• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Microsoft reviving Fable? Even if it's quite different, i'm not sure they would want to fund two fantasy RPG franchises.
They're 2 different kinds of RPGS, I see MS licking thier lips at the thought of being the home of top tier western RPGs tbh.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Whatever you're expecting to see from Obsidian is probably not overly restrained by team size or budget. They made two recently very good Bethesda style RPGs with NV and TOW and that's what they can roughly deliver.

Remember that Skyrim was made by around 100 people and Fallout 3 by 70. It's a complicated team effort which budget and time doesn't always fix. The folks at Bethesda can make a gigantic game with very little resources thanks to their tools and workflow - that's not something you can easily copy.

They can do what they want now with MS and not everyone wants to or can make "the next Skyrim".

Dec 25, 2018
personally loved oblivion more than skyrim, nonetheless, Fallout New Vegas is one of my favorite games of all time. Still gotta play the outer worlds.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Gamers: MS acquiring studios is dangerous. I hope MS gives them the creative freedom to make what they want.

Obsidian: Here's a new game we've been working on. It doesn't resemble Fallout or TOW in any way, and MS is allowing us to market it and release it.

Gamers: What the fuck is this shit?
Obsidian: Don't worry, only 13 people have been working on this. It's a very small passion project. There's still over 150 people here to work on the games we're more traditionally known for.

Gamers: This is all Obsidian makes now. They're too busy with this to make other games.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think any studio would know where to begin making something dynamic as elder scrolls/nu-fallout... and it has nothing to do with the quality of the games

if you think witcher, outer worlds, ect schooled skyrim fine. but they're completely different games at an operative level

OP
OP
ShinUltramanJ

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
It's really not. To be a Bethesda style game through and through you'd need to craft a huge open world full of dynamic events and entirely optional storylines, rich enough on its own merit that the player would be able to ignore the game's main story entirely and create their own within the framework provided. You can literally play Skyrim without ever becoming Dragonborn, and dialogue/events change to reflect that. Dragons won't ever spawn in your game. That's the extent Bethesda goes to with this - cutting out their most iconic mechanics to support freeform play if the player so chooses.

I agree. I just feel it's doable if given enough time and a big budget.

Or on the flip side maybe something with a similar feel, but a smaller scope. I mean, I'm just thrilled to think that we could possibly get an alternative to Bethesda's work.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
They've already made a better open world Fallout game than Bethesda. They can no doubt top Elder Scrolls.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I think they should make Shadowrun instead
Bioware is working on dragon age and bethesda tes 6 and pgg is making fable 4

We dont need another fantasy game like that imo

I know cdpr is making cyberpunk but the hype around that game should show how well shadowrun would do for obsidian.

Oct 25, 2017
Could Obsidian make a better Elder Scrolls title than Bethesda? After Skyrim and Oblivion, I have very little doubt about that.

Will it be the next Skyrim? No.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Actually the next Skyrim will be exclusive to Elder Scrolls Online. ;)

No seriously, there's speculation the next Chapter for 2020 (aka expansion) will be filling out the rest of Skyrim.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Could Obsidian make a better Elder Scrolls title than Bethesda? After Skyrim and Oblivion, I have very little doubt about that.

Will it be the next Skyrim? No.
Yep, I don't even like Skyrim and I think Bethesda themselves are incapable of replicating that success.
Let them make smaller scope games like TOW but please by god, let Josh Sawyer do the gameplay design.

isaaccs

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
ITT: "I want Microsoft to let Obsidian make the games that THEY want to make! No, not that! Only if what they want to make is what I want them to make!"

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
TES VI is being developed by all three BGS studios so it'll be hard to compete with that scope. The Obsidian comparisons with BGS need to end anyway. They made 1 BGS styled game and that's it. They aren't compared to BioWare constantly despite making one BioWare game too. Let them do their own thing.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
TES VI is being developed by all three BGS studios so it'll be hard to compete with that scope. The Obsidian comparisons with BGS need to end anyway. They made 1 BGS styled game and that's it. They aren't compared to BioWare constantly despite making one BioWare game too. Let them do their own thing.

let's be real, the reason people want it is for console warring. It's another bullet point for fanboys.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Not with the amount of time and resources that an Elder Scrolls games take to make, with its level of quality, scope and detail. MS bought studios like these to make punctual games for Game Pass. They aren't going to greenlight stuff that takes 5+ years to make from smaller studios, even if it has AAA ambitions.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Obsidian certainly have the talent but I'd be really surprised if they ever make another big budget single player RPG game now that they're owned by MS.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Obsidian was a hell of a buy for sure. Can't wait to see what else in the future for them (outside of what has been announced.)

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Soo... MS purchased Obsidian just to ride Bethesda's nuts the whole next gen? 😆only to get a new elder scrolls game anyway?
That is a sure fire way to push Bethesda towards the competition.

The Outer Worlds is awful.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Actually comparing them to Bioware makes a lot more sense. They made Pillars which is a spiritual sequel to Baldurs Gate. They also made Kotor 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2, both sequels to Bioware games. And they made a few standalone expansions for Neverwinter 2, too.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I all honesty, if they make a skyrim like and it's good power to them, but it's not even going to compare when alls said and done because of mods. People know their way around the creation?(gamebryo) engine and has one of, if not the largest mod following out there. You can completely customise your experience in them as stuff starts rolling out and Obsidian would need a long time to hope to poach that following in a way they can be compared.

Of course, the worry on the BGS end there is the paid mods. But it's done little to change the scene in skyrim and if they want to monetise mods by default they have to keep putting out an SDK so I'm personally not really concerned much will change on that front

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Not with the amount of time and resources that an Elder Scrolls games take to make, with its level of quality, scope and detail. MS bought studios like these to make punctual games for Game Pass. They aren't going to greenlight stuff that takes 5+ years to make from smaller studios, even if it has AAA ambitions.
You have to love Resetera spin. Not every team they bought is going to make a huge game, not every studio they bought is going to be making a small game.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they're capable, if it's something they want to do, but if they really want to be the "Skyrim killer" and match the scope and detail it would take a very, very long time to develop. Considering they just launched a game and clearly have at least one smaller project in the works. The game would be coming out like halfway through the Scarlett lifecycle.

Again, that's not to say they couldn't do it.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I don't really like the concept of exclusives. This wouldn't affect me because I've fully bought into the Xbox ecosystem, but still.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
It's definitely exciting to see what Obsidian can do with the backing and safety net MS offers them. They're capable of something great. If they want to make the 'next Skyrim', I'd be all over it.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
You have to love Resetera spin. Not every team they bought is going to make a huge game, not every studio they bought is going to be making a small game.
No you don't understand, "The Economics of Gamepass" mean every studio they bought is now dedicated to churning out small 13-person bite-sized indie-style MTX games.

This despite "The Economics of Everyone Unsubscribing From Gamepass Because It's Full Of Nothing But Small 13-person Bite-Sized Indie-Style MTX Games, Which Isn't What They Signed Up For" being, yknow, pretty obviously bad.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of this developer making the "next x game" or making a "x killer".

Obsidian should make whatever games they want and hopefully they are great.

And I hope Bethesda bounces back. I love Skyrim. I hope TESVI is good.

But... just hear me out... that game could be developed with 13 people, leaving over 180 to work on a big budget RPG. Sounds like even more money to me.

Lol at 13 people to develop that game. Try 80 of the 180, especially if they want it out in the next year.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I feel like that was something that was just slapped together so they could get something out and not leave their audience waiting year's for the next game. Seems like some idea that had been shelved for awhile (for obvious reasons) and got dusted off so they could release something. That other Ninja Theory game feels very much like it's in the same boat.
the outer worlds only just released, the didn't have to slap anything together. it's been a project a small team has been working on for awhile. i don't understand why people are trying to hard to be dismissive of it

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Fairly sure I just read a quote from the president of Obsidian who said they'd continue to developer smaller scale games even with Microsoft's backing. Maybe that'll change, but I'd be surprised if we got anything like Skyrim from them.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at 13 people to develop that game. Try 80 of the 180, especially if they want it out in the next year.

I'm just going from what Obsidian said:

Brennecke describes Grounded as a Metroidvania-like that it'll require you to craft items in order to proceed through the storyline and the gameworld, which will allegedly be "huge," despite being made by a team of only 13. Brennecke doesn't see the team getting any bigger. "I like it small and tight," he says before mentioning that most of the people working on it wear a variety of hats.

Adam Brennecke is the game director of this game.

And another tweet from Greenburg, who works for Microsoft

If you have any other information I would love to see the source.

But yea, those other 100+ developers are working on another project.

Sep 15, 2019
the outer worlds only just released, the didn't have to slap anything together. it's been a project a small team has been working on for awhile. i don't understand why people are trying to hard to be dismissive of it

Not at all being dismissive... just simply stating this doesn't seem like the set direction of the studio moving forward.

And by slapped together I mean this seems like something that wouldn't have been on the docket to release if it wasn't for the fact that Obsidian is now owned by Microsoft who is looking to fill a schedule.

As far as a I know about the Ninja Theory game they shopped it around but no publishers were interested. This has a similar feel where publishers didn't want to roll the dice on it but Microsoft doesn't mind doing so because their investment is long term and not for a single title.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going from what Obsidian said:

Brennecke describes Grounded as a Metroidvania-like that it'll require you to craft items in order to proceed through the storyline and the gameworld, which will allegedly be "huge," despite being made by a team of only 13. Brennecke doesn't see the team getting any bigger. "I like it small and tight," he says before mentioning that most of the people working on it wear a variety of hats.

Adam Brennecke is the game director of this game.

And another tweet from Greenburg, who works for Microsoft

If you have any other information I would love to see the source.

But yea, those other 100+ developers are working on another project.

My bad. I didn't know they said that. Engines and assets really are crazy nowadays to be able to do that with 13 people!

Karateka

Apologies.