• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it actually is just Reach then? I only played some of Halo 1 and 2 in MP and really enjoyed them a long time ago (plus played a little bit of Halo PC), but playing Reach has felt not great and has had me questioning whether I will even buy the rest of the collection. I see now that Reach is probably just a lot different, from the responses here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Reach MP always sucked. The saving grace was forge and custom games. The saving grace on this latest release is mods.

I look forward to the day when Halo 3 releases on PC and everyone realized that MP sucked as well because bungie decided that the best way to balance the game was to make all of the weapons into peashooters.

CE and H2 are the kings

Last edited:

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The one thing I forgot I hated was if you're shot you scope out of your weapon. That's fine for balance reasons. But seeing as everyone starts with the DMR the minute you pop out and are shot first you're basically dead at range.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I forgot I hated was if you're shot you scope out of your weapon. That's fine for balance reasons. But seeing as everyone starts with the DMR the minute you pop out and are shot first you're basically dead at range.

This really isn't the problem. The key skill in Halo is learning to shoot, with precision, from the hip. Yes you are disadvantaged when that guy shoots you first, but if you can land one shot from the hip, he's in the same boat. Then it's a hipfiring strafe battle.

This same scenario has was true in CE with the magnum, and H2 and H3 with the BR, and H5 with the magnum.

This dynamic is core Halo. I think many people are too used to ADS these days.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
The only saving grace for reach is hardcore(mlg) playlist. No bloom, no sprint dmr starts is fucking glorious. I still probably prefer H3 hardcore but it's close. My biggest issue currently is that even though I'm a pretty well skilled mouse player, my rusty controller skills are infinitely better on reach than mouse controls - reason being as consistent with the DMR on a mouse is waaaaay harder than with controller, no clue how they balance that further, I think maybe the hitbox for the head just needs to be a bit bigger to help mouse players.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
One of the few games i bought for the 360 trying to understand what all the fuss about Halo was.
I couldn't get over 2 hours on it.

It's really not for me. I found it super boring.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, DMR starts suck. I miss the Halo 2/3 days of actually trying to get the power weapons.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
People keep saying it has (one of) the best campaigns in the series, and if that's true then boy am I no longer excited to play the rest because I was majorly underwhelmed by the whole thing
Reach's campaign is quite different from the ones that came before. It has a much more serious tone, for better or worse, and there are very few setpieces/levels that are memorable, in a good way, compared to other games in the series. I'd recommend trying the first game's campaign before giving up on Halo altogether; it and ODST's are my favorites, but ODST is another entry which is different from the others.

I got MCC as a holiday present and am curious to see how Reach's campaign holds up, but I'm going to wait until the sound issues are fixed.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Even the campaign sucks. The acting is pretty bad, the writing is pretty bad. I didn't care about a single character death. Plus it retcons Fall of Reach.

I get they wanted to release it all together with the Xbox version but starting with Reach on PC is lame.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
Reach is easily the worst Bungie Halo game and I never enjoyed the multiplayer. The campaign was enjoyable once but I doubt I would ever replay it fully.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
The multiplayer is flawed because they were caught flat-footed by Call of Duty and the success of other ADS/loadout shooters at the time. Reach has a bunch of weird decisions to try and adapt Halo to that landscape, none of which gel.

Campaign is still fire, though.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the campaign is really overrated. It has great set pieces and atmosphere, but the level design and encounters are worse than most of the entries before (with the exception of H2). The multi was real real rough too, though I played the hell out of it anyways.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
There is a bunch of weird stuff that people accept just because its Halo. The terrible checkpoint system, too many countdowns in multiplayer lobbies, how some maps are just bits of metal floating over a lake..

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Uh, Halo Reach kinda is awesome, the campaign is fantastic and the online is my second most played multiplayer after COD 4 and it's also pretty great or as far as multiplayer goes.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
It has the only Halo campaign that I could finish. Multiplayer was pretty dull though.

May 17, 2018
I remember it being the only Halo I truly enjoyed back when it came out, but, fired up the PC release on day one, and, aside from the audio issues, it didn't age as well as I would have hoped. Everything from the cut scene direction to the dialogue felt so old.

And like, I know it *is* old, but, damn.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Reach's strength was the custom games. MP for it was only just kinda okay but mostly bad

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
>_>

<_<

BR/DMR starts are not good.
AR starts in this game are even worse than DMR starts because of how useless the AR and pistol start combo is and how you can get dominated by a team of players that get range weapons.

Anyway, the multiplayer in this game always sucked. Terrible maps, bloom, armor abilities breaking everything. It's awful.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are a few things that make Reach a bit of a Black Sheep when it comes to the halo games.

The "gritty" color palette means a lot of maps have gray or brown as their dominate color. This also means maps aren't as easy to traverse because it's harder to get your bearings.

The weapon spawn locations seem like they had little thought put into them. Power weapons are sometimes just laying on the ground next to a random rock. Sticky Grenades seem near impossible to find on some maps. Some vehicles spawn so far out of the way that people regularly take 1 vehicle to another side of the map, to get to the better vehicle.

The map layouts really suffered. I remember a ViDoc on reach before it came out about how they were designing the multiplayer maps to work in the campaign and I knew then it was going to be bad. What's funny is almost every time you find a multiplayer map in the campaign, you can tell how disconnected it feels from the rest of the level. So really, we just have the play spaces that don't fit the campaign, and feel extra clumsy for multiplayer traversal. Boneyard was so big they don't even put weapons/spawn on half the map. Same with Spire (except for the stray Banshee). There is only like 1 symmetrical map that isn't a forge world creation. Some of the DLC maps worked towards fixing this, and you can tell.

Honestly, Reach was okay, but it definitely wasn't my favorite Halo to play. I'm glad I can experience it again, but it feels more like an appetizer to the main course (halo 2 and 3)

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Reach MP is definitely a drag. The campaign is pretty damn good though along with Firefight.

I will say though that all of these old Halos are difficult to get back into when you are used to today's standards. People yell about Halo 3 and that it "was" the best in the series MP. I agreed for a long time, but after putting a few hundred hours into Halo 5's MP and then going back to Halo 3's...Halo 5's crushes it in my opinion. Nostalgia is what people hang on to, which is the reason I still play the older ones, but the control and movement speed in Halo 5 far outclasses any of the other ones for me.

343 and MS need to get full fledged Halo 5 onto PC ASAP.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AR starts in this game are even worse than DMR starts because of how useless the AR and pistol start combo is and how you can get dominated by a team of players that get range weapons.

Anyway, the multiplayer in this game always sucked. Terrible maps, bloom, armor abilities breaking everything. It's awful.
Yeah they never found the balance, but man being so capable on spawn was not as fun as the rush to power weapons and vehicles and the resulting map control battles.

Like, no other games have that ebb and flow map control any more, which on one hand is fine but on the other definitely not fine.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine who loves Halo tried to get me into it by showing me Reach. I had dabbled in other Halos before but just never felt compelled to play beyond a couple games.

Holy shit did Reach tank my opinion of the series. Gutter trash game.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they never found the balance, but man being so capable on spawn was not as fun as the rush to power weapons and vehicles and the resulting map control battles.

Like, no other games have that ebb and flow map control any more, which on one hand is fine but on the other definitely not fine.
Halo 5 has arguably some of the best balance of the series.

You're viable off spawn but there's still a good reason to pick up nearly any of the weapons on map.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played through all of Reach yet, but it was ok so far. Fine for a 10 yr old game. I have played through the others though. They are ok, average I'd say. Haven't aged that well.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, yeah, the multiplayer is pretty underwhelming.

The campaign is fun but I do not like the changes they made to how the battle of Reach plays out in the books (removing MC from the fight, making Cortana more important than she really is)

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I was psyched to come back to Halo especially having not played Reach. After playing a little of the campaign I concluded that maybe the old Halo games are best left in the past for me.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It's the worst in the series.

Campaign is better than Halo 5's though if I'm being fair.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
It's the worst Halo game, maybe tied worst with Halo 4. I really don't get the love for it recently.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Its probably my least favorite Bungie halo campaign, but still better then the trainwreck that is Halo 5. MP it is the weakest

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the campaign is really overrated. It has great set pieces and atmosphere, but the level design and encounters are worse than most of the entries before (with the exception of H2). The multi was real real rough too, though I played the hell out of it anyways.
Nah the level design and encounters are probably the best part of its campaign. The improvement in enemy A.I was a big part of the encounter improvements. The only fault I ever found with the campaign was the lack of anything comparable to a scarab fight.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Reach's multiplayer can be hit or miss. But the campaign is one of the best.

And complaining about vehicles in BTB seems like you're missing the point.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The campaign and custom game/Forge offerings are incredible, but you won't hear me argue that the competitive MP is really troubled. Armor Abilities are just bad and the weapon sandbox is a clusterfuck. Bungie's solution to the DMR problem you identified was to make the bullets shoot sideways... sometimes.

AGoodJoe

Feb 19, 2019
In terms of gunplay, Halo Reach is a better version of Halo 3. Trying to use the BR effectively in Halo 3 is an awful experience. Halo 3 had much better maps though.