• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So last night I had one of the most unpleasant experiences as an Uber driver. For reference, I've had over 7k trips over the course of several years and I've never ever had to call the cops to get someone out of my car before. But tonight I had to make that decision unfortunately. So to back it up to the beginning, this young black woman in her early 20s gets into my car here in Atlanta about 3:30 in the morning. Pretty much my last rider on Saturday night time. We proceed to get started and I noticed that her mask was down around her chin to which I told her to pull it up. I paid my attention back on the road for a bit and then did a visual check about 20 seconds later to make sure that she was following my directions. She had not and I told her again to please pull your mask up! She then pulled it up and then complained on the phone about how "all these drivers are doing the most" or some such bullshit to which I had to respond that 2K people died yesterday and I did not want to be one of those tomorrow.

She then proceeded to tell her friend over the phone that I was such a faggot to which of course I asked her to confirm what my ears just heard to which she then lied about it and things definitely started escalating from there. We started getting into a back and forth about COVID-19 then her friend on the phone told her to calm down but in the process of doing that also decided to hurl the f slur at me "he is definitely such a faggot" to which I abruptly proceeded to step on the brakes on the freeway and pulled over to the shoulder and told her to get the fuck out of my car. She said "I'm a black female and it's late at night and I have a dead phone, I'm not getting out of your car!" to which I then said "No, I ended the ride, get the hell out of my car" She then said, "you're about to lose your job for putting me out on the freeway" So I then took the nearest exit which was near Atlantic Station which is a fairly upscale and quiet part of town and told her to get out near this fire station. She then decided to yell at me several more slurs in quick succession and told me I nearly went into the wall and could've hurt her (I did not, I had complete control of the vehicle from start to finish of the session, I'm not an idiot) I told her to get out, she refused. I then said "I'm gonna have to call the cops" She then said "go ahead and do it, I'm not leaving, you're about to lose your job" and so I had no choice at that point. I called APD and told them the situation and then got out of my car with my coat and mask and just sat outside and waited for the police to come. In the interim, I offered to have her phone charged so that she could catch another Uber and I could go home so long as she calmed down and apologized. She then proceeded to scream at me that I was a "faggot ass ugly nigga" among several other things that I don't really quite remember now that I've woken up. (I really wish I had recorded this y'all, she was bonkers) So an offering of peace and a deescalation was out of the picture at this point. I then sat down and waited as she continued to scream at me slurs from my car and how I was endangering her this and that. A woman cop showed up about 35 or so minutes after I called the police, I told her what was going on - funny note here: as I was telling her what happened, it dawned on her that THE WOMAN WAS STILL IN MY CAR and she was like wait, she's still there? Hold on lemme solve this real quick. She then walked over to the car and said "baby girl, you gotta get out of here, this is this man's car and he told you to get out" She thankfully promptly did so and was talking to the cop briefly and I decided at this point that I needed to go home and so I did.

So yeah, fun night here in Atlanta hah.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, sorry you had to put up with that shit. Thanks for keeping on providing a service that goes so underappreciated especially during such a fucked up time. It's insane to me that people are consistently so shitty and such assholes to people who are just trying to do a job and help them out, especially during a pandemic.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Fuck her. Calling people 'f' in 2020? What's wrong with you?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. Entitled ass people entering other people's vehicle and now following their rules is infuriating. Not gonna lie, wish you had a recording. Completely inappropriate throwing around slurs AND expecting you to be the only one to face consequences considering she kept doubling down like she was in the right for her behavior. Glad you remained level headed about it. I would have done the same, fuck putting up with that shit in my own car

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
Wow ATL is crazy. Also the F word is dusty and lame as an insult. It sounds like you handled it like a damn professional, props to you.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Glad that got sorted without further escalation. People are crazy.

OP
OP
TheAbsolution

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Jesus. Entitled ass people entering other people's vehicle and now following their rules is infuriating. Not gonna lie, wish you had a recording. Completely inappropriate throwing around slurs AND expecting you to be the only one to face consequences considering she kept doubling down like she was in the right for her behavior. Glad you remained level headed about it. I would have done the same, fuck putting up with that shit in my own car
I wish I had the presence of mind to start recording too but it was 4 am and I was tired as hell and I didn't think about it. :/

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry you had to go through that garbage - I think you handled it as best you could.

Nov 18, 2020
Damn, my condolences OP. I wish she could get banned from Uber but she'll probably live for another day.

Definitely get an interior camera and record constantly, though. You never know when the Rider will lie and attempt to get you fired. If it's your word vs. theirs, many times the company will side with the customer so you need proof to ensure your job is secure.

I would personally get dash cams as well so you're protected in accidents, but that's just me.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Atlanta is wildin when it comes to this pandemic shit. Know several people in that area who don't give a fuck, they're still in the club, having house parties etc

After the Gucci Mane/Young Jeezy livestream they all went to a club

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Nicely done honestly. I had to tell someone at the drive thru I was getting food at last night to pull their mask up since it was down at their chin. Like, it's part of their job (I should know, I'm required to have one on for my 8-10 hour shifts) to have one on. It's time to stop fucking around about this shit and call these people out.

But what a fucking stupid slur to call someone in 2020

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had the presence of mind to start recording too but it was 4 am and I was tired as hell and I didn't think about it. :/

Honestly what you did was probably for the better. Who knows how they would've reacted when the camera was on. Glad you got it sorted out tho, and thanks for ubering a bunch of ungrateful ass passengers lol.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I wouldn't have done her the courtesy of driving to the exit. You're the better person then I am.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Someone is going to come back with "not all young people" but young people have been the worst during this pandemic. They don't understand it, they don't care about it and they're a HUGE vector.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
That's proper crazy.
Also you should have a dashcam that records audio at least.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
So sorry you had to go through that. All I can say is that it sounds like you handled it amazingly and the best thing for you is to just let it go knowing you did the right thing. Having resentment or wanting vengeance against the person for their wrongdoing (I don't like to be judgmental but it seems clear here) is no good for you. Congrats man it really sounds like it went the best way possible... I can only see that situation going a million possible ways wrong if I was in your shoes 😂

GCQ

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Was thinking about starting up again after Thanksgiving and stories like this don't help. Dealing with jerks is part of the gig, but I already know enforcing this is gonna be a different kind of headache.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Should have a black list for trash fuck users.

YUP.
What I hate about situations like this is part of what motivated her/let her feel she could get away with it was in her mind he was serving and and 'the employee is always right'. Hence the 'lose your job' part.

She wouldn't have pulled that shit with one of her friends; they would have thrown her ass on the curb or worse.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She was still ranting and raving at me for a solid 20 minutes afterwards while I was sitting on the curb like 25 feet away. I'm not sure it would've haha

Just a thought. Maybe it could be something to look into. I'd imagine you'd have to get permission from the passenger as well, but it can't hurt to throw out there "im recording myself for my own safety", especially after last nights situation lol.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Those are the kind of people that perplex me the most. Like, you have a mask on your fucking head, and aren't willing to pull it up just a few more inches? Not wearing one at all is one thing, but that's just another level of laziness and stupidity..

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, need to have a camera and audio recordings for those types of events. I also would've told her that Uber requires masks to be on at all times while in the vehicle. Otherwise, I'm going to have to let you out at the first safe area.

Unfortunately, I still know far too many young people who use that word plus I've heard from friends and family that a lot of folks are still over there losing their minds when someone asks them to put on or pull up their masks.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Props to you first of all for being so calm and collected. But because of that people take advantage of the good ones knowing full well they won't retaliate.

I'm gonna be honest. If that was me, I would have showed my ugly side. Not the right thing to do, but it's what they deserve.
I'm glad you're not me and I'm glad I don't work with random people. I would have been fired pretty darn quickly and instantly regretted my behaviour. It takes a lot more strength to stay calm and collected. So I respect you for that OP.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Yeah I know people that will ask for a ride then argue with you like you can't just kick them out of your car lol. Strangely enough the person I know is in the same age group. I've had to cash her money so she could catch an uber on many occasions. Like why would you get in a screaming match with a person who's giving you a free ride. She was like "I can't believe it happened again" as I hear cars wooshing by her(she was on the side of the highway) lol. She was also real quick to argue with random people in other cars like there aren't crazy people out there that can just say fuck it and flip out. She for the most part grew out of it though.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the later in the night you go, the more likely your passengers are/were out doing things that ignore social distancing.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 month): victim blaming
How would you have handled it?
I don't want to get dogpiled. I just feel like there's unnecessary escalation that led to the avoidable, dangerous situations of being pulled over on the interstate and interacting with the cops. But like I said, I'm glad it ended safely.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to get dogpiled. I just feel like there's unnecessary escalation that led to the avoidable, dangerous situations of being pulled over on the interstate and interacting with the cops. But like I said, I'm glad it ended safely.

I mean you're asking to get dog piled when you're telling OP how he should have handled a rude ass passenger not taking a pandemic seriously.