• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a first name in Burma although to be fair I don't think Rowling knew that when she picked it.
It just feels at this point some people are just looking for things to hate when it comes to Rowling. Yes, she has tweeted some really shitty things but I don't see a problem with Cho Chang for example other than she's pretty much dumped when she's no longer needed as a love interest.
because jk rowling has historically had fucking awful issues depicting people of asian descent and it should be called out? cho chang is not a real name. they're not even two names that belong in the same cultural group. it's a grab bag of random asian sounds jk rowling put together and decided sounded right. i think asian folks have a right to be upset that the closest thing we ever got to representation was that. i don't really appreciate it being insinuated that these aren't 'real' problems and that jk rowling not ever realizing that this was a problem somehow exonerates her.

this is also putting aside how badly the patils were treated in the series. and that later jk rowling very ingeniously retroactively decided voldemort's fucking pet was a korean woman all along and how horrifically that scans.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I as well am Jewish and read fantasy.
Did you always feel this way or was this an epiphany you had today that led you to make the thread? Tbh I'm not really familiar with Harry Potter lore so I don't know the extent of how different their Goblins are from that of a "typical" goblin depiction.

OP
OP
Gwenpoolshark

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017
My family is Jewish and I've been into fantasy / stories with goblins since I was a little kid. I have never thought of or heard of anyone equating goblins to antisemetic depictions until this thread on era. I'm kinda in shock anyone is even making that connection.

I'm Jewish, and I've noticed it for a long time. I recently re-watched the whole HP series with my son, and I had to cringe when we got to the Gringgott's scene in the 7th movie.

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
Goblins in European folklore seem to be fairly influenced by predominant anti-semitism throughout the centuries. They've been depicted as a greedy, tricksters with bulbous noses, and sneering-secretive personalities for several hundred years, which incidentally, Jews are often depicted the same way in anti-semitic European storytelling, myths. They're also both depicted as preying on children. I don't know the inspiration for the goblin bankers in Harry Potter, but they fit the bill for the traditional European folklore of goblins. Most other depictions of goblins were inspired from the same folklore... Dungeons and Dragons, for instance. So any fantasy that has been inspired by D&D likely shares that likeness to anti-semitic tropes.

I think you and other people have the order wrong, its more likely than goblins as depicted in European folklore had little to no relation to Jews, but were associated to them after centuries of attributing certain characteristics that they share with goblins as a way to demonise them further.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've felt this way for a while and had conversations with other Jewish friends and family on the subject. I am not the only person to point this out.
I'm Jewish, and I've noticed it for a long time. I recently re-watched the whole HP series with my son, and I had to cringe when we got to the Gringgott's scene in the 7th movie.
Looking more into the Harry Potter side of goblins, this definitely looks more like a Rowling thing than anything else.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, Harry Potter books are dreadful.

Like that irish kid thst bombs things and the only asian student is called Cho Chang lol

Halfway into book six for my reread, and not once has Seamus Finnigan blown anything up. Since reading about this I paid extra attention to it. It doesn't happen.

There's plenty of stuff to criticize Rowling for without making shit up. Like not making Dumbledore just full out gay, the problematic anti-semetic depiction of goblins and her gross stance on transgender people. And apparently Asian people have problems with Cho's name. Which also makes sense.

But don't make stuff up.

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with saying JK Rowling based her depiction of goblins on common earlier folklore/ D&D portrayals of goblins is that

A. Folklore goblins were basically any small annoying supernatural creature (Similar to imps, gnomes, fairies, dwarves, brownies etc) so there is no common depiction of them. I'm sure some versions exist that were used to disparage Jewish people simply because of how pervasive antisemitism has been throughout European history of course.

B. D&D goblins at the time Harry Potter was being written looked like this
latest
3221947_orig.png

The big nosed greedy banker goblins are as far as I know a Harry Potter (and later Warcraft) thing

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Halfway into book six for my reread, and not once has Seamus Finnigan blown anything up. Since reading about this I paid extra attention to it. It doesn't happen.

There's plenty of stuff to criticize Rowling for without making shit up. Like not making Dumbledore just full out gay, the problematic anti-semetic depiction of goblins and her gross stance on transgender people. And apparently Asian people have problems with Cho's name. Which also makes sense.

But don't make stuff up.
I believe it may be a movie thing? I can't remember. He definitely blows things up inasmuch as a shitty 11-17 year old kid can without going full rogue bomber.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just think it's unlikely that a franchise with that kind of huge, iconic, Jewish impact would intentionally create something anti-semetic. Especially since Nimoy and Shatner were still actively involved in it not long before DS9 came out (plus, obviously, Armin was Jewish himself).

Intention also absolutely matters. I don't see how an alien species with huge ears and flat noses counts as a racist cariacature when they look nothing like the stereotype and 'loves money' defines tons of other 'normal' looking villains who aren't called out on this. The writers saying 'we will base Ferengi on how the Jews love money' is much different then 'we will create an alien race that loves money.'
The bar here isn't set at "were the DS9 writers insanely over-the-top racists who deliberately wrote a depiction of greedy Jews." I don't think every fan or staffer of the Cleveland Indians is a slavering racist, but that has zero bearing on whether their team imagery is a racist caricature. It is. Racist imagery is usually perpetuated by society mindlessly passing ideas on without thinking critically about them.

5yuTI5L.jpg

zBngJi6.jpg

cb0sU1r.jpg

YRYtVSt.jpg

dbq9a1l.jpg

pr954T9.jpg

You don't see any resemblance, huh?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Goblins in European folklore seem to be fairly influenced by predominant anti-semitism throughout the centuries. They've been depicted as a greedy, tricksters with bulbous noses, and sneering-secretive personalities for several hundred years, which incidentally, Jews are often depicted the same way in anti-semitic European storytelling, myths. They're also both depicted as preying on children. I don't know the inspiration for the goblin bankers in Harry Potter, but they fit the bill for the traditional European folklore of goblins. Most other depictions of goblins were inspired from the same folklore... Dungeons and Dragons, for instance. So any fantasy that has been inspired by D&D likely shares that likeness to anti-semitic tropes.

But D&D Goblins are mostly small tribal looters, following the leadership of the physically strongest Goblin around. They have no association with the characteristics this thread is talking about (well, aside from big noses, but you can't really say it's related to Jewish caricatures when they aren't connected in any other way). And even the nose has been changed into a more animal-like snout for a long time now.

1st edition
latest

2nd edition (1989)
latest

3rd edition (2000)
latest

Last edited:

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Ima stop you right there because someone is gona read this and just parrot it to other people. What you mean is current fantasy tropes are racial in nature and i think theres a case for that idea. But Folklore is not your dungeon and dragons character, folklore is the traditions, tales and so on of a group of people, or are we gona sit here and say the idea of small spirits living under hills (European Folklore) or its similar equivalent in thinking the Mountaints are gods (Inca Folklore) are also based on racial stereotypes?
Also the modern view of goblins is not correspondent to its initial presentations as goblins and most old monsters dont really have clear origins because like a million variants can be seen in different cultures with conflicting characteristics.

I'm not even going to bother wasting my time writing an in-depth reply to how utterly stupid this rabble of nonsense is.

Yes, people made up (read European in this situation) folklore creatures based on stereotypes. Modern fiction still uses that. It's problematic.

I really do have to reiterate again how fucking stupid this reply was. It's abundantly clear you haven't stopped to think about the issue being discussed for more than two seconds, despite myself and many others in this thread spelling it out for you in the simplest possible terms.

But you know what, if you want to keep thinking stereotypes in media is okay and not engage your brain for more than two seconds of critical thinking, be my guest, you absolute weapon.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it may be a movie thing? I can't remember. He definitely blows things up inasmuch as a shitty 11-17 year old kid can without going full rogue bomber.
He had a few accidents that blew up in his face (not intentionally so) but at the battle of Hogwarts McGonagall in the movie says he has a penchant for pyrotechnics and asks him to blow one of the bridges.

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There was a very good post going around recently about this and more.

hey do you think you could expand a bit on separating the art from the artist? clearly you've done it with jk rowling but what are your thoughts on it as a general idea?
-Anonymous

banrions:
accio-shitpost:
okay, but you're not going to like the answer.
here's the truth: you can't separate the art from the artist. not entirely. HP Lovecraft was an incredibly talented, but much more incredibly racist man. It would nice to say you don't agree with his views but you can enjoy his works without that leaking in but…. well, I'm afraid that would be misunderstanding his books entirely.
Consider, for a second, that Lovecraft's works were horror stories about extradimensional alien monsters having mutant children with humans, they were about invasions from distant monsters, they were about the purity of quaint European towns being tainted. Consider how this may have all been inflicted by the fact that he just simply despised anybody who wasn't white. Consider how is opinions on "mixing the races" might fight into this; consider why being unable to maintain the "purity" of white Europe was the scariest thing of all to him.
This extends to Rowling too.
I would love to say we can just acknowledge that she is an awful, racist, antisemitic, transphobic person and then say "but at least her books are good," because, well, they are, aren't they? I would say so, for sure. But to suggest that one can separate her from them is…. ridiculous.
Consider why an antisemitic woman wrote about a species of goblins who live among us, but who for the most part keep to themselvesand are maybe a little bit oppressed by the institution, but also hold all the cards, all the money, run the banks.
Consider why a racist woman would write about a species of slaves who loved being enslaved, who enjoyed working for no pay, and cleaning up after humans, with the only small caveat of that they didn't want to be beaten. Imagine that only the most radical of their species wanted to be free, and he still spent the rest of his life working for no pay and helping out a little white boy and his friends wherever he could. Consider why the only person in the story who thought they should be free, that they should have rights, was treated as an overzealous joke, who was acting against the wishes of those slaves who really LOVE being enslaved. Consider that Rowling went on to say that she kind of considers that girl to be black, now.
Consider why JK Rowling, an open and proud transphobe, wrote Rita Skeeter as having a large square jaw, thick "manly" hands, and dressing incredibly gaudily with the most obvious fake nails and fake teeth and fake hair and fake everything. Consider why a woman who tweets about how trans women are "foxes pretending to be hens to get in the hen house" might write this Rita Skeeter to then illegally transform her body in order to spy on children.
Harry Potter is full of Rowling's bigotry, start to finish. Not even tangentially, like, "oh the goblins are bad, Rita Skeeter is bad, the house elves are bad, but most of it's good!" because the deeper you dig and the longer you think the more you realise the entire story is based on her prejudices.
Harry Potter pretends to be an aracial story about found family, but if that were true, why are Harry's distant ancestors important to who he is today even in the seventh book? Why does Harry have to live with his cousin and aunt and uncle? Because magic inherently prefers blood ties. Whilst Rowling was writing a story that seemed to say, "your heritage is not that important and doesn't make you better than others" she was still writing a story about a boy who got all of his money through his bloodline, who was protected by living with his bloodline, no matter how evil, who was uniquely able to stop Voldemort because his bloodline passed down the invisibility cloak for generations and generations. Any step Harry takes he is compared to his perfect parents who were exactly like him — he looks just like his father, but he has his mother's eyes, you know! — consider WHY a woman who is racist might've written a story like this. A story that on its surface, condemns a blood caste, but still in every step it takes, validates the idea that blood is thicker than water, and your geneological origin is what makes you special.
You can enjoy Harry Pottwr, of course you can. There are fantastic parts. I love a small group of teenagers deciding to become anarchies rebels and train to fight against fascism in secret. I love the murder mystery plots, I love how the series tells kids that it's a good thing to be brave, and a good thing to fight injustice, and a good thing to challenge the government. But I cannot separate it from its author because it is such a product of its author. All of the structures of the world, the way things work in the universe, and drenched in Rowling's beliefs, her bigotries. Of course they are: she made them.
Again. This doesn't mean you cannot enjoy it. But I think we are past the day where we can pretend that disavowing a bigoted author is enough, and that that somehow separates the text from its bigotry. I think we are past the day where we can pretend that Harry Potter isn't a deeply, inherently bigoted piece of media. Even the bits we love. I think we are beyond the day where we can truthfully pretend to separate it from her, because she is present through all of it. We MUST recognise its flaws. We MUST admit that she is in every part of it.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Legit wondering based on some of these replies whether a modern fantasy or sci-fi production design could get away with an "evil race" of slightly distorted Sambo imagery depicted as lazy and stupid villains as long as you call them "orcs." Whoa, there's no real world race being depicted here, y'all just making some crazy correlations that aren't there!

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even going to bother wasting my time writing an in-depth reply to how utterly stupid this rabble of nonsense is.

Yes, people made up (read European in this situation) folklore creatures based on stereotypes. Modern fiction still uses that. It's problematic.

I really do have to reiterate again how fucking stupid this reply was. It's abundantly clear you haven't stopped to think about the issue being discussed for more than two seconds, despite myself and many others in this thread spelling it out for you in the simplest possible terms.

But you now what, you do to I want to keep think stereotypes in media is okay and not an age your brain for more than two seconds of be my guest, you absolute weapon.

What is heavens sake are you talking about? Im not denying the depiction of goblins in Harry potter can be an allegory to Jews or that they arent problematic and should be examined like the rest of the thread is saying, im just taking issue with your confusion of Folklore with Pop culture racist stereotypes.

Like, maybe YOU should think for a second? Are jews actually associated with hammers, being dumb, aggresive, pillaging and atacking town in packs like modern fantasy tropes? Are Jews associated with magic, making pranks to farmers and changing the places of objects as depicted in old folklore?

Jews in the late antiquity and middle ages didnt need to be demonised by allegories, they were converted, killed and expelled from Europe plenty of times before the german state was even a geopolitical idea. The conection between jews and goblins is entirely modern, based on purely physical stereotypes associated with modern Tolkien and DnD Goblins.

Maybe actually read what im typing before jumping to the jugular and insult me with no reason at all

Last edited:

Idde

Oct 27, 2017

Perhaps. I've only seen the movies once, because they needlessly changed so much shit.

He had a few accidents that blew up in his face (not intentionally so) but at the battle of Hogwarts McGonagall in the movie says he has a penchant for pyrotechnics and asks him to blow one of the bridges.

Like this. The fuck? Why would you do this?

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
What is heavens sake are you talking about? Im not denying the depiction of goblins in Harry potter can be an allegory to Jews or that they arent problematic and should be examined like the rest of the thread is saying, im just taking issue with your confusion of Folklore with Pop culture racist stereotypes.

Like, maybe YOU should think for a second? Are jews actually associated with hammers, being dumb, aggresive, pillaging and atacking town in packs like modern fantasy tropes? Are Jews associated with magic, making pranks to farmers and changing the places of objects as depicted in old folklore?

Jews in the late antiquity and middle ages didnt need to be demonised by allegories, they were converted, killed and expelled from Europe plenty of times before the german state was even a geopolitical idea. The conection between jews and goblins is entirely modern, based on purely physical stereotypes associated with modern DnD Goblins.

Maybe actually read what im typing before jumping to the jugular and insult me with no reason at all

There isn't any confusion. And no, the modern connection of goblins or other folklore creatures connected to Jews is not a recent thing that started with DnD. You are incorrect. The modern image? Yes, you could argue that.

Of course with Harry Potter we are talking about a more modern depiction but that point is irrelevant. The thread is about if goblins in HP are a Jewish stereotype to which the answer is yes.

You for reasons best known to yourself decided to chime in and go "oh wait not ALL folklore is associated with Jews" (and were wrong about your example anyway) instead of just going "yeah the goblins in HP are problematic".

So in summary; I read your posts. They are still shit.

Yeah, kinda.
Not as bad as the shit Lucas pulled with Watto, what the fuck was he thinking there. How did this even fly in the board meeting room.

669.jpg

Jeez I forgot about that character. How did that fly.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, kinda.
Not as bad as the shit Lucas pulled with Watto, what the fuck was he thinking there. How did this even fly in the board meeting room.

669.jpg

OP
OP
Gwenpoolshark

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
There isn't any confusion. And no, the modern connection of goblins or other folklore creatures connected to Jews is not a recent thing that started with DnD. You are incorrect. The modern image? Yes, you could argue that.

Of course with Harry Potter we are talking about a more modern depiction but that point is irrelevant. The thread is about if goblins in HP are a Jewish stereotype to which the answer is yes.

You for reasons best known to yourself decided to chime in and go "oh wait not ALL folklore is associated with Jews" (and were wrong about your example anyway) instead of just going "yeah the goblins in HP are problematic".

I mean, critics did attack it at the time. Most of us probably just don't remember.

Yoda puts in a cameo, but the film's designated alien is Jar Jar Binks, a rabbit-eared ambulatory lizard whose pidgin English degenerates from pseudo-Caribbean patois to Teletubby gurgle. (Although Jar Jar can be construed as grotesquely Third World and the fish faces talk like Fu Manchu, the most blatant ethnic stereotype is the hook-nosed merchant insect who owns young Anakin.)

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
There was a very good post going around recently about this and more.

hey do you think you could expand a bit on separating the art from the artist? clearly you've done it with jk rowling but what are your thoughts on it as a general idea?
-Anonymous

banrions:

This is pretty good. Never thought of it in that context.

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Excusing Antisemitism

The reason i take issue with your statements is that one needs to understand the root of problems to properly eliminate them, i think its important and usefull to pinpoint problems to create the most effective solution, and thinking that old european folklore from the 10th Century was created to demonise Jews serves no purpose, contrary to saying that new reimagined folklore from the 19th century is the likely culprit

I corrected the DnD thing, i meant DnD and Tolkien depictions, its true that its not just DnD, buts definetely from the 19th century up

Im not actually denying that modern folklore can be racist, but im in fact saying that almost the entire folklore of old Europe (or the world at large for that matter) is definetely NOT racist (not that people werent racist, they were racist), simply by virtue that most folklore is local and communities in around the world were mostly agrarian farmers who had basically no contact with anyone outside their village so their folklore normally depicted more local problems.

I think this discussion is way beyond you, you are applying modern societal logic to old societies that operated completely different to our modern ones, maybe start reading like one single wikipedia article before spouting all this nonesense.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I'm curious if you shared your thoughts with your son? Its always a challenge when you do decide or not decide let your children know about the origins of some of these things.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I think you and other people have the order wrong, its more likely than goblins as depicted in European folklore had little to no relation to Jews, but were associated to them after centuries of attributing certain characteristics that they share with goblins as a way to demonise them further.
Yeah this is what I was wondering, which came first in a sense. Goblin folklore, or stereotyping Jewish people with these goblin-like features.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Daniel Radcliffe is Jewish and he's her Harry Potter, so I don't think she has an issue with it.

That's not really a good defence nor does it make it seem like that Rowling isn't racist.

But a british person with chinese ancestry might have it. I really don't get why people are so hung up on Cho Chang.

Because she's the only East Asian character in the book and one of the few People of Colour in the book and she is horribly written.

I knew it was a first name somewhere, so I asked google. Guilty as charged. :)

I don't even like Rowling and Cho Chang isn't the hill I'm going to die on, feels weird that I somehow ended up defending the choice of a name. I just think people should criticize her for things she did that are actually bad and obviously intentional, like in one of her Robert Galbraith books the "hero" telling a transwoman she'll go to men's prison and they'll rape her (if I remember that right).

This is why I hate talking to white folks about problematic stuff in regards to race or cultural. You are not an expert or have been historically marginalised and yet still feel the need to mansplain to other how they are wrong and "overreacting".

You clearly don't know nor understand why the East Asian folks would have a problem with Cho Chan's name. It highlights the problematic of white writers taking another people culture and further marginalising them with their careless ignorant.

Because George Lucas is racist, sexist and a mediocre writer.

How Star Wars is beloved is beyond me as it's riddled with problematic writing that still exist to this day.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
The reason i take issue with your statements is that one needs to understand the root of problems to properly eliminate them, i think its important and usefull to pinpoint problems to create the most effective solution, and thinking that old european folklore from the 10th Century was created to demonise Jews serves no purpose, contrary to saying that new reimagined folklore from the 19th century is the likely culprit

I corrected the DnD thing, i meant DnD and Tolkien depictions, its true that its not just DnD, buts definetely from the 19th century up

Im not actually denying that modern folklore can be racist, but im in fact saying that almost the entire folklore of old Europe (or the world at large for that matter) is definetely NOT racist (not that people werent racist, they were racist), simply by virtue that most folklore is local and communities in around the world were mostly agrarian farmers who had basically no contact with anyone outside their village so their folklore normally depicted more local problems.

I think this discussion is way beyond you, you are applying modern societal logic to old societies that operated completely different to our modern ones, maybe start reading like one single wikipedia article before spouting all this nonesense.

Nope, but this shower of utter shite is enough to put you on ignore because you are either being purposefully dense or you are actually just stupid as fuck. I'm going to go with latter considering your posts.

"modern societal logic" when talking about stereotypes. 😂😂😂😂😂. Yes, because people throughout the entirety of history haven't made up stories and imagery based on real things. That is only a modern thing.

Also reported for continuing to ignore the point at hand and distract from the actual issue of stereotypes in media. Which you have done repeatedly. Really is strange that in cases like this these types of posts always pop up. 🧐

"why yes some goblins are Jewish stereotypes maybe but let's ignore that and start an argument about the fact that every single depiction of folklore throughout the world and history isn't actually a stereotype because reasons"

Fuck up

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno why people are mentioning DND, these goblin are nothing like them.

In DND they are little shits that set fire to things, more like a nuisance that might eat your baby or rob your horse if your not careful. They dont run banks or have big noses..

Oh let not forget the one Irish youngfella that like to blow things up. Nothing wrong with that. Just havin' a laff mate, havin' a lafff...

Last edited:

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, but this shower of utter shite is enough to put you on ignore because you are either being purposefully dense or you are actually just stupid as fuck. I'm going to go with latter considering your posts.

"modern societal logic" when talking about stereotypes. 😂😂😂😂😂

Also reported for continuing to ignore the point at hand and distract from the actual issue of stereotypes in media. Which you have done repeatedly. Really is strange that in cases like this these types of posts always pop up. 🧐
I have repeatly agreed with the premise of the thread, the only reason i didnt comment on it initially was precisely because i agree with it, the initial thread is talking explicity about Harry potters goblins, not old folklore at large, which is what YOU borught into the discussion, pivoting it away from the problematic nature of goblins as depicted by the movies and posibly the books of Harry potter and old Nazi propaganda, what the hell is your problem?

This is what you responded initially

Why do you think goblins have that trait? Why do you think goblins were chosen to be the bankers? Why do goblins have that physical description and traits in nearly all fiction? A coincidence?

to this idea

They're portrayed as greedy and hoarding money in the books because they work at a fucking bank and their lives revolve around it. What does that have to do with antisemitism?

Are you actually doubling down that on OLD EUROPEAN FOLKLORE ideas of GOBLINS is the basis of them being portrayed as greedy bankers that hoard money in harry potter that resemble nazi propaganda in relation to jews? Truly?

Last edited:

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Because George Lucas is racist, sexist and a mediocre writer.

How Star Wars is beloved is beyond me as it's riddled with problematic writing that still exist to this day.

Not a massive watcher of Star Wars but that character someone posted earlier and the thing about Jar Jar Binks was pretty eye opening and damning.

I think it's important to acknowledge problematic stuff in media, even if it's something we really like. I'm a LotR fan for example, but you have to be able to take a step back and say okay, this is wrong or this aspect is problematic etc. If we can't examine things in this way critically how is it ever going to improve?

It's really annoying because whenever you try to have a discussion about it there are always people who get really defensive or whatever.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The bar here isn't set at "were the DS9 writers insanely over-the-top racists who deliberately wrote a depiction of greedy Jews." I don't think every fan or staffer of the Cleveland Indians is a slavering racist, but that has zero bearing on whether their team imagery is a racist caricature. It is. Racist imagery is usually perpetuated by society mindlessly passing ideas on without thinking critically about them.

5yuTI5L.jpg

zBngJi6.jpg

cb0sU1r.jpg

YRYtVSt.jpg

dbq9a1l.jpg

pr954T9.jpg

You don't see any resemblance, huh?

I only see it with them next to eachother like this. I never noticed the nose before (though why are we stereotyped with two totally different noses?).

The difference between the Ferengi and the Cleveland Indians is the Cleveland Indian was an intentionally racist depiction of a real group of people. At the time they thought it was ok to show them in that way, now it obviously isn't. It was direct lift there's no defense for and there's plenty of images of the fans to this day being disrespectful of it, in addition to the club refusing to change it, so while I'd agree that they're probably not all racist they're also actively perpetuating something that's way more obvious and insidious than the Ferengi.
For the Ferengi to match the images above it either has to be intentional (in which case they specifically based it on terrible stereotypes and are bad people), unintentional but inspired (in which those stereotypes were so ingrained they were brought back subconsciously), or accidental and we're reading into it. I do not, with my knowledge of Star Trek's production, think it's the first option. Whether it's the second or third I don't know.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not
Are being purposefully dense or are you actually just dim?

Most folklore is based of racial, anti-Semitic or other discriminatory stereotypes.

Why do you think goblins have that trait? Why do you think goblins were chosen to be the bankers? Why do goblins have that physical description and traits in nearly all fiction? A coincidence?

Honestly, takes two seconds of critical thinking please. It isn't hard.

Here you go. I suggest you understand the history of German Jewish banking in both Germany and the United States and how it tied in with the rise of Hitler and Anti-semitism being weaponized against jews who controlled the money.

I am willing to give JKR a pass as she probably thought it was a fun idea that if fantastic creatures lived in modern times that the fantasy creature that was greedy with money would be in banking. That said, the fucking movies absolutely looks like a fucking trope of Shylock.
Umm this post can't be real.
I have repeatly agreed with the premise of the thread, the only reason i didnt comment on it initially was precisely because i agree with it, the initial thread is talking explicity about Harry potters goblins, not old folklore at large, which is what YOU borught into the discussion, pivoting it away from the problematic nature of goblins as depicted by the movies and posibly the books of Harry potter and old Nazi propaganda, what the hell is your problem?

This is what you responded initially

to this idea

Are you actually doubling down that on OLD EUROPEAN FOLKLORE ideas of GOBLINS is the basis of them being portrayed as greedy bankers that hoard money in harry potter that resemble nazi propaganda in relation to jews? Truly?

I apologize, this was a poorly thought out post.

The history of goblins in storytelling and their association with antisemitism honestly had never occured to me. Now that I've read up a bit on it I can understand how Rowling's depiction in her stories and in the films would be deemed insensitive.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Not a massive watcher of Star Wars but that character someone posted earlier and the thing about Jar Jar Binks was pretty eye opening and damning.

I think it's important to acknowledge problematic stuff in media, even if it's something we really like. I'm a LotR fan for example, but you have to be able to take a step back and say okay, this is wrong or this aspect is problematic etc. If we can't examine things in this way critically how is it ever going to improve?

It's really annoying because whenever you try to have a discussion about it there are always people who get really defensive or whatever.

It's worth acknowledging and discussing problematic stuff in 'old' media but I feel it often devolves into 'Walt Disney was racist' which just gets parroted around by lazy people on the internet and overtakes other conversations to be had about works or more active forms of racism.

The Jar Jar/Watto thing baffles me. Like, I totally see the issues with them and am not going to defend them or anything, but I also find it hard to believe George 'guy who fought to make Red Tails and is best friends with the guy who directed Schindler's List' specifically went out to craft characters based on those stereotypes. It's totally possible those stereotypes were so ingrained they popped in when he was looking for characters in those rolls though.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, kinda.

669.jpg

And I'll still say Jar Jar Binks is even worse because he's a main character and is basically a walking minstrel show. Just take a minute to remember how he talks. The only way George could have made it worse is if he was eating space fried chicken and watermelon and calling the Jedi Massa... which he comes close to doing anyway.

It's worth acknowledging and discussing problematic stuff in 'old' media but I feel it often devolves into 'Walt Disney was racist' which just gets parroted around by lazy people on the internet and overtakes other conversations to be had about works or more active forms of racism.

The Jar Jar/Watto thing baffles me. Like, I totally see the issues with them and am not going to defend them or anything, but I also find it hard to believe George 'guy who fought to make Red Tails and is best friends with the guy who directed Schindler's List' specifically went out to craft characters based on those stereotypes. It's totally possible those stereotypes were so ingrained they popped in when he was looking for characters in those rolls though.

The mistake you made is thinking people are actively malicious about their racism and bigotry. For Lucas it wasn't even a second thought, that's just how normalized this shit was for him. He wasn't sitting their thinking,"How can I spite Stephen Spielberg!" it was more like he remembered funny shit from his childhood that also happened to be tainted with a good does of bigotry, ignorance and stereotypes and recreated that for his Prequel movie without any thought of whether he should.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
They pull from the same archetype as other goblins which most likely came from some antisemitic stereotypes. As a Jew I'm not offended at all, but yeah there's definitely something to it, though probably unintentionally.

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
Isn't it all a chicken or egg problem?
Antisemits look for ways to portray Jewish people as evil, so they use troops of folklore monsters, since they are proven to be popular and common folk unterstand them.
Facists really taking the fun out of folkore, since they either use the positive symbol on there own and the negative ones on there victims. Destroying them for future generations.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean Daniel Radcliffe is Jewish and he's her Harry Potter, so I don't think she has an issue with it.
Plenty of bigots throughout history have had friends, lovers, or people they work with that happen to be the target of their hatred. Can be bigoted to a faceless group but chummy with an individual. He could be "one of the good ones".

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Ferengi, as a fellow Jew a lot of these things whizzed by my head without being noticed as 'bad' by any means. I wonder if Ferengi get thrown in as possibly problematic because of the make up existing at all, same as goblins, as compared to the dwarves of LotR who were (if I recall) explicitly based on Jews but do not seem to have recieved any backlash. People see what they think is a caricature and assume it has to be associated with a stereotype.

The Ferengi were also predominatly comedic characters played often by comedians, a profession in which there are a lot of well known Jews. Personally I doubt Star Trek has any intenditonal anti-semeticness to it, considering both Shatner and Nimoy were Jewish, Live Long and Prosper is Jewish, and Worf in-universe is Jewish (or at least raised it).

Worf is Jewish? I need a link to that

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The mistake you made is thinking people are actively malicious about their racism and bigotry. For Lucas it wasn't even a second thought, that's just how normalized this shit was for him. He wasn't sitting their thinking,"How can I spite Stephen Spielberg!" it was more like he remembered funny shit from his childhood that also happened to be tainted with a good does of bigotry, ignorance and stereotypes and recreated that for his Prequel movie without any thought of whether he should.

If through cultural osmosis someone replicates a racist caricature divorced from the original form I think that's different than actively creating one and should be treated as such on the creator's side (not the character's necessarily). There's a different malice and reason behind 'I will create a character based on the bankers in the movies I watched as a kid' and 'I will create a character who looks like a Jew because he is a banker.' Subconscious racism is still racism, and still powerful and problematic but I think it does a disservice to present it in the way it often is. People are dumb and often don't notice things (I didn't notice the problem with Watto's design until recently and I'm Jewish myself), there's a difference in 'this character is problematic let's point it out so people notice and do not continue making characters in this vein' and 'this creator is a racist shithead.'

Obviously if the creator turns out to be a racist shithead feel free to dog pile when they make a shitty apology.