• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Well, they at least made his lips match the rest of his skin... baby steps, I guess?
But ultimately it will be up to the animation company. Do we know who's animating it yet?

There're no Manga Creators that not go check Their Anime Adaptions.
Takei was has rejected anime remake before because they can't be brought OG VA and Music.

www.crunchyroll.com

"Shaman King" Manga Author Refused An Offer for Anime Remake

Answering to a fan's question, 44-year-old manga artist Hiroyuki Takei revealed on his official Twitter yesterday that he received an offer for an anime remake of his representative work Shaman King,

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely think they won't change anything. It took years for the the new anime to even get greenlitted, because the author wanted the old voice actors back. He won't at all change his character designs.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Honestly, this isn't a great take either. There are anime, even famous ones, even older ones, that have made efforts to fix things. Take Cyborg 008:

tumblr_o10fvawjvc1uiid9khj.jpg

0dkxz.jpg

This is the same guy. Believe it or not, Japan and Japanese people are entirely capable of realizing that they fucked up and making an effort to change.

In 2001 series at least all were caricatures, especially the guy from China.

And that nose of the American guy....

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I absolutely think they won't change anything. It took years for the the new anime to even get greenlitted, because the author wanted the old voice actors back. He won't at all change his character designs.

But he's shown he CAN draw black people in a non-offensive way. If he still keeps the design for "nostalgia" or whatever then honestly fuck him.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
And damn, this made me remember a certain page from JoJo's Part 6. Hopefully it just gets excised when the anime comes around.
oVk9BuF.png

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not to rain on the parade, but I don't think they'll handle it at all. I don't have any faith in Japanese creators to be sensitive to these matters.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't see the problem with this. Anime has a silly name here and there. is there a bad connection between chocolate and black people?

I google Chocolate Thunder. all I get is Darryl Dawkins
The fuck kind of take is this. Surely this is a troll account. Let me guess, you don't see the problem with the Washington Redskins either.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Not to rain on the parade, but I don't think they'll handle it at all.

I don't think there was ever a parade, I barely remember this cartoon from my childhood other than liking that the main guy had a cool ghost battle buddy so I don't remember even seeing this character.

If they're gonna go through the effort of remaking this then IMO they should dignify this character with some changes. Writer apparently, according to someone here, HAS shown that they know how to make non-racist depictions of black people. If that's so then I hope they change this shit.

But like that JoJo page shows, just cause they know better doesn't stop them from doing something cause they think "iTs fUnnY tO dRaW a uGlY BlACk wOMaN wItH a BaNaNa!".

Oct 27, 2017
Any black posters in here? I want to know which is more offensive to you, if you're offended at all - the character's design or name.
Both are really bad, but the design is waaaaay worse to me.
I still don't see the problem with this. Anime has a silly name here and there. is there a bad connection between chocolate and black people?

Is there a racist stereotype with black people and eating chocolates (like with watermelons and chicken)?

Would any name with a dark color in it be as racist for a black character? (Completely made up) names like Night Hunter, Dark Saviour, Tuxedo Supreme, Coffee Man, Caviar Cavalier, etc?
Maybe you two should interact with more black people.

Or (even less work) just listen to the black people in this very thread, who fucking hate this shit?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy their work but I have no respect for a lot of these manga writers tbh, Piss on them.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Concern trolling over multiple posts and inflammatory false equivalence around racism
Maybe you two should interact with more black people.

Or (even less work) just listen to the black people in this very thread, who fucking hate this shit?

It's... kind of why I'm asking in this thread. Not everyone lives in a country with a lot of blacks, so it would be educational for people like those.

Being aggressive just turns people off from actually wanting to learn more about the subject and frankly a bit discriminatory on its own.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Is there a racist stereotype with black people and eating chocolates (like with watermelons and chicken)?

Would any name with a dark color in it be as racist for a black character? (Completely made up) names like Night Hunter, Dark Saviour, Tuxedo Supreme, Coffee Man, Caviar Cavalier, etc?

You got to be kidding, right? You can't be this ignorant of how black skin is likened to chocolate pretty much everywhere. Probably the most common shit black people have to listen to from white people

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Offensive characters from Tezuka and other older mangas were changed in adaptations even before Shaman King existed, is not impossible.

JXTb5qt.jpg

He had bad view back then too

Translation
First Panel
Fat man - Tetsuwan Atom is really popular in America
Smoking man - Are you working on anything new
Tezuka - Jungle King Leo, a story based in Africa

2nd Panel
Smoking Man - Please let us see it, will there be black people appearing in it?
Tezuka - Of course there will be native aborginal

Third panel
Smoking man+Fat man - Because currentl, the biggest problem in America are black people problem

4th panel
White people - Please draw the black people as smart beautiful people, and white people as ugly bad people

Final Panel
Tezuka - Isn't that kind of strange?

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's... kind of why I'm asking in this thread. Not everyone lives in a country with a lot of blacks, so it would be educational for people like those.

Being aggressive just turns people off from actually wanting to learn more about the subject and frankly a bit discriminatory on its own.

Dude you're embarrassing yourself here. Specially considering what's been happening in the world lately regarding racial issues. Educate yourself.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

A kid called me a chocolate bar, as a means of insult, back in the early 1980s, when we were less than ten years old.

Ignorance in 2020 gets no sympathy honestly. You didn't grow up under a rock where the very existence of black people and human decency never existed.

It's time to take the expedited course.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Skinny Japanese person that trained so much and turned...super tan/black?

f8e.png

3tfusy63jes11.png
I mean, he might not be meant to actually be black-black, but the appearance is very much in line with racist caricatures. The design probably wasn't created with malice (I think a lot of Japanese creators just think the round eyes/big lips combo is funny-looking) but the result is the same.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
JXTb5qt.jpg

He had bad view back then too

Translation
First Panel
Fat man - Tetsuwan Atom is really popular in America
Smoking man - Are you working on anything new
Tezuka - Jungle King Leo, a story based in Africa

2nd Panel
Smoking Man - Please let us see it, will there be black people appearing in it?
Tezuka - Of course there will be native aborginal

Third panel
Smoking man+Fat man - Because currentl, the biggest problem in America are black people problem

4th panel
White people - Please draw the black people as smart beautiful people, and white people as ugly bad people

Final Panel
Tezuka - Isn't that kind of strange?

That's pretty bad yeah, but it was like japan in the 50-60s! His views definitely changed for the better over the years thankfully, so did his designs of black people!

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a huge fan of the anime.... Come again?
He's apparently supposed be a joke on a skinny guy that trained too much to become a bodybuilder but took it way too far. This includes the tanning oil or whatever that bodybuilders use and it made him look like that.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The best I could see would be altering his design to remove the lips and adopting "Joco" from the English dub as his name (I could see "Joco Love McDonnell" working). I can't recall if any story details need to change, been a while since I last read it.

It's a toss-up whether or not they do it but I do hope Takei and whichever anime studio takes this recognizes that.

May 9, 2019
Isn't the entire series full of stereotypes? I'm surprised someone even wants to revisit this property in 2020. But considering they're still doing it, I have little faith they're going to change Chocolove.
I was hype for this announcement but looking back on it, there were a lot of stereotypes present in Shaman King. I was too young to pick up on them but I never really liked Chocolove anyway. There was something about him...

When it comes to manga and how Black characters are depicted, Kishimoto set the standard for me
SNWlhxl.jpg

223265.jpg

omoi.png

boruto-naruto-next-generations-part-2-5.jpg

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017

Are most tuxedos made by black child slaves?
www.raconteur.net

Child labour: the dark truth behind chocolate production

Child labour and cocoa production have a long and dark history - so what is being done to address this breach of human rights? And why is it taking so long?

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this isn't a great take either. There are anime, even famous ones, even older ones, that have made efforts to fix things. Take Cyborg 008:

tumblr_o10fvawjvc1uiid9khj.jpg

0dkxz.jpg

This is the same guy. Believe it or not, Japan and Japanese people are entirely capable of realizing that they fucked up and making an effort to change.
Yeah, I never got the "they're Japanese, they don't understand race" responses.

Merc_

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
My guess is that any changes will have to be done by localization like with the original.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I was hype for this announcement but looking back on it, there were a lot of stereotypes present in Shaman King. I was too young to pick up on them but I never really liked Chocolove anyway. There was something about him...

When it comes to manga and how Black characters are depicted, Kishimoto set the standard for me
SNWlhxl.jpg

223265.jpg

omoi.png

Yup. I love the way Kishimoto designs his characters.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
They could make him blue and call him Bluebuddy McDonell? I mean some dude in some boardroom seemed to think that would be the way to make Mr Popo less problematic.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Side note can you blame Chouji for not marrying anyone from his village? He wanted a real one

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017

SNWlhxl.jpg

223265.jpg

omoi.png

Naruto had some great designs. Another real one is Okubo who wrote Soul Eater and Fire Force.
tumblr_phzth950Xh1sj1gls_1280.jpg

66a8a28bb68761fea1b76a22a4dd870d.jpg

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Any black posters in here? I want to know which is more offensive to you, if you're offended at all - the character's design or name.

Both? The design is more in your face.

But I don't know about others' experience, but 3 decades into my life, I am not actively 'offended' so much as I ride a constant lowkey irritation that flares up.