• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are we getting a remake of FF9?

• Yes

Votes: 347 46.5%
  • No

Votes: 399 53.5%

• Total voters

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So there was that Nvidia leak a couple of weeks ago. Shitton of games in it, some weird stuff as well, which means that we shouldn't take everything in it for granted. But after today... I don't know man.

There was a bunch of Square games on it, including Final Fantasy IX Remake, which caught everyone's eyes. Surely that would be a bogus entry. Square isn't going to remake FF9. FF7 is the only game that can get that treatment, etc. etc.

However, there was another entry in that list that read "Actraiser Renaissance". And now, today, that game was announced and released.

Add to that the news that FF9 is getting a TV show:
www.gameinformer.com

Final Fantasy 9 Is Getting An Animated TV Series

Final Fantasy 9 was cute as heck, so we're okay with this announcement.

And from the Direct as well, Steiner, Vivi and an Alexandria stage from the Choboco GP kart racing game:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Like, I don't want to engineer my own disappointment later, but I don't want to believe in coïncidences for this. Square has ignored FF9 for years, then all of a sudden, they start making an FF9 TV show, put some FF9 material in Chocobo GP and have the trailer focus on it, and then there's that Nvidia leak.

Is it really happening? Will FF9 Remake be unveiled some time in the next 12 months?

EDIT: I forgot to mention the remix of the FF9 musical theme that was featured in the Chocobo GP trailer from the Direct.

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
It could very well have been the re release from a while back. That said the Actraiser release and a few other from that leak releasing or being announced in the last two weeks or so certainly give it credibility. So sure, why not.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I do not think I would be able to contain myself if any sort of FF9 remake/remaster occurred.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I keep getting FF9 videos recommended to me from the Japanese Square-Enix account. Like official promos out of nowhere. Maybe they're doing a subtle marketing push to get it back into peoples' minds before a reveal.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
they just rereleased it a couple years ago. i doubt it.
Didn't they do the same with FF7/8? And FF7 remake still happened.

I mean, it probably won't be a complete overhaul reimagining like FF7Remake but I could see them using FF9 remake as a way to bring FF turn-based combat into modern era by learning from other franchises like Octopath and Bravely. Couple it with voice acting, animation and graphical overhaul but keeping the general same controls and it wouldn't be too difficult. Especially since it's a very stylized world compared to the more realistic and therefore expensive offerings from squenix lately.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Actraiser caught my eye as well.

On FF9, Square's always been big on their cross media projects, so maybe. I mean, the whole reason we could even get a TWEWY sequel was because of the anime.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they do the same with FF7/8? And FF7 remake still happened.

I mean, it probably won't be a complete overhaul reimagining like FF7Remake but I could see them using FF9 remake as a way to bring FF turn-based combat into modern era by learning from other franchises like Octopath and Bravely
people were begging for a ff7 remake for a decade before hand since that ps3 tech demo tho. square fucked up by planting the seed

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
That was my first thought actually. With the FF9 cartoon it'd make sense they;d try to push FF9. Like the FF equivalent of what they're doing with Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai.

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on the team that EVERYTHING on there is real as it gets, yes, there is outdated stuff that's probably isn't what it is anymore but we're simply seeing to many things come to fruition (fuck who could believe that Actraiser of all things would get a remake/remaster???) and genius Ubisoft goes and DMCAd the data miner just giving even more credit to it.
The only thing i know is that BOI things are coming.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If it is, it'll probably be a Trials of Mana style remake rather than like FF7R. Though theres probably FF9 in Chocobo GP because the Chocobo games have shared staff with FF9.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I buy it. It seems like they're trying to somewhat consistently release something FF-related every year. You need more than just the VII Remake parts and FFXIV xpacs to keep that up though. Those dev cycles are long and there's no way around that. Something like an FFIX remake in the style of Trials of Mana seems like good "filler". A re-release, but in a form we haven't seen before and for a game that isn't exactly overexposed to start with.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I would love that but wasn't VIII more successful than IX? I'm not sure why they would skip 8 and focus on 9

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I am not expecting a full remake, but a remaster akin to what FF VIII got. Unless it's not a remake in the vein of FF VII.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
If it is, it'll probably be a Trials of Mana style remake rather than like FF7R. Though theres probably FF9 in Chocobo GP because the Chocobo games have shared staff with FF9.

Yup, my thoughts.

FF7R is high budget and it fits the universe more with realism. FF9 is more cartoon fantasy, could be redone for pennies on the dollar with a Trials of Mana budget and do it justice.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I've said this in multiple threads but here goes again.

Chances of us getting a full AAA remake of FFIX are slim to none.

However the NVidia leak also had ActRaiser Remake, which turned out to be a Remaster (SE called it a remaster in the trailer) for mobile and consoles. I think a new Remaster of FFIX for mobile and consoles could happen. Partly because mobile is SEs number one platform for small scale remakes and remasters, and FFIX has been off the App Store, broken, since May. So it kind of makes sense a new remaster for mobile could happen.

Oh and to anyone thinking they just did an FFIX remaster. Well in addition to that being broken on iOS as mentioned above, it also came out nearly six years ago.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix have their plate full. Final Fantasy 16, Dragon Quest, FF7 Part 2... if they are going to remake 9 we sure as hell arent going to see it anytime soon.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I am not expecting a full remake, but a remaster akin to what FF VIII got. Unless it's not a remake in the vein of FF VII.
Even though it's not called a "Remaster", the existing modern version of FFIX is every bit as much of one as VIII's. Which honestly just means updated character models + added boosters. In fact, IX undoubtedly had more work done on it since they built that port from scratch, unlike VIII which had an old PC port.

IX is as close to perfect as it can be with Moguri Mod. Really only way to improve it would be if Squeenix is able to dig up the original, high resolution renders for the pre-rendered backgrounds. I suppose a Trials of Mana style remake could work if they don't butcher the artstyle and atmosphere.

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
I think it is true. Games from the leak repeat to confirm. Today was ActRaiser.

The question is ''when''.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd take a full remaster with HQ backgrounds redone character models etc

I don't want what they did to ff7r. Not talking about episodic. Wouldn't bother me. The other shit though, no thanks

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
So this is in addition to the next big single-player Final Fantasy, the ongoing commitment to an online MMO Final Fantasy, and the existing serialized remake of another 1990s Final Fantasy with spinoffs?

Well, I wouldn't do it, but if there is a company that I would expect to bite off more than they can chew, after painfully learning not to over the course of the last decade, it would be Square-Enix.

(this is talking about a full remake only, I could imagine a remaster-type thing that they could charge people another twenty-five bucks for)

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
what i want to know is whether or not FFT remaster and Tactics Ogre remaster are real most of all because they seem more likely

FF9 Remake is a whole other event by itself and I feel like this is the type of game that would be mostly outsourced rather than a FF7 type remake

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a decent chance. And I'd actually prefer it to be more quaint than FF7R. Having the fidelity of Bravely Default 2 would be more than enough to make me happy.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
I think so, I could see a small outsourced remake to release within the show's timeframe.

what i want to know is whether or not FFT remaster and Tactics Ogre remaster are real most of all because they seem more likely

FF9 Remake is a whole other event by itself and I feel like this is the type of game that would be mostly outsourced rather than a FF7 type remake
Tactics Ogre is too out there for a NVIDIA employee to be making assumptions on future projects. I'd wager it,FFT and Chrono Cross are all real.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
FFIX already had that to be honest. In fact FFIXs remaster was better than VIIIs.

I thought the FFIX phone version ported to everything else wasn't much of a remaster as it was a cash grab.

FFVIII remaster looks better in my opinion, but unfortunatly suffered with the lack of analogue and the crap world textures off the top of my head.

Also the boosters were pretty consistent between FFVII and FFVIIIR's implementation. FFIX was the off man out.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't wanna hope cause I don't wanna be let down. IX is pretty certainly my favorite single player FF, and the idea of it getting a remake would make me very happy.

Bravely style as Dark Knight said would be perfect imo.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Given how slow the development has been on 7R, I doubt it.

if they did do it, I have no idea what teams they even have available to handle it.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh I mean with Moguri Mod existing, there's nothing a remake could deliver that I can't get from that. Square today would only fill it with bloat and add weird NPCs that look like poster models for haircuts at cheapo barbershops.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine using the AI upscaled backgrounds, new character models with hight poly count, better implementation of boosters, I can't wait to see whatever this is.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I thought the FFIX phone version ported to everything else wasn't much of a remaster as it was a cash grab.

FFVIII remaster looks better in my opinion, but unfortunatly suffered with the lack of analogue and the crap world textures off the top of my head.

Also the boosters were pretty consistent between FFVII and FFVIIIR's implementation. FFIX was the off man out.
Nope the FFIX remaster was pretty high quality as far as ports go. Unlike VIII they were able to import better backgrounds (not MUCH better, but better), as well as improved FMVs just like FFVIII, they also had new character models, but it also had a new UI built from scratch. It did also have boosters like VIII. Slightly different boosters but boosters nonetheless. The main benefit was that they ported it to Unity, which meant modders were able to do the Moguri mods.

But yeah I agree all three ports of VII-IX were pretty meh. Looking forward to what this may or may not be.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
All this time I've been bitter than FF7R isn't just a super enhanced, semi-isometric, from-the-ground up singular game … and I never stopped to consider the possibility of that happening for IX instead. I genuinely think I'd cry if that happened for IX.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Maybe another HD remaster, something like the recent Legend of Mana/SaGa Frontier rereleases. Otherwise Square has their hands full. A possible but extremely unlikely option is a Trials of Mana-style remake. I think FF9 is too important for that.