• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OhMoveOver

Oct 5, 2018
It is obvious that Barrett is offensive to many . It doesn't matter if you like the character , or think he is funny or the best character in the game . He is offensive .

Personally speaking I've been bothered by an obviously different but similar issue , that in the role of gay characters in games. I still remember the pain I had playing Enchanted Arms as a kid still coming to terms with my sexuality and being confronted with such an offensive caricature of a gay man in the character of Makoto. At the time my friends told me he was "funny" .

It's not hard to step back for a minute and just say "I don't have a stake in this , let the people this affects tell me why it is wrong and how I can help".

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
This is highly open to interpretation, but playing the game in Japanese gave me a really different impression of Barrett's character.

He's got kind of a... washed up middle aged guy trying desperately to make himself seem cool factor that I'm not sure is well-represented in the dub. If I could have my infinite control over time and space druthers, I would have arranged it so that somehow someone like John Witherspoon would be able to provide his dub voice (or alternately, that would be the direction given to the existing voice actor). There's a lot of exasperation and panic and just general charisma breaks all over the character that I think help sell him as less of a generic action hero type. I only played the area covered in the demo with the dub on, but what was there didn't give me the impression that they were balancing the character's localized writing in that way.

And when I say balance, that's really what it is because the individual beats are the same, they just have different texture. A specific example would be when Cloud says "WELL MAYBE PEOPLE SHOULD JUST MOVE OUT OF THE SLUMS IF IT SUCKS SO BAD." The dub response has an air of "You're ignorant about the reality of the situation" whereas the Japanese has more of a feeling "For god's sake stop trying to show off how tough you are and show some empathy."

So is it questionable writing itself, or questionable localization? Either way, at least there's a black guy in it, which is more than I can say for every other big JRPG series, more than a handful of western ones, and the other 97% of the FF games

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia

I really like this and share your overall feeling here.

I'm not going to pretend like there aren't a LOT of poorly written or stereotypical portrayals of black characters, amongst many other cultures and identities being minimized or boxed in, but it's important to view things in the most humanistic and kind way we can.

In this way, I feel like it actually is a little disingenuous to complain about Barret being 'angry' or 'tough'. Like, if that was ALL he was, that would be pretty shit I agree. But he's so much more than that, he's someone who is in deep pain about the situation around him, and he's guided ultimately by love, and acts with strength and loyalty and passion. Is he not allowed to be angry because he's black? Again, he's so much more than that, and I hope we don't straddle the wrong part of the line, intending to defend against racism, but instead further putting limits on what black characters are allowed to be.

I think context is important and in the story he had all the right to be angry at Shinra for basically destroying his life. A better fit for a stereotype would be if he was a violent thug or always angry for no real reason.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I'm not going to pretend like there aren't a LOT of poorly written or stereotypical portrayals of black characters, amongst many other cultures and identities being minimized or boxed in, but it's important to view things in the most humanistic and kind way we can.

In this way, I feel like it actually is a little disingenuous to complain about Barret being 'angry' or 'tough'. Like, if that was ALL he was, that would be pretty shit I agree. But he's so much more than that, he's someone who is in deep pain about the situation around him, and he's guided ultimately by love, and acts with strength and loyalty and passion. Is he not allowed to be angry because he's black? Again, he's so much more than that, and I hope we don't straddle the wrong part of the line, intending to defend against racism, but instead further putting limits on what black characters are allowed to be.

I feel like when it comes to Japanese media, black people are only allowed to be one thing. Large, angry, obstinate demi hulks who can't see reason. Barrett is no exception.

I feel like the only time Black People have good representation in media is when Shinichirō Watanabe is involved.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
So does that mean we should make him more like Mr T, or completly different from how he was previously? Mr T's hairstyle was never a point of contention for me personally, however his portrayal of many gold chains and jewlerry was. I do not see an excess amount of this on Barret, infact none at all. There's nothing wrong with having characters inspired by others, but the difference is in how you portray them. If anything still comparing him to Mr T now feels an insult. Mr T was an black insert character known for referring to himself in speech and for being loud, Barret is an inspired design but other than being loud (which can be stereotyping depending on how it's portrayed), really does not share anything else in terms of personality, and has significantly more depth than anything Mr T ever did.

If no one cares about him being upset, why does he still have a team of people resolute to his cause, despite the severe concequences of it? There's not one point in the game where people worry he's being too extremist bar Tifa, who later learns the real extent of what Shinra is and can do after seeing their actions for herself. Passion is being mistakened for racism in this thread. Every character in the game has an element of stereotyping about themselves, but this is not racism. He regards himself as a leader, he exuberates confidence in order for others to not be concerned, but there are many moments in the game where you see inner-weakness. His accent I will leave til Corel Prison to determine whether the stereotyping is significant, but I think calling Barrets portrayal as racism is a disservice. We really should be talking about stereotyping in videogames instead, not mixing the two.
I didn't mean in the story, I meant the people discussing him. I person discussing him dont have an issue that he's upset. He should be, I am given how relatable and relevant his cause is. It's about how he conducts himself is the issue

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It really sucks because I think Barret is the best character in Remake, and honestly is probably my favorite character in the original. Its 2020 and Japanese developers still treat black folk like a complete stereotype. Like damn, watch an informative youtube video or something.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can see how he could be interpreted as racial stereotype but I've never seen it that way. I've always considered Barrett a passionate guy who's overwhelmed with the feeling of having the weight of the world on his shoulders. He wants to help everyone but doesn't feel like his actions make any difference...huge heart....I always interpreted his anger the result of this constant struggle within himself to want to help people while at the same time feeling helpless.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
People on this site and outside of it want to treat FF7 like Song Of The South with an "Its a product of its time" defense for stereotypical caricature depictions and sexualized outfits.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually see a lot of parallels between barret and Cid the more I think about it. Cid is a hell of a lot more abusive and potentially problematic though, I think. I wonder how they'll handle him.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

You can be multiple things and still be problematic my guy. The idea that in a game filled with people, humans the main cast conists of people. The only one that has to play to a stereotype is the black one , whether he ends up having depth or not is still and issue and indicates underlying assumptions the people making the media have about black people.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Saying Barret doesn't fall into racist stereotypes because he's an interesting character with a good arc is like saying some female character with giant boobs and a thigh gap isn't a sexist portrayal because she gets to have a personality with some depth. These traits aren't mutually exclusive.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Saying Barret doesn't fall into racist stereotypes because he's an interesting character with a good arc is like saying some female character with giant boobs and a thigh gap isn't a sexist portrayal because she gets to have a personality with some depth.

"It's not problematic because I like it" is a common theme around here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I actually see a lot of parallels between barret and Cid the more I think about it. Cid is a hell of a lot more abusive and potentially problematic though, I think. I wonder how they'll handle him.
Cid doesn't need changing, he just needs a more nuanced transition to his redemption arc, rather than him going from a complete asshole to being redeemed in a single scene towards the end with no buildup to it. Obviously the increased amount of story bits here would help flesh him out more, but I ultimately think he should still be the same, but he should earn his redemption. Having a hopefully unrelatable character who isn't likeable is fine, they just need to put more effort into justifying why he becomes a good guy towards the later parts.

Jesb

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns of racism
Why is this an issue. There are many stereotypes portrayed in games.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Cid doesn't need changing, he just needs a more nuanced transition to his redemption arc, rather than him going from a complete asshole to being redeemed in a single scene towards the end with no buildup to it. Obviously the increased amount of story bits here would help flesh him out more, but I ultimately think he should still be the same, but he should earn his redemption. Having a hopefully unrelatable character who isn't likeable is fine, they just need to put more effort into justifying why he becomes a good guy towards the later parts.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the characters who "beats" his "wife".

Village

Oct 25, 2017
"It's not problematic because I like it" is a common theme around here.
Its weird. Because I feel like if you can aknowledge something is bad and still like it because you feel like its better qualities shine through. That tends to speak strongly of the work. Not all the time, sometimes people like awful problematic shit and be like " nah its fine" . But in instances like these ff7 is a great game, and barret has some neat stuff in it. He's also runs into stereotype territory and that probably needs to be talked about. And maybe a greater discussion of square enix's depictions of black folks in general

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Saying Barret doesn't fall into racist stereotypes because he's an interesting character with a good arc is like saying some female character with giant boobs and a thigh gap isn't a sexist portrayal because she gets to have a personality with some depth. These traits aren't mutually exclusive.
I think one of the big differences here is that Barret's backstory explains why he's angry (which is the stereotype) while female characters personality and depth have little to do with how they look. I'm not saying the former isn't problematic since it obviously offends people, but at the same time Barret is someone I relate to more than anyone else in the game. Barret's anger is basically how I feel when talking to conservatives. I wont personally get into shouting matches on the train with them, but I'm certainly screaming at them in my head.

I look at it as Barret being angry and he has every right to be, like I am when it comes to very very similar real world situations. I feel like when people can really relate to a stereotype (in a good way) they simply don't see it as a problem. However it never hurts for those people to look at it from another viewpoint and try to understand why it's offensive to others.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see how he could be interpreted as racial stereotype but I've never seen it that way. I've always considered Barrett a passionate guy who's overwhelmed with the feeling of having the weight of the world on his shoulders. He wants to help everyone but doesn't feel like his actions make any difference...huge heart....I always interpreted his anger the result of this constant struggle within himself to want to help people while at the same time feeling helpless.
I agree with you, but the execution is still off. I love seeing a character embrace righteous anger against a corrupt system, especially a black character.
But he also doesn't need to sound like RDJ in Tropic Thunder played straight.

And to be clear here there are times where his delivery 100% plays into him being black that works. But for every moment like that there's one where he sounds like a bad MadTV skit.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Can people saying that Barret's portrayal is fine explain why the train scene is fine to them and not problematic at all? I need to know how the fuck anyone watches that and goes "this is fine".

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Just because a character is well written in one specific instance does not mean it's less of a stereotype.

OP is right that angry black man is a commonly used trope. Even if Barret is done well (and that's ultimately debatable btw), he absolutely adds to the reinforcement of the belief a lot of people hold that a lot of black people are just angry, big and scary.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow you are still stuck on thinking that the problem is fitting into the tropes when it's been explained multiple times that this is not the case. Like no shit, not all tropes are bad and that's why we are calling this specific trope a stereotype. The problem is this particular portrayal sucks. Just because they've progressed on making him broader than just the stereotype does not erase it's existence. Him being angry is not the problem - him singing a faux negro spiritual going up the stairs and acting the way he does and sounding the way he does is the problem.

Like we have better examples of righteously angry black men all over the media and despite them fitting into tropes they don't get these threads because they don't suck.

I loved Orlando's character in this show. Seeing the comments it seems they got rid of him.

Orlando Jones Says He Was Fired From 'American Gods' for Sending "Wrong Message for Black America"
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Orlando Jones Says He Was Fired From ‘American Gods’ for Sending “Wrong Message for Black America”

Orlando Jones says he was fired from Starz's 'American Gods' in September, alleging that new showrunner Charles Eglee decided his character was sending "the wrong message for black America."

Maybe something cleared up, but anyway he's gone from the show :(

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is highly open to interpretation, but playing the game in Japanese gave me a really different impression of Barrett's character.

He's got kind of a... washed up middle aged guy trying desperately to make himself seem cool factor that I'm not sure is well-represented in the dub. If I could have my infinite control over time and space druthers, I would have arranged it so that somehow someone like John Witherspoon would be able to provide his dub voice (or alternately, that would be the direction given to the existing voice actor). There's a lot of exasperation and panic and just general charisma breaks all over the character that I think help sell him as less of a generic action hero type. I only played the area covered in the demo with the dub on, but what was there didn't give me the impression that they were balancing the character's localized writing in that way.

And when I say balance, that's really what it is because the individual beats are the same, they just have different texture. A specific example would be when Cloud says "WELL MAYBE PEOPLE SHOULD JUST MOVE OUT OF THE SLUMS IF IT SUCKS SO BAD." The dub response has an air of "You're ignorant about the reality of the situation" whereas the Japanese has more of a feeling "For god's sake stop trying to show off how tough you are and show some empathy."

So is it questionable writing itself, or questionable localization? Either way, at least there's a black guy in it, which is more than I can say for every other big JRPG series, more than a handful of western ones, and the other 97% of the FF games

Thanks for the insight. I kind of got some of this in the English - the general impression of the character I've gotten of him from the parts I've played (about halfway through) is of a Southern hellfire preacher but one that people don't take seriously. Which honestly works a lot better than I thought it would before I played the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Angry black man is a stereotype, but even black men can be angry, can't they ?

I understand in a lot of western countries foreign people are the subject of many racist tropes, but sometimes a character can have certain personality aspects, without the authors having a racist agenda underneath it. You could argue that Barett is the only black protagonist in the game (well there are a lot of NPCs of various skin, hair colour and body type though), but what would have been the better solution ? To make him white ? To completely alter his character (thus changing the core of the character arc) ? Honest question, without malice in my intent.

I mean, for me, in pieces of media
there can be angry black people
there can be arab terorists
there can be German neo-nazi
there can be American stupid fucks
there can be flamboyant gay people
without it being racist, as there are people like that in the world. Are they the norm ? Of course not. But media should be able to display a character even if it was a problematic trope before. It's problematic imho if the media goes out of its way to assert that every [minority] is [trait].

I played it in French and the localization made him sound like a passionate yet angry guy. He's angry and swears, but not that much compared to other characters. Sure he's the only black character in the team, but other black NPCs). There's also Cid in the original FF7, who's as if not more angry than Barrett and doesn't have the benefice of having a noble goal.

I don't have any problem with any type of people (hell I'm a minority in my country of residence) it's sad we live in a world where one character, cannot be a certain way, genuinely to be interesting, because of how much the media made a stereotype out of them.

And frankly, I'd take FF7R Barrett over original "I'm speaking in ebonics" Barrett any day

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I heard in the Japanese original FFVII he was not written so stereotypically and this was added in the English localisation. Probably by white dudes.

Is this true? I wonder how he is in the Japanese dub of the remake.

BusterSword

May 10, 2019
Daytona Beach, FL
I'm black and I dunno I kinda like Barret....a lot. I don't remember people so up in arms over Sgt. Johnson from Halo. Barrett's anger doesn't seem to stem from his blackness but the fact that's he's a terrorist cell leader. And Barret shows his tender side more than most of the characters here. I love Barrets characterization and I think the VA did an excellent job.

Oct 27, 2017
Can you name me all these games with well written black dudes who aren't angry?
I can't, because most of the games I've played do not have minorities in Western countries in either their protagonists or NPCs. That say more about representation really.
I was talking about characters across all media.
We should definitely have more varied characters from all backgrounds.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how they handle the characters who "beats" his "wife".
I think he just needs to not get everything he wants lol, but they need to do it in a way that doesn't involve belittling Shera to do so.
Like, he doesn't face a single consequence for his actions.

I think the best way to handle him would be for him to not
go into space, but still have Shera save the day there. that's like the one thing Cid wants, and not only does he get that, he gets the mutual appreciation of Shera at the same time lol. It's like, you abused your partner, now go fulfill your lifelong dream and also you love each other now and you also help save the entire world.

Him having to give up his dream to go to space in order to help the others go up there and get the huge materia is way better for his character development, and is more of a 'heroic sacrifice' than a bit of debris falling on him and then I guess he gets visited by the ghosts of Christmas past present and future and then he's instantly a good person.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I can't, because most of the games I've played do not have minorities in Western countries in either their protagonists or NPCs.

So what you're saying is its okay for games to have the angry black man because black dudes can be angry but you cant think of any games where the black guy isnt angry?

You know the angry black guy stereotype is bad right?

Oct 27, 2017
So what you're saying is its okay for games to have the angry black man because black dudes can be angry but you cant think of any games where there isn't an angry black guy?

You know the angry black guy stereotype is bad right?
It is bad, but there are a lot of media where you have black people, depicted as not having those qualities. I'm saying media should be allowed to have them.
Or should we separate all kinds of media and interprate them in their vacuum ?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I heard in the Japanese original FFVII he was not written so stereotypically and this was added in the English localisation. Probably by white dudes.

Is this true? I wonder how he is in the Japanese dub of the remake.
This is a video from a guy who played the game in Japanese and English. Interesting video to hear the translation differences.

kotaku.com

Final Fantasy VII's Barret Is Solid Snake In Japanese, Mister T In English

I’m playing Final Fantasy VII in English and Japanese at the same time. I’m noticing a lot of little differences. This is part two of what is now, officially, a series.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
It is obvious that Barrett is offensive to many . It doesn't matter if you like the character , or think he is funny or the best character in the game . He is offensive .

Personally speaking I've been bothered by an obviously different but similar issue , that in the role of gay characters in games. I still remember the pain I had playing Enchanted Arms as a kid still coming to terms with my sexuality and being confronted with such an offensive caricature of a gay man in the character of Makoto. At the time my friends told me he was "funny" .

It's not hard to step back for a minute and just say "I don't have a stake in this , let the people this affects tell me why it is wrong and how I can help".

Well said. I agree with this.

Oct 25, 2017
Angry black man is a stereotype, but even black men can be angry, can't they ?

I understand in a lot of western countries foreign people are the subject of many racist tropes, but sometimes a character can have certain personality aspects, without the authors having a racist agenda underneath it. You could argue that Barett is the only black protagonist in the game (well there are a lot of NPCs of various skin, hair colour and body type though), but what would have been the better solution ? To make him white ? To completely alter his character (thus changing the core of the character arc) ? Honest question, without malice in my intent.

I mean, for me, in pieces of media
there can be angry black people
there can be arab terorists
there can be German neo-nazi
there can be American stupid fucks
there can be flamboyant gay people
without it being racist, as there are people like that in the world. Are they the norm ? Of course not. But media should be able to display a character even if it was a problematic trope before. It's problematic imho if the media goes out of its way to assert that every [minority] is [trait].

I played it in French and the localization made him sound like a passionate yet angry guy. He's angry and swears, but not that much compared to other characters. Sure he's the only black character in the team, but other black NPCs). There's also Cid in the original FF7, who's as if not more angry than Barrett and doesn't have the benefice of having a noble goal.

I don't have any problem with any type of people (hell I'm a minority in my country of residence) it's sad we live in a world where one character, cannot be a certain way, genuinely to be interesting, because of how much the media made a stereotype out of them.

And frankly, I'd take FF7R Barrett over original "I'm speaking in ebonics" Barrett any day

Let's put it this way.

Arab representation in games is trash because most of it tends to be in shooters where the "Arabs are terrorists."

If a big budget JRPG came out and featured an Arab character who was a terrorist, the response isn't: "this is fine, there can be Arab terrorists after all."

The response is: "why the fuck are Arabs only terrorists in video games."

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It is bad, but there are a lot of media where you have black people, depicted as not having those qualities. I'm saying media should be allowed to have them.
Or should we separate all kinds of media and interprate them in their vacuum ?

So its fine that gaming has a huge problem depicting black people because they sorta kinda fixed it in film and television is what you're saying?

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I loved Orlando's character in this show. Seeing the comments it seems they got rid of him.

Orlando Jones Says He Was Fired From 'American Gods' for Sending "Wrong Message for Black America"
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Orlando Jones Says He Was Fired From ‘American Gods’ for Sending “Wrong Message for Black America”

Orlando Jones says he was fired from Starz's 'American Gods' in September, alleging that new showrunner Charles Eglee decided his character was sending "the wrong message for black America."

Maybe something cleared up, but anyway he's gone from the show :(

They got rid of him and it was bullshit, it still makes me sad and bothered to the point that I'm not really wanting to go back to finish it.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's put it this way.

Arab representation in games is trash because most of it tends to be in shooters where the "Arabs are terrorists."

If a big budget JRPG came out and featured an Arab character who was a terrorist, the response isn't: "this is fine, there can be Arab terrorists after all."

The response is: "why the fuck are Arabs only terrorists in video games."
Depends on the authors really

If the authors only put out games with arabs as antagonists and terrorists, well, that says something.

If they aren't, well that's another thing.

Square Enix has Barrett in FFVII and Sazh in FFXIII. I haven't played through their entire catalog but I don't think they have this one stereotype they give all of their few black characters ?

So its fine that gaming has a huge problem depicting black people because they sorta kinda fixed it in film and television is what you're saying?
Now, I get that this kind of discussion can bring the heat out of people but let's stay civil and focused now shall we.
I certainly did not say that. You could put a diverse cast of protagonists for games in order to change the mentalities for the better, so we can have women, minorities, etc.
But what is the solution here for Barrett ?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
As a black guy, I just find him to be a passionate man with a big heart. And I've hung around black dudes with similar personalities who are great people.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I thought this was a racist/caricature since the initial trailers came out and he spoke like that but I'm not black so can't really say one way or another but from an outsider's perspective, thought it was an extremely over the top performance, especially when compared to the other VA who all did a great job. His Japanese VA on the other hand played him better, to my ears.

A lot of it is due to how his voice direction went, probably just said "this character was inspired by Mr. T" or something to that effect?

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the authors really

If the authors only put out games with arabs as antagonists and terrorists, well, that says something.

If they aren't, well that's another thing.

Square Enix has Barrett in FFVII and Sazh in FFXIII. I haven't played through their entire catalog but I don't think they have this one stereotype they give all of their few black characters ?

It doesn't depend on the author, not really. If you are releasing a product in 2020 depicting under represented minorities that still have problematic stereotypes as part of the characterization, that's a big issue.

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't depend on the author, not really. If you are releasing a product in 2020 depicting under represented minorities that still have problematic stereotypes as part of the characterization, that's a big issue.
So you can't have 1 character that has a trait, all the characters from one minority has to be exempt from it ? I mean, it's not like every (few) black character in FF7R is angry.
Would adding another character that doesn't have this trait would be a solution to you ? Really honest question.

Oct 25, 2017
So you can't have 1 character that has a trait, all the characters from one minority has to be exempt from it ? I mean, it's not like every (few) black character in FF7R is angry.
Would adding another character that doesn't have this trait would be a solution to you ? Really honest question.

There's a reason I made the post about your "Arabs as a terrorist" example. Go back and reread it.

And no, I don't think your question is honest because of how overtly simple it is and how you seem to lack a basic understanding of the issues at play, which seems to be a recurring theme with many posters in this thread.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my wife and I were chatting about this as I played through the first chapter, noting that he voice direction made the character come across as a caricature. Unfortunate because I enjoyed the character's story and arc but that voice acting was a :/

Oct 27, 2017
There's a reason I made the post about your "Arabs as a terrorist" example. Go back and reread it.

And no, I don't think your question is honest because of how overtly simple it is and how you seem to lack a basic understanding of the issues at play, which seems to be a recurring theme with many posters in this thread.
Yes I have read it and understood it the first time, thank you very much. I recently bought Modern Warfare, they have Middle Eastern terrorists. So ? There happen to be also non-terrorist Middle Eastern people in this very game and others from the same publisher ? Yes it's a trope that's been used time and time before, but it's a story set in the middle east, so I don't understand your point.

You find me simple, well, I'm not that bright so yeah simple is best, what's the solution ? I really mean it - just not do any kind of trait that was seen bad before until we attain a point of representation where it's allowed again ?