• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I kinda like the cross-buy system the way they've got it. Trophy hunters are going to be doubling down on those Platinum Trophies!

Plum

May 31, 2018
actually Cold War doesn't support Smart Delivery, on xbox it looks just like that with series x/s version and xb1 version
Your screenshot of Call of Duty is going to be exactly like that on Xbox because Call of Duty is not a cross-buy game and it does not use Xbox smart delivery.

I forgot that, but it's the exact same for The Pathless as well which would almost definitely support Smart Delivery were it on Xbox. I apologise for not having a very specific title to give an evidenced comparison of, but if someone else has one then it would great if they could post it themselves.

OP
OP
Belthazar90

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I kinda like the cross-buy system the way they've got it. Trophy hunters are going to be doubling down on those Platinum Trophies!

That's one of my favorite things tbh, I'm not getting any of the new consoles at launch so I'll be getting those plats on PS4 and it will still be worth it to replay it on PS5 due to getting the trophies again.

OP
OP
Belthazar90

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I forgot that, but it's the exact same for The Pathless as well which would almost definitely support Smart Delivery were it on Xbox. I apologise for not having a very specific title to give an evidenced comparison of, but if someone else has one then it would great if they could post it themselves.

I don't understand why having the option of downloading both versions would be considered a negative though.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
The only difference in the end was the compatibility of the save system between versions being mandatory on Xbox, while solutions had to be devised for PS4 to PS5 transfer.
You say that as if it's a really minor technicality or something, but it's a pretty significant differentiator. The big benefit to 'Smart Delivery' is that it's not only just buying 1 SKU (with a single set of achievements), it's that your can start on one generation and pick-up on the next when you upgrade seamlessly. This is not that.

OP
OP
Belthazar90

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
You say that as if it's a really minor technicality or something, but it's a pretty significant differentiator. The big benefit to 'Smart Delivery' is that it's not only just buying 1 SKU (with a single set of achievements), it's that your can start on one generation and pick-up on the next when you upgrade seamlessly. This is not that.

Yeah, but this approach presents the advantage of being able to earn the trophies again if you're replaying the game on PS5 after finishing it on PS4.

Zones

Oct 28, 2017
Just like how Apple called their high resolution / high pixel density screens "Retina Display", Microsoft has dubbed their cross-buy initiative as "Smart Delivery".

There's absolutely nothing else to them except being new marketing slogans / trademarks of already existing products and services.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
No it doesn't.

PS5 games:
- Don't all support transferring saves.
- Don't all share trophy lists.
- Don't all show as one game in your library.
- Don't do all of this completely invisibly.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Still... if you're not an early adopter and ends up getting the plat on PS4 that would mean replaying it on PS5 would still be worth your while (if you care about trophies that is)

Meh, platinuming a game is like squeezing every last drop out of the experience.
That's nothing you wanna do twice. Usually, after platinuming a game, you really don't ever wanna touch it again 😓

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Yeah, but this approach presents the advantage of being able to earn the trophies again if you're replaying the game on PS5 after finishing it on PS4.
Why would spending $69.99 to earn trophies for a game that you've already played be an actual argument you're making to support your thesis? The whole point of Smart Delivery is a single SKU/single save that crosses two generations and tailors your experience to the console you're on. Single achievement list, etc.

OP
OP
Belthazar90

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
No it doesn't.

PS5 games:
- Don't all support transferring saves.
- Don't all share trophy lists.
- Don't all show as one game in your library.
- Don't do all of this completely invisibly.

- That's on a game by game basis
- That's a positive IMO
- That's another positive, as you're able to play both
- Pushing a button to download a desired version is really not that big of a deal and you're getting the possibility of playing the PS4 version while you're at it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- That's a positive IMO
- Pushing a button to download a desired version is really not that big of a deal and you're getting the possibility of playing the PS4 version while you're at it.

wat

Navigating through pick and mix of what is and isnt supported game by game, increases your research skills, its a plus!

Whitehouse Kayleigh McEnany level spin there.

Last edited:

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA
Just like how Apple called their high resolution / high pixel density screens "Retina Display", Microsoft has dubbed their cross-buy initiative as "Smart Delivery".

There's absolutely nothing else to them except being new marketing slogans / trademarks of already existing products and services.
People here already kinda explained it.
A title featuring 'smart delivery' means it supports a 'set' of cross compatible features. Not just owning both versions of the game.

PS4-PS5 crossbuy. You buy a PS4 version and get a copy of the PS5 version for free.

Smart delivery Same as above but also has
- cross save
- cross achievements
- cross user settings I believe as well
etc.

It's a significant difference

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
While the Xbox version is awesome and makes it easier it is nice having the option of playing the PS4 version on the PS5 as well.

Unless you can play the Xbox One version on Xbox Series and I am mistaken.
For Smart Delivery games, there isn't an Xbox One version of the game or a Series X|S version of the game. It's an Xbox game that you can play in both places with shared progression. It's like a PC game with cloud synced saves.
PlayStation is using different versions of the game and they are figuring out a way to transfer save data.

OP
OP
Belthazar90

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
My guy, why would spending about $69.99 to earn trophies be an actual argument you're making to support your thesis? The whole point of Smart Delivery is a single SKU/single save that crosses two generations and tailors your experience to the console you're on. Single achievement list, etc.

What? I'm talking about cross-buy games. You won't have to spend 69,99 on anything... you'll buy your 59,99 game and be able to play on both

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
how do discs work? I just bought Assassin's Creed Valhalla PS5 physical. What happens when I put in the disc, is it just an install of the PS5 version, does it install the PS4 version then I can upgrade?

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
- That's a positive IMO
Whether you see them is as positives or negatives is irrelevant. "Smart delivery" is the backend and SDK features that allow devs to easily implement all of these features and for consumers to use them invisibly. PS5 does not have them.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't understand why having the option of downloading both versions would be considered a negative though.

You made this thread to say that the PS5 has Smart Delivery when it doesn't, not to debate on the downsides and merits between the two. I simply pointed out that you're wrong. Sony's 'Smart Delivery' solution is literally the same thing as the PS3/Vita cross-buy games from the early 2010s.

This is literally false.

Smart Delivery = 1 SKU, with a single save file and achievement list, that automatically changes according to the platform it's played on/downloaded to
PS4/PS5 Cross-Buy = 2 separate SKUs with multiple save files and trophy lists

OP
OP
Belthazar90

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
how do discs work? I just bought Assassin's Creed Valhalla PS5 physical. What happens when I put in the disc, is it just an install of the PS5 version, does it install the PS4 version then I can upgrade?

It just installs the PS5 version, it would have to download the PS5 version if you bought the PS4 version. On xbox it seems that there's only Xbox One data on the disc (due to the discs having to be 50GB max to be read on the old consoles) and you'll have to download the XSX version in any case.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
does Miles Morales have this? If so I will give my PS4 to my son and he can play it in his room.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
It just installs the PS5 version, it would have to download the PS5 version if you bought the PS4 version. On xbox it seems that there's only Xbox One data on the disc (due to the discs having to be 50GB max to be read on the old consoles) and you'll have to download the XSX version in any case.

if you buy a physical PS4 game like creed does it install the ps4 version and then you go to the online store to "buy" the ps5 version? or is there an upgrade choice in the game?

I'm wondering because having trophy data for Ps4 versions would be the dirt worst lol

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
smart delivery isn't the same as just buying 2 licenses for the price of 1
because here, you're just buying 2 licenses for the price of 1

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
- That's a positive IMO

How is the complete seperation of trophy lists without synching a positive? I wanna continue playing Siege on my PS5 and finish off that platinum eventually: the way it works now I'll either have to start off fresh, or continue playing it on my PS4? That's bullshit.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This was known and it doesn't really classify as "smart delivery" which is primarily just a marketing term to indicate one SKU that is forwards and backwards compatible.

Its a bit of a clunky mess trying to navigate through different versions of games right now. With multiple Skus for each game and no clear designation about what games include a next gen version. It really feels like an afterthought.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if I put the PS5 disc in my system, I can add the PS4 version to my library, or is it only possible to "upgrade" from 4 to 5?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
When submitting a build you can identify files within that package as exclusive to specific hardware profiles (ie: 4K for XSX only, or NG enhancements for XSX/XSS only). On PS5 you can't do that, you have to submit seperate SKUs, though the DLC with actual game content route might work I'm not sure. Regardless there's a limitation on PS5 that's not present on XSX/XSS where it can more easily use the same package across multiple hardware profiles (namely XB1 to XSX/XSS)

An easier way to explain it is with Physical game editions for games that support Next-Gen specific enhancements where XB1 and XSX/XSS can be the same disc (File Size limiations not withstanding) while PS4 and PS5 cannot if they include the PS5 specific enhancements since that has to be a seperate SKU

Oct 27, 2017
How is the complete seperation of trophy lists without synching a positive? I wanna continue playing Siege on my PS5 and finish off that platinum eventually: the way it works now I'll either have to start off fresh, or continue playing it on my PS4? That's bullshit.

I can basically get 2x the trophies for the price of one. That's a positive to me personally.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Odd...why would i want to play the worse version of a back compat game on the better hardware.
Yup, there's only a PS4+PS5 version in the store.

That's a recent thing. When the store initially started PS4 and PS5 versions of games were listed separately; this new 'Smart Delivery' feature is literally just Sony tidying up their online store to get rid of redundant listings.

Because of the miniscule amount of people who would actually platinum a game a second time on an inferior platform.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For Smart Delivery games, there isn't an Xbox One version of the game or a Series X|S version of the game. It's an Xbox game that you can play in both places with shared progression. It's like a PC game with cloud synced saves.
PlayStation is using different versions of the game and they are figuring out a way to transfer save data.
This isn't exactly true. There are separate versions. Just no way to get one w/o the other and the OS will try to minimize that distinction.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
That's a recent thing. When the store initially started PS4 and PS5 versions of games were listed separately; this new 'Smart Delivery' feature is literally just Sony tidying up their online store to get rid of redundant listings.

Because of the miniscule amount of people who would actually platinum a game a second time on an inferior platform.

I meant to the op. How is playing the worse ps4 version on a ps5 a positive. I really don't think getting two platinums is it.