• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OniBarubary

Nov 30, 2017
I'm not seeing outright Holocaust denial but I have seen multiple whatboutism posts about it going "Yeah, everybody always talking about the Holocaust so they can get sympathy but nobody talks about the Black Holocaust in 1890."

Also if this causes you to stop supporting BLM you aren't and never were an ally, you were a useful warm body to boost numbers, you got your clout now you can fucking bounce. Jewish people were right there in the Civil Rights movement, represented disproportionately among the white people by an absurd amount. The Mississippi Freedom Summer in 64 had literally half of the white people involved being Jews. People who 20-30 years before went through the Holocaust and saw what it was like to be treated as less than human.

Like for fucking real, if you're a Jew and don't support Black Lives Matter or all the movements against racism today...like what the fuck are you even?

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not seeing outright Holocaust denial but I have seen multiple whatboutism posts about it going "Yeah, everybody always talking about the Holocaust so they can get sympathy but nobody talks about the Black Holocaust in 1890."

Also if this causes you to stop supporting BLM you aren't and never were an ally, you were a useful warm body to boost numbers, you got your clout now you can fucking bounce. Jewish people were right there in the Civil Rights movement, represented disproportionately among the white people by an absurd amount. The Mississippi Freedom Summer in 64 had literally half of the white people involved being Jews. People who 20-30 years before went through the Holocaust and saw what it was like to be treated as less than human.

Like for fucking real, if you're a Jew and don't support Black Lives Matter or all the movements against racism today...like what the fuck are you even?
Pretty sure most are pro-BLM, myself included.
But that doesn't really have anything to do with all this bullshit these anti-semites are spewing.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The people who support what Desean & Steven Jackson, Ice Cube and NOI are extremely homophobic. Given his support of his trans daughter I doubt he is co-signing with there views.

I don't believe that it took him his 3rd attempt to realize that what Cannon was saying was in fact antisemitic and it was because he didn't do any research what so ever on the topic before but decided to double down about "platform". Genuinely don't care what Wade has been progressive about. I do not believe this, I'm sorry but I just don't

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
This is absolutely disheartening. I went on Twitter today to see friends whom of which were adamant supporters of BLM and advocating anti-racism in many ways coming out to defend Nick Cannon. All of them consider themselves progressive and staunch defenders of the people and I went out to protests with them and did everything else along side them. How the fuck is this even happening or allowed to happen? This is not okay. I even confronted them about it and none of them can come up with why its okay and try and dismiss it with, "I don't want to argue with you."

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I don't want any of these fuckers to hold back. Tell us how you really feel, let this moment embolden you. We're fetishised and loathed in equal measures anyway, might as well be out in the open.

Been extremely discouraging seeing the steady rise of casual anti-semitism in recent years from all corners, and now these past few weeks from famous voices, with so little pushback from their peers. I know it's not a majority and Twitter is its own unique cesspool, but what a needless and demoralizing distraction in a time we're trying to push for change together.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This should be posted here too:

Nick Cannon @NickCannon

First and foremost I extend my deepest and most sincere apologies to my Jewish sisters and brothers for the hurtful and divisive words that came out of my mouth during my interview with Richard Griffin.

They reinforced the worst stereotypes of a proud and magnificent people and I feel ashamed of the uninformed and naïve place that these words came from. The video of this interview has since been removed.

While the Jewish experience encompasses more than 5,000 years and there is so much I have yet to learn, I have had at least a minor history lesson over the past few days and to say that it is eye-opening would be a vast understatement.

I want to express my gratitude to the Rabbis, community leaders and institutions who reached out to me to help enlighten me, instead of chastising me.

I want to assure my Jewish friends, new and old, that this is only the beginning of my education—I am committed to deeper connections, more profound learning and strengthening the bond between our two cultures today and every day going forward.

10:08 PM · Jul 15, 2020

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
What are his thoughts on Jewish melanin?

These people don't deserve to have their "apologies" spread. It's just damage control, Nick Cannon made his position perfectly clear the first time around, now that his career could end up on the trash heap, an apology rings a little hollow.

I eagerly await ice cubes apology and learning opportunity.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
What are his thoughts on Jewish melanin?

These people don't deserve to have their "apologies" spread. It's just damage control, Nick Cannon made his position perfectly clear the first time around, now that his career could end up on the trash heap, an apology rings a little hollow.

I eagerly await ice cubes apology and learning opportunity.

Ice Cube has been posting crazy vile nonsense for ages. I doubt he'll back down on anything.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like another day on Twitter. I'm so glad I don't use social media.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I mean... I'm glad Cannon apologized, but he had a chance already and he blew it.

It doesn't affect me, personally, what he thinks as long as he keeps it to himself. The problem is he explicitly did not. What can he do to make up for it? Dunno, not up to me. If this can evolve the conversation on antisemitism, I'll call that a net win.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
are all the people that endorsed nick cannon and his views gonna apologize too? how can anybody take any of their apologies seriously? its straight up damage control.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

Who is this post aimed at? I'm not sure I've seen a single poster say they would stop supporting BLM because of this. Disappointment in prominent BLM voices? Sure, but that's not the same thing at all.

But for any who don't know, I'll also add that before the I Have A Dream speech was a speech by Rabbi Prinz.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
This is absolutely disheartening. I went on Twitter today to see friends whom of which were adamant supporters of BLM and advocating anti-racism in many ways coming out to defend Nick Cannon. All of them consider themselves progressive and staunch defenders of the people and I went out to protests with them and did everything else along side them. How the fuck is this even happening or allowed to happen? This is not okay. I even confronted them about it and none of them can come up with why its okay and try and dismiss it with, "I don't want to argue with you."
How? I'm Jewish and there is just so much antisemitism out there it's considered "acceptable". There's plenty of it even on this forum which is just basically ignored.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
How? I'm Jewish and there is just so much antisemitism out there it's considered "acceptable". There's plenty of it even on this forum which is just basically ignored.

Im not so much surprised it exists as much as I am that it was this far spread and ingrained into people. I guess I gave people the benefit of the doubt but they all ended up showing their ass. I definitely don't think that now.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Im not so much surprised it exists as much as I am that it was this far spread and ingrained into people. I guess I gave people the benefit of the doubt but they all ended up showing their ass. I definitely don't think that now.
A lot of it is ignorance- you have to remember that the population of American Jews is something like <3% and most of those are assimilated and live in the larger cities- so the majority of Americans have never even met a Jew. Most of them only know the American Jewish experience from shows like Seinfeld and The Goldbergs (which ironically don't have much Jewish elements in them at all).

I had a Catholic girlfriend whose father used to say it was time to watch "Sein-jew" every time Seinfeld came on. Her mother used to ask me constant questions about Judaism, even though she worked at a major Boston hospital, and worked with plenty of other Jewish physicians and staff for over 30yrs.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
I'm not surprised. It's been there seething under the surface. It's easy to punch down when you think your punching up.
This is the crux of the problem isn't it? Or at least part of it. Progressive politics/spaces can often be pretty bad on antisemitism, because anyone who has even slightly internalised tropes about Jewish people thinks they are punching up (or at least don't think that they are punching down). If you view most of the world through a material lense or your politics focuses on the disparities of power in society, then it's very easy to fall into the trap of believing the narratives about Jewish wealth and power and therefore not really believing, deep down, that they can face 'real discrimination'. Add in the more conspiratorial worldview of some left wing people (and how hand in glove conspiracies about elites etc fit with antisemitism) and you have a real recipe for it.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs

I'm a Jew I support BLM and I'm just worried that this topic will be used by the right to erode all the work BLM has done in the past months. I'm ready for the shitty family I'll have to be around and my ex-church patrons to ramp up the rhetoric about "BLMers hate Jews, Cotton, how can you support them?"

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Yeah I clicked on that trend and saw people saying blacks are the real Jewish people and noped out. Twitter needs to crack down on this garbage. They can take this shit to Gab or whatever.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Jew I support BLM and I'm just worried that this topic will be used by the right to erode all the work BLM has done in the past months. I'm ready for the shitty family I'll have to be around and my ex-church patrons to ramp up the rhetoric about "BLMers hate Jews, Cotton, how can you support them?"

the right will absolutely use Jews as pawns to push more racism. the right will use anything to push more racism. it's fuck them always.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

All you can do is keep your ethics and your morals and stay educated and for the cause. Where black lives matter was 5 years ago and where it is now is now is not due to assholes like DeSean Jackson, Stepheh Jackson, Ice Cube, Durant and others. The people doing the ground work with strong ethics will continue to strive for better. Best you can do is simply talk about the good the on the ground movement is doing.

We in the black community need to fix this shit. It's embarassing. All the support and love is appreciated, dont get me wrong. But we need to fix this.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Michael Harriot has an interesting take over at theroot. It's a good read.

www.theroot.com

Thank You, Nick Cannon

Entertainment giant Viacom CBS fired television host, comedian and former Atlanta A&T percussionist Nick Cannon on Tuesday for making comments many classified as derogatory, racist and anti-Semitic on his podcast “Cannon’s Class.” Cannon’s show Wild ‘N Out was in its 15th season on Viacom-owned...

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

www.theroot.com

Thank You, Nick Cannon

Entertainment giant Viacom CBS fired television host, comedian and former Atlanta A&T percussionist Nick Cannon on Tuesday for making comments many classified as derogatory, racist and anti-Semitic on his podcast “Cannon’s Class.” Cannon’s show Wild ‘N Out was in its 15th season on Viacom-owned...

striking me as a pretty awful read tbh

checked out at the whataboutism involving trump

As soon as Cannon's comments hit social media, people rightfully trotted out the well-worn "if a white person said that" argument, conveniently forgetting the white people who actually said that. There is a man sitting in the Oval Office at the White House who has similar statements about Mexicans, Muslims, Jews and Black people all the time. Donald Trump's senior adviser (Stephen Miller), his former Attorney General (Jeff Sessions) and his newest nominee to the National Security Election Board (Sebastian Gorka, among others), all believe in the white supremacist versions of Yakub's theory.

if you have to "but trump" this then you know you fucked up

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
ew.com

Fox to keep Nick Cannon as 'Masked Singer' host: 'He is remorseful'

Fox has decided to stick with Cannon despite anti-Semitic comments: 'He is clear and remorseful that his words were wrong...'

Fox has decided to stick with Nick Cannon as host of The Masked Singer.

Despite Cannon's anti-Semitic comments on a recent podcast – and ViacomCBS firing him from his improv show Wild 'N Out – the broadcast network has elected to keep the entertainer as the host as its hit reality competition series, which is moving into its fourth season.

"When we were made aware of Nick Cannon's interview with Richard Griffin on YouTube, we immediately began a dialogue with Nick," Fox said in a statement obtained by EW. "He is clear and remorseful that his words were wrong and lacked both understanding and context, and inadvertently promoted hate. This was important for us to observe. Nick has sincerely apologized and quickly taken steps to educate himself and make amends. On that basis and given a belief that this moment calls for dialogue, we will move forward with Nick and help him advance this important conversation, broadly. Fox condemns all forms of hate directed toward any community and we will combat bigotry of any kind."

I think its fair. I am glad he's getting the benefit of the doubt. Usually black people never get the benefit of anything. Hopefully his actions will back up his words and the faith Fox TV has put into him.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

www.theroot.com

Thank You, Nick Cannon

My main issue with it is that he doesn't seem to really tackle the antisemitic portion of Nick Cannon's comments, it's almost entirely about white people's response to some additional things he said that were racist towards white people. To that end, I completely agree with him that while what Nick Cannon said is racist, it doesn't reinforce a racist system of power so it's not quite the same when a white person does it. It's just disappointing though that he seems to gloss over the fact that white Jewish people are not in quite the same position as white people that aren't Jewish.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

www.theroot.com

Thank You, Nick Cannon

It more or less completely ignores the antisemitism though. It mentions the fact that his comments were deeply antisemitic but then only goes on to compare and contrast his racist remarks to white supremacy. It even mentions the fact that black people have marched with white people against all sorts of injustices but fails to mention that Jews also marched with black people against injustices towards black people.

It like, completely misses the point of why people are angry.

ew.com

Fox has decided to stick with Cannon despite anti-Semitic comments: 'He is clear and remorseful that his words were wrong...'

I think its fair. I am glad he's getting the benefit of the doubt. Usually black people never get the benefit of anything. Hopefully his actions will back up his words and the faith Fox TV has put into him.

I mean, I agree to an extent that maybe he was simply ignorant about what he was saying. So yeah, maybe he lacked understanding. But they are saying his words lacked context? What context exactly could have helped improve what he was saying? I don't buy it at all.

I agree that a second chance and benefit of the doubt are good things, and hopefully his apology is genuine. But I hate when people make excuses about this stuff lacking context. Shannon Sharpe did the same thing about Desean Jackson's post.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
why do I care about the apology he just made through gritted teeth because he was worried about losing all his platforms?

In any case, as a Jewish person in europe I am both exasperated by the level of flippant antisemitism I assumed didn't exist in the US and the fact that it's already becoming a way to try and discredit BLM/being used to finger wag at all black people or something. All of this is just gross

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My main issue with it is that he doesn't seem to really tackle the antisemitic portion of Nick Cannon's comments, it's almost entirely about white people's response to some additional things he said that were racist towards white people. To that end, I completely agree with him that while what Nick Cannon said is racist, it doesn't reinforce a racist system of power so it's not quite the same when a white person does it. It's just disappointing though that he seems to gloss over the fact that white Jewish people are not in quite the same position as white people that aren't Jewish.

and the fact that beliefs like Cannon's have caused and lead directly to suffering and violence

that article very much feels like a "yeah what he said was bad BUT!" kind of thing and it seems to ignore the fact that the end result of Cannon's thinking is Jewish suffering. it doesn't matter if he's perpetuating a system of oppression or not, though obviously the very fabric of western society is steeped in antisemitism so even that bit falls flat.

AriesM4rch

Oct 27, 2017
The issue with statements like this is that racist chuds will use this as ammo to demean BLM as a whole and think Nick represents all black people.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

www.theroot.com

Thank You, Nick Cannon

There is nothing good about this read. This doesn't address the antisemitism at all.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

www.theroot.com

Thank You, Nick Cannon

It's full on whataboutism. It also completely avoid mentioning the anti-semetic things Cannon has said and fails to lay the proper context for why people are upset.

I agree that the cops need defunding, the NFL is total shit and the White House is the White Supremacy House. I object loudly to all those things and support BLM in order to force change, but that's not the issue here.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

www.theroot.com

Thank You, Nick Cannon

The old it's ok that he's racist because other people are racist argument and completely ignores his anti-semitic statements.

Honestly, these articles and positions of people put things like BLM and general race relations in a tenuous position. It threatens to undermine everything. Taking the position that all white people are racist and POC can't be racist or their racism is excusable, is not going to garner support for meaningful change. At a time where mass support is reaching critical mass, this is the worst possible timing.

This whole ordeal kicked off literally based on supporting Hitler (regardless of the fact it was a fake quote), yet somehow people are finding ways to excuse that thought process and behavior. Fuck that, denounce it without exception, if the word "but" even enters the discussion, you're part of the problem.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ew.com

This is also tiring. Why does this need to (1) suddenly become a referendum on all black people by conservative americans as if all black people are anti-semitic and need to answer for it; and (2) become part of a discussion larger than what it is about. It should just be about the fact he made (and has a history of making) anti-semitic comments (I don't care about the dumb "antiwhite" video people keep posting, if Nick Cannon wants to be a cornball let him be one). This doesn't need to become an OJ Simpson moment and I'm exasperated that it is becoming one

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with this. Promoting and excusing antisemitism absolutely reinforces a racist system of power. Driving divisions between minority groups elevates those with power.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
All you can do is keep your ethics and your morals and stay educated and for the cause. Where black lives matter was 5 years ago and where it is now is now is not due to assholes like DeSean Jackson, Stepheh Jackson, Ice Cube, Durant and others. The people doing the ground work with strong ethics will continue to strive for better. Best you can do is simply talk about the good the on the ground movement is doing.

We in the black community need to fix this shit. It's embarassing. All the support and love is appreciated, dont get me wrong. But we need to fix this.

You're absolutely right!

I have no worries that BLM overall will overcome this bump in the road. I am doing everything I can to fight off misinformation in my small corner of the world and promote BLM.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I don't agree with this. Promoting and excusing antisemitism absolutely reinforces a racist system of power. Driving divisions between minority groups elevates those with power.

I wasn't referring to antisemitism, I was referring to Nick Cannon's racist statements towards non-Jewish white people.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

www.theroot.com

Thank You, Nick Cannon

That was a long winded way to say " Some uncomfortable things were said BUT here's a between lines take on why it isn't that bad....."

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This is ... one take. I certainly (as an ashkenazi) don't buy into his theories of black supremacy or whatever but racism involves a power structure and I don't think Nick Cannon being prejudiced affects white people in any systemic way

Okay, this is getting frustrating. I am Ashkenazi too btw. I was referring to the article. The article spends the majority of its time speaking about white supremacy as a system of power that is used to oppress black people.

Nick Cannon made several antisemitic remarks while also saying something racist about white people as a whole, not Ashkenazi jews, but white people. That is what the article spends the vast majority of its time talking about, the racist comment towards white people. I was agreeing with the person who wrote the article that Nick Cannon saying something racist about white people does not reinforce a system of power because black people are not in power. The antisemitic remarks are different and more complicated because Jewish people are generally not oppressed in the way black people are but they are also targeted by extremist hate groups more than any other minority per capita. Not to mention that there is a very long history of violence against Jewish people that speech like that is a lot more dangerous.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Okay, this is getting frustrating. I am Ashkenazi too btw. I was referring to the article. The article spends the majority of its time speaking about white supremacy as a system of power that is used to oppress black people.

Nick Cannon made several antisemitic remarks while also saying something racist about white people as a whole, not Ashkenazi jews, but white people. That is what the article spends the vast majority of its time talking about, the racist comment towards white people. I was agreeing with the person who wrote the article that Nick Cannon saying something racist about white people does not reinforce a system of power because black people are not in power. The antisemitic remarks are different and more complicated because Jewish people are generally not oppressed in the way black people are but they are also targeted by extremist hate groups more than any other minority per capita. Not to mention that there is a very long history of violence against Jewish people that speech like that is a lot more dangerous.
I already edited my post - I went back and followed the conversation. To be honest, I don't think we were saying anything particularly different which is why I went in and removed what I said

But, yeah I guess my point holds regarding: "while also saying something racist about white people as a whole" because I don't think you can really be racist against white people.

edit: I get the feeling we are just confusing each other (or at least I am getting confused) so I'd rather stop the conversation at this point

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not to pile on there or anything, but that Root article is bad. It's all about the melanin thing and not about the "Jews are savages," "true children of Israel," "THE ROTHSCHILDS" stuff. I don't give a fuck about the melanin inferiority thing. That's not what the issue is. Dripping with whataboutism too, which only holds together because it's focusing on the stuff he said about white people writ large instead of the actually specifically anti-Semitic content.

Cannon's apology checks all the boxes, but I'm definitely in a "wait and see" mode for him. Half of making an apology is doing the work.