• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i really don't think the meaning behind the puzzle is that deep or obtuse and, even worse, i don't think it's particularly interesting

i don't hate infinite (though i haven't played it since launch), but people always trying to find hidden depth or just assuming people didn't get it is tiring. it's possible to get it and still not like it

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, we got it. It was just poorly done, which could be said of the game overall.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Wait a minute... that card...

The card is a silly meme, that's not what people are actually criticizing when they say the story is terrible.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Just posting to say that Infinite was a pretty good game, with a unique atmosphere, that simply went overhype for many people.

Oct 26, 2017
The main thing about the alternate timeline stuff is... what does it add?

"There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man!"... You've only made two games and you purposefully included a lighthouse and a male main character in each game. How is this deterministic, these were pretty clearly your decisions.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
But it's not a puzzle. The Leteces handed you the combination to open the door. It's like someone giving yiu a combination to a safe to open it. Are you supposed to do some brain gymnastic to enter the numbers? No. Just open the damn safe with the numbers they give you.

But you're the one doing brain gymnastics to justify why they picked 76 for the safe combination (it's the number of times Booker slipped on his way to the lighthouse of course)

Even if we assume the Luteces are painfully changing the locking mechanism of the lighthouse every new attempt like children based on the number of times booker is looping history for whatever reason, why is it three bells to begin with? Why not one, or two, or five? What if it took him more than 999 attempts to actually finish the game?

The moment you try to paint a higher meaning to something, you should be ready to accept further scrutiny over it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

"There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man!"... You've only made two games and you purposefully included a lighthouse and a male main character in each game. How is this deterministic, these were pretty clearly your decisions.
No it was important so they could show the oppressed minorities were actually just as bad as the rich white people once they gained power.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Jeez am I the only one who loves Infinite? The story is one of my top gaming stories of all time. I love whenever media does fun alternate realty shit like Infinite did.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Who in the world thought that was a puzzle? It's instructions, lol. Infinite had content cut that could have really made it something else, but I still liked it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's neither a bad puzzle nor good foreshadowing.
It's pointless foreshadowing. There is no connection to that sequence at any point in the game. I guarantee you 99,5% of the people that played through the game didn't even think off that puzzle ever again. Good foreshadowing should be something were you go "Ohhh.....OOOH!" once you connect the dots. But even if, and that's a huge if, you somehow remembered the number and put it all together you already had the EXACT same thing in the sequence with the Luteces. Like, it's the same thing. Only more obvious, more fitting and more memorable.
It feels like a relic from maybe an earlier version of the game that somehow stuck around.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The card is just a forshadowing that you're starting your next run. This foreshadowing gets repeated in the game like 6 times?
You gotta be really dense or missed most of the game to view that as some kind of puzzle.

May 25, 2019
London
Jeez am I the only one who loves Infinite? The story is one of my top gaming stories of all time. I love whenever media does fun alternate realty shit like Infinite did.

You're not alone. I really don't get why shitting on it is a past time for so many people. It's a fun story about a multiverse. It's like Blake Crouch's Dark Matter - it's not hard sci-fi, it's just supposed to be a ride

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

they probably blew their load with it but if Irrational hadn't shuttered i'm guessing there'd be like 3 or five bioshock games with some variation on that

they were setting it up as their own final fantasy - sequels free of direct contingencies, just some loose mythos to follow. but Infinite didn't sell 10x more than it did or whatever 2k wanted

Oct 26, 2017
they probably blew their load with it but if Irrational hadn't shuttered i'm guessing there'd be like 3 or five bioshock games with some variation on that

they were setting it up as their own final fantasy - sequels free of direct contingencies, just some loose mythos to follow. but Infinite didn't sell 10x more than it did or whatever 2k wanted

I mean, but this isn't deterministic, it's a purposeful choice.

Just seems so dumb to say "things have to be just so forever because alternate timelines!"

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

It was all meta commentary about the nature of sequels and how each one has to have certain elements or else they might as well not be in the same series.

But then Bioshock and Irrational died so none of that matters and it's only 2 men and 2 lighthouses.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Nope. One of the greatest games ever.

The Hall of Heroes level I still remember so vividly...

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
no, you are the only one who likes one of the best reviewed game of the last gen.
Between this and Dark Souls 2 I really have to wonder what was going on back at the end of last gen.

It's like reviewers scored sequels to beloved games solely on the quality of their predecessors without realizing the new game was a disaster.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
This makes no sense. Why would the code to access Columbia match the number of attempts? That would mean the code would need to change every time.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

Oct 26, 2017
It was all meta commentary about the nature of sequels and how each one has to have certain elements or else they might as well not be in the same series.

But then Bioshock and Irrational died so none of that matters and it's only 2 men and 2 lighthouses.

The meta commentary is not particularly insightful or interesting though. "The guy holding the gun is male and we decided that lighthouses are cool."

Would have been more interesting if they criticized themselves for putting Plasmids into the game.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Between this and Dark Souls 2 I really have to wonder what was going on back at the end of last gen.

It's like reviewers scored sequels to beloved games solely on the quality of their predecessors without realizing the new game was disaster.
or different people can have different tastes.

Plum

May 31, 2018
You're not alone. I really don't get why shitting on it is a past time for so many people. It's a fun story about a multiverse. It's like Blake Crouch's Dark Matter - it's not hard sci-fi, it's just supposed to be a ride

I think a lot of people aren't fond of this game because:
1) The game is vastly different to what was originally shown in the trailers to a point where it seems like a Final Fantasy VII Remake-tier 'reboot' went on behind the scenes'
2) Unlike the original's political themes the game uses the very real themes of racism and american exceptionalism as cheap stepping stones to explore its entirely fictional sci-fi meta tale that says very, very little about anything meaningful
3) Within what little there is of the whole race angle the game manages to give us an example of "what would happen if those scary angry black people took over!" in the form of the Vox Populi

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
A lot of people tried to find meaning that simply wasn't there. The game's story is just Twilight Zone with nihilism, the main character is supposed to be a shitbag and demonstrate that we are shitbags.
It's silly, it's a videogame story, what would you expect?

Oct 25, 2017

It also has no impact on the story of the game?
The whole idea of "you have done this 122 times before" is just like...okay? Now what? What does that do? How does that reframe the story? Like, there are no themes of repetition or people trying things and again just to arrive at the same conclusion each and every time despite doing things differently. It's just out of nowhere. And it feels like it was shoved in because of the "Would you kindly" scene which was much more a meta commentary on how players just follow objectives without thinking too much about them than some incredible in-world stuff. So I guess maybe they tried to do the same for Infinite and the message was "When you replay the game and choose different power ups it's gonna end the same"? Maybe?
I dunno

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The first 20 minutes of every bioshock games has been a very "on rails" introduction to the world. This isn't a puzzle, it's part of setting the narrative introduction to the games setting.

Plum

May 31, 2018
A lot of people tried to find meaning that simply wasn't there. The game's story is just Twilight Zone with nihilism, the main character is supposed to be a shitbag and demonstrate that we are shitbags.
It's silly, it's a videogame story, what would you expect?

I think a lot of people were expecting a story that covers themes of race and American exceptionalism with the same tact as the original did with Libertarianism.

Instead they got a story that amounts to white people running around going "man, sequels to things are crazy."

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
I think a lot of people aren't fond of this game because:
1) The game is vastly different to what was originally shown in the trailers to a point where it seems like a Final Fantasy VII Remake-tier 'reboot' went on behind the scenes'
2) Unlike the original's political themes the game uses the very real themes of racism and american exceptionalism as cheap stepping stones to explore its entirely fictional sci-fi meta tale that says very, very little about anything meaningful
3) Within what little there is of the whole race angle the game manages to give us an example of "what would happen if those scary angry black people took over!" in the form of the Vox Populi
Well said, especially points 2 and 3.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
When I finished the game, I had to take a walk for a couple of hours to take it all in. Couldn't play games afterwards for a few days. Very few other games have had that effect on me.

Wish all 3 games were remade for next-gen while keeping the ever-impressive look and aesthetics, but further polishing everything.
I felt the same.

Troy's and Courtnee's performance were incredible and the story was emotional on a level only a few games achieve. It wasn't even all the twists that were sure a nice addition and felt okay, too, but the characters' dynamic between them and the storytelling was just so compelling. Truly a great game within a great franchise.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Everything from the very beginning of the first game all the way to the end of Infinite is foreshadowing of things to come. Truly a masterclass work in narrative.
Yeah, I don't get the hate... It's really weird. When the game came out it had a really positive reception.

Then, about a year after it came out this odd hate started growing around it.

Very strange.

It's a legitimately great game.

I wonder if it's rooted in indignation surrounding the way the studio closed...

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess maybe they tried to do the same for Infinite and the message was "When you replay the game and choose different power ups it's gonna end the same"? Maybe?
I dunno
There's definitely some of that in Infinite (some of the "choices", like picking which locket design or whatever) but it never really comes together.

It doesn't help that replaying the game is a slog so why bother.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Everything from the very beginning of the first game all the way to the end of Infinite is foreshadowing of things to come. Truly a masterclass work in narrative.
When I finished the game, I had to take a walk for a couple of hours to take it all in. Couldn't play games afterwards for a few days. Very few other games have had that effect on me.
Really not sure if it's a troll or not.
Yes, it's foreshadowing. It's certainly not "a masterclass work in narrative" in any way. Both statements are true.

First game was great, second game had some really interesting narrative elements as well. Third one? It's as if the writers didn't understand what made the previous ones interesting and decided to take shortcuts everywhere. That's not masterful at all.
But hey, I'll admit that the narrative is still better than the gameplay and level design in this one (the opposite of 2).
The card is just a forshadowing that you're starting your next run. This foreshadowing gets repeated in the game like 6 times?
You gotta be really dense or missed most of the game to view that as some kind of puzzle.
Basically.
It's foreshadowing, but really badly written. Its main points are ham-fisted. NPCs and environmental storytelling are worthless compared to previous games. The characters are the main focus for obvious reasons but never really go to the point where you really care for them and if you do, it's basically inconsequential in the end.
It's storytelling for people that don't read books but want to feel like they've read a good one at its finest.

edit to clarify: it's not a bad game. It's a terribly disappointing one pushed to heights he didn't really deserve due to the time it released in and overhyped after people getting disappointed by 2.

Apr 21, 2018
I played and beat Bioshock Infinite, and I don't remember any of the puzzles or any of this. It's like I completely wiped it from my memory. It was a fun setting to explore and shoot things though. I liked it a lot more than the first Bioshock (unpopular opinion I know).

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I loved Bioshock Infinite. Was a great gaming experience for me, stayed up late finishing it and everything

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
Man I miss Elizabeth = /

DiscreteElementaryDanishswedishfarmdog-size_restricted.gif

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I think a lot of people were expecting a story that covers themes of race and American exceptionalism with the same tact as the original did with Libertarianism.

Instead they got a story about white people running around going "man, sequels to things are crazy aren't they?"
I think the first game is just as silly and cringey, but I see what you mean. The Vox Populi shit... I mean, I liked that they wanted to show how tragic every revolution ends up being but the execution was super shit now that I look back at it. It's white as fuck for sure.