• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What is wrong with his name though? Choco = black? Does that make "Black Panther" racist?

Speaking as a white man, I associate a lot of chocolate products with racist depictions. Believe it or not, these products are still using these designs in 2020:

51mlEMsthUL._AC_.jpg

8191XTuestL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Banania4.jpg

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the recent anime series, Promised Neverland's Sister Krone
263.jpg_large

images
images

Most likely no changes, and fans defending the depiction by "source material" / "character is badass anyways" / "everyone is an stereotype"

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Its anime, not that that is an excuse, but they will definitely not change characters, they rarely double back on anything like this. I wish they would, but I can't name the last time I them do that.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why the abdominal hernia pisses me the most, it is so medically specific that i'm sure this dude googled "Black-specific illnesses".

Umbilical hernias are much more common in persons of African ethnicity. [22] With respect to the pediatric population, umbilical hernias occur eight times more frequently in black infants than in white infants. [21]

Bro did his racist research just fine, surprised he didnt give him sickle cell illness too. Lmao

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why the abdominal hernia pisses me the most, it is so medically specific that i'm sure this dude googled "Black-specific illnesses".

Umbilical hernias are much more common in persons of African ethnicity. [22] With respect to the pediatric population, umbilical hernias occur eight times more frequently in black infants than in white infants. [21]

Bro did he racist research just fine, surprised he didnt give him sickle cell illness too. Lmao
Lmao holy shit you're right.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
if they are smart they will change it
I was hype for this announcement but looking back on it, there were a lot of stereotypes present in Shaman King. I was too young to pick up on them but I never really liked Chocolove anyway. There was something about him...

When it comes to manga and how Black characters are depicted, Kishimoto set the standard for me
SNWlhxl.jpg

223265.jpg

omoi.png

boruto-naruto-next-generations-part-2-5.jpg
Kubo had some pretty good designs too, didn't he?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that shit is racist. I vaguely remember shaman king as a kid, maybe from toonami, but if that's what's to be expected then I'm not touching it.
Its anime, not that that is an excuse, but they will definitely not change characters, they rarely double back on anything like this. I wish they would, but I can't name the last time I them do that.
There's examples of it in this thread. I know you're saying it's not an excuse and I'm not coming after or anything, but I say we should expect better from them.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Damn that shit is racist. I vaguely remember shaman king as a kid, maybe from toonami, but if that's what's to be expected then I'm not touching it.

There's examples of it in this thread. I know you're saying it's not an excuse and I'm not coming after or anything, but I say we should expect better from them.
oh I definitely wish they would do better, there are way too many anime tropes and bad things they repeat anime after anime. I just have no idea how to influence change in the companies that mostly cater to a different culture to my own when most (definitely not all, I know we have some in the US and other countries too) are based in Japan.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Japan does not give a fuck unfortunately. They are still using racial stereotypes in manga and anime to this day.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah, I love Shaman King but they gotta change the character. Get rid of the lips (or at least make them much smaller), scrap the backstory (which the anime already did!) and when it comes out in English pick a new name. The 4Kids dub and Viz manga both went with "Joco" and I think that's fine.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018

They could just change his dumbass backstory, make him actually black and fix his face and I wouldn't be too mad. God that backstory is so fucking dumb.

Chocolove needs a complete redesign and name change. Calling him Love is the easiest name change. Design just needs to be something else entirely.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
They could just change his dumbass backstory, make him actually black and fix his face and I wouldn't be too mad. God that backstory is so fucking dumb.

Chocolove needs a complete redesign and name change. Calling him Love is the easiest name change. Design just needs to be something else entirely.
Call him Joco

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Final design for the anime. Looks like they fixed his lips at least...

Well his face doesn't instantly scream blackface anymore, so definitely an improvement.

Looks like his name is still Choco love though, ugh. But I'm sure the English sub/dub will use something else again.

I don't know much about shaman king and if there's any other racist or problematic shit about him tho.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The belly button is still too much for me, like bro, I you need to be a shitload into racial stereotypes if you are willing to learn the epidemiology of fucking abdominal wall defects without being a doctor.

Thats some rich, pure, high-octane, methodical racism.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Well his face doesn't instantly scream blackface anymore, so definitely an improvement.

Looks like his name is still Choco love though, ugh. But I'm sure the English sub/dub will use something else again.

I don't know much about shaman king and if there's any other racist or problematic shit about him tho.
His backstory is really suspect combined with his design, and I love and hate it at the same time. In a vacuum, it's a pretty good redemption story.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

There's apparently other Japanese media calling him "Joco", though, which is weird.

I recall reading the Kodansha release called him that, too.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I never got the "they're Japanese, they don't understand race" responses.
Kinda racist in their own way...
As people have said we've seen previously racist caricatures be changed for the better in modern adaptations, so I'm going to veer on the side of being optimistic and say this will be too

Considering the recent anime series, Promised Neverland's Sister Krone
263.jpg_large

images
images

Most likely no changes, and fans defending the depiction by "source material" / "character is badass anyways" / "everyone is an stereotype"
Yall realize anime is a medium, right? It's not just 1 person creating all of these series and not just 1 company producing all of these anime adaptations. This is like pointing to South Park having something offensive as evidence that some unrelated upcoming cartoon will

edit: Just saw the pics lol. A lot of you look like asses for this "Oh Japanese don't care blah blah" bullshit

Last edited:

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, fixed lips and he's called Joco now! Now they gotta fix the backstory.
(And give us a good figure with effect parts.)

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow, they fixed his lips and changed his name. The issue with his backstory and belly button is still present, but that's a lot more then I was expecting already. They're at least factoring in overseas audiences more then they used to. It reminds me of what happened with Nagoriyuki in Guilty Gear Strive.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Was just scrolling through, and man, those Cyborg and Hunter x Hunter new designs are great!

Canary looks great in the later series. Super interesting to see stuff like this. I hope we get more improvements like this in the future!

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I was hype for this announcement but looking back on it, there were a lot of stereotypes present in Shaman King. I was too young to pick up on them but I never really liked Chocolove anyway. There was something about him...

When it comes to manga and how Black characters are depicted, Kishimoto set the standard for me
SNWlhxl.jpg

223265.jpg

omoi.png

boruto-naruto-next-generations-part-2-5.jpg
Naruto was so good! I got so hyped when we got to see Hidden Cloud ninjas!

IMO, one of the most brilliant things Kishimoto did was have a fist bump serve a function (aligning chakra).

And yeah, B was a rapper (I guess?) but he was also considered weird by the test of the village.

And that one dude who had the Black Panther lightning technique!!! There's no way that was a coincidence.

Naruto will always be one of my faves for the Cloud village characters alone.

How about Rock Lock's baby in My Hero Academia?

hqdefault.jpg
She's making that face because she's tried styling that baby's hair and the curls are too strong 😏

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think there may be some confusion here regarding the name, not sure on whose part.

In this image, which is from the anime, the name is given as Chocolove in Japanese.

In this image, which is from a game, the name is given as Joco in Japanese.

I haven't been following so I don't know if this is just two separate pieces of Shaman King media having different fixes or if there's something more complex going on.

Jun 22, 2019
He does a physical comedy joke with his belly button (it's supposed to be a rock from Australia or something I forget the details) as a big pivotal moment in some fight... I assume that is the sole reason his belly button is staying as is.

His backstory is laughably terrible (how a NY "gang" operates in the mangaka's mind is just woooof) and seriously needs to go. It intertwines with some white characters' backstories though (in a manner that verges on parody from how dumb it is) so I don't know how that would work out really. That part of the story is just a fucking trainwreck overall.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Show started and the intro is up, and Chocolove can be seen throughout it. He looks better but still not a huge fan of how he looks. Well, he looks fine during his action bit, at least.