• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Comic book characters have been, for the vast, vast majority of time, perfect white supermodels. Unfortunately it´s like that. And when it comes to women the representation is also super lacking, I bet Widow is only there so they could have a female member for the roster... and shes a spy with zero cool abilities.

Only now that this is changing, with more female representation in comics, games... same for black protagonists. Also throwing Black Panther there wouldn´t make a lot of sense, or Nick Fury, since he is more of a behind the doors superhero. If they indeed had Black Panther it would be better to have Captain Marvel instead of Widow.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some MCU fans love downplaying the original comics and other material (like the cartoons). lol It's so weird.

Kamala is as much of a "who" to mass audiences as Black Widow was to mass audiences before the MCU. There's no reason at all to not show her, I bet MCU-only fans are used to seeiing new heroes and liking them, they would like Ms. Marvel.
Every character needs to be introduced in some way anyway.

Marvel started putting Strange and The Guardians in media long before there movies came out.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MCU inspiration is clear, but it's also not a 1:1 copy hence not Scott but Hank.

So where's Wasp then? She coined the name. She IS the original Avenger.

They could have mixed the things up.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
NervousIckyDog-size_restricted.gif

My mentality going into things like this is to put the story first, use the characters to serve the story not the other way around. Good writing + strong characters that drive the narrative should be priority number 1. EVERYTHING ELSE comes later. And by introducing that specific set of characters, you get your representation, and you get good storybuilding tools:

Black Panther and Storm are married, it would also introduce Wakanda to the game, introduce the X-Men, AND you'd get the PoC + Female representation. Triple whammy.

With Hawkeye you get a whole SHIELD storyline, and assuming it's Black Fury in this one, it would put focus on Fury, Captain Marvel, and Hank Pym (who works for SHIELD).

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The truth is this game is clearly heavily inspired by the MCU, and when it started development they had no idea how big BP or CM would be in the MCU and the MCU was a white man fest sadly. Considering we know Marvel themselves was taken back by how well BP did is it really a surprise that Crystal Dynamics wouldn't consider making him part of the main 5 for this game.
Falcon.

My apologies; most of the ones the MCU started off with.
Plus Hank Pym

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Here's something to consider; they definitely mention West Coast Avengers as a part of the set-up for the story...

That means people like James Rhodes Iron Man, Fuse, and America Chavez could potentially be in the game somewhere down the line...I honestly think Kamala has the highest chance of being introduced in the game tbh...

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some MCU fans love downplaying the original comics and other material (like the cartoons). lol It's so weird.

Kamala is as much of a "who" to mass audiences as Black Widow was to mass audiences before the MCU. There's no reason at all to not show her, I bet MCU-only fans are used to seeiing new heroes and liking them, they would like Ms. Marvel.

Yeah, for those same people who was Iron Man, Black Panther, Black Widow, Guardians of Galaxy and so many characters before? The majority of them didn't know any of those before and only knows anything when cross media happens with cartoon and movies. It's such a weird complain.

laser

Feb 17, 2018
Love how this thread lacks so much vision and imagination.

Its almost as if.... You're making a video game and aren't tied down to doing the OG Avengers to start. You can easily begin with an extended team to start.

But y'all break out the "we need explanations" bullshit for anyone with a lil melanin being involved. Wouldn't say shit if Scarlet Witch was on starting roster but Kamala and TChalla need full back stories and permission slips to intro the game lol
Yup, agreed 100%. Why not start with the characters you want and do the backstories when it makes sense?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
i highly doubt this trailer was made when they started dev. And even if that's the case, it's ok to point out how jarring it is with the image the MCU is trying to portray now.

This trailer focused heavily on what looks like the first 15 minutes and was mostly story content. Even if they wanted to be super progressive I'm not sure there was much they could have done with the scenario they originally wrote. The game started development well before Black Panther blew up massively which is really when Marvel began to start pushing the new MCU portrayal. Had this game started development this year I imagine diversity would have been a higher priority during development as opposed to the hyper focus on the og mcu avengers.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
This trailer focused heavily on what looks like the first 15 minutes and was mostly story content. Even if they wanted to be super progressive I'm not sure there was much they could have done with the scenario they originally wrote. The game started development well before Black Panther blew up massively which is really when Marvel began to start pushing the new MCU portrayal. Had this game started development this year I imagine diversity would have been a higher priority during development as opposed to the hyper focus on the og mcu avengers.
"You have to understand, they didn't understand they could make money without an all white lineup."

Nov 30, 2017
THis lineup is a mix of OG Avengers in comics and movie. Hank Pym is Ant-man, and the token female is Black Widow rather than Wasp

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
there could be all sorts of reasons, but that doesn't make it a good look.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Feels like they started with the ORiginal MCU Avengers and will continue to add heroes as they go along. I haven't seen anything to indicate that they are omitting PoC for nefarious reasons.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Look at this other Marvel Game.

Now This i'm Looking forward too.
It's possible that they want to do that many characters, but it looks like they are aiming for most of the characters to play extra differently. Like Iron Man's flying looks kind of like Anthem (just like Anthem was clearly following Iron Man). Probably makes this take extra time.

That said, we didn't really see any continuous gameplay so I'm not sure how much differently they'll actually end up playing from each other lol.
Still quite worried every time an online game says it's going to be satisfying as a single-player with story (hey there Anthem PR...).

It doesn't seem like any part of what was shown was drawing inspiration from the cartoons at all tho...
The voice cast is at least. They got about half of them back. Kinda weird they didn't get back Cap's VA. I think he's voiced plenty of games before if I remember correctly.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Yup, agreed 100%. Why not start with the characters you want and do the backstories when it makes sense?
Call me crazy, but maybe, just maybe these starting characters are now so closely linked with the Avengers brand that they felt this was the best direction for their game?

Maybe that's why they plucked to do these characters first? Iconic characters given their prevalence in the movies and general recognition from the movie going public?

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
They really stuck to the MCU navel to a fault for the reveal. We live in a time where bipedal tree that can only say 4 words is a household name. Even worse is that the designs are really uninspired.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017

Black Panther was a "who" to mass audiences until 2014 when Civil War hit. Whether or not somebody is a household name is irrelevant, since you can make them a household name by quality and proximity to characters that are well known, especially if they already have cult popularity.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I think, ultimately, I'm just sick of the Avengers...

Yeah, they could have made a game with some PoC Avengers, despite the team being historically mostly white guys...

The easiest way to break away from any alienation of the current generation of Avengers "fans" would be to take some kind of opportunity to bring one of the other HUNDREDS of Marvel superhero sorties into the spotlight. I want my damn Spectrum and Blue Marvel and Captain Marvel and Black Panther and Miss America team of minorities +1 white lady to be as popular as these relics are, and the characters are cool enough to BE that...

Kamala Khan's popularity is undeniable, and so is Miles Morales...where tf is a Champions movie or game?...these teams are chock full of people that look like me...

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy, but maybe, just maybe these starting characters are now so closely linked with the Avengers brand that they felt this was the best direction for their game?

Maybe that's why they plucked to do these characters first? Iconic characters given their prevalence in the movies and general recognition from the movie going public?

This is a good answer to your question. v
Black Panther was a "who" to mass audiences until 2014 when Civil War hit. Whether or not somebody is a household name is irrelevant, since you can make them a household name by quality and proximity to characters that are well known, especially if they already have cult popularity.

laser

Feb 17, 2018
Feels like they started with the ORiginal MCU Avengers and will continue to add heroes as they go along. I haven't seen anything to indicate that they are omitting PoC for nefarious reasons.
While I don't think the final released product will be lacking of POC, especially if the speculation that the narrator is Kamala is correct, one aspect of racism is that it doesn't have to be nefarious. A lot of the time it's just taking the default way because that's the way it's always been.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Love how this thread lacks so much vision and imagination.

Its almost as if.... You're making a video game and aren't tied down to doing the OG Avengers to start. You can easily begin with an extended team to start.

But y'all break out the "we need explanations" bullshit for anyone with a lil melanin being involved. Wouldn't say shit if Scarlet Witch was on starting roster but Kamala and TChalla need full back stories and permission slips to intro the game lol

Yeah. Moreover, it's not like they have to keep the OG members the same. It doesn't even need to be an extended team. You can come up with whatever reason you want to explain how this universe's Avengers team is started by any other members. Hell, you can even make it so that the OG members don't exist and the X-Men were the Avengers instead of being...X-Men. You can make up whatever you want -- that's the fun in creating things.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
They mention a growing roster of heroes and mention new super heroes coming later. I have to think we will get representation, but I don't know what they were waiting for

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No they are not. Hank Pym was a founding member of the Avengers in the comics along with Thor, Iron Man, and Hulk. Only person different is Black Widow which is MCU in place of Wasp from the comics.

Cap wasn't even a founding member.
If there's no MCU influence then why are Cap and Black Widow there instead of Wasp and no one?

Elcornballero

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Concerns on Racism and Representation; Account in Junior Phase
Is every thing always about race on here? Does nothing else occupy your time?

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
This is a good answer to your question. v
It's really not, at all...

Black Panther STILL doesn't have as strong a link to the Avengers brand as the aforementioned members, despite canonically being a member himself (their leader now, a member a long ass time ago). His comment wasn't about general popularity, it was about brand recognition. Black Panther is hugely popular now as a Marvel entity, and was pretty popular amongst Marvel fans prior to the movie as well, but not what someone thinks of when they think "members of the Avengers"...