• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding inclusivity and representation; threadwhining
Seriously, these threads are getting really tiresome. There is no PoC in the original Avengers, I don't get the surprise. It's not like they purposely took X guy/girl out of the game for reasons.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix is not an American company. They probably have no idea why there would be backlash.

There is absolutely no reason to not include PoC. If there is more than one person on screen they should have different backgrounds. And we should never have a group of just white people. There should be PoC on "everything we touch". And we shouldn't have to wait. There should be PoC from the jump.

There's always some reason not to include PoC, although they're rarely better than reasons to include them.
You can absolutely have more than one person on screen without that requirement. Can you imagine how difficult it would be to direct anything while having to adhere to this idea?
Your last point is just too broad of a statement to seriously deal with, so I'm just assuming you don't mean that literally. Otherwise, you're being very unreasonable.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's always a reason not to include PoC, although they're rarely better than reasons to include them.
You can absolutely have more than one person on screen without that requirement. Can you imagine how difficult it would be to direct anything while having to adhere to this idea?
Your last point is just too broad of a statement to seriously deal with, so I'm just assuming you don't mean that literally. Otherwise, you're being very unreasonable.

How would it be difficult or unreasonable to include PoC? Not trying to be confrontational legit question.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
These are the original movie Avengers. Minus Hawkeye

Hell Captain America wasn't part of the original team until later on in the comics.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
0f03e6733b0cf567cc92e8e20290462f.jpg

True to source material

I see one black guy, one green guy and even a woman. That's enough diversity for y'all

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, these threads are getting really tiresome. There is no PoC in the original Avengers, I don't get the surprise. It's not like they purposely took X guy/girl out of the game for reasons.
The original Avengers are Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant-man and Wasp. This idea of "original Avengers" is very arbitrary considering the movie already went with a different original lineup. They could easily have any other character there and it still would be the Avengers.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The original Avengers are Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant-man and Wasp. This idea of "original Avengers" is very arbitrary considering the movie already went with a different original lineup. They could easily have any other character there and it still would be the Avengers.
Context is everything, I'm obviously not talking about the 1963 comics. This game is clearly based on the MCU.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
The MCU excuse doesn't work because of Hank and no Hawkeye

The Original Comics excuse doesn't work because of no Wasp, Widow, and Cap being there already.

There is no good excuse for why this line up looks this bland outside of CD and SE really not having a finger on the pulse. I know for a fact Sony would not have done this shit. Roster and character design wise.

They had a choice, and they chose the safest, blandest options.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
It's Marvel's Avengers. Nick Fury will probably be in the game, and Black Phanter added later GaaS style.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix is not an American company. They probably have no idea why there would be backlash.

There is absolutely no reason to not include PoC. If there is more than one person on screen they should have different backgrounds. And we should never have a group of just white people. There should be PoC on "everything we touch". And we shouldn't have to wait. There should be PoC from the jump.

Square Enix isn't doing anything with this project. Every western developed game is managed and published by Square Enix Europe for obvious reasons of distribution, language and travelling. Not only that but Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal are the developers so the JP argument don't make sense at all.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Square Enix isn't doing anything with this project. Every western developed game is managed and published by Square Enix Europe for obvious reasons of distribution, language and travelling. Not only that but Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal are the developers so the JP argument don't make sense at all.

They probably wouldn't get it either.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They went with the MCU AVENGERS 1 team, that's it. There is no anti-POC conspiracy here and even then, Kamala Khan will be there in the full game as will others

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
To definitively show your question to me was not in good faith.
Now that's done.

I see. I still don't see why you wouldn't be able to include a PoC in every piece of media.

They went with the MCU AVENGERS 1 team, that's it. There is no anti-POC conspiracy here and even then, Kamala Khan will be there in the full game as will others

There's no reason to not retcon or modify to include a PoC.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta cater to comicsgate assholes!

I hope we'll quickly get some diversity in there, the MCU is in a rather good place right now with how diverse the cast(s) are, it's a shame they'll probably only be using the OGs (minus Hawkeye) for release.

(Also give me spidey ASAP!)

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's the thing, it's also not really the movie lineup, because hawkeye is missing, and they showed hank pym, while the movies used Scott Lang.

So essentially they could have used whatever lineup they wanted.

Pym being there is irrelevant to Scott Lang. Both always existed together in the comics and this isn't a movie tie-in even if it's MCU influenced.

I agree with you especially since this is the first reveal but them revealing Ant-Man/Hank at the end sorta stings.

Like ya'll really couldn't have used that opportunity to tease Nick Fury, Black Panther, or Kamala Khan instead? Jeez.

Pym was Ant-Man for few years than Scott Lang lol There's no need to refer to him as such when most of his life he used Giant-Man identity between all of his ones.

And Pym reveal was awesome, even more because of him being based on the Pym from the West Coast Avengers.For gods sake, he's a founding avenger.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018

yeah, only white people are capable of saving the world; us coloreds need to shut up and accept it

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Very weird statement, considering this is a thread about Marvel...

I know.

But what I'm trying to say is that precisely because we have had many retcons changing race, color skin or gender of different characters, I thought we could for once try to respect the creator's vision.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I know.

But what I'm trying to say is that precisely because we have had many retcons changing race, color skin or gender of different characters, I thought we could for once try to respect the creator's vision.
What are you saying in reference to comics makes little sense because a lot of the original creators are dead and welcomed wild interpretations.

And if you mean the studio producing it, their vision is open to be criticized and isnt some infallible golden goose

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White people on Era dismissing the inclusion of PoC? I'm shocked.

This is the shit I'm talking about when people dismiss that Era has a diet racism problem.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know.

Stupid visions do not deserve or require respect.

Or:

What are you saying in reference to comics makes little sense because a lot of the original creators are dead and welcomed wild interpretations.

And if you mean the studio producing it, their vision is open to be criticized and isnt some infallible golden goose

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I know.

I don't see any reason why, in a space lacking in diversity, we should feel obligated to respect the vision of a creator that goes against a concept we're pushing for...

And you make it seem as if the retcons somehow aren't the creators' vision themselves...

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see any reason why, in a space lacking in diversity, we should feel obligated to respect the vision of a creator that goes against a concept we're pushing for...

And you make it seem as if the retcons somehow aren't the creators' vision themselves...

Precisely, since retcons are creator's visions, not doing retcons should be treated as well, right?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking the former? Ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender up for grabs. Very least they could do is make gender and ethnicity customizable on all the heros.

Wouldnt that defeat the purpose of using a licenced property? While I think the idea of a "Roll your own" Avengers is interesting it seems obvious it would lack basically all the appeal of the original property (I dont think anyone really cares about just calling themselves The Avengers). I think the fact they didnt go with the second option i.e. using a more racially diverse roster is significantly less excusable.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
What would you expect them to do? None of those characters are black. Development time is limited and they have to get the "Main Four" for sure. Black widow could have been substituted for Black Panther, but then people would complain about lack of females.

Im not arguing against inclusion or anything like that. But asking why a PoC isnt included when none of the canonical characters with a long history of being white arent black i less a sign of there being problems at the studio and more you being impatient. Im certain characters like Black Panther are coming, they just didnt have the dev time to get everyone into the base roster.

Im actually curious OP, if you were in their shoes and could only fit 5 heroes into the base roster, who would you choose to be inclusive of everyone while also including heroes that fans recognize and would be excited about?