• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
origin.jpg

I know I'm not the first to say this, but now that JK Rowling's facade of liberal touchy-feely goodness is finally melting away, we can recognize that this is straight up nuts, right? How did she get away with this?

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Downplaying concerns around antisemitism
Please stop

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's a TERF, so it's not far off that she's antisemitic as well.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't most goblins? See: WoW
Yes, goblin mythology has been around for centuries.

mythology.wikia.org

Goblin

A Goblin is a type of fairy originally from European folklore. The word "goblin" is originally derived from the Greek word "Kobalos," which translates into English as "Rogue" or "Evil Spirit." The word goblin has traditionally been reserved for any ugly fairy that is either mischievous or...

Not saying they aren't used as an anti-Semitic message. Just that goblins have been that largely for a long time.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something that JK did subconsciously rather than on purpose, like if she was influenced by dwarves in mythology, who have also been tied to antisemitic tropes.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Goblins from myth like gold, so the greater question is whether goblins of old myth are themselves anti-semetic such as the discussion with orcs being racist.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, definitely drawing on these stereotypes. It was already kinda iffy in the books, but the movies made it much worse.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does a fantastical creature that's obsessed with money have to connect to a stereotype?

Genuinely asking. Is there something else that makes them linked with Jewish stereotypes?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Does a fantastical creature that's obsessed with money have to connect to a stereotype?

Genuinely asking. Is there something else that makes them linked with Jewish stereotypes?
Imagery.

bBqo9QD.jpg

Massive noses. Work as bankers, holders of the majority of the wealth. I'd argue the depiction of goblins is what's usually anti-semitic, not the myth. The whole... fat nose, etc, isn't an intrinsic part of the myth. It's the sum of the whole of how they're presented, not necessarily individual characteristics.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, are they specifically linked to Jewish religion or culture in any way in the books? I can't remember

If you're asking if all goblins of fantasy / myth stereotype are anti-semitic, i'll need a history lesson.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Goblins tend to be portrayed with anti-Semitic stereotype coding regardless of the setting. WoW definitely does it, some D&D settings do it, etc. Not surprising at all that JK would use the same kind of cultural coding that other fantasy settings do.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I'm Jewish, she's not antisemitic. She's using the lazy D&D/Tolkien type that originated with European folklore. Greedy evil bankers are not inherently antisemitic, but those images can be used to support AS tropes.

I mean Daniel Radcliffe is Jewish and he's her Harry Potter, so I don't think she has an issue with it.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018

I've not seen the Harry Potter movies but the image in OP is more akin to Nazi propaganda of jews than any goblin I've seen in other media.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagery.

bBqo9QD.jpg

Massive noses. Work as bankers, holders of the majority of the wealth. I'd argue the depiction of goblins is what's usually anti-semitic, not the myth. The whole... fat nose, etc, isn't an intrinsic part of the myth. It's the sum of the whole of how they're presented, not necessarily individual characteristics.

Damn. Didn't realize that was a thing and wasn't into Harry Potter that much to pay attention. Yah - that's not a great look at all.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
A lot of these common trope fantastical races owe their origin to Tolkein and from what I've read his character designs were definitely influenced by racial stereotypes.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It is a bit suspect, yeah, but I don't think it was deliberate. She just didn't think very hard about it. Dunno how the movies went ahead without changing anything, though. Who can look at that pic in the OP and be like "yep, checks out." FWIW I'd also say the same of most movies/games depictions of orcs as black stereotypes, too.

One of the most frustrating things about the books to me is that even though they "grew up" in a lot of respects, the other species like the house elves and goblins were extremely one-note to the end. They even toyed with the idea of making one of the goblins not greedy but nah, he betrays the gang for money anyway.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, are they specifically linked to Jewish religion or culture in any way in the books? I can't remember

If you're asking if all goblins of fantasy / myth stereotype are anti-semitic, i'll need a history lesson.
Being honest, this is the first time I see people mention that goblins are an anti-semitic stereotype.
Yes. Have you never heard the phrase "Greedy Jew"?
Not here. But I live in a shitty third-world country and hardly interact with people, anyways. In fact, I didn't know the KKK existed until I was in my 20s.

Dec 31, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissing Concerns of Antisemitism and Inflammatory Accusations
Just racists projecting what they want. Sometimes a things just a thing, you don't have to pile your shit on it.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's worth noting that the Tolkien interpretation of goblins is not wholly rooted in anti-semitic tropes. Racist depictions are largely (imo) the sum of the entire thing and not just an individual characteristic. Artist interpretation often plays a very large part in the racist trope. The movie representation of Harry Potter goblins is wildly anti-semitic and that's largely due to the design of the artists.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Absolutely, Harry Potter books are dreadful.

Like that irish kid thst bombs things and the only asian student is called Cho Chang lol

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
If you're gonna rake her over the coals for this then at the very least another thread should be made for Watto in the Phantom Menace. That's even more egregious.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they are racist, probably accidental because they are lazy fucks, these tiny long nosed fantasy creatures end up being antagonistic, stubborn and greedy for some reason.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's worth noting that the Tolkien interpretation of goblins is not wholly rooted in anti-semitic tropes. Racist depictions are largely (imo) the sum of the entire thing and not just an individual characteristic. Artist interpretation often plays a very large part in the racist trope. The movie representation of Harry Potter goblins is wildly anti-semitic and that's largely due to the design of the artists.
Yeah. Hard to put this completely at the feet of Rowling, but those movie goblins have always been *yikes*.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the description the Harry Potter Lexicon gives for them, it seems like the nose was only on Griphook and the movies took his design for most goblins. In which case, it is unfortunately caused by the movies. I really need to re-read te books though.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
there was a really good tweet about how harry potter had a huge amount of the bigotry that it's author had been known for these days, but I can't seem to find it now, I think the account holder went private due to harassment from her fans.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I bet it's more that JK Rowling's goblins and modern anti-Semitic imagery drew from the same, far older, folkloric inspirations (purposefully or otherwise) since the depiction of goblins as greedy goes way back. It's not a good look though.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
In the movies 100%.

Can't remember if the books go into a detailed description like the nose etc, but they are portrayed as being greedy and hoarding money so it's not a big stretch to say the books are also.

You can argue about whether she meant in intentionally, but intent is bit irrelevant because the end result is still anti-Semitic imo

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I'm sure this has been discussed a zillion times before, but I just now thought of it....the Farengi are goblins, aren't they?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most classic fantasy racial tropes are rooted in real-world stereotypes/racism/xenophobia, no?
Yup. Tolkien isn't exempt from this either.

Whens the last time you saw a black elf? In classic fantasy the good guys are all white or whiteish. Even elves and dwarves.

Orcs/Trolls/Goblins/ etc are all deformed and darker.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
One of the most frustrating things about the books to me is that even though they "grew up" in a lot of respects, the other species like the house elves and goblins were extremely one-note to the end. They even toyed with the idea of making one of the goblins not greedy but nah, he betrays the gang for money anyway.
I don't remember Griphook betrayal being a matter of greed, wasn't it to get back the sword which he felt was stolen by the wizards, and in the end his distrust of the wizards ( based on what we know, probably for good reasons ) ultimatly make him betray them to get that sword.
And he was kind of right, since they didn't really intend to keep their words and give him the sword after the break in, they still needed the sword for the other horcrux.

I might misremember thought.

That being said I was still disapointed by the betrayal, the same way it was disapointing to see the entirety of slytherin still being a one-note till the end, including the battle of hogwarts which would have been a good opportunity to show that no, not all slytherin are evil.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember Griphook betrayal being a matter of greed, wasn't it to get back the sword which he felt was stolen by the wizards, and in the end his distrust of the wizards ( based on what we know, probably for good reasons ) ultimatly make him betray them to get that sword.
And he was kind of right, since they didn't really intend to keep their words and give him the sword after the break in, they still needed the sword for the other horcrux.

I might misremember thought.

That being said I was still disapointed by the betrayal, the same way it was disapointing to see the entirety of slytherin still being a one-note till the end, including the battle of hogwarts which would have been a good opportunity to show that no, not all slytherin are evil.

Ah yeah I think you're right, although the whole goblin interpretation of ownership still felt a little gross

Plus they were still teenagers he was basically ready to have murdered

And yeah the Slytherin house stuff is definitely one of the worst examples of one-note writing

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes. I don't believe it was an intentional depiction but it's absolutely pulled from the same barrel of problematic depictions of fantasy races and creatures that have informed the likes of Tolkien and other fantasy writers as well.