• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
tumblr_pd485dDXWr1saw731o3_500.gif

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I don't get where people think anyone marketed Endgame on there being major LGBTQ rep from. At most, an interviewer asked a question and said question was answered honestly.

As someone who wasn't paying attention to any of the interviews and such, it was a pleasant surprise to see an average Joe speaking so candidly about being gay to Captain fuckin' America.

Obviously we need more gay rep, especially in big blockbusters. But I don't think the answer is to poopoo something that legitimately brings a lot in the community joy. And being happy about it doesn't mean we're accepting scraps. It means we can enjoy what's there while demanding more.

P.S. I'm pan, but do tell me how I'm apparently a fake gay for being mildly happy about something. As if the whole climax of the film isn't built on the concept of giving people bits of what they want.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get where people think anyone marketed Endgame on there being major LGBTQ rep from. At most, an interviewer asked a question and said question was answered honestly.

As someone who wasn't paying attention to any of the interviews and such, it was a pleasant surprise to see an average Joe speaking so candidly about being gay to Captain fuckin' America.

Obviously we need more gay rep, especially in big blockbusters. But I don't think the answer is to poopoo something that legitimately brings a lot in the community joy. And being happy about it doesn't mean we're accepting scraps. It means we can enjoy what's there while demanding more.

P.S. I'm pan, but do tell me how I'm apparently a fake gay for being mildly happy about something. As if the whole climax of the film isn't built on the concept of giving people bits of what they want.

Legit question, who said you're a fake gay?

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Legit question, who said you're a fake gay?
I misread fargodog's post. I thought they were saying that everyone in the LGBTQ community is angry at this, implying those who weren't aren't. Not just some. I apologise, I've been burned one too many times online by people implying I'm not actually LGBTQ because of some opinion on media, among other things.

I'll leave my post as is, however, because of my past experience.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The character wasn't implied to be gay, the revelation that he is was shown through his dialogue. So the fact that people who didn't know either didn't pay attention in the movie or haven't seen the movie.

But I encourage you to read the Deadline article, especially Joe Russo quotes if you haven't already. This wasn't meant to be an attempt to put a gay character in the main spotlights, but to show that LGBQT should be represented in an every day struggles as well.

We should always push for more representation, but to demonize people who are at least trying. What good is that going to do? As you pointed out there has been 22 MCU movies, and there haven't been any LBGQT characters. (At least not in a large role).

You know what there also haven't been? We really haven't had any asian characters until Doctor Strange came out. But now we are getting a Shang Chi movie down the line, and as an Asian man, I am very excited about that. Representation is continuesly being pushed and that's wonderful. But to attack people who also believe in the same cause you do, is counterproductive at best.

Which legacy characters in Marvel's catalog are gay? Are there actually any heavyweights that could make a positive impact, because slotting in a D-tier gay character will also be seen as lip service.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Why do assume Carol? Don't say the hair either.

Mostly because her primary relationship in Captain Marvel read as possibly romantic, especially in a period where Don't Ask Don't Tell was in effect. It Captain Marvel was a man it would just be assumed it was a romantic relationship.

As for the core subject of the thread, I don't think you can look at what is being done in comics, and television and not feel like the MCU has been tremendously behind the curve in regards to pretty much every form of representation. Taken by itself the moment in the movie is fine, and it does have value, but when compared to what they even offer with their own TV shows, it feels paltry. Maybe movie 23 is where we will get an explicit queer main character, but after 22 films it is hard not to be cynical.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Which legacy characters in Marvel's catalog are gay? Are there actually any heavyweights that could make a positive impact, because slotting in a D-tier gay character will also be seen as lip service.
Why does it have to be a heavy weight character to make positive impact? Guardians of the Galaxy we're some C-list characters that exploded in popularity. Now is probably some of the most recognizable heroes in the world because of the MCU.

Any characters can make an impact if the writing and acting is good. Doesn't really matter if they're a D-tier character or not.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Antagonizing other members over a series of posts
I hated it. It was such a nothing moment and Russo was acting like it was this important milestone of representation. I'm tired of having lgbt characters represented in media in a way that either shows them suffering a tragedy or has them appear in a "blink and you'll miss" kind of way. Unfortunately this was sort of both.

It just feels like creators don't understand why it's nothing, why seeing a grieving gay man is -so- tiring at this point. They could do more (look at the other scenes of representation in this movie). The Russo brothers have so much sway here and they chose to do barely anything.
People like you just prefer to see it your way and hold on to that bitterness. No one, not even the Russo brothers see it as a milestone in representation, no one is patting themselves on the back or saying that this is enough. But that's what you decide to see this is as.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Sad gay man is sad cliche is also sad.

Seriously, can we have actual lgbt representation in these films. Not the standard, oh she/he is gay... But their partner is dead so we don't have to show a kiss or affection or anything.

It's lipservice as usual. Like JK Rowling insisting that Harry Potter universe is super inclusive... But it's all off screen and not in the books or anything canon.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why does it have to be a heavy weight character to make positive impact? Guardians of the Galaxy we're some C-list characters that exploded in popularity. Now is probably some of the most recognizable heroes in the world because of the MCU.

Any characters can make an impact if the writing and acting is good. Doesn't really matter if they're a D-tier character or not.

Because if they don't, you wind up with a backlash, or accusation that the writers are tone deaf or are not committed to promoting genuine and compelling diversity beyond aesthetics.

This is outside my personal experience, so I'll try to tread carefully. There's nothing wrong with Marvel deciding to populate their tapestry with d-list lgbt characters, and no doubt, they're probably trying to build a few characters from the ground up. But when Marvel eventually decides to incorporate gay characters into the MCU, the question is whether any of them will be legacy characters within the comic universe. The MCU has done a pretty good job at elevating the stature of some of their lesser known characters into the pop culture stratosphere, so it's possible that they could do the same with a gay c-lister, but I think to some it wouldn't have the same level of profound effect if someone like Professor X or Storm were gay in the MCU.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my take on it as a gay man.

The fact that we're making a big deal out of this minor character is telling me being gay isn't quite normal yet.

This was a just a random small character talking about his partner, nothing more, nothing less. We don't need to make a big deal of It by being overly critical of it.

Having said that, the next phase of Marvel films definitely needs to have a few LGBT main characters.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is my take on it as a gay man.

The fact that we're making a big deal out of this minor character is telling me being gay isn't quite normal yet.

This was a just a random small character talking about his partner, nothing more, nothing less. We don't need to make a big deal of It by being overly critical of it.

Having said that, the next phase of Marvel films definitely needs to have a few LGBT main characters.
sorry to say but china did 350million in 5 days for endgame. representation will take backseat to the almighty dollar. fuck disney for even playing with china's rules.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Chalk me up as an lgbtq person who enjoyed the scene. I feel like my perspective's been highlighted in this thread already, so I won't repeat all of that.

I don't think the scene was necessarily great representation in terms of making straight people see me as more normal or anything, but it made me feel welcome and happy in that moment. Representation is about both of those things, so I hope to see more, but I'm still happy with what we got.

I think I look at this issue quite differently than the people who are upset.