• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
For all the talk of upgrades to PS5 version, even for digital games, it seems that's mostly not the case... what I'm seeing the most on the store is that there's only a PS4+PS5 version of each game, meaning buying one will enable you to play both. It even says so on games' pages that buying the game digitally (through the only SKU available there) will give you access to both versions, "delivering" (*wink wink*) the version you need depending on the console you're playing on.

PS: There's still the physical versions of each game for each system, but that's a positive IMO, as it avoids the problem of having to download the new consoles' version.

Pictures for reference:

valhallla.jpg

sackboy.jpg

The first line says that the SKU (the only one available) entitles you to both versions.

sackboy-text.jpg

The only difference in the end was the compatibility of the save system between versions being mandatory on Xbox, while solutions had to be devised for PS4 to PS5 transfer.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
That's not really smart delivery, as smart delivery has cross compatible saves, than can go both ways, which I know you mentioned but it's a big feature

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
The issue wasn't that Playstation 5 didn't have cross-buy, we knew it did, its that it was a much more messier implementation than Xbox with some titles supporting saves and some not.

The idea behind Smart Delivery is if you have a Smart Delivery game on Xbox One and you move to Xbox Series X|S then the game will work just as it did on Xbox One but the game version is one that's made for the native hardware, which differentiates it from Backwards Compatibility.

It was 90% marketing, sure, but the actual program was about how games would work on next-gen systems.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
The stuff with some versions only working with ultimate editions , save transfer being on a per dev policy and not a system solution it does not. It is capable of all the features of smart delivery but don't leave it to the Dev's to handle which means inconsistency's

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
That's not smart delivery. You can have two of the same game installed on your PS5 one that is the PS5 version and the other PS4. You can't do that on your Xbox.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Cross buy has been on Sony systems for a while.

Smart Delivery is a, well, smarter implimentation of it. It's not just about the game being on both platforms, but the saves, for example, just working across platforms without needing export options and the like.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Smart Delivery isn't just "you get both versions at the same time." It's Microsoft's way of branding the fact that separate versions of games are not different SKUs but a single SKU that changes itself based on what console it's inserted into/downloaded on. In practise this means saves automatically transfer and you don't have to worry about potentially downloading the wrong version onto your PS5; there also aren't separate achievement lists in the way there are for trophy lists on PS4/5 games. Essentially, Smart Delivery does not exist on Playstation even if the storefront itself displays it that way (and it s

I mean here's what my Game Library looks right now with a CoD pre-order:

GtPTzsT.png

You don't get that on Xbox because of Smart Delivery.

Honestly the sheer defensiveness surrounding Xbox's Smart Delivery has been such an annoyance this gen. We should be celebrating Smart Delivery as an indicator of a well-made and holistic eco-system on Xbox, not trying to discredit it at every turn.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Was this thread supposed to remind people how Smart Delivery is actually different?

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
So am I dumb for thinking MS is forking money to support smart delivery? Seems weird that many PS games don't come with a free upgrade and with MS buying studios and publishers to get people on board this kinda fits?

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
Smart Delivery isn't just "you get both versions at the same time." It's Microsoft's way of branding the fact that separate versions of games are not different SKUs but a single SKU that changes itself based on what console it's inserted into/downloaded on. In practise this means saves automatically transfer and you don't have to worry about potentially downloading the wrong version onto your PS5; there also aren't separate achievement lists in the way there are for trophy lists on PS4/5 games. Essentially, Smart Delivery does not exist on Playstation even if the storefront itself displays it that way (and it s

GtPTzsT.png

Honestly the sheer defensiveness surrounding Xbox's Smart Delivery has been such an annoyance this gen. We should be celebrating Smart Delivery as an indicator of a well-made and holistic eco-system on Xbox, not trying to discredit it at every turn.

actually Cold War doesn't support Smart Delivery, on xbox it looks just like that with series x/s version and xb1 version

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
IMO being able to buy a disc with the actual PS5 data instead of having to downlaod it is quite a big advantage

I disagree, both are not giving a lot of storage potential sure but many games still have the old price on xbox vs the "next gen tax" that seems to be going on.

OP
OP
Belthazar90

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
So am I dumb for thinking MS is forking money to support smart delivery? Seems weird that many PS games don't come with a free upgrade and with MS buying studios and publishers to get people on board this kinda fits?

Is there even a single game supporting smart delivery on xbox and not having a free upgrade for PS5?

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Jesus. I can't wait for this bullshit to settle down after both consoles have been out for a while. Fanboys definitely are the worst.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
more like "what the fuck is this, why isn't everything compatible and why I'm not getting one SKU that works for both consoles?"

TheNAC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
The issue wasn't that Playstation 5 didn't have cross-buy, we knew it did, its that it was a much more messier implementation than Xbox with some titles supporting saves and some not.

The idea behind Smart Delivery is if you have a Smart Delivery game on Xbox One and you move to Xbox Series X|S then the game will work just as it did on Xbox One but the game version is one that's made for the native hardware, which differentiates it from Backwards Compatibility.

It was 90% marketing, sure, but the actual program was about how games would work on next-gen systems.

While the Xbox version is awesome and makes it easier it is nice having the option of playing the PS4 version on the PS5 as well.

Unless you can play the Xbox One version on Xbox Series and I am mistaken.

OP
OP
Belthazar90

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
more like "what the fuck is this, why isn't everything compatible and why I'm not getting one SKU that works for both consoles?"

There''s only one SKU in the PS store that will be compatible with both consoles, downloading the desired one accordingly... how is taht any different beyond save compatibility?

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Does smart delivery have separate achievement lists? I actually love that cross buy does have two lists of trophies personally. Anyway, overall they aren't the same thing, similar yes.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

GtPTzsT.png

Hear, hear.

OP
OP
Belthazar90

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
This isn't true for all PS5 cross-buy games. Many are treated as separate versions with separate trophies and installs and everything.

This is also not true for all Xbox Series S/X games, smart-delivery is not mandatory. Some games like cold war operate exactly like that on both for example.

Oct 25, 2017

GtPTzsT.png

Your screenshot of Call of Duty is going to be exactly like that on Xbox because Call of Duty is not a cross-buy game and it does not use Xbox smart delivery.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Dirt 5 on PS4 gives you both versions but it's not smart about it. If you put the PS4 disc in it installs and patches the PS4 version to be playable on the PS5. You have to manually find the box that has "free upgrade to PS5" and then after that it'll download another 46GB and your PS4 saves no longer work.