• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which scene had more impact?

• Wolverine

Votes: 228 42.8%
  • Iron Man

Votes: 264 49.5%
  • They were both equal

Votes: 41 7.7%

• Total voters

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I didn't kinda like about the "I am Iron Man" line was the delivery. The pause between the "am..." and "Iron Man" was too long to the point that literally everyone knew what he was going to say, kinda softens the impact when you know what's going to be said.

Knowing what's going to be said just means the line was perfect and earned.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I love end game but tony didn't need to sacrifice himself to kill thanos. Once he had the Stones he could have used them in a different way then a snap. His death was also not as consequential to the overall story given the world was left with an army of super heros

Logan's death was far more poetic, far more necessary, and far more of an end.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Wolverine was far more impactful for me.

The "I am Iron Man" quote is actually almost funny to me because in universe it's Tony just suddenly remembering that he made a spur of the moment decision to embrace celebrity over a decade prior, but for Thanos it must sound like a really awkward schoolyard comeback.

"I am inevitable...."

"Oh yeah well I'm Iron Man"

"What? That doesn't really... What are you going for there?"

"No see there was this press conference where the news asked me if Iron Man was really my bodyguard like SHIELD wanted me to say, and I said nah and I was Iron Man, and also there's this Black Sabbath song, and... Look it loses its impact if you explain it but I was feeling kind of nostalgic since I'm about to die and I thought of this."

Yep.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
The amount of people not getting this is fucking bizarre.

Tony's not being meta and referencing some press conference from over a decade ago, guys.
The Russos literally said that they chose that line because it brought everything full circle with the first Iron Man.

Whatever you want to headcanon Tony's diegetic reasoning as, the thing that you're headcanoning around is the indisputable fact that it was put there because he said it in the first Iron Man.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
How it should have went down.

T: I am inevitable.

IM: Hi inevitable, I'm Iron Man.

Cut to everybody on the field giggling and Thanos getting embarrassed.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that makes Logan's final words hurt more is the double meaning. I mean, yeah, you have the whole "here's a two hundred year old guy finally getting to feel death" but the other side of that is he loved but was never loved. His wife was a plant to keep an eye on him and Jean Grey never loved him either. So to see that little girl, crying for him as he died, meant he finally knew what being loved felt like.

With Stark, that final line is defiance. He isn't acknowledging his death, he's finally defeating his demon. His death doesn't actually start to hurt until Pepper is with him, telling him that everyone is going to be fine and he can rest now. Bonus points for Pete apologising yet again, emphasising how this kid never needed an Uncle Ben because he already felt the responsibility and the guilt of not having done enough.

I think what makes Logan work is that it doesn't feel at all like a comic book movie. I'm not even sure if you need to see any X-Men movies before it to understand what's going on, so universal is its story. There's a certain added layer of sadness to the whole movie as well when you consider Days of Future Past is set in 2023. Which means, sometime in the six years between Days of Future Past and Logan, everyone still dies. They just die a different way.

So Logan works on multiple levels, as a movie on its own merits and the finale to a seventeen year long saga.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
The "I am Iron Man" quote is actually almost funny to me because in universe it's Tony just suddenly remembering that he made a spur of the moment decision to embrace celebrity over a decade prior, but for Thanos it must sound like a really awkward schoolyard comeback.

"I am inevitable...."

"No see there was this press conference where the news asked me if Iron Man was really my bodyguard like SHIELD wanted me to say, and I said nah and I was Iron Man, and also there's this Black Sabbath song, and... Look it loses its impact if you explain it but I was feeling kind of nostalgic since I'm about to die and I thought of this."
Sometimes the only person you need to entertain is yourself.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Russos literally said that they chose that line because it brought everything full circle with the first Iron Man.

Whatever you want to headcanon Tony's diegetic reasoning as, the thing that you're headcanoning around is the indisputable fact that it was put there because he said it in the first Iron Man.

Obviously the line itself is a reference to Iron Man. I didn't say otherwise. I said the character wasn't referencing some fucking press conference from the beginning of his hero career. Because he wasn't. Characters have different motivations than the writers crafting their lines.

This isn't hard. And neither is critical reading. But alas.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't remember the line from Logan until I read the OP, so Iron Man wins by default.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Ironman for me. I remember the theater so many people were crying because we got to live with him for so many years. I know we could say the same for Logan but the MCU connected us much more with the characters for me

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I'm Iron Man hits hard and is iconic. It fits perfectly. I forgot about Logan's quote the second I heard it.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
"So this is what it feels like" is more relatable to us as mortal viewers and at the same time humanizes a super hero. "I am iron man" embodies who Tony was.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
All the pageantry around Stark's death rang hollow for me, so I'll have to go with Logan. MCU films haven't really succeeded in making me emotionally invested.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
So this is what it feels like is better but thats mostly Logan is more likeable than rich ceo ultra powerful Tony Stark

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
One was meant to be badass, the other was meant to be emotional. Not really comparable.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The theater was quiet when Logan died, but people were fucking bawling when that arc reactor wreath floated out onto that lake.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
I actually never saw Iron Man 1, or the other two movies before Avengers 1. I just interpreted that scene as Tony giving Thanos a retort to his holier than thou "I am inevitable" line

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously the line itself is a reference to Iron Man. I didn't say otherwise. I said the character wasn't referencing some fucking press conference from the beginning of his hero career. Because he wasn't. Characters have different motivations than the writers crafting their lines.

I love getting the opportunity to use my favorite gif
giphy.gif

That's what I think about the notion of motivation in a line so completely devoid of anything but fan service. It's Game of Thrones ass-backwards writing, except they didn't even write backwards, there's just this black hole to headcanon 'motivation' into. It's "We really are the Iron Man of us". It's a giant neon eyeball flashing a 2-frame wink directly at the camera, and the argument that it means something other than "HEY IRON MAN 1" is the critical examination of a fast food commercial.

but alas me bro

giphy.gif

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): hostility towards other members, long history of similar behavior.
I love getting the opportunity to use my favorite gif
giphy.gif

That's what I think about the notion of motivation in a line so completely devoid of anything but fan service. It's Game of Thrones ass-backwards writing, except they didn't even write backwards, there's just this black hole to headcanon 'motivation' into. It's "We really are the Iron Man of us". It's a giant neon eyeball flashing a 2-frame wink directly at the camera, and the argument that it means something other than "HEY IRON MAN 1" is the critical examination of a fast food commercial.

but alas me bro

giphy.gif

The weird thing about this is the only person arguing Tony had some deep motivation when he spoke the line is...you.

I think it was just the character being glib and throwing something in the villain's face, something the character routinely did over the course of his life. You think he was reaching back to some moment that happened once years ago, in some effort to wink at the audience he doesn't know is there, as well as the audience around him that wouldn't know what the fuck he's talking about in that current moment.

But yeah, I'm the one trying to ascribe more to the moment than there is.

You're not very bright, are you?

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
The weird thing about this is the only person arguing Tony had some deep motivation when he spoke the line is...you.

I think it was just the character being glib and throwing something in the villain's face, something the character routinely did over the course of his life. You think he was reaching back to some moment that happened once years ago, in some effort to wink at the audience he doesn't know is there, and the audience around him that wouldn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

You're not very bright, are you?
I was born dumb and am secretly not actually literate

Is something I'm more than happy to say to get out of this painfully weird conversation with a sack of potatoes

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Iron Man's death because of the way it's handled after the snap, esspecially with how Pepper took charge and told him they'd be ok.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was born dumb and am secretly not actually literate

Is something I'm more than happy to say to get out of this painfully weird conversation with a sack of potatoes

Admitting to being unable to read properly to get out of this conversation is the first honest thing you've said here. That's growth. Good job.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Admitting to being unable to read properly to get out of this conversation is the first honest thing you've said here. That's growth. Good job.
well hey now, don't sell yourself short after you just said this
then read this
That's what I think about the notion of motivation in a line so completely devoid of anything but fan service.
then said this
You think he was reaching back to some moment that happened once years ago, in some effort to wink at the audience he doesn't know is there, as well as the audience around him that wouldn't know what the fuck he's talking about in that current moment.

I dunno what honesty has to do with any of this, but you're welcome to come join me in the muck, brother

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
The send-off for Wolverine is not really meant to be a triumphant win, so I think the entire tone of that film lends itself to making this moment a bit more impactful. He dies a hero, but in the middle of nowhere, and nobody will know except the people he saved. Iron Man literally caps off a massive superhero battle. Both endings are very comic-booky but one feels like an adult-oriented graphic novel ending and the other is a end of the summer "Cross-over" event ending.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well hey now, don't sell yourself short after you just said this

then read this

then said this

I dunno what honesty has to do with any of this, but you're welcome to come join me in the muck, brother

Tell the whole story, chief.

I said Tony wasn't referencing some old moment in his life and you jumped out to declare the directors said the line was a reference to the movie that moment happened in, completely missing that I never argued otherwise.

You did this because you lack reading comprehension skills. It's ok. Many adults do.

Well, it's not ok, and you should do something about it, but it's not the end of the world and you certainly aren't alone.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I didn't even remember the Wolverine line honestly. I think Logan is probably a better movie than Endgame but yeah Iron Man's death was better.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"I am inevitable...."

why are you showing so much concern for what the aggressor thinks about the scenario? Tony is the victim but somehow we are supposed to care about the feelings of a tyrant that killed countless people and snapped away half of the universe?

BLACK LAC

Nov 5, 2017
"I am Iron Man'" is actually iconic, with more/deeper meaning for the character and what he went through.

Easily the clear winner.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
I felt like "I am Iron Man" was a pretty weak and out of place line for that moment against Thanos.

Saying it to someone who actually knows him would be much better and not come off as cheesy.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't really like the delivery of the line from Tony but meh, that's nit picking. It hung on too long on that pause.

Hard to choose which one did it better though.