• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This is awkward in hindsight. I have a feeling people think he's joking but to me it seems like he was very serious.

NineTailSage

Jan 26, 2020
Hidden Leaf
Maybe he's just an angry man. That happens to be black? He's built off of Mr T who, is a beloved character created by a black man. Edit: I admired those qualities about Mr T! It's cool to be angry about things that matter!

Black men can be passionate about things without it being racist right?

Also I noticed the op just said actual black civil rights activists don't act that way. Can we look back at the black panthers that protected their neighborhoods with literal firearms while daring the police to step out of line? They stood on street corners ready to recite their rights as American citizens into the faces of pigs that would challenge them on their skin color alone.

Angry black man is a trope, I get that. But angry activist black men? Fuck yes. Very cool.

The major problem I have with portraying black characters like this in videogames and almost every time you see a black male character is for the average person that doesn't have a black associate or close friend, this maybe the only way to which they get their information on black culture. Lets face it, the media portrayal of black men as super aggressive are one of the major reasons we continue to see them being shot unarmed at an alarming rate by cops.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he's just an angry man. That happens to be black? He's built off of Mr T who, is a beloved character created by a black man. Edit: I admired those qualities about Mr T! It's cool to be angry about things that matter!

Black men can be passionate about things without it being racist right?

Also I noticed the op just said actual black civil rights activists don't act that way. Can we look back at the black panthers that protected their neighborhoods with literal firearms while daring the police to step out of line? They stood on street corners ready to recite their rights as American citizens into the faces of pigs that would challenge them on their skin color alone.

Angry black man is a trope, I get that. But angry activist black men? Fuck yes. Very cool.
He's not built off Mr T though.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah my problem with Tifa isn't the fact she cries, it's the weird shakes head tilts she keeps doing and hand movements that I never see actual women do but that keeps doing round Cloud. They come across to me as very unnatural and odd.

It's a Japanese acting/motion capture thing. Game mo-cap in Japanese is done the same way Super Sentai(Power Rangers) and Kamen Rider is done. It's very likely in SE's case its done separate from the general movements in recorded scenes so the body language is dialed up. In shows like SS and KR, where the actor's face is obscured, the overly animated gestures are how emotion is being conveyed. It's a bit more complicated than that but you can see the comparison in there. Also very likely its to show how "girly and appealing Tifa is in contrast to her combat prowess" or some other precanned nonsense that would come out of an explanation from a game company haha.

It's really prominent in JRPG particularly where anime influences on gender movements is prevalent.

Look, if everyone in Corel speaks like Barrett, I will shut the fuck up and tip my hat.

If everyone else in Corel is localized to be speaking regular American English like those in Midgar, "we have a problem Houston."

Surely they have the foresight to know that would be a problem......

RIGHT!?

I'm pretty shocked people are mentioning Corel as possibly being a whole town of Barret style speakers. Like when has ANY game had that much effort put into it. I really don't think anyone would be crazy enough to put eggs in that basket.

Like you said though. I'd tip my hat and shut up if they did something that impressive and insightful.

I will say though. I have a hard time blaming "Japanese game devs" for voice and translation work. Localization teams and third parties job is to handle stuff this stuff and convince them something is or isnt ok.

Last edited:

J75

Sep 29, 2018
It's a J-pop thing. Tifa's body language is that of a J-pop idol.

But I think it was their way of appealing to the youth or so I would guess.

It's a bit incongruous with her English VA where she sounds so cool and mature.
Yeah, this whole idol matter isms was a problem with FF15 too, especially with Gladio's sister. Really off putting especially with the dub engaged, doesn't match at all. I think Square should've realized that not every youth, especially the ones outside of Japan playing the game are gonna find this cute idol thing appealing.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Read interviews about how John Eric Bentley intended to play him. There's a clear understanding of what Mr. T represented and how Bentley wanted to pay homage to him while avoiding any kind of stereotyping. I've spoken with him several times and he's always expressed this.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this whole idol matter isms was a problem with FF15 too, especially with Gladio's sister. Really off putting especially with the dub engaged, doesn't match at all. I think Square should've realized that not every youth, especially the ones outside of Japan playing the game are gonna find this cute idol thing appealing.

Considering the success of the games and how wide the fan base of those girls are, I think they're pretty spot on ...

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read interviews about how John Eric Bentley intended to play him. There's a clear understanding of what Mr. T represented and how Bentley wanted to pay homage to him while avoiding any kind of stereotyping. I've spoken with him several times and he's always expressed this.
I havent read many interviews or seen any videos but I can respect his acting choices. I'm critical of Barretts portrayal but there are times where he absolutely shines, even when he leans into Barrets blackness. I just hope some of it is toned down in the next releases.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like that train scene is just bad for instance. There's no need to depict him like a walking stereotype like that, and him having a character arc pr whatever in no way justifies that.

He can have a great character arc, and be a wonderful character overall, and scenes like that can be terrible racist garbage. Both these things can be true.

Wish more people would realize that. That it's fine to enjoy problematic characters and all that, to see all kinds of good and fascinating parts to then, as long as you also realize the bad parts are definitely bad as well. That you can in fact do both, but people get too hung up on like if you apply any criticism at all, that means you must not like anything at all.

No. You can give praise where it's do, AND also critique when needed as well. And unfortunately in regards to this thread's topic, yeah, there's much to love in term of his character arc or whatever, but that in no way justifies the racist garbage that goes along with it which in no way needed to be there.

That shouldn't be hard, but alas...

Aight. Fucking no. Fucking dont do this shit. Fucking stop.

That entire scene is framed in an entirely racist and problematic. You have the extremely ripped tatted up black guy with a gun for an arm barging in on the conversation of a bunch of a bunch of well spoken suited white people. Then when he calls himseld a law abiding citizen the white women actively implies he couldnt be a law abiding citizen because of how he looks. Then they have him standing over them actively intimidating them while he preaches violence and vigilantism in pursuit of the bigger goal. (He's right but that's not the fucking point, its the framing of the entire scene) They respond with they wont be swayed by the violence and intimidation coming from the black mans words. He stands over them agaim actively intimidating them. Then he says "them fighting words" which is again, framed as intimidation. Then the well to do law abiding white people leave the car because they are afraid of the strapped up angry violent black man who just intimidated them.

That's what the fuck the scene shows. We are not "looking" for shit. It's fucking obvious to anyone with common sense how problematic this entire scene is from the dialogue, to the framing, to the interactions and body language to the societal power dynamics. Like if you see nothing wrong with this scene, I seriously dont see how you can take part in a discussion about racial portrayal.
You don't have to change the emotions, but there are other ways to express them.

Let's go back to the train scene. The Shinra employees in that scene are not trying to provoke Barrett or engage him at first. He is the one who engages them after overhearing what they're saying. He engages them by speaking loudly, walking over to where they are, facing them, and adding a lot of range to his voice. He is seeking open confrontation and butting into their private conversation in a way where they cannot ignore him. If he said the same initial lines, but without moving over to face them, and spoke them in a more even tone, he would still be angry and passionate about Avalanche, but not a guy trying to start fights on the subway with strangers (while he is wanted by the law).

If Barrett intimidated them after the one employee expressed surprise that he was a law abiding citizen by just narrowing his eyes and leaning forward slightly instead of stepping forward and growling, he would still seem angry and intimidating without being over-the-top. If he called Shinra "your masters" instead of "y'all's mastas", he would still be loud and angry. If he just sat down hard instead of kicking the bench first he would still be loud and angry. But he would be less of a stereotype.

It's not as simple as making a single change, and I think a lot of the reason Barrett seems so stereotypical is that the decisions around voice direction and animation go very cartoony with many of the characters, and when that's applied to Barrett it feeds into the stereotype. If you make people behave more like people, they seem less like tropes.
Great posts who anyone who doesn't get it absolutely need to read, IMO.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I also was kinda upset at how people reacted to big scary Barret with gun for arm but literally everyone and their mother was amazed at twink carrying large deadly blade

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017

This is awkward in hindsight. I have a feeling people think he's joking but to me it seems like he was very serious.

I never felt he joked about serious things. Mr.T was very thoughtful and insightful and more to the point of this topic, didn't yell that often.

The issue with Barrrett is that, this isn't a black persons' idea of what a black person sounds like. Quite evidently. It's an issue of scripting and voice direction so returning to "his arc is so good though" is irrelevant. Why does he sound like this and have these wild, manic, mannerisms? Nothing about how this character acts is unique interpretation either.

It's not the worst thing in the world but, come on, man. Do better.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I feel bad for the voice actor. The voice direction is terrible for Barett, so many laughable moments when they're supposed to be some serious statement.

wasa-b

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Kamurocho
I will get banned for this, which is baffling considering that this is supposed to be an inclusive community. I've stumbled upon the link to this thread elsewhere, so probably that qualifies as "drive-by posting".

I understand how this might feel, the trope is prevalent in numerous works. I concur that Barret may feel like a generic representation of "angry/scary black man". What I do not understand is the consent for reducing him to mere trope. I have not played remake, because I refuse to participate in blatant milking of one of my favorite games, but I guess in the original, the argument still holds.

Even in the link to tvtropes, the thumbnail shows Jules from Pulp Fiction. Assuming this is an accurate example of the trope, Barret's character complexity is way beyond Jules and it feels unfair to keep the same ramifications for assessing his character. He's angry for a valid reason; everyone should be as angry as he was - given the situation Midgar was in. At many times Barret is just as angry about the situation as he is about people not being angry about Shinra. He loves his daughter and he wants her to thrive in a beautiful, pristine world. Yet today, he's just an "angry black guy with a gun". He's just Mr T, who breaks shit.

I'm assuming most people here are leaning left, many perhaps are activists. I can also safely guess that a lot of you care about environment. How many times were you reduced to a "whacko nutjob" - because you cared about something passionately? Dismissed and reduced to a "femi/eco/gay-nazi"?

People who say: "I don't care, I like him" and get banned in the aftermath, are correct. They don't care about Barret's race or gender, but what he represents. Isn't that what everyone here would like? To not be profiled? To not be labeled? To not be reduced to a bloody tv trope?

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I will get banned for this, which is baffling considering that this is supposed to be an inclusive community. I've stumbled upon the link to this thread elsewhere, so probably that qualifies as "drive-by posting".

I understand how this might feel, the trope is prevalent in numerous works. I concur that Barret may feel like a generic representation of "angry/scary black man". What I do not understand is the consent for reducing him to mere trope. I have not played remake, because I refuse to participate in blatant milking of one of my favorite games, but I guess in the original, the argument still holds.

Even in the link to tvtropes, the thumbnail shows Jules from Pulp Fiction. Assuming this is an accurate example of the trope, Barret's character complexity is way beyond Jules and it feels unfair to keep the same ramifications for assessing his character. He's angry for a valid reason; everyone should be as angry as he was - given the situation Midgar was in. At many times Barret is just as angry about the situation as he is about people not being angry about Shinra. He loves his daughter and he wants her to thrive in a beautiful, pristine world. Yet today, he's just an "angry black guy with a gun". He's just Mr T, who breaks shit.

I'm assuming most people here are leaning left, many perhaps are activists. I can also safely guess that a lot of you care about environment. How many times were you reduced to a "whacko nutjob" - because you cared about something passionately? Dismissed and reduced to a "femi/eco/gay-nazi"?

People who say: "I don't care, I like him" and get banned in the aftermath, are correct. They don't care about Barret's race or gender, but what he represents. Isn't that what everyone here would like? To not be profiled? To not be labeled? To not be reduced to a bloody tv trope?

Barrett isn't a person.

I think the issue is going over your head. This isn't about his character at all.

This is a thread wherein a black person complained that the only black character is portrayed in stereotypical, jive-talking style when modern SE took creative license to make a number of changes to the original game. Mr T, who the character is loosely based on, is far more witty, thoughtful and eloquent than one would expect until you actually listened to him talk at length. Anyone with exposure to him would know this with the amount of community outreach and PSAs he's done over the years.

No one talks like Barrett. How he talks and is framed is based in caricature and stereotypes. There was 20 years worth of insight to improve and there wasn't any. It's not even about policing, there are many non-black writers who can write black characters well. Where they fail in their understanding, they can either 1. consult directly or 2. interact with people and develop understanding. This character is what happens when neither is done.

I'm not immensely bothered about it to the point where I couldn't play the game. If however, someone else couldn't shrug it off, I wouldn't blame them.

Your passion is misplaced and I don't think many would say he's a bad character (I don't think he is). How he is portrayed is in effect lazy and mildly insulting.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

The reason people get banned is because they are being dismissive of the issue raised instead of attempting to understand it.

As others have rightly said, just because Barret is "more than his anger", just because he does pan out to be more thoughtful and insightful and caring, etc... that doesn't remove the lazy, racist trope they used to frame him with. They could very easily have shown his anger and growth without him sounds like this trope, and this thread wouldn't exist.

Can you understand this? That just because there is growth it doesn't remove the fact it his character is wrapped in the trope?

wasa-b

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Kamurocho
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns regarding racial stereotypes, account in junior phase
Can you understand this?

Wow. So everyone needs to be sensitive about OPs feelings about Barrett to the point of being banned if they just say they don't see an issue, but patronizing shit like this is fine? No, I do not have mental capacity to get on your level of omnipotence.

No one talks like Barrett
I have not heard Barrett in remake. In he original, I don't see anything out of ordinary. I swear just as much as he does and all "nuthin'-s" et al. don't seem that exaggerated if we look at 90s popular culture and representation of Afro Americans therein.

Tropes don't exist in vacuum. Otherwise you could simplify any work of art in 3-4 tags. You can handle the trope, add depth to it, or non superficial notions. Which is what is done in Final Fantasy and not in Pulp Fiction or A Team. Could they have handled it better and be less obvious about it? Yeah. Does it invalidate everything else about a character? No.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. So everyone needs to be sensitive about OPs feelings about Barrett to the point of being banned if they just say they don't see an issue, but patronizing shit like this is fine?
I was honestly asking you. That was not patronizing. It's quite dishonest to take that single sentence from my post when the post in its entirity clearly shows I was asking you fairly.

Do you really not see how it doesn't matter how his character pans out when the character is wrapped in the racist trope still?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Wow. So everyone needs to be sensitive about OPs feelings about Barrett to the point of being banned if they just say they don't see an issue, but patronizing shit like this is fine?

People need to stop saying, "I don't care about this, so it's not a problem".

There's a difference between disagreeing and presenting and argument that's counter what the OP is saying and just blowing off the whole thing because you think it's fine.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Wow. So everyone needs to be sensitive about OPs feelings about Barrett to the point of being banned if they just say they don't see an issue, but patronizing shit like this is fine? No, I do not have mental capacity to get on your level of omnipotence.

I have not heard Barrett in remake. In he original, I don't see anything out of ordinary. I swear just as much as he does and all "nuthin'-s" et al. don't seem that exaggerated if we look at 90s popular culture and representation of Afro Americans therein.

Tropes don't exist in vacuum. Otherwise you could simplify any work of art in 3-4 tags. You can handle the trope, add depth to it, or non superficial notions. Which is what is done in Final Fantasy and not in Pulp Fiction or A Team. Could they have handled it better and be less obvious about it? Yeah. Does it invalidate everything else about a character? No.
Wait, you haven't actually heard Barrett in the remake but you still felt the need to come into the thread and say it isn't a problem? How can that not be anything but disengenious?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
My initial impression was the same as the OP's. I softened on him a bit as the game progressed, but he is absolutely fashioned after the Mr. T archetype. I played in Japanese after playing the demo in English and I don't think the Japanese VA is much better. My guy fucking screams.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you haven't actually heard Barrett in the remake but you still felt the need to come into the thread and say it isn't a problem? How can that not be anything but disengenious?
That they tooka single line from my post to immediately play the victim probably tells us they are not acting in good faith.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
As a black man, I have no problems with how Barrett is portrayed, though, whenever I say this I get immediately attacked as an "Uncle Tom" or something which is ironic. I think the pendulum has swayed to being overly conscious about being that big black man since, as a kid, that was the caricature we looked up to and some still resent that since we all don't have that in us or want to be that in order to be "accepted" by white people. Also, this country, US, has been getting more angry at people who get "buff" for some reason stereotyping them in a way. That all being said, I still really like Barrett's character and don't even see it as being racist, but here's the obligatory, you do you.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a bright idea. If you haven't played the Remake or heard Barrett in it at length and with context, perhaps lay off the post reply button.

Here's another: if you don't see the problematic depiction and caricature OG Barrett was, just know, that says a lot about you.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
They could very easily have shown his anger and growth without him sounds like this trope, and this thread wouldn't exist.
I've not read the whole thread, so maybe someone already gave good examples. Could you give any example of how they could have portrayed his anger better, if you have any ideas?

My 2c. I'm not American, my understanding of American (and other countries') racial issues are surface-level at best. I've played only the demo (I've not played the original either). To me Barrett immediately stood out as a caricature.
In the simplest terms, it's not that he was angry. It's how his anger was portrayed. Like a joke, like an exaggeration.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've not ready the whole thread, so maybe someone already gave good examples. Could you give any example of how they could have portrayed his anger better, if you have any ideas?

My 2c. I'm not American, my understanding of American (and other countries') racial issues are surface-level at best. I've played only the demo (I've not played the original either). To me Barrett immediately stood out as a caricature.
In the simplest terms, it's not that he was angry. It's how his anger was portrayed. Like a joke, like an exaggeration.
From what I gather listening to some black folk discuss this, it's the accent and kind of comedic OTT nature of it.

The big angry black dude with the Mr T/Tropic Thunder caricature accent is a big thing here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I've not ready the whole thread, so maybe someone already gave good examples. Could you give any example of how they could have portrayed his anger better, if you have any ideas?

But not leaning into traditional boogieman tactics that are constantly used against black people in order to make Barrett seem tough and extreme.

Like that train scene is straight up white people pearl clutching at the sign of the scary black man, the same shit white supremacists cite every time they go into diatribes about why black people are dangerous and should be feared.

It isn't hard to make a black person with complicated motives and desires seem intense without making them a stereotype.

I'd, again, point back to Orlando Jones' Anasi from American Gods to describe how you can do an angry black character without dropping into tired racial stereotypes.

wasa-b

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Kamurocho
That they tooka single line from my post to immediately play the victim probably tells us they are not acting in good faith.
The thread says that SE had a chance to fix Barrett, so it's obvious that the implication is he was already problematic to begin with? WTF?

Also I'm not playing a victim, I couldn't care less, the double standard about what we should be sensitive about was striking though.

Also nobody bothered to reply about tropes not being in a vacuum, focusing like always on a post count, like this is something thatis supposed to define me unworthy of conversation.

This is actually a great topic to see, that being sensitive about acts of racism, bigotry etc. - which is something great about the place - is contrasted with almost totalitarian approach to conversations and superficial measures of credibility.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The thread says that SE had a chance to fix Barrett, so it's obvious that the implication is he was already problematic to begin with? WTF?

Also I'm not playing a victim, I couldn't care less, the double standard about what we should be sensitive about was striking though.

Also nobody bothered to reply about tropes not being in a vacuum, focusing like always on a post count, like this is something thatis supposed to define me unworthy of conversation.

This is actually a great topic to see, that being sensitive about acts of racism, bigotry etc. - which is something great about the place - is contrasted with almost totalitarian approach to conversations and superficial measures of credibility.
Nothing about my request and questions for you were the way you described, and you absolutely are playing the victim here.

Go back and respond to my honest request, please:

The reason people get banned is because they are being dismissive of the issue raised instead of attempting to understand it.

As others have rightly said, just because Barret is "more than his anger", just because he does pan out to be more thoughtful and insightful and caring, etc... that doesn't remove the lazy, racist trope they used to frame him with. They could very easily have shown his anger and growth without him sounds like this trope, and this thread wouldn't exist.

Can you understand this? That just because there is growth it doesn't remove the fact it his character is wrapped in the trope?

Oct 25, 2017

Are you saying that the OG Barrett isn't problematic?

Even the defenders of FF7R Barrett aren't willing to die on that dumb of a hill.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I mean, yes.

The Barrett from the 97 version of the game is a bumbling oaffish trope that comes across as a joke for half the time he's on screen. Again, for those in the cheap seats, he's just another Mr. T joke and the only thing original about him his is backstory. For what it's worth, the remake does a lot of work in pulling back on that A LOT. Make no mistake, Barrett in FF7r is worlds better than he was 20 years ago, but that's not to say he's perfect and that's not to say that there isn't a lot of problematic stuff left over or created in order to magnify what's supposed be pure intensity.

Like, make no mistake, Barret, Dyne and Cid are all terrible racial stereotypes and FF7r is going to have to put in work to make them acceptable. And it seems like they're going to try.

wasa-b

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Kamurocho
Are you saying that the OG Barrett isn't problematic?
No. I actually started my first post in this thread saying exactly opposite thing.
Go back and respond to my honest request, please:
I don't see the request in it, honestly.

Basically, if we conclude that he is stereotypical and offensive to Afro Americans then I can't imagine any fix other than basically writing and modeling him from scratch. You remove slang, mannerisms. Then what? How do you tone down an anger of a fictional character who loses everything because of Shinra. How do you show a working class underdog without him being openly hostile towards elites? I'm sad to see that this portrayal is offensive to black people. That's it. I can understand it, yes. The only thing I can say, is that being a teenager when FFVII came out, I personally never had a moment when I projected a single negative feeling onto black people when interacting with in-game Barrett.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No. I actually started my first post in this thread saying exactly opposite thing.

I don't see the request in it, honestly.

Basically, if we conclude that he is stereotypical and offensive to Afro Americans then I can't imagine any fix other than basically writing and modeling him from scratch. You remove slang, mannerisms. Then what? How do you tone down an anger of a fictional character who loses everything because of Shinra. How do you show a working class underdog without him being openly hostile towards elites? I'm sad to see that this portrayal is offensive to black people. That's it. I can understand it, yes. The only thing I can say, is that being a teenager when FFVII came out, I personally never had a moment when I projected a single negative feeling onto black people when interacting with in-game Barrett.
The request is clear... so again I can't see how you are possibly arguing in good faith here by saying you cannot see my very visible request ro consider a perspective and then a direct question based on that request.

And if you read the thread it has been explained by people who have an issue here ways in which they feel it could be dealt with.

Please read the thread to find what you are asking for.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You quoted my reply, where I clearly say that I understand that perspective and I'm sad to hear people are offended.

And no, I still don't see any post that postulates the "proper fix". That aside, I can't think of how am I supposedly acting in bad faith.
If you can't see how your initial approach and defensive stances were unproductive and the fact you ignored salient points to focus on that leading to people questioning your intent, I can't really make my opinion on that much clearer. Let's leave it.

The solution would be a simple one, the accent and design of Barret's anger is very in-line with the Mr-T style caricatures like Tropic Thunder that almost have comedic tone to them. They could very easily have avoided those and still shown his anger.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm... We have clearly not played the same game?

I guess one can say that everyone deals with trauma differently, but it's a bit peculiar that Barrett is made fun for his approach with dealing with situations. Even in the original, he's depicted as a so-so leader for being loud, and a clown despite himself. His claim as a leader is quickly dismissed by the super white, virginal and pure Aerith. I mean it's a bit problematic.

I'm glad they removed the part where Aerith's mom tells him he is a terrible father in the OG.
You take him as being funny from the first t
I was honestly asking you. That was not patronizing. It's quite dishonest to take that single sentence from my post when the post in its entirity clearly shows I was asking you fairly.

Do you really not see how it doesn't matter how his character pans out when the character is wrapped in the racist trope still?
As a black man, I genuinely did not see a racist trope in Barret. I intervened earlier in the thread to say a bit the same, but I guess it is up to each and everyone's personal backgrounds and experiences in life that make you feel like "this is racism" or "this is not racism".
I am conscious that among this thread, many do recognise in the character a racist trope in a scary and angry black man. I actually don't. The character could have been portrayed differently, however what strikes me out of the 10+ hours I have put in the game so far (just past that boss in reactor 5) is that Barret is the only one who holds the truth, since the beginning. Undeniable, cold, blatant truth.
The man is the only sane dude in a square mile. And yes, I can understand the anger, I can understand the passion and I would have probably gone as angry as him would I have been in his shoes.
Now what I want to see is how they will give us more on his background and how he became the way he is, as I feel there is more to the character than just what is shown there, similarly to a half mute main character who seems high on drug with hallucinations for the first 5 hours of the game :-)

Once again I understand that some of us can see racism, and I truly feel that it depends on the personal experiences and background of everyone I guess. I would just like for everyone to be a bit more open minded and accept that likewise some of us may not see racism here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You take him as being funny from the first t

As a black man, I genuinely did not see a racist trope in Barret. I intervened earlier in the thread to say a bit the same, but I guess it is up to each and everyone's personal backgrounds and experiences in life that make you feel like "this is racism" or "this is not racism".
I am conscious that among this thread, many do recognise in the character a racist trope in a scary and angry black man. I actually don't. The character could have been portrayed differently, however what strikes me out of the 10+ hours I have put in the game so far (just past that boss in reactor 5) is that Barret is the only one who holds the truth, since the beginning. Undeniable, cold, blatant truth.
The man is the only sane dude in a square mile. And yes, I can understand the anger, I can understand the passion and I would have probably gone as angry as him would I have been in his shoes.
Now what I want to see is how they will give us more on his background and how he became the way he is, as I feel there is more to the character than just what is shown there, similarly to a half mute main character who seems high on drug with hallucinations for the first 5 hours of the game :-)

Once again I understand that some of us can see racism, and I truly feel that it depends on the personal experiences and background of everyone I guess. I would just like for everyone to be a bit more open minded and accept that likewise some of us may not see racism here.
Yep, I think you nailed it. No one is saying everyone has to see the issue here or they are wrong - especially other black people who we need to listen to also - but I think we should try to understand the black people who do have an issue and listen to why.

Same thing happens to myself with LGBTQ folk. I don't always share all of the concerns that other bi and non-binary folk have, and shouldn't be expected to (not a monolith), but it would be wrong of me to ignore their concerns just because they are not my own, and it would be wrong of people outside of these groups to point at the fact I don't share the concerns to dismiss them.

Sep 7, 2018
From playing the demo I could see that probably not much has changed with Barrett this time around and that's disappointing, but not surprising. It seems like we're most likely only going to get good representation from a black owned studio, but that's still not a thing yet soo, but it seems we're more likely to get better representation from Western studios.

I mean, yes.

The Barrett from the 97 version of the game is a bumbling oaffish trope that comes across as a joke for half the time he's on screen. Again, for those in the cheap seats, he's just another Mr. T joke and the only thing original about him his is backstory. For what it's worth, the remake does a lot of work in pulling back on that A LOT. Make no mistake, Barrett in FF7r is worlds better than he was 20 years ago, but that's not to say he's perfect and that's not to say that there isn't a lot of problematic stuff left over or created in order to magnify what's supposed be pure intensity.

Like, make no mistake, Barret, Dyne and Cid are all terrible racial stereotypes and FF7r is going to have to put in work to make them acceptable. And it seems like they're going to try.
How are Dyne and Cid racial stereotypes? I barely remember Dyne outside of that scene in the amusement park, but since Dyne and Cid are both white so the traits they might share with Barrett have a different context and history with them I don't see an argument for them being racial stereotypes.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

Alright so lemme preface this with the fact that you 100% came to this thread from some other forum on some other site complaining about this thread so I have no doubt you are here completely on bad faith. But I will waste my time and explain the short and simple to you anyway.

Nobody talks like Barret. That is by 90's standards AND any 2020 standards a insanely outdated model of slang that has been greatly exaggerated by blaxploitation films. It's not an accurate representation on how black people talk.

The above is a fact, if you do not accept that then don't bother reading on.

Alright? So now you understand that Barret is an inaccurate model of black people. You could say he is a STEREOTYPE. Understanding that you also have to consider that Barret talks this way

- In a futuristic city
- Nobody else talks like he does
- He is one of the only black people in the game

When you combine all these things together what you get is a character who was made to sound like a caricature of black people based on media not representative of reality solely because he is a large black man evident by the fact that he is out of place vocally.

Add the fact that this could very well be the only black person in a JRPG we see for like 10 years and can you understand why this instance is an issue for people?

uhhhh but what's the solution bro?
Well there's several solutions, posted in this thread if you read it (which you didn't) but one of those solutions would be to INCLUDE A WIDER VARIETY OF POC CHARACTERS SO THAT THE ONE CARICATURE DOES NOT DO AS MUCH DAMAGE.

Believe it or not the jive talkin sucka foo Barret could in fact exist in an innocuous context but he would have to NOT be the sole representative of black people in his story. As of now though; he is. The only black rep in Final Fantasy VII has to be a caricature. One with a good arc but one nonetheless.

Again, this was a waste of time. I'm sure you're just here to get yourself banned so you can run back to whatever hole you crawled from to show all your friends "WHOA LOOK HOW I GOT BANNED FROM ERA! SOME INCLUSIVE PLACE HUH?" but hey I just woke up so whatever.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Alright so lemme preface this with the fact that you 100% came to this thread from some other forum on some other site complaining about this thread so I have no doubt you are here completely on bad faith. But I will waste my time and explain the short and simple to you anyway.

Nobody talks like Barret. That is by 90's standards AND any 2020 standards a insanely outdated model of slang that has been greatly exaggerated by blaxploitation films. It's not an accurate representation on how black people talk.

The above is a fact, if you do not accept that then don't bother reading on.

Alright? So now you understand that Barret is an inaccurate model of black people. You could say he is a STEREOTYPE. Understanding that you also have to consider that Barret talks this way

- In a futuristic city
- Nobody else talks like he does
- He is one of the only black people in the game

When you combine all these things together what you get is a character who was made to sound like a caricature of black people based on media not representative of reality solely because he is a large black man evident by the fact that he is out of place vocally.

Add the fact that this could very well be the only black person in a JRPG we see for like 10 years and can you understand why this instance is an issue for people?

Well there's several solutions, posted in this thread if you read it (which you didn't) but one of those solutions would be to INCLUDE A WIDER VARIETY OF POC CHARACTERS SO THAT THE ONE CARICATURE DOES NOT DO AS MUCH DAMAGE.

Believe it or not the jive talkin sucka foo Barret could in fact exist in an innocuous context but he would have to NOT be the sole representative of black people in his story. As of now though; he is. The only black rep in Final Fantasy VII has to be a caricature. One with a good arc but one nonetheless.

Again, this was a waste of time. I'm sure you're just here to get yourself banned so you can run back to whatever hole you crawled from to show all your friends "WHOA LOOK HOW I GOT BANNED FROM ERA! SOME INCLUSIVE PLACE HUH?" but hey I just woke up so whatever.
Heh, pretty much.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
How are Dyne and Cid racial stereotypes? I barely remember Dyne outside of that scene in the amusement park, but since Dyne and Cid are both white so the traits they might share with Barrett have a different context and history with them I don't see an argument for them being racial stereotypes.

Cid is the stereotypical white shitty husband who "beats" his "wife". He is literally the figure that every sad country song is about. Replace "truck" with "Rocket" and you literally have the antagonist of 70% of all country music.

Dyne is the closed off xenophobic "THOSE PEOPLE" stereotype that reinforces tradition and rejects change at all fronts. The only real difference his role plays compared to what this trope is traditionally used for is that he's right because Shinra is comically evil.

You know, now that I think about it, Wutai is gonna have to be handled with kid gloves too. I have faith that they can do it though, after how good the Wallmarket scene was, they definitely have people with their head on straight when it comes to scenario writers.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
While I loved Barrett and his Mr. T impersonation as a teen and still like him, it's gotten old. When we have more interesting characters of color now and FFVI Machinabridged's take on him, Square has no excuse for sticking to clichés.

OP
OP
Chief Malik
Funny thing is, I know for a FACT that the whites defending this shit be the first ones to piss they pants and say chill out when black folks get tired of they shit and start moving guerilla and militant for real. I've been laughing at these niggas "shits fucked up, it's justified" for the past 24 hours.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Where are you from? I noticed it's always non Americans that get shocked see the way black people speak
To be fair, what you're referring to as "the way black people speak" is very much a North American thing, from my experience. I myself am black (50% Fula, 25% Pashtun, 25% Caucasian) and grew up surrounded by others and there isn't really a "way we talk" elsewhere. At least going from my experiences growing up mainly in Portugal, Italy, Brasil and the UK there isn't really a specific "way in which we talk" regarding common language outside of like rap scene youngsters like there seems to be in NA. Though we do have a language of our own we often times use amongst ourselves here in Portugal (crioulo).