• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I went to E3 last year but I probably won't be able to go this year sadly but I just looked up the badge and you could only go now for the 10th and 11, where last year the gamer badge gave you 3 day access.

Why did it get worse? I guess it makes sense for the 9th because then the industry can go in and try out the demos but like...That kind of sucks?

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Because they added a media only day.

I honestly think this is for the best.

As someone that always had an exhibitor or media badge for the last 5 years, I basically went when the doors opened and left when they let the public in. The lines were too ridiculous with the public and were super fast when it was just media. So having one day makes sense. This way we can get everything out of the way day 1 and leave and let the public have shorter lines for day 2 and 3.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Wait for them to add a VIP EXCLUSIVE pass to get all the kids inside on a press day ;)

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
The brasil game show has the media only day for years now and it works great.

All meetings and press trying games happen this day, is fast, helps hype the public to go and is easier to forge industry relationships

Surprised E3 dont have it

Oct 31, 2017
The brasil game show has the media only day for years now and it works great.

All meetings and press trying games happen this day, is fast, helps hype the public to go and is easier to forge industry relationships

Surprised E3 dont have it
E3 has been media only for years, if I remember right.
If anything is opening to the public that has been a relatively recent development.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I just don't understand why you would go to this show as a member of the public. It's comparatively expensive versus other shows (though not hideously compared to before), and the problem has always been - even before they let the public in, ever since the show shrunk and then re-grew to full convention size again - that all the really juicy stuff is appointment-only, behind-closed doors, or the lines are ridiculously long. The last couple of public years it's been painful to speak to those who feel like they've been hoodwinked: they turn up and it's a 7-hour wait to play 20 minutes of Mario Odyssey, and Cyberpunk 2077 is appointment only, etc etc.

Admittedly some companies have managed this better than others - like Square Enix had people line up at the start of the day, gave out timed tickets first-come, first-served - so you could grab a ticket at 9am that would get you on FF7 at 3pm and then go off and do something else rather than queue all day. But when I see the ESA talking about shit like "quetainment" I'm just like man, what. I've been to 11 years of E3 as industry/media, this year will be my twelfth, and I've always felt - even before it went public - it was a miserable show to go to if you didn't have appointments.

The media-only day is gonna be great for people like me, as I'll cram and try to get work done all in that day. This is helped by there being loads less at the show, too... there's less work to get done. Five years ago, you'd never get everything done in a day. Now we stand a chance. The flip side is when the lines are 7 hours long for the hottest stuff, it'd be easy for somebody on a gamer pass to go to E3 and see/play a grand total of two games.

But even then, E3 is a show that is searching for its identity and a public-friendly setup that truly works... and honestly, I would always advise people to not go until they truly find that. They're making sweeping changes this year, seemingly, but nobody knows what those changes will be in full yet... so maybe wait and see if it works, and it it does, go next year. If the money is burning a hole in your pocket there are so many other great video game and gaming culture shows you can go to that are designed for the public. Do one of those!