• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Well, while there HAVE been PoC in the Avengers many times throughout the team's history, these are the most recognizable members in association with the moniker right now and have been for a while...

I wouldn't be opposed to them using people like Luke Cage (who honestly never really fit) or Monica Rambeau (who I'd rather have in an Alpha Flight game), but it'd be much better for representation if they didn't half-ass it by tossing them into a main-team Avenger's focused game at the height of this particular team's popularity...

Give us a Champions game, or Alpha Flight, or that Avengers team that's led by the gay hispanic electric guy I saw in a crossover!...

ManiLink

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Yeah, Marvel roots aren't political at all.

ttu3blagcboxykqjexjh.jpg

1664060013948443605603235959838189054498357njpg.jpeg
Don't twist my words.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a POC but...? Check.
SJW? Check.
No politics in my vidya game? Check.

Man, you hit all the bullshit, disingenuous alt-right buzzwords.

The irony is that he's saying the game isn't making a political statement but Black Panther himself was created as a political statement. Fuck, the Marvel comics have always been political.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder while this isn't the movie universe its probably heavily inspired by it. They didn't have to go this route, but chose to anyways.

I'm sure we will see Black Panther and more as DLC/Future characters added to the game.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a person of colour and would rather a team of White Avengers. SJWs be damned. Will make an impact when Black Panther finally eventually arrives in the the story anyway. The studio is making a videogame not a political or social statement.
A good chunk of Marvel comics, and comics in general, are inherently political. Your stance against a more diverse cast is baffling.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Black Panther should have been in the spot they chose to show. I do think he will be in the game from the start and not an extra character player dlc later. I hope so at least.
Spider-man and Black Panther will print money, I have a feeling they will be dlc, I was hoping just skins would be DLC but now I'm thinking it will be actual characters (kind of like that Marvel Diablo clone we use to have)

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a person of colour and would rather a team of White Avengers. SJWs be damned. Will make an impact when Black Panther finally eventually arrives in the the story anyway. The studio is making a videogame not a political or social statement.

You're banned but I would argue all of the Avengers are Social Justice Warriors. So you're dumb as hell.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, while there HAVE been PoC in the Avengers many times throughout the team's history, these are the most recognizable members in association with the moniker right now and have been for a while...

I wouldn't be opposed to them using people like Luke Cage (who honestly never really fit) or Monica Rambeau (who I'd rather have in an Alpha Flight game), but it'd be much better for representation if they didn't half-ass it by tossing them into a main-team Avenger's focused game at the height of this particular team's popularity...

Give us a Champions game, or Alpha Flight, or that Avengers team that's led by the gay hispanic electric guy I saw in a crossover!...
Who

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
They used Hank instead of Scott.
Would not surprise me if Fury was white too.

Last edited:

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Not talking about just games.
Okay, well in that case Falcon just became Captain America, Black Panther and his supporting cast is set to be one of the main driving forces behind the next phase of the MCU, the first openly gay hero is soon being introduced, Shang-Chi is in development..and I haven't kept up with comics for a while, but I remember alot of strides being made in the comics too. Hell, Miles just had a feature film and a supporting role in the Spider-Man PS4 game.

Marvels actually starting to be in a super great place diversity wise, and no doubt it's just going to get better.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
If you're doing a story mode based upon the og avengers and it's focused on 5 characters which of the 5 they picked do you cut? What poc character do you put in their place? And how do you even remotely argue it?

You're not cutting Captain America
You're not cutting Thor
You're not cutting Iron Man
You're not cutting Hulk

So do you cut the only female character in the roster in Black Widow? There isn't really a female minority Marvel character you could put in an avengers game and not have them stick out like a sore thumb.

Perhaps the Cap death won't be a fake out and we'll get a Sam Cap as his replacement. That seems like it could be a solid solution to the problem.
You say that but that as totally Miss Marvel narrating the trailer. I really hope she is the first dlc or included in the base game

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Spider-man and Black Panther will print money, I have a feeling they will be dlc, I was hoping just skins would be DLC but now I'm thinking it will be actual characters (kind of like that Marvel Diablo clone we use to have)

I think it will just be skins. They said all characters are free. I played a ton of Marvel Heroes and they're were so many skins! Iron Man in particular had like 15 lol. There is good money there.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think people are tired of Cap, Thor, BW, Hulk, after more than ten years of Avengers movies and the MCU as a whole? I sure as shit am.

"Generic" was the wrong word. As characters, they're far from it. But everything about this presentation screams lazy and, yeah, a little bland. That's what I'm trying to say.
I get it but at the same time there's no denying these characters are popular.

At the same time I agree they should have added other characters to show better diversity. If not BP then Falcon or something.(Or actually show Ms. Marvel if that rumor is true.)
Why get bent out of shape about some people calling them generic when the larger point of the lack of POC still stands?
I don't like belittling popular characters I like to try and make a point.

It works just as well without trying to pretend Tony Stark isn't probably one of the most popular characters in modern fiction.
So far we don't know but the implication is that they'll roll out more as DLC starting with Ant-Man, which doesn't fill me with much confidence as far as the base roster is concerned

Hopefully this is clarified soon because I will be disappointed if that's true.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
They're tired and overused at this point. Do something new.
They're the god damn Avengers! Tired and overused, lol. They've just been the main characters in the second biggest grossing film in cinema history.

An Avengers game that didn't have the MCU main players would have been crazy. There's plenty of scope for the wider roster to be added over time. That much is obvious.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
??? Theres like 3 different clones relevant right now(Future Fight and another whose name I forgot on mobile and UA3)

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Okay, well in that case Falcon just became Captain America, Black Panther and his supporting cast is set to be one of the main driving forces behind the next phase of the MCU, the first openly gay hero is soon being introduced, Shang-Chi is in development..and I haven't kept up with comics for a while, but I remember alot of strides being made in the comics too. Hell, Miles just had a feature film and a supporting role in the Spider-Man PS4 game.

Marvels actually starting to be in a super great place diversity wise, and no doubt it's just going to get better.

Right. I definitely agree with you on all counts. My main point is I wish they would have taken the time to make that a large part of their presentation for this game in particular.

Stealth edit: It will probably be included in the game for sure. I'm not saying it won't be. But for the world premiere of this game, it would have been super cool if they had done more than the main cast.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Okay hold up, I'm a person of color and I had NO problem with that trailer (other than that the character models and their respective outfits sucked donkey dick).
I don't give a rat's ass about whether or not the base roster has any PoC. It's the fucking Avengers man, the OG roster and the OG movie roster had no PoC. They were added later and as long as the story does justice to the characters and their history I don't care.

As long as Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics/Eidos Montreal respect the source material and do justice to each of the characters and the overarching story, everything else can come afterwards. Put Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Storm, and Hawkeye as the first wave of playable characters.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're doing a story mode based upon the og avengers and it's focused on 5 characters which of the 5 they picked do you cut? What poc character do you put in their place? And how do you even remotely argue it?

You're not cutting Captain America
You're not cutting Thor
You're not cutting Iron Man
You're not cutting Hulk

So do you cut the only female character in the roster in Black Widow? There isn't really a female minority Marvel character you could put in an avengers game and not have them stick out like a sore thumb.

Perhaps the Cap death won't be a fake out and we'll get a Sam Cap as his replacement. That seems like it could be a solid solution to the problem.
Kamala?

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

They already said that new characters/expansions would be free.

I'd imagine that skins will get quite expensive though

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People need to stop stirring up controversy. The roster is perfect. It perfectly captures the iconic Avengers team. Not every single game needs a token black/Hispanic/Asian/etc character.

There is plenty of room for other heroes to make appearances, or even become playable as DLC.

we move away from tokenism by actually making minorities staples in these games

there should be so many minorities in these games that you don't even notice it when there is one, that should be the goal

we cant get away from tokenism until we start flooding everything with as many different types of people as possible, im guilty of reflexively thinking of white as the default all the time, that will change once we bring others into the fold in a real way

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Nick Fury will have a role in the game. But the game clearly has the most popular of the OG's.
I'm kind of expecting Fury to die early on. When Tony said "we failed him," the only person I could think of in regards to "him" was Fury. I hope I'm wrong though.

Ignore this post, I'm a dummy and didn't see the statue of Cap.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I would like to imagine they will reveal more characters little by little. (Ant-man)

But yea that cast at the reveal. I guess it's good they still had Black Widow.

Honestly though the SE reveal was really lame. Like they kept all the details for the show booth.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Remember when Captain America, a product of American and German war-time science clothed in propaganda imagery, took down an international (but still US-focused) intelligence agency because Operation Paperclip resulted in it being significantly compromised by a Nazi death cult which had been enacting fascistic influence within the US government for decades?

#notpolitical

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther does have a pretty boring power set, not sure how well it will transfer to a game like this.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I get it but at the same time there's no denying these characters are popular.

At the same time I agree they should have added other characters to show better diversity. If not BP then Falcon or something.(Or actually show Ms. Marvel if that rumor is true.)

I don't like belittling popular characters I like to try and make a point.

It works just as well without trying to pretend Tony Stark isn't probably one of the most popular characters in modern fiction.

Hopefully this is clarified soon because I will be disappointed if that's true.
I'm not saying they're not popular. I just wish they had done something new and different.

OP
OP
SENPAIatLARGE

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay hold up, I'm a person of color and I had NO problem with that trailer (other than that the character models and their respective outfits sucked donkey dick).
I don't give a rat's ass about whether or not the base roster has any PoC. It's the fucking Avengers man, the OG roster and the OG movie roster had no PoC. They were added later and as long as the story does justice to the characters and their history I don't care.

As long as Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics/Eidos Montreal respect the source material and do justice to each of the characters and the overarching story, everything else can come afterwards. Put Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Storm, and Hawkeye as the first wave of playable characters.
NervousIckyDog-size_restricted.gif