• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
So The House of Fata Morgana is a well received VN that localized 4 years ago

Flash forward to few datys ago one of the main translator reveal in twitter they have a difficulty translating one line involving one character sarcastically calling male character "tsundere", the translator thinking the line not flowing naturally in english and deciding the whole new line together, "How's your fragile male ego holding up?"

In first few hour, the reaction of that tweet just well received applaud among fans and fellow translator but you all can figure the rest right? angry reaction coming from these fucker that never read the VN anyway, this was already there 4 year ago jebus.

Forcing MangaGamer and the devs making statement about the bullshit and the harassment that the translator getting

I'm surprised there's no thread about this yet

If you looking to help you can buy the game, its a amazing VN! its just returned to full price after coming off from 50% steam deal few hours ago unfortunately, but its worth the full price tbh.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly fucking insane. I spent a good 30 minutes the other day trying to figure out what new piece of media came out to set them off, only to realise it was the original release, which has a really well done localisation. They don't understand context whatsoever.

Seeing folks blow up at individual words or lines in a larger translation is just...

giphy.gif

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the third time I've seen somebody get that line entirely wrong, which is funny considering that the whole drama started with a screenshot of that bit of dialog.
I guess it is just one big game of telephone at this point.

The translated line that caused this whole kerfuffle is
Why, hello there.
How's your fragile male ego holding up?

The original tweet by the translator pointing that the line originally used the term "tsundere", in response to a screenshot of it being posted, can be found here:
twitter.com

yukino๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€โšง๏ธ๐ŸŒธ๐Ÿ”ฒ๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ”ฅ๐ŸŒปโš–๏ธ๐Ÿ‘‘๐Ÿน๐Ÿฅƒ๐Ÿฝ๐ŸŽ‹๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿ’™โš—๏ธ๐Ÿข on Twitter

โ€œfun fact: in the Japanese, Morgana is calling him a "tsundere" here, and you have NO FUCKING IDEA how many brainstorming sessions it took over several weeks to come up with this translation https://t.co/Ou22oN62p8โ€

Their subsequent explanation for why it was translated in this manner can be found here:
twitter.com

yukino๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€โšง๏ธ๐ŸŒธ๐Ÿ”ฒ๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ”ฅ๐ŸŒปโš–๏ธ๐Ÿ‘‘๐Ÿน๐Ÿฅƒ๐Ÿฝ๐ŸŽ‹๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿ’™โš—๏ธ๐Ÿข on Twitter

โ€œ1/ This tweet has gained quite a bit of traction over the last couple days, and that's brought with it some confusion as to the reason behind our decision to translate this line as we did. Explaining will require spoiling Fata Morgana somewhat, so keep that in mind as you read.โ€

And here is a discussing of the original line in Japanese:
twitter.com

rcombs @ a safe distance on Twitter

โ€œone thing that's bugged me in the fata morgana discourse is that people have been referring to "translating 'tsundere' as 'fragile male ego'", which isโ€ฆ not the case? an entire line was translated to another entire line, with context, and that simplification adds confusionโ€

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Man if these dumb fuckers are so worried about changes they should learn the fucking language.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Not played Fata or into it but, it's so ridiculous to see these man children cry over this.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
awesome to see the devs stand by the translation.
the irony of that phrase bringing out so many fragile male egos in response is just amazing.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly these people are just upset because "fragile male ego" does not properly capture the deep meaning of the Japanese word.

Should have just kept it ใƒ„ใƒณใƒ‡ใƒฌ้ฆฌ้นฟ้‡Ž้ƒŽ. That way nothing would have been lost in translation.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
No, no, it's hurting their Tsundere's

You Baka Gaijin don't understand the subtlety of the Japoinese language. There's so many words that simply don't have an English equivalent that could convey the same Emotion! Dattebayo!

Has the game ever been on sale on PSN or Switch? I've always wanted to play the game, but I'm broke and can't afford full price.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
And to think these are the same guys who complain about SJWs being 'TRIGGERED!' over wanting better representation in games.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
There's some delicious irony in the phrase they rage about being "fragile male egos"

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This whole thing's so dumb. They keep repeating "Tsundere = fragile male ego," as if there isn't heaps of context that makes it clear that isn't the case.

I also posted this in the FM OT, but it's relevant here too. The original Japanese author agrees with the translation, but chuds are either saying "Nuh uh, it's still wrong" or "The author probably doesn't understand English enough to know what it means."

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I mean this is stupid to be upset about, but could they not just keep the word "tsundere"? I feel like most people playing VNs know what that means either way. There's no good English translation for it, so the translator definitely had to come up with something if they were going to change it and this seems fine.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I mean this is stupid to be upset about, but could they not just keep the word "tsundere"? I feel like most people playing VNs know what that means either way. There's no good English translation for it, so the translator definitely had to come up with something if they were going to change it and this seems fine.

She's a medieval european peasant. Leaving "tsundere" in would make no sense at all.

laser

Feb 17, 2018
Yea, I read that yesterday and had myself a laugh. Too bad I already bought the collectors edition, otherwise I'd think about buying it.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I remember that line making me laugh. Why exactly are people upset? What are they saying? Do some people actually identify as tsundere and now feel attacked because they're assuming they're being called someone with a fragile male ego? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yelling "tsundere", like all medieval europeans did

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I remember that line making me laugh. Why exactly are people upset? What are they saying? Do some people actually identify as tsundere and now feel attacked because they're assuming they're being called someone with a fragile male ego? That's the only explanation I can think of.
They think it's some bizarre political censorship or some shit.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

There's more context around the scene than this particular word. To the point than the way the word is understood in english does not convey what the character wanted to say.

It'd also stick out horribly in a game that has otherwise no hint of "anime subtitle that need to get out 5 minutes after the episode aired"- level translation.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
Maybe this whole thing will give the game a sales boost, lol. There's literally nothing to gain for the complainers. Do they honestly think they'll change the translation?

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
If anything reading the drama on twitter wants to make me check this game out and support the creators. Wish the Switch version was out.

Oct 25, 2017
The irony of the whole situation is incredible, considering it's a bunch of losers getting their fragile ego hurt.

It's also the best VN ever made, go read it.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I mean I understand what's going on, but I just can't help but find it hillarious someone would get offended by some random line in some random game, which happens more often than you might think.

I guess I expect people to have thicker skins.

Apr 4, 2019
Huh, didn't know the original was "tsundere" - Kinda wouldn't mind mixed usage of words at times like anime subs. I thought the exchange was hilarious though.

Good on the devs for standing up for the translation.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
THe irony of the whole situation is so amazing, i love it :

unknown.png

So many tsundere, it's kawaii!

More seriously, everyone, play The House in Fata Morgana, the story is simply amazing

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really amused by the empty "I'm not gonna get the game if it has this political messaging!" threats and all the comments like it. As if this is a new game you're brigading against and not an already successful title that was localized years ago. You were never gonna get this game; you're not fooling anyone.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll just repeat my reaction from Twitter.

There's nothing that tells me I should play a VN quite like the exact crowd who are upset about this being upset about this.