• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not, at all...

Black Panther STILL doesn't have as strong a link to the Avengers brand as the aforementioned members, despite canonically being a member himself. His comment wasn't about general popularity, it was about brand recognition. Black Panther is hugely popular now as a Marvel entity, and was pretty popular amongst Marvel fans prior to the movie as well, but not what someone thinks of when they think "members of the Avengers"...
People didn't think of anyone as a "member of the avengers" before the first movie. And the cast changed in EVERY movie. That wasn't a problem for the movies at all, adding "niche" characters just promoted them.

Why now suddenly the Avengers have a set roster? That goes against all the interpretations of the group. They can easily have Kamala there in the trailer with them and people wouldn't hate the game just because of it, it's just a new cool hero for them to like.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
This is a good answer to your question. v
Yep, that is definitely true but I'd wager most of the core audience this game is targeting wouldn't think otherwise about naming Cap, Thor, Banner, Iron Man and Widow as the true "OG" Avengers.

I understand that's not true given the history of the comics but can't help but feel this decision comes down to some bland perception of "most iconic Avengers"

Hoping for something positive to come from further marketing of this title as Black Panther is one of my favourite Marvel movies.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
lol Nick Fury is probably white in this too.
hah nice catch, I didn't think about that. I think he will be the white version, but they seem to want to be MCU without actually being the MCU character design wise.

What if this is a situation like Dragon Age 2 where black skin shaders wasn't so good for the engine (tee-hee)

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
If you're doing a story mode based upon the og avengers and it's focused on 5 characters which of the 5 they picked do you cut? What poc character do you put in their place? And how do you even remotely argue it?

You're not cutting Captain America
You're not cutting Thor
You're not cutting Iron Man
You're not cutting Hulk

So do you cut the only female character in the roster in Black Widow? There isn't really a female minority Marvel character you could put in an avengers game and not have them stick out like a sore thumb.

Perhaps the Cap death won't be a fake out and we'll get a Sam Cap as his replacement. That seems like it could be a solid solution to the problem.

People are ignoring that this game was in development before Black Panther and Captain Marvel was on the map in terms of popularity. Those 4 you mentioned have to be in the game, Black Widow being the outlier. So it's 4 roster spots automatically filled out of 5.

I'm sure we'll see the other characters as DLC, but they need to come day 1 and have an impact on the story. Hopefully in advertisements as well

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Drive-by Trolling in a Sensitive Thread
The Hulk is green, OP, so you are either colorblind or just plain insensitive, how dare you

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
They mention a growing roster of heroes and mention new super heroes coming later. I have to think we will get representation, but I don't know what they were waiting for
We likely will, but it's also getting tiresome having to wait every single time for representation. If not T'Challa out of the gate, I would've been happy with Miles, War Machine, or Falcon, but those are the characters we conveniently have to wait for yet again.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is extremely false, even amongst non-Marvel fanatics...
I'm talking aboutt the general mass audience. I doubt before that movie people would be able to say "Yeah, obviously, the Avengers are Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, etc". I mean, the movie added Black Widow and Hawkeye to the first team and removed Ant-man and Wasp, that are more important Avengers characters, and people didn't mind it.

I'm sure they could add Kamala here and people wouldn't get mad. It would just promote her to a bigger audience.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think, ultimately, I'm just sick of the Avengers...

Yeah, they could have made a game with some PoC Avengers, despite the team being historically mostly white guys...

The easiest way to break away from any alienation of the current generation of Avengers "fans" would be to take some kind of opportunity to bring one of the other HUNDREDS of Marvel superhero sorties into the spotlight. I want my damn Spectrum and Blue Marvel and Captain Marvel and Black Panther and Miss America team of minorities +1 white lady to be as popular as these relics are, and the characters are cool enough to BE that...

Kamala Khan's popularity is undeniable, and so is Miles Morales...where tf is a Champions movie or game?...these teams are chock full of people that look like me...
We're rumored to be getting Ms. Marvel in the MCU in the near future, but a Champions movie would be different than the comics. Peter is still a teenager & they're probably gonna go for Richard Rider as Nova given their original plans for Infinity War. If anything, I could see the MCU Champions being Kamala/Peter/Shuri/Cassie/Kate (maybe Viv if we get her in the WandaVision show).

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Especially considering this is the West Coast Avengers team, it makes no sense why Hawkeye is there. Cap, Black Widow, Thor, and Hulk were never on the team.

And Hawkeye was the founder, who isn't even there.
I don't think they're actually the West Coast Avengers. From what the devs said they're just visiting.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I probably won't play this game because of this. It made me soooooo fucking uncomfortable. I kept cringing and when they revealed "Hank", I turned it off. I'm truly ashamed of being a white man sometimes.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It seems completely wild to me that after the massive success of Black Panther, Avengers Endgame and even Aquaman, the people at Square Enix decided to go with an exclusively white Avengers team. Even the OG Avengers movie at the very least featured Nick Fury, but Square proudly showed off a game in 2019 with 0 PoC and even threw in another white character as a stinger., What the actual hell is happening at the studio?

They've never been good at representation, tbh. Look at ff games or KH games. Mostly tokenism.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
What's my real account? Are you really Snoop Dogg?
AngelicFamiliarCrustacean-small.gif

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
If the rumors are true about the game, Kamala would be the one narrating the trailer.

At least I hope it's her, I really want to see more of her in Media that isn't the lame current cartoon. Especially after they mentioned the Terragen.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Are you really surprised? This isn't the movie is the game, at least there is a woman there

Elcornballero

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I swear I'm not being troll-y, but from now until the end of time will any game that doesn't have the right mixture of underrepresented people be a piece of trash automatically?

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
It really isn't. Outside of comics the Avengers weren't even a vaguely household name prior to the first Iron Man film.
Using the release of the Iron Man film as a starting point makes no sense as there was no mention of the Avengers in film around that time...despite that, we grew up on Avengers games, cartoons, and toys since, what, the 80s?...

Of course it hadn't reached the popularity it has since the movies but it was damn sure recognizable by fans of the comics and people who don't read the comics alike...

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Does Insomniac have exclusive game rights to Spider-Man? Even from a "We're only gonna put the base Avengers in because of brand recognition" standpoint it makes no sense to not include any of the Spider-people. It's not like no one knows who Miles is.

The deal is Spider-Man can be in team up games but the ones making team ups cannot make a solo Spider-Man game. That lies with Sony and Insomoniac.
Other Avengers have not been ruled out for Insomniac's Spider-Man games.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I probably won't play this game because of this. It made me soooooo fucking uncomfortable. I kept cringing and when they revealed "Hank", I turned it off. I'm truly ashamed of being a white man sometimes.
At the very least, all signs point to Kamala being playable and playing a major role in the story. Though like I said, she should've been in the trailer.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Just hoping for eventually having Kamala/Miles but I won't hold my breath.

Still hoping they take a Warframe approach and show off each hero's kits and drip feed them into the game for people.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
What I don't understand is why it HAD to be the "original" MCU 5? That alone screams that they don't have creative freedom! Could've thrown in Falcon for a 6th character to mix things up.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
We're rumored to be getting Ms. Marvel in the MCU in the near future, but a Champions movie would be different than the comics. Peter is still a teenager & they're probably gonna go for Richard Rider as Nova given their original plans for Infinity War. If anything, I could see the MCU Champions being Kamala/Peter/Shuri/Cassie/Kate (maybe Viv if we get her in the WandaVision show).
You're right, but I see no reason why the MCU couldn't take the same liberties it takes with everything else...

Far From Home seems to be rumored to span the multiverse, and Miles Morales is from the Ultimate universe. It would be wise for them to capitalize on his popularity as soon after Into the Spider-Verse as possible...

Unless they can't, for legal reasons...

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
We likely will, but it's also getting tiresome having to wait every single time for representation. If not T'Challa out of the gate, I would've been happy with Miles, War Machine, or Falcon, but those are the characters we conveniently have to wait for yet again.
I agree. There's not much of a defense. They aren't even strictly adhering to the comics OR the movies. Have some common sense!

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers in film around that time
Yes, there was. The Avengers initiative post credits is what started everyone digging up info about who the fuck the Avengers were in anticipation of the films.

despite that, we grew up on Avengers games, cartoons, and toys since, what, the 80s?...
No. We certainly had a few Avengers games, but we also had a few Biker Mice from Mars games. Few Marvel properties were labeled as 'Avengers' properties and most of the popular, long running things that came from Marvel IP were based on their more popular characters, Spider-Man and the X-Men

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Just hoping for eventually having Kamala/Miles but I won't hold my breath.

Still hoping they take a Warframe approach and show off each hero's kits and drip feed them into the game for people.
There are actual legitimate rumors pointing towards Kamala being playable. Miles on the other hand is up in the air.

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns on racism and representation
Is every thing always about race on here? Does nothing else occupy your time?

I have to agree with Elcornballero here.
I am Asian and this doesn't bother me at all. When was the last time you saw an Asian hero in any Marvel/DC movie? Doesn't affect me at all. I am so used to it.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. We certainly had a few Avengers games, but we also had a few Biker Mice from Mars games. Few Marvel properties were labeled as 'Avengers' properties and most of the popular, long running things that came from Marvel IP were based on their more popular characters, Spider-Man and the X-Men
The 90's Avengers United We Stand cartoon had Hank Pym as the main character and Falcon was part of the main roster. So yeah, the Avengers roster changes all the time and doesn't care about only having "A tier" characters.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
You're right, but I see no reason why the MCU couldn't take the same liberties it takes with everything else...

Far From Home seems to be rumored to span the multiverse, and Miles Morales is from the Ultimate universe. It would be wise for them to capitalize on his popularity as soon after Into the Spider-Verse as possible...

Unless they can't, for legal reasons...

His uncle Aaron is in Homecoming who mentioned his nephew so they should be good to go.