• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
DeathLoop and Ghostwire were announced for Xbox platform back when they were announced.
Were they? I was wondering if Sony did the same thing as MS with Tomb Raider, i.e. turn a game that was previously announced on a competitor's platform into a timed exclusive, but all the press releases I see around e3 2019 don't mention platforms at all for DeathLoop and Ghostwire.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it for indie games (assuming they haven't announced multiplat support prior), but it is really annoying from these big publishers. That said, I never expected this practice to stop.

Oct 25, 2017
And how many were Microsoft going up to a big publisher and paying them to not put their games on PS5? Pretty sure it's zero.

Yakuza

I agree it feels less bad with smaller developers but larger developers with new IP probably still feel pretty good with some guaranteed money and free marketing. Just because Bethesda is publishing doesn't mean it's going to sell well

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
QUOTE="Splader, post: 36648253, member: 39846"]
I believe Xbox showed 3, Medium, Scorn, and The Ascent. Of which none are confirmed to be timed exclusives (they just say exclusive right now), though I could be wrong in that.

In comparison, 12 titles are timed exclusives from this event.

Project Athia, Godfall, Deathloop, Ghostwire, Kena, Bugsnax, Little Devil Inside, Solar Ash, Oddworld, Jett, Goodbye Volcano High, and Stray.[/QUOTE]Stray is confirmed timed exclusive? I hope so.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that this bullshit made its way to PC (thanks for nothing Epic) should had told you moneyhats ain't going nowhere.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I believe Xbox showed 3, Medium, Scorn, and The Ascent. Of which none are confirmed to be timed exclusives (they just say exclusive right now), though I could be wrong in that.

In comparison, 12 titles are timed exclusives from this event.

Project Athia, Godfall, Deathloop, Ghostwire, Kena, Bugsnax, Little Devil Inside, Solar Ash, Oddworld, Jett, Goodbye Volcano High, and Stray.
Is there a list of all the games that are exclusives and the ones that are timed? A little annoyed this wasn't communicated more clearly in the show but good to know so many of these will be on other platforms as well.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Were they? I was wondering if Sony did the same thing as MS with Tomb Raider, i.e. turn a game that was previously announced on a competitor's platform into a timed exclusive, but all the press releases I see around e3 2019 don't mention platforms at all for DeathLoop and Ghostwire.
Xbox Wire posted about them last E3 when they were announced. They don't do that for games not coming to their platform. Disregarding that...it's games from Bethesda. There's zero reason for them to be exclusive to any platform other than money in hats.

news.xbox.com

E3 2019: Doom Eternal, Fallout’s Battle Royale, and Ghostwire: Tokyo Revealed at Bethesda’s E3 Keynote - Xbox Wire

We knew going in that Bethesda’s E3 keynote would not have big reveals — and no, there was no footage from The Elder Scrolls 6 or Starfield. The company’s presser did feature a handful of notable game updates and expansions, a couple new title reveals, and the much-anticipated reveal of new...

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Yea they suck. At least it's mostly Microsoft and Sony fighting here while PC gets everything day 1. EGS stuff is a nuisance on PC but I'm not too phased about switching launchers on my PC when needed.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Understanding why they do it is a different story than actually condoning it.

I think the practice is abhorrent as it's nothing more than a power flex that limits access to others.

I get why it's done. It's just unfortunate that we live in a society that demands & rewards keep-away tactics.

Art should not be withheld from anyone.

The practice purpose was never to withhold. That is the effect. The attempt is to make a particular hardware look more appealing by bolstering its library. The companies in question don't care about what the competitors base has or do not have. And as usual the people who seem to be most upset about this is either people who are interested in the competition by itself or multiplatform console owners who have a preference. Because in all honesty, whether other people get to experience game or not isn't a rational concern for individuals to have.

Yea they suck. At least it's mostly Microsoft and Sony fighting here while PC gets everything day 1. EGS stuff is a nuisance on PC but I'm not too phased about switching launchers on my PC when needed.

To this day I haven't downloaded or used EGS. I am not going to complain about any deals they made. It just helps me choose how I spend my money. I understand if people are annoyed a game they were looking forward to is exclusive, but we all know why they do it and while you can't control the companies, you can control your money.

Microsoft is publishing CrossFire, and they published PUBG lol. Not great examples

This harkens way back to Mass Effect days. Alot of MS published games were simply timed exclusives with seemingly MS fronting the costs in specific ways. This has happened for multiple generations now. Sony had a similar strategy , except for being the named publisher they payed marketing costs iirc.

Last edited:

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
It's the quickest way to build an ''exclusive'' library of games even if it's a shady as fuck move. At the same time as much as I don't like what Epic have been doing on the PC scene you really can't blame smaller devs for choosing financial safety in this climate. A studio like Bethesda selling out is wild and shows how little faith they must of had in both games.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
bro they're a fucking business lmao

Nahh that's a cop out. Timed exclusivity purchased towards the end of development is an extremely shitty practise so miss me with that hand waving nonsense. It's a shady practise that shouldn't be encouraged no matter which of your favourite companies are doing it. The likes of Metro and Borderlands 3 never needed the financial support business move or not.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
To this day I haven't downloaded or used EGS. I am not going to complain about any deals they made. It just helps me choose how I spend my money. I understand if people are annoyed a game they were looking forward to is exclusive, but we all know why they do it and while you can't control the companies, you can control your money.

I haven't spent any money on EGS, but have a rather decent library of games there! Hehe.

That's likely to change when Playdead and Gen Designs next games release, but those are being properly funded by Epic so I'm happy to support them.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda working with Sony... wonder if it'll lead to something bigger
The GTA5 deal seems small but will probably attract more people than all of the other exclusive deals combined lol.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Is Little Devil Inside timed exclusive for PS5 and PC or is it completely locked to PS5 for a year or however long?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
The practice purpose was never to withhold. That is the effect. The attempt is to make a particular hardware look more appealing by bolstering its library.

But they still bolster their library...through withholding.

Look, I've got no problem with a platform completely funding a production and calling it their own. That's why no one cries about Nintendo releasing Mario or Zelda exclusively to their own hardware.

However, if a 3rd party develops a game with the intent to eventually spread it across all platforms, holding it back to a single one via moneybags is a cheap move that only benefits those invested said platform.

It's easy to hand-wave it when you're talking the most popular hardware on the market and it doesn't affect you. But it sells everyone else short.

As I said, I get why it's done. but it's a still a cheap move that does a disservice to the global audience.

It's the definition of "capitalism sucks". There's no technical wrongdoing, but it's an artificial barrier that is gross to those left out in the cold.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I'm fucking shocked Sony wrangled two timed exclusives out of Bethesda.

I'm sure Bethesda liked the guaranteed money for Deathloop given how Arkane's previous games have performed in terms of sales and Ghostwire looks just esoteric enough that it could use the help of the Sony marketing machine. I have zero doubt that Sony is going to treat both of these like first party titles in terms of marketing.

Ravenash

Apr 16, 2020
I don't mind timed or full exclusive for indies or AA games, but from companies like Square, Bethesda, capcom etc is just bullshit. If i recall correctly, deathloop and ghostwire tokyo were announced for Xbox One and PS4, What the hell just happened?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
as long as there's different platforms everybody gets their respective goodie bags

i don't "like" it but honestly will you die if you have to wait 4 months for deathloop or whatever

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Platform holders paying for exclusivity on games they had no hand in developing unfortunately will probably not go away and it kinda stinks. Sony does it, MS does it... It's just one of those things.

I get why they do it though, especially near launch of a new console. It will surely slow down as the gen goes on which will be good.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind timed or full exclusive for indies or AA games, but from companies like Square, Bethesda, capcom etc is just bullshit. If i recall correctly, deathloop and ghostwire tokyo were announced for Xbox One and PS4, What the hell just happened?

I read this as you not caring about indies or AA games. Please excuse me if I'm wrong.

I'm the inverse where I could give a flying F about AAA, but seeing indies locked behind moneybags makes me rage, lol.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I read this as you not caring about indies or AA games. Please excuse me if I'm wrong.

I'm the inverse where I could give a flying F about AAA, but seeing indies locked behind moneybags makes me rage, lol.
I'm not OP but I share their views. For me, Indie Games can directly benefit from exclusivity arrangements far more than AAA games can, so I let it slide. They can also be a bit more niche, so the games I play my friend may not and vice versa. Like, one of my friends is dodging FFVII Remake spoilers like the plague but probably wouldn't for Outer Wilds for example.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, neat, it saying it was designed exclusively for PS5 made me think it was a full on PS5 exclusive.

I suppose it is more like made for the PS5 as the main platform, then ported over to other consoles when exclusivity ends.

Not unlike the PS3/360 days where games were either made for the PS3 or 360 first, then ported.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not OP but I share their views. For me, Indie Games can directly benefit from exclusivity arrangements far more than AAA games can, so I let it slide. They can also be a bit more niche, so the games I play my friend may not and vice versa. Like, one of my friends is dodging FFVII Remake spoilers like the plague but probably wouldn't for Outer Wilds for example.

It's an interesting question, all told.

Can indie exclusives betray a lack of confidence in their product?

Or is it the elusive draw of money on the table?

I remember the whole Satisfactory fiasco where the game was advertised on Steam but then scooped up by Epic at the last minute. The devs were complete shit-heels after they got all those Fortnite bucks, badmouthing Steam after the fact. Seemed really scummy, truth be told.

Not sure if there's a right answer either way. Walled gardens just rub me the wrong way.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Garbage business tactic, and it becomes specially sucks to see people celebrate this kind of BS. I just saw someone celebrating the fact that GTA Online has a 3 month exclusivity window on the PS5 and I couldn't decide whether to be frustrated or just sad.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Is there a list of all the games that are exclusives and the ones that are timed? A little annoyed this wasn't communicated more clearly in the show but good to know so many of these will be on other platforms as well.
This just highlights how scummy this industry is. It's bad enough we still see timed exclusives (or full) from third party but they top it off by moving the practice to DLC or other content. To make matters even worse is they are not very transparent about it all. That's why there continues to be so much guesswork.

Garbage business tactic, and it becomes specially sucks to see people celebrate this kind of BS. I just saw someone celebrating the fact that GTA Online has a 3 month exclusivity window on the PS5 and I couldn't decide whether to be frustrated or just sad.
Most often they are just console warriors validating their purchase.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
But they still bolster their library...through withholding.

Look, I've got no problem with a platform completely funding a production and calling it their own. That's why no one cries about Nintendo releasing Mario or Zelda exclusively to their own hardware.

However, if a 3rd party develops a game with the intent to eventually spread it across all platforms, holding it back to a single one via moneybags is a cheap move that only benefits those invested said platform.

It's easy to hand-wave it when you're talking the most popular hardware on the market and it doesn't affect you. But it sells everyone else short.

As I said, I get why it's done. but it's a still a cheap move that does a disservice to the global audience.

It's the definition of "capitalism sucks". There's no technical wrongdoing, but it's an artificial barrier that is gross to those left out in the cold.

Not really. Timed exclusives make sense because the aim is to bolster library but it doesn't need to be to specifically harm competition. If it was, there would be nothing stopping them from offering more money to make the exclusivity last so long that it kills any interest on opposing console and seems to be a defacto exclusive. That is why I mentioned Mass Effect before because of how long that series was locked down on 360. Even then the people that hurt the most were probably the pubs/devs. Because people tend to move on because more products are on offer and after MS basically started the timed exclusivity push, Sony followed suit but less aggressive. It seems Sony is more confident in their first party options as well then to make super long timed exclusivity contracts.

But the salient points are "artificial barrier" and "those left out in the cold." Again I pointed that out in previous post because choice is still there to buy into console if you cannot wait, or simply wait. The game doesn't fall apart after the timed exclusives general period (normally seems to be about a year). So it isn't as big of a deal if the only thing people have to do to receive the title is buy in or wait. I mentioned Epic before because they also had deals and I refused to buy in so I had to wait for some titles. Last I check I haven't sustained any injuries during the wait.

I haven't spent any money on EGS, but have a rather decent library of games there! Hehe.

That's likely to change when Playdead and Gen Designs next games release, but those are being properly funded by Epic so I'm happy to support them.

Playdead has truly made some amazing experiences. Smart move by Epic to back them.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Timed exclusives will ALWAYS be a thing for a myriad of reasons:
- Marketing is expensive, often doubling the budget of the game if not more if you are an indie team.
- Game development is expensive as hell
- Some teams cannot afford to develop for multiple platforms at once (certification can be expensive and require extra QA costs that some teams simply cannot budget for at the time)
- Some teams simply do not have the marketing arms that major publishers do when all they have on staff oftentimes is one community manager (when compared to an internal publisher marketing team that can be 20-40 people deep, nevermind the difference in reach and established base).

Games are almost always a financial risk of some sort, so the more development costs you can recoup, the better it is for your business. In general, it is better to spend someone else's money on a project rather than more of your own, if you can.

As game budgets continue to rise, recouping your costs becomes even more important. Especially since transitioning to a new-gen in game development is usually a steeper cost.

Last edited: