• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strifel

Oct 13, 2021
Try the superior animal game. Untitled Goose Game.

untitled-goose-game-honk.gif
You can't be serious, this game is about 10x worse.

OP
OP
CabooseMSG

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
I mean if never watched a trailer of the game or even looked at any of the reviews besides the score at the end, you would know what sort of game it was before going in.
I definitely did, for example VG247 said it's a game that touched them for a lifetime. There are plenty scores out there that speak similarly. But the gameplay is a glorified walking sim and the story is nearly non-existent. The "platforming" is looking at a ledge and pressing a button, the puzzles are incredibly rote, the story is mediocre vague sci-fi

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
It reminds me of Little Nightmares with its` Limbo-esque gameplay. Sure, such games are not super challenging or deep gameplay-wise, but they often have a somewhat captivating atmosphere and shine in terms of worldbuiling. So does Stray.
I understand why someone would find it boring, but I personally enjoy it quite a bit. And its` graphics are good, the lighting in particular is pretty impressive, imo.

Last edited:

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'm enjoying it. Presentation is top notch and helps create a strong atmosphere. Unique concept and interesting ways it gets players to interact with the world in order to progress. Environmental story telling is tremendous. Playing as a cat is delightful as well. I can understand it's not for everyone though, but I'm glad to play it. It's just so refreshing and maybe that's what's reflected in the praise along with it's other strengths.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
I don't know how far you got, but the story only really starts in The Slums chapter. It's a walking sim, it looks pretty cool, and it's cute, it's just short enough so it doesn't overstay it's welcome, although it gets kinda stale towards the end.

A great PS+ Extra game, but I wouldn't buy it for the asking price of 30+ euro in some (mine) regions.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Ain't anything boring about being a cat.

Source: My cat can confirm this

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The game is almost entirely elevated by its music, atmosphere, art direction, and density of its city. Boy, does it really get those aspects right, though.

The best moments for me are the ones where you're just able to snoop around apartments as a cat and admire the clutter of objects and wallpapers. The chase sequences are tedious, stealth ranging from just OK to annoying, and there's no real challenge to any of the puzzles nor does it capitalize on being able to do any of them in a way that rewards curiosity nor promote lateral thinking like Untitled Goose Game.

Some of the story is pretty interesting, though ultimately it gets a tiny bit heavy-handed and some beats serve as nothing more than uninteresting ways to move the plot along. I still enjoyed the smaller moments and seeing how the robots go about their regular business. I also have to add how charming it is to see the robots' faces change when you brush up against them or mew.

It's a cute game that's dripping with atmosphere and has a very well-realized, dense, gorgeous city to admire. It's not great or anything, but it's a nice enough journey to immerse yourself in, and yes, you get to be a cat, even if it may sometimes feel like you're hunting for button prompts all the time or pressing _insert button_ to do cute cat thing.

I came away thinking it was about a 7/10 game, but I don't regret playing it. I thought the second half was better if you do decide to stick with it.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
I'm glad this games on PS+ Extra because lemme tell you. If I spent even a single dollar on this game I'd be livid xD... I'm glad others enjoy though, its just not for me and thats okay

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly kind of confused by all the people going "it's a walking sim/visual novel" because, like, I've played walking sims that asked you to do far less than Stray does? What Remains of Edith Finch, Gone Home, Firewatch, etc. all involve essentially no gameplay, certainly none of the more puzzle-y/action gameplay in Stray.

And yeah, nothing about the coverage I saw of the game before its release feels like false advertising in retrospect; the trailers suggested it would be an adventure game set in a vaguely cyberpunk works inhabited by robots where you play as a cat. Surprise: it's an adventure game set in a vaguely cyberpunk works inhabited by robots where you play as a cat.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Is this a new trend to ignore OT's? Is op's opinion so much mor important than everyone elses that it deserves it's own thread?

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
I'm honestly kind of confused by all the people going "it's a walking sim/visual novel" because, like, I've played walking sims that asked you to do far less than Stray does? What Remains of Edith Finch, Gone Home, Firewatch, etc. all involve essentially no gameplay, certainly none of the more puzzle-y/action gameplay in Stray.

And yeah, nothing about the coverage I saw of the game before its release feels like false advertising in retrospect; the trailers suggested it would be an adventure game set in a vaguely cyberpunk works inhabited by robots where you play as a cat. Surprise: it's an adventure game set in a vaguely cyberpunk works inhabited by robots where you play as a cat.
It's kinda both a walking sim and a puzzle, but I don't think any of the puzzles hard enough to be the main point of it. You are primarily a cat walking in the city, so I'd classify it under a walking sim.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I definitely did, for example VG247 said it's a game that touched them for a lifetime. There are plenty scores out there that speak similarly. But the gameplay is a glorified walking sim and the story is nearly non-existent. The "platforming" is looking at a ledge and pressing a button, the puzzles are incredibly rote, the story is mediocre vague sci-fi

none of what you said is news if you read any reviews, the game is simple and easy going, which is part of the appeal for many, it's such a tired old meme to call things "walking sim" and automatically think of that as a bad thing.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's my second favourite game released this year so far. It's short sweet game, one amazing atmosphere with a unique concept. I don't think the gameplay simplicity detracts when it really plays and controls well for what it set out to achieve. By the end of the experience, I wanted more. Graphically I'm really impressed given this was an indie title as well, I was frequently taking screenshots how pretty it was.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, it's nonsense, it's like calling Inside a walking sim. People just really gotta rag on [popular_thing] for some reason.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, people tend to over-use the term walking sim, imo. It`s a puzzle platformer similar to Limbo, Inside and Little Nightmares, but in 3D.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
This is the game for cat owners to be able to do all the shit their cats did to annoy them, but now they can do it to poor innocent robots

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's an OT.

www.resetera.com

STRAY |OT| CYBERPAWNK OT

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1332010/Stray/ Platform(s): PC (Steam), PSPSPSPSPSPS (Playstation Extra and PlayStation Extra) Demo: No Release Date: July 19th 2022 Unlocks in 2022-07-19 17:00:00 Europe/London on Steam, in 2022-07-19 09:00:00 Europe/London on PS Genre: Cyberpunk, cat...

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
I'm OP, I'm going to make a thread about a popular game using an inflammatory thread title to rile people up when I can just post my criticisms in he OT.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, I don't consider "walking sim" a negative term. I think it's evolved past that into it's own subgenre.

Its a negative connotation because simulated walking is almost as mundane sounding and reductive as "paint drying simulator". Obviously most of those deemed walking simulators are doing more than simulating walking.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine not to like something, but this reeks of attention seeking and baiting people for responses. Not cool.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I find it more relaxing than boring. It was a nice game to chill out to after work.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Nah it's a pretty decent Sci-Fi adventure game / cat sim, with some light puzzle's and platforming.

You are playing the wrong game if you are expecting a fast paced action game or something more intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.