• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game looks pretty ehhhh as is. If they are going for a "realistic" style which they are, and they aren't going for the actors of the films... then have some fun with it. Have a black tony stark or a Latino black widow, but she did spying missions through Central America instead of Russia! It's not hard guys. Or include black panther from the start! He's huge and popular! Why wouldn't you do this!

Shockingly lazy

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
then why is Ant-Man there?

Fun fact, Ant-Man was supposed to be part of Phase 1 when Edgar Wright was working on it, but Marvel didn't like his script so it got pushed back. It was then supposed to release before Age of Ultron but Marvel and Wright ended up having creative differences so his script got scrapped for the most part. Ant-Man was supposed to be incorporated into the MCU before Age of Ultron, but because of issues with Wright, it got pushed again forcing Marvel to change Age of Ultron's script from having Hank Pym as Ultron's Creator (like the comics) to Tony Stark and Bruce Banner instead. Ultron's design had to be altered to look closer to Iron Man's armors but it still had remnants of Ant-Man's helmet (to be accurate to its comicbook counterpart).

Adam McKay Joe Cornish, and Paul Rudd picked up the remains and finished off the script (Wright still being billed as writer on the project) with Peyton Reed directing. There was demo reel footage that got leaked right after the first Avengers movie, but because of delays and the script not being finalized, it was released as a tag to Phase 2 after Age of Ultron instead of before.

Also, fun fact #2: Ant-Man is one of the original 6 Avengers: Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Wasp, Ant-Man. (Black Widow and Hawkeye join later).

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
4 generic white dudes and one white woman. The character they added? Another generic white man.

There isn't a single ounce of creativity in this game.
Four of the best known males and one of the best known females in all of pop culture right now, hot off being in the second highest grossing movie of all time.

"Generic"

Okay.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why CD didn't use this opportunity to really distance themselves or give the vibe they are doing their own thing and showcase even ONE character that hasn't been done to death since the MCU started.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
People need to stop stirring up controversy. The roster is perfect. It perfectly captures the iconic Avengers team. Not every single game needs a token black/Hispanic/Asian/etc character.

There is plenty of room for other heroes to make appearances, or even become playable as DLC.

"Why isn't there a white history month!?"

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Also is it honestly fair to call the 4 white dudes "generic"?

One spends most of the time being a giant green monster
One is a super solider who was frozen for an extended amount of time
One is an alien and God from another world.

I wouldn't call them generic in any sense. Tony, yeah. Sort of generic.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They shoulda went with Amadeus Cho Hulk over Banner. Banner sucks, Cho is more interesting, and theyd still have a Hulk.

My gay is angry Cho gets nothing outside gachas

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a person of colour and would rather a team of White Avengers. SJWs be damned. Will make an impact when Black Panther finally eventually arrives in the the story anyway. The studio is making a videogame not a political or social statement.
I'm a POC but...? Check.
SJW? Check.
No politics in my vidya game? Check.

Man, you hit all the bullshit, disingenuous alt-right buzzwords.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop stirring up controversy. The roster is perfect. It perfectly captures the iconic Avengers team. Not every single game needs a token black/Hispanic/Asian/etc character.
The "iconic Avengers team" from the movie isn't even the iconic Avengers team from the comics. Which kinda proves you can tweak it without any problems, I doubt people would be disappointed if Black Panther was there.

If they just added character they liked then why couldn't they start with Black Panther?

And where's Wasp? She's an original Avenger.
I thought it was implied that Janet was with Hank in the end?

Hank over Scott was a bad call honestly, I prefer Ant-Man the plucky crook tryin to stay out of jail.
Nah. Hank fans need wins. I loved that it's Hank.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was hoping in 2019 we'd be past showcasing your work with an all white cast and one token female character.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Black Panther should have been in the spot they chose to show. I do think he will be in the game from the start and not an extra character player dlc later. I hope so at least.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
It's a game that seems to be taking main inspiration from the movies, don't know why people are expecting anything else. Even based on the MCU alone there are only 6 Avengers and like 4 New Avengers with War Machine being one of those.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was about what I expected. The shield, naming it Avengers, everything about this game pointed to this being an MCU thing with the main ones. Gameplay looks interesting but yeah, the total lack of any other heroes in the base launch is disappointing

There's always Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, I suppose.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I'm a person of colour and would rather a team of White Avengers. SJWs be damned. Will make an impact when Black Panther finally eventually arrives in the the story anyway. The studio is making a videogame not a political or social statement.
🤔
Saying you're a POC doesn't make what you just said sound any better, actually it sounds pretty stupid.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Marvel roots aren't political at all.

ttu3blagcboxykqjexjh.jpg

1664060013948443605603235959838189054498357njpg.jpeg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
????

Do you think people are tired of Iron Man only a few months after Endgame?

i want newblood too but that doesn't mean get rid of everybody else.
You don't have to get rid of the originals to do something new. The upset isn't over the base cast being in the game, it's that the base game seems to be JUST the main cast

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original Avengers are kinda shitty about that tbh. Doesn't mean Square couldn't have changed that.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
It seems completely wild to me that after the massive success of Black Panther, Avengers Endgame and even Aquaman, the people at Square Enix decided to go with an exclusively white Avengers team. Even the OG Avengers movie at the very least featured Nick Fury, but Square proudly showed off a game in 2019 with 0 PoC and even threw in another white character as a stinger., What the actual hell is happening at the studio?
No PoC and just one woman. And this looks to be like Anthem (which I don't like)​

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was about what I expected. The shield, naming it Avengers, everything about this game pointed to this being an MCU thing with the main ones. Gameplay looks interesting but yeah, the total lack of any other heroes in the base launch is disappointing

There's always Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, I suppose.

Are we not expecting any more heroes to show up?

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping mods are letting this thread stew a bit for some bans. Some of the attitudes in here are fucking disgusting.

Game looked bland. Cast looked like a loaf of wonderbread.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant believe only a few pages in and theres already someone saying SJW unironically and claiming theyre a POC that wants an all white cast lmao holy shit

It's not creativity, but damn they could have done something more than just the base Avengers. Stop trying to twist my words.

And why don't you start with him?
Because hes Black

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
????

Do you think people are tired of Iron Man only a few months after Endgame?

i want newblood too but that doesn't mean get rid of everybody else.

Do you think people are tired of Cap, Thor, BW, Hulk, after more than ten years of Avengers movies and the MCU as a whole? I sure as shit am.

"Generic" was the wrong word. As characters, they're far from it. But everything about this presentation screams lazy and, yeah, a little bland. That's what I'm trying to say.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If you're doing a story mode based upon the og avengers and it's focused on 5 characters which of the 5 they picked do you cut? What poc character do you put in their place? And how do you even remotely argue it?

You're not cutting Captain America
You're not cutting Thor
You're not cutting Iron Man
You're not cutting Hulk

So do you cut the only female character in the roster in Black Widow? There isn't really a female minority Marvel character you could put in an avengers game and not have them stick out like a sore thumb.

Perhaps the Cap death won't be a fake out and we'll get a Sam Cap as his replacement. That seems like it could be a solid solution to the problem.