• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, not to pile on there or anything, but that Root article is bad. It's all about the melanin thing and not about the "Jews are savages," "true children of Israel," "THE ROTHSCHILDS" stuff. I don't give a fuck about the melanin inferiority thing. That's not what the issue is. Dripping with whataboutism too, which only holds together because it's focusing on the stuff he said about white people writ large instead of the actually specifically anti-Semitic content.

Cannon's apology checks all the boxes, but I'm definitely in a "wait and see" mode for him. Half of making an apology is doing the work.
The Root article purposefully sidesteps the core issue because the author doesn't want to, or doesn't care to, or doesn't see an issue with it to address

Alternatively it's The Root and no one should be linking to it seriously

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The Root article purposefully sidesteps the core issue because the author doesn't want to, or doesn't care to, or doesn't see an issue with it to address

Alternatively it's The Root and no one should be linking to it seriously
The Root's fine, writ large. Read plenty of good stuff from them. This particular article, not so much.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Michael Harriot has an interesting take over at theroot. It's a good read.

www.theroot.com

Thank You, Nick Cannon

Entertainment giant Viacom CBS fired television host, comedian and former Atlanta A&T percussionist Nick Cannon on Tuesday for making comments many classified as derogatory, racist and anti-Semitic on his podcast “Cannon’s Class.” Cannon’s show Wild ‘N Out was in its 15th season on Viacom-owned...
So many paragraphs for a simple whatabout white supremacy though.

Mar 18, 2019
Seems like "Jews" got trending after the Nick Cannon controversy. While blacks and Jews are mostly allies against white supremacy, there have been some tensions building up between certain sections of the black and Jewish communities for a while now. It's a sticky situation.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Good article from Soraya McDonald

theundefeated.com

I’m a Jew of color. I won’t be quiet about anti-Semitism.

I still remember the look of discomfort my friend Danielle Scruggs shot me as our professor went on an extended rant in an undergraduate journalism class at How…

It's good in that it does a great job discussing her background and how she fits into two worlds but it doesn't really have much substance regarding the recent issues beyond just mentioning that it's scary.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like "Jews" got trending after the Nick Cannon controversy. While blacks and Jews are mostly allies against white supremacy, there have been some tensions building up between certain sections of the black and Jewish communities for a while now. It's a sticky situation.
Why do you call it a "sticky situation"? No degree of anti-semitic sentiment deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing sticky about it, just don't be a hateful anti-semite. It's pretty clear cut imo.

Good article from Soraya McDonald

theundefeated.com

I’m a Jew of color. I won’t be quiet about anti-Semitism.

I still remember the look of discomfort my friend Danielle Scruggs shot me as our professor went on an extended rant in an undergraduate journalism class at How…
Interesting read but if sort of feels like the bottom half is missing. "But unlike in that long-ago journalism class, now is not the time for me to shrink back, to remain quiet." is one of the closing remarks. I'd love to have some perspective from a black jewish person on how to tackle this latent anti-semitism that now rears its head and lots of celebs feel safe to publicly display. What went wrong and how can we improve this?

Jun 7, 2018
Alongside the evangelical aspect of support for Israel from anti-semites, there's also the angle that, seeing as the Jews have a homeland, a far right leader could try and expel Jewish people using the excuse that "they have their own place to live, no need to be here any more."

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of it is ignorance- you have to remember that the population of American Jews is something like <3% and most of those are assimilated and live in the larger cities- so the majority of Americans have never even met a Jew. Most of them only know the American Jewish experience from shows like Seinfeld and The Goldbergs (which ironically don't have much Jewish elements in them at all).

I had a Catholic girlfriend whose father used to say it was time to watch "Sein-jew" every time Seinfeld came on. Her mother used to ask me constant questions about Judaism, even though she worked at a major Boston hospital, and worked with plenty of other Jewish physicians and staff for over 30yrs.
I hate when people who live in rural areas ask me about Jewish culture and religion. They could just Google stuff. I don't want to be their link to the Jewish world.

The questions always make me cringe inside.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is that there appears to be growing antisemitism from a minority of blacks, and growing anti-blackness from a minority of Jews.

Where is there any source of anti-blackness from Jews coming from?

Not that Jews can't be racist or anything but I've never seen anything suggesting Jews specifically are starting to have an anti-black sentiment, even from a minority.

Mar 18, 2019

Not that Jews can't be racist or anything but I've never seen anything suggesting Jews specifically are starting to have an anti-black sentiment, even from a minority.
There is a growing number of Jews abandoning the left and moving to the right. There are also a number of prominent Jewish members of the alt-right and/or far-right.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

I remember one prominent black poster here (since banned, but not for this) saying "Jews don't care about poor people".

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
There is a growing number of Jews abandoning the left and moving to the right. There are a number of Jews involved in alt-right and far-right politics.

That doesn't necessarily mean they are becoming racist towards black people.

Also do you have a source that shows that this number is increasing? Jews have always been on both sides of the political spectrum, though the majority has usually been on the left.

Mar 18, 2019
That doesn't necessarily mean they are becoming racist towards black people.

Also do you have a source that shows that this number is increasing? Jews have always been on both sides of the political spectrum, though the majority has usually been on the left.
There is plenty of anti-black racism in Israel against black Jews. And in America, there are Jewish anti-BLM racists like Ben Shapiro, as well as Jewish groups which support Trump. Again, they only represent a small minority of Jews, but they do exist.

In the UK, there was a poll that shows the majority of British Jews voted Conservative over Labour. In the past, most UK Jews were Labour. Though the shift can be largely attributed to growing anti-Zionism and pro-Palestine views in the Corbyn-led Labour Party, not necessarily anti-blackness. But it does put many UK blacks (majority left and pro-Corbyn) and UK Jews (now majority right and anti-Corbyn) on opposing sides of the political spectrum.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
There is plenty of anti-black racism in Israel against black Jews. And in America, there are Jewish anti-BLM racists like Ben Shapiro, as well as Jewish groups which support Trump. Again, they only represent a small minority of Jews, but they do exist.

In the UK, there was a poll that shows the majority of British Jews voted Conservative over Labour. In the past, most UK Jews were Labour. Though the shift can be largely attributed to growing anti-Zionism and pro-Palestine views in the Corbyn-led Labour Party, not necessarily anti-blackness. But it does put UK blacks (majority left and pro-Corbyn) and UK Jews (now majority right and anti-Corbyn) on opposing sides of the political spectrum.
What on earth are you even arguing at this point? Nobody denied that there exist racist Jews. You started off saying that there's a history of tension and it's a sticky situation and you have yet to explain that. Now you're just citing examples where there exist a lot of conservative Jews. You're also not actually showing a rise in racism amongst Jews. and you're bringing up the UK when the recent examples have been from American celebrities and athletes where Jews vote overwhelmingly Democratic plus the Labour Party was painted as antisemitic(not arguing whether they are or not).

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
There is a growing number of Jews abandoning the left and moving to the right. There are also a number of prominent Jewish members of the alt-right and/or far-right.
Proof? Articles?

Most American Jews I know are liberal. The few "prominent Jews" you see who are members of the "alt-right" usually don't acknowledge their Jewish heritage (Stephen Miller) and the others (ie: Kushner, Mnuchin, etc) are just in it for the money/power.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever met a Jewish Republican, they tend to be mostly Orthodox Jews, and are usually in league with the GOP because of the Evangelical Christian Zionist movement (who are ironically some of the most antisemitic people you'd ever meet).

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Honestly, I don't think I've ever met a Jewish Republican, they tend to be mostly Orthodox Jews, and are usually in league with the GOP because of the Evangelical Christian Zionist movement (who are ironically some of the most antisemitic people you'd ever meet).
Yeah. Most of the Hasidics I knew in Brooklyn were pro Trump simply because of his stance on Israel. Despite him being a clearly anti-semitic man himself. But that's more of an issue with the very specific bubble which they live within.

I would definitely not say the average Jewish American person is moving right. There's no evidence or that.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

Are there? Gallop compared survey results and found no real statistical difference from 2016 to 2018.

news.gallup.com

American Jews, Politics and Israel

American Jews remain both strongly Democratic in their political orientation and highly supportive of Israel.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah. Most of the Hasidics I knew in Brooklyn were pro Trump simply because of his stance on Israel. Despite him being a clearly anti-semitic man himself. But that's more of an issue with the very specific bubble which they live within.

I would definitely not say the average Jewish American person is moving right. There's no evidence or that.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/12/donald-trump-anti-semitic-remarks

Hahaha. Remember that? And yet they still back him. Disgusting.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It exists in some neighborhoods but it's a tension between both sides.

Where I lived in Crown Heights Brooklyn there is a HARD divide between the black part of the neighborhood and the Jewish Hasidic side. Literally cut in half like there's a border. They have had a lot of race related violence over the years that still continues. They have a permanent NYPD command center where the two halves of the neighborhood meet for that reason. There is extreme animosity between those two communities.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017

In the UK, there was a poll that shows the majority of British Jews voted Conservative over Labour. In the past, most UK Jews were Labour. Though the shift can be largely attributed to growing anti-Zionism and pro-Palestine views in the Corbyn-led Labour Party, not necessarily anti-blackness. But it does put many UK blacks (majority left and pro-Corbyn) and UK Jews (now majority right and anti-Corbyn) on opposing sides of the political spectrum.

I think you're simplifying the situation with regards to UK Jews greatly. If you look at the last election results for Finchley and Golders Green (as a very Jewish area), for example, they almost voted in Labour in 2017, but the vote was split heavily between Labour and the Lib Dems in 2019, allowing the Tories to squeeze through the middle without an outright majority of votes.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
It exists in some neighborhoods but it's a tension between both sides.

Where I lived in Crown Heights there is a HARD divide between the black part of the neighborhood and the Jewish Hasidic side. Literally cut in half like there's a border. They have had a lot of race related violence over the years that still continues. They have a permanent NYPD command center where the two halves of the neighborhood meet for that reason. There is extreme animosity between those two communities.
That's such a small outlier of the American Jewish experience tho. Only ~10% of American Jews are Orthodox and probably ~1% of those are Hasidic.

Mar 18, 2019
What on earth are you even arguing at this point? Nobody denied that there exist racist Jews. You started off saying that there's a history of tension and it's a sticky situation and you have yet to explain that. Now you're just citing examples where there exist a lot of conservative Jews. You're also not actually showing a rise in racism amongst Jews. and you're bringing up the UK when the recent examples have been from American celebrities and athletes where Jews vote overwhelmingly Democratic plus the Labour Party was painted as antisemitic(not arguing whether they are or not).
African American–Jewish relations

There is a long history of tensions between certain sections of the black and Jewish communities (though they only represent a minority of both communities). That includes racism/antisemitism/anti-blackness coming from both sides. It's not just one-sided black antisemitism like you're trying to present it.

I mentioned the UK because that's where I live. But I doubt the situation is a whole lot different in the US. In both countries, the Palestine-Israel issue has become a big deal for Jewish communities, enough for a significant number of Jews to switch sides from liberal parties to conservative parties because they feel "betrayed" by left-wingers who have taken anti-Zionist/pro-Palestine positions. In turn, this gives some blacks the false impression that Jews care more about Israel than minorities in the UK or US.

Last edited:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I have black jewish relatives who are trump supporters and it's still hard to wrap my head around

julian

Oct 27, 2017

There is a long history of tensions between certain sections of the black and Jewish communities (though they only represent a minority of both communities). That includes racism/antisemitism/anti-blackness coming from both sides. It's not just one-sided black antisemitism like you're trying to present it.
I'm not trying to do that at all and you even admit these tensions are between small groups within both communities. But good to know if somebody is being blatantly antisemitic or racist you'll brush it away with, "it's a sticky situation", post a wikipedia article and think you're actually making an argument.

And again, where are you getting that there is a rise in racism among Jews? That's nowhere in the wikipedia page.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I mentioned the UK because that's where I live. But I doubt the situation is a whole lot different in the US. In both countries, the Palestine-Israel issue has become a big deal for Jewish communities, enough for many Jews who were formerly liberals to side with conservatives (including some racists) because they feel betrayed by left-wingers who have taken anti-Zionist/pro-Palestine positions. I believe this has played a role in the recent surge in black antisemitism, because it gives the impression that Jews don't care about other minorities (including blacks) but only care about Israel (not saying this is true, but that's a somewhat false perception that some minorities have about Jews).

You're claiming that "anti-blackness" among Jews is growing, not that it exists. You've shared zero evidence of that.

Atenhaus

Oct 25, 2017
Puget Sound
He's getting it from his own ass while simultaneously claiming there's a rightward shift among Jews because of Israel and Palestine - while providing no evidence of it

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I have black jewish relatives who are trump supporters and it's still hard to wrap my head around
Curious- Are they Jewish or are they members of cults like Jews for Jesus? (They consider themselves Jewish). I ask because there are such a small number of Black Jews, the majority of them are Falashas (Ethiopian Jews) who live in Israel. The rest are usually of bi-racial marriages or converts.

When I went to day camp as a kid in NYC in the late 70's/80's there was one black jew who was a Falasha.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019
Evidence of a rightward shift among Jews in the UK and US:

United Kingdom:
Polls: Despite mixed opinions on Brexit, 93% of UK Jews won't vote for Labour

United States:
Trump took office in January 2017, and Gallup's aggregated surveys conducted from February through December of that year show that 68% of Jews identified as Democratic or as independents who leaned toward the Democratic Party, while 28% identified as or leaned Republican.

In 2018, those numbers were 59% Democratic and 36% Republican.

This shift is definitely much stronger in the UK, due to many British Jews perceiving the then Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn (who happens to be popular among black Brits) to be "antisemitic" (due to Corbyn's pro-Palestine and anti-Israel stance). But there is also a similar (though lesser) righward shift among American Jews as well.

P.S. I condemn Nick Cannon's antisemitic remarks. I don't agree at all with anything Nick Cannon said about Jews. I'm not trying to defend him at all. So don't take this the wrong way.

Last edited:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Curious- Are they Jewish or are they members of cults like Jews for Jesus? (They consider themselves Jewish). I ask because there are such a small number of Black Jews, the majority of them are Falashas (Ethiopian Jews) who live in Israel. The rest are usually of bi-racial marriages or converts.

When I went to day camp as a kid in NYC in the late 70's/80's there was one black jew who was a Falasha.
yeah, they're biracial jews

their mother, however, got into the Jews for Jesus thing and has made family gatherings super uncomfortable ever since

Wag

Nov 3, 2017

United Kingdom:

United States:

This shift is definitely much stronger in the UK, due to many British Jews perceiving former Labour leader Corbyn (who happens to be popular among UK blacks) to be "antisemitic" (due to Corbyn's pro-Palestine and anti-Israel stance). But there is also a similar (though lesser) righward shift in the US as well.

BTW, I condemn Nick Cannon's antisemitic remarks. I don't agree at all with anything Nick Cannon said about Jews. I'm not trying to defend him at all. So don't take this the wrong way.
The Democratic orientation of the Jewish population is a very well-established fact of American political life.
The clear majority of Jewish Americans identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party, and we find no evidence that this has changed significantly during the Trump administration so far.

Nice cherry picking there.

If you read the article it says that the majority of Jews in states where there are the most Jews are Democrat. It also says in places like Florida Jews tend to vote more 1:1 Democrat:GOP. Doesn't surprise me. I assume that Fl makes up most of the right-leaning Jews in that poll. Fl is fucking nuts.

Oh yeah, and Jews for Jesus is one of the most anti-semitic cults you'll ever come across.

Mar 18, 2019
Nice cherry picking there.

If you read the article it says that the majority of Jews in states where there are the most Jews are Democrat. It also says in places like Florida Jews tend to vote more 1:1 Democrat:GOP. Doesn't surprise me. I assume that Fl makes up most of the right-leaning Jews in that poll. Fl is fucking nuts.

Oh yeah, and Jews for Jesus is one of the most anti-semitic cults you'll ever come across.
I didn't "cherry pick" anything. I already said that there was a "lesser" shift (relative to British Jews) among American Jews. The stats I quoted show the Democrat:Republican split was 68:28 in 2017 and has now lessened to 59:36 in 2018. I already said earlier on that it was a minority of Jews who were switching sides, not the majority.

What are FI and Jews for Jesus? I'm not too familiar with these US organizations (like I said, I'm from the UK).

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

United Kingdom:

United States:

This shift is definitely much stronger in the UK, due to many British Jews perceiving former Labour leader Corbyn (who happens to be popular among UK blacks) to be "antisemitic" (due to Corbyn's pro-Palestine and anti-Israel stance). But there is also a similar (though lesser) righward shift in the US as well.

BTW, I condemn Nick Cannon's antisemitic remarks. I don't agree at all with anything Nick Cannon said about Jews. I'm not trying to defend him at all. So don't take this the wrong way.

The shift against Labour was much more because it was perceived as anti-Jewish rather than just anti-Israel, including Jewish conspiracy theories and Holocaust denial. Of course the right took advantage of it and exploited it, but the damage was done. (summed up nicely here https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45030552).

In the US, 70% of Jews voted Democrat in 2016. I don't see that shifting. Jews are by far the most liberal leaning religion in the US (according to your article). In 2020 so far, approx 70% disapprove of Trump and 30% approve which fits in with historic voting.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

United Kingdom:
This shift is definitely much stronger in the UK, due to many British Jews perceiving the then Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn (who happens to be popular among black Brits) to be "antisemitic" (due to Corbyn's pro-Palestine and anti-Israel stance). But there is also a similar (though lesser) righward shift among American Jews as well.

As you mention this case isn't particularly relevant as Corbyn's campaign had the unique factor of being painted as massively anti-Semitic. It was one of the chief talking points of the election.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I didn't "cherry pick" anything. I already said that there was a "lesser" shift (relative to British Jews) among American Jews. The stats I quoted show the Democrat:Republican split was 68:28 in 2017 and has now lessened to 59:36 in 2018. I already said earlier on that it was a minority of Jews who were switching sides, not the majority.

What are FI and Jews for Jesus? I'm not too familiar with these US organizations (like I said, I'm from the UK).
Fl=Florida.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews_for_Jesus

They're a cult. They're in the UK as well.