• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While Witcher 3 is definitely a better game, I enjoyed and liked DAI more. I should do a replay someday

Deleted member 33567

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
can't wait for more Dragon Age.

Sold DAI ages ago and never played the expansions, but currently cheap as chips on PSN. Tempting to dive back in

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
While Witcher 3 is definitely a better game, I enjoyed and liked DAI more. I should do a replay someday
I agree. I think making my own character is a huge part of what I love about RPGs, and having to play a pre-made character is always less fun for me. I also prefer party-based games vs. solo. I think that's why I liked DAI more than TW3, even though TW3 has better writing/quests.

can't wait for more Dragon Age.

Sold DAI ages ago and never played the expansions, but currently cheap as chips on PSN. Tempting to dive back in
The Trespasser DLC is amazing. It's required, IMO, as it is "the real ending" and sets up DA4.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I think making my own character is a huge part of what I love about RPGs, and having to play a pre-made character is always less fun for me. I also prefer party-based games vs. solo. I think that's why I liked DAI more than TW3, even though TW3 has better writing/quests.
Party banter is the best part of DA, just dealing with a group of people from different backgrounds

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Yeah, my wife and I immediately said "DRAGON AGE" as soon as those popped up in the conference. Excited to get more info down the road.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
Dragon age 1 was a beautiful concept. I didn't really give it the attention it deserved. Might try to change that.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Rocket League seemed a lot closer to what the series has become. Maybe it is set in the same universe and this is some sort of other character based shooter.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Yup. Inquisition was the first thing I thought of. I want nothing to do with this franchise anymore if they are going to follow in DA:I's footsteps.

I think developers can be forgiven if they follow in the footsteps of a game that won them a ton of Game of the Year awards from major outlets, and also was one of their fastest-selling games ever...

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
Difficult for me to get excited about a BioWare game in 2020. Their last good game was a decade ago.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
There is nothing there that identifies it as Dragon Age other than fanboy thirst.

Nothing besides the color palette and architecture being very similar to DAI, and all the red lyrium prominently shown in the one image, of course.

And many members of the Dragon Age team prominently sharing it.

And us knowing that they are working on DA4.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
My wishlist for DA4:
  • Lesbian qunari mage party member
  • I can kick Solas's ass
  • No more bullshit "grey morality" tho given it's gonna be set in Tevinter I am absolutely bracing for some both sides-ing of slavery

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
What do you want me to say, it's weak. The fact that they didn't even identify as Dragon Age on stream despite all the Bioware fan thirst is telling.
So the fact they didn't need to identify it as Dragon Age for the fans to immediately recognize it as Dragon Age means DA has " little aesthetic value"? I don't understand your argument.

May 19, 2020
So the fact they didn't need to identify it as Dragon Age for the fans to immediately recognize it as Dragon Age means DA has " little aesthetic value"? I don't understand your argument.
Two separate thoughts, hear me out. First, it's a proof of concept that is very generic looking and is not officially identified. None of these choices are accidental. Not identifying it officially despite the fan thirst makes it seem like they don't have confidence in it. Could change, clearly it's too early to say.

Second, I personally think it's weak and that Dragon Age never had amazing art design in the first place. My mind didn't go to Dragon Age when they showed it. If this was some stealth advertisement I don't think it works. We sorted now?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Two separate thoughts, hear me out. First, it's a proof of concept that is very generic looking and is not officially identified. None of these choices are accidental. Not identifying it officially despite the fan thirst makes it seem like they don't have confidence in it. Could change, clearly it's too early to say.

Second, I personally think it's weak and that Dragon Age never had amazing art design in the first place. My mind didn't go to Dragon Age when they showed it. If this was some stealth advertisement I don't think it works. We sorted now?

In other words, you're ignorant of Dragon Age artstyle and aesthetic and because you're ignorant you didn't recognize it as Dragon Age therefore it is "weak."

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018

That's quite the reach if this is your take from a couple of images.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That right there is red lyrium, yes.

Yup.

dragonage.fandom.com

Red lyrium

For the location of primeval red lyrium nodes in Dragon Age: Inquisition, see Seeing Red. Red lyrium is a more potent and addictive form of raw lyrium. Red lyrium is typically found in crystalline form, as with normal lyrium. It is known to thin the Veil, allowing spirits or more likely demons...

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
EA isn't exactly overflowing with high fantasy games, so DA was kind of the obvious answer even if you don't know much about it.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
That this is the same team that worked on Inquisition dismays me, but I guess it's not unsurprising.

I hope they fix a lot of the terrible stuff in that game in this new iteration, even if their overall vision is still not what I would have wanted for the series, the world and characters and stories deserve a better game than inquisition.

The art design was top notch in inquisition though, and it looks like they're bringing that over for sure.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Just looks like generic dark fantasy imagery to me. Perhaps this speaks to how little aesthetic value Dragon Age has.

It's funny because the first thing I thought seeing those images was: "this has very little personality, so it's probably the new Dragon Age". And indeed, the lack of aesthetic identity is a main problem in that series, in all three games. Of course, saying the next game will also have this problem because of three pictures is beyond any level of absurd and it's not what I'm doing. Only that I believe Dragon Age is a generic looking fantasy universe, and this picture fit right in with that.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
screenshot_20200619-1mmj1a.jpg
=
dragon-age-2-mark-of-the-assassin-key-art.jpg.adapt.crop191x100.628p.jpg
?

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Can't wait despite knowing they are going to both sides the fuck out of slavery, or have the main character be a house slave or something.

Can't have Bioware's Whedonesque quips and have a slave main character, it's not going to work.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Totally. Red lyrium plus some vibes from Tresspasser. Got me really excited.

inquisition is peak modern BioWare to me and I'm really excited they are continuing from that momentum, the game was gorgeous with some of the best world building and I'm ready for more

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait despite knowing they are going to both sides the fuck out of slavery, or have the main character be a house slave or something.

Can't have Bioware's Whedonesque quips and have a slave main character, it's not going to work.

Either that or we're gonna have a party member who's a pro-slavery slave. You know, for balance. Ughghghghghgh

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda announced Elder Scrolls VI with next to nothing. I'm sure Bioware could get away with that too considering how DA stans are.

They already did that at the TGAs a little ways back. The exact same way too- with a quick pre-rendered teaser.

After following Patrick Weekes on Twitter I'm pretty sure I would fall over dead they "both sides" slavery.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Where's the idea they are going to both side slavery coming from? They've always portrayed it as a bad thing even if they have had characters that tried to downplay it (Dorian before he grew the fuck up and stopped downplaying it - but he defo had to change his views and now seems to be trying to change Tevinter from within). They will both side Tevinter and the Qunari as a whole because both of those factions do really fucked up things and there is no true "good guy" between them without them changing some fundamental things but they don't treat slavery as grey.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I really hope they improve in DA4 is animations. Inquisition was janky as FUCK. From facial expressions to body movement, everything looked really stiff and unnatural and sometimes downright goofy.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I really hope they improve in DA4 is animations. Inquisition was janky as FUCK. From facial expressions to body movement, everything looked really stiff and unnatural and sometimes downright goofy.
Wasn't DAI the first non-FPS built on Frostbite? That they had to do so much extra work because the engine just wasn't built for the kind of game they were making?

I still think that's a huge misstep by EA, trying to force every game in every genre to use the same engine.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the idea they are going to both side slavery coming from? They've always portrayed it as a bad thing even if they have had characters that tried to downplay it (Dorian before he grew the fuck up and stopped downplaying it - but he defo had to change his views and now seems to be trying to change Tevinter from within). They will both side Tevinter and the Qunari as a whole because both of those factions do really fucked up things and there is no true "good guy" between them without them changing some fundamental things but they don't treat slavery as grey.

Probably because Inquisition especially already both-sides the fuck out of things that really aren't morally grey or ambiguous at all. "Maybe the elves deserve to be oppressed", #notalltemplars, shit like that.