• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
How are people defending that?

People happy with Barret's portrayal in the remake should need to explain why the fuck they are cool with that scene. That shit is not okay.
That train scene is honestly the most problematic I've ever witnessed in a video game.

Just...

Black man speaking jive, justifying violence, intimidating a bunch of well to do white people in suits who feel scared and victimized who are preaching peace.

The women even looks at him and says, "Law abiding... really?''

goddamn

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I think the main issue stems from a colossal under representation of minorities in media. So, no matter how good (or bad) his portrayal is in FF7R, it is magnified and compared to an incredibly small sample size; yes, that comparison often adhering to the stereotype of "an angry black man."

Often being written by white people, these characters are given what I think a lot of white people think is how a black person might feel/act (historically even more so for FF7R) based on what they learned via history...with the issue that the history they learned from has been severely whitewashed. Note it's not excusing anything, but it's pretty impossible to accurately portray a certain race when you are looking from the outside. FF7R has the interesting issue of determining how much to adhere to nostalgia and how the character was previously portrayed, but the point stands for games, especially non-remakes. We need more diversity in the gaming industry, to get a better representation of diverse stories/characters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That train scene is honestly the most problematic I've ever witnessed in a video game.

Just...

Black man speaking jive, justifying violence, intimidating a bunch of well to do white people in suits who feel scared and victimized who are preaching peace.

goddamn

I felt like the implication of that scene was to say both Barret and the Shinra employees are wrong. Barret for thinking large-scale violence is justifiable to enact change, and the Shinra employees for literally recycling the company line when confronted with the atrocities their corporation is doing to the planet. I didn't at all think you were supposed to feel bad for the Shinra people in that moment. Their "preaching peace" is a pre-written, manufactured corporate creed.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Barret at first but I'm warming up to him the more screen time he gets. So it's a similar progression from of the original. But he's definitely a caricature both in the original and in the remake. You could maybe get a away with that more in the original because everyone is a puppet with popeye hands. But with 20 years of hindsight and graphical improvements, it's more overt here. There's a scene in the remake where he's publicly arguing with Shinra employees. I get that he doesn't like Shinra but it does come off as "scary black man on a train". Not to mention that such an aggressive move could easily blow his cover right before a mission so the act itself doesn't make sense.

Barrett is the original shows that under his aggressive exterior, he is a caring and charismatic leader who Cloud depends upon as his right hand man and closest male confidant. I'm about 20 hours into the Remake and glimpses of that happening in as well and hopefully it continues through future installments. But there's no doubt that Barret relies on historic stereotypes.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Because the alternative is that you're advocating that they can't ever be loud and angry. You're pretty much removing core aspects of a human being regardless of race, skin, ethnicity, etc.
But they CAN be loud and angry, evident by the fact that THEY MAKE UP THE MAJORITY OF DEPICTIONS! That has never been called into question. How about they make some other black characters who aren't loud and angry? How about they make them a bit more subdued? Every black person in real life is not like this SO WHY IS IT THIS WAY IN FICTION!? Why is it that the black guy has to first and foremost be over the top and angry?

The ridiculousness in this thread is staggering. People just blatantly ignoring the very clear bias towards making these characters this one personality type because "oh my god but what if they stop making loud black people?"

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't get non black people's obsession with Mr. T, like what resonated about him for you to make shitty clones of him in your stories?
Mr T is cool.

As for Barret I haven't played the game yet but the leaked demo made me wince because he did fit a bunch of bad tropes even more than the original because of the voice acting emphasizing it further but I've been listening to a bunch of podcasts about this game and Barret and Tifa are basically the most fleshed out characters with the poster boy Cloud getting the short shrift. What exactly about the later portions of the game you didn't like?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Look at the OPs opening post and his second post of the thread. This discussion is predicated on that notion, that he exemplifies the angry black man/scary black man trope.

Look man I already know that, I'm capable of experiencing a whole range of emotions despite being black. I'm saying his character within the Midgar section in the original game doesn't present him with the same depth that we're getting here and his current rendition to me feels like Square acknowledging that. They didn't change his character, but they gave him a hell of a lot more depth. He's the most introspective guy in the group, the driving force behind the group's motivations (before seph anyway) with some of the best lines in the game

www.resetera.com

Kingdom Come's balance between historical accuracy and fun

From: https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/2/16964080/kingdom-come-deliverance-history-rpg-ps4-xbox-pc Verge recently put out an article focusing on Joanna Nowak, the in-house history consultant working on Kingdom Come: Deliverance for Czech game developer Warhorse Studios. And it contains some very...

Now that you've got one, wanna take in the rest of my post about how using Tvtropes might be a bit too reductive? The flip side of that would be female characters in war games and the like - which btw I'm all for, the point I'm making is that it being a trope on TvTropes doesn't inherently make it negative.

I'd love to see someone recreate Barrett's character without using any of these tropes https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackIndex
Are you really saying people shouldn't complain about the loud angry black guy stereotype because they also thought a game made by Nazi-adjacent assholes was selective in its commitment to verisimilitude ?

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017

Just...

goddamn

Yeah, that scene seems problematic at first, but I didn't see it that way.

I saw it more as them showing how people in a position of power (Shinra employees) can seem more fair on the surface to a bystander. We all know Barret is fighting for a good cause, but it is hard for his voice to be heard because of the relationships of power. He seems powerless in that scene because no matter what he says or does, the Shinra employees have the upper hand, despite them being afraid. This is why they know they can stand up to him despite him having a machine gun on his arm.

This is why it is easy for Shinra to turn the regular people of Midgar against Avalanche.

Again, i can see everything you dislike about the scene, and I agree with Barret being presented as a stereotype, but I think they did some things well.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this scene, but I believe that was the original goal of it, even if the execution is a bit sloppy.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Barret is a walking stereotype unfortunately and they had a chance to tone it down with the dub but leaned into it. He's a great character otherwise though and has some fantastic moments. His voice actor was great when he wasn't playing up the stereotypical Mr T persona. Barret is pretty funny but its more about how hard he tries to be tough in some scenes.

Also, there actually is at least one other black character in the game that has their own little story line. The black orphanage caretaker lady in sector 5 was pretty normal by comparison.

I also like to think of Rude as mixed race. I think he was originally designed to look South American.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
youtu.be

John Eric Bentley Talks Creating a Voice for Barret Wallace

#Shacknews #FF7R #FFVIICheck out our other videos! Final Fantasy 7 Remake Reviewhttps://youtu.be/klYtE5m-RiU Follow us on Twitter! @Shacknews & @GamerhubTVS...

I'm still waiting on the full game (i got over him in the demo faster than i thought i would) to judge but watching this interview and hearing people say he sounds like that just to get a pay check is super insulting.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Are you really saying people shouldn't complain about the loud angry black guy stereotype because they also thought a game made by Nazi-adjacent assholes was selective in its commitment to verisimilitude ?

What?

I'm saying that Tvtropes is pointless in these sorts of discussions because there are positive tropes associated with black people on that very same site that I've seen people advocate for. IT'S IN THE POST YOU'RE QUOTING

wanna take in the rest of my post about how using Tvtropes might be a bit too reductive? The flip side of that would be female characters in war games and the like - which btw I'm all for, the point I'm making is that it being a trope on TvTropes doesn't inherently make it negative.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like the implication of that scene was to say both Barret and the Shinra employees are wrong. Barret for thinking large-scale violence is justifiable to enact change, and the Shinra employees for literally recycling the company line when confronted with the atrocities their corporation is doing to the planet. I didn't at all think you were supposed to feel bad for the Shinra people in that moment. Their "preaching peace" is a pre-written, manufactured corporate creed.
Barret's dialogue is cringey though, even with the full context of the story.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, it's a stereotype. But, unlike Atlus who played the gay's stereotype as joke and nothing more, Barret is actually a well defined character, not just an angry black man.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil

Just...

goddamn
I don't think we're supposed to sympathize with the people in suits in that scene though. If anything I'm pretty sure the intention is for them to come out as pathetic and deluded by their company loyalty in contrast with what we've just seen Shinra do.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
But they CAN be loud and angry, evident by the fact that THEY MAKE UP THE MAJORITY OF DEPICTIONS! That has never been called into question. How about they make some other black characters who aren't loud and angry? How about they make them a bit more subdued? Every black person in real life is not like this SO WHY IS IT THIS WAY IN FICTION!? Why is it that the black guy has to first and foremost be over the top and angry?

The ridiculousness in this thread is staggering. People just blatantly ignoring the very clear bias towards making these characters this one personality type because "oh my god but what if they stop making loud black people?"

No offense but if I was put in a situation like Barrett and had his beliefs then I wouldn't act different. A company is killing the planet by sucking the planet dry. I love my daughter very much and I want to make sure it's in a good place when she gets older. I resorted to terrorism to counter the anti-planet corporation. I mean... the dude has every right to be loud and angry. Every waking moment because he's that passionate. I mean shit, people are loud and angry on this board all the time 24/7.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Barret's dialogue is cringey though, even with the full context of the story.

I kinda think it was supposed to be. A bunch of Shinra executives (middle managers, no less - the game distinctly identifies one of them as a middle manager and the other two as his subordinates) making excuses for the company that just blew up multiple city blocks to foment hatred of a marginalized group of people.

Yes, Barret is handling the situation very badly, but Shinra is in no way meant to be sympathetic there.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's a subtle racism for sure off set by his later actions that make him less a big angry cartoon man (and indeed he's really quite similar to his 1997 version) , so it's easy to "dismiss"... But it's still a character acting a certain way because of his skin colour. It's goofy and SE got it better with FF13.

Barret and Marlene get some very sweet screen time together, and he's an invaluable party member. I prefer to remember him and think of him for that than his early scenes (where even Cloud sucks for his own reasons of being a tuff guy caricature) (Barrett's caricaturization is more severe for obvious historical context reasons though so your mileage can vary).

.... Also drastic changes to ff7 didn't see Tifa become less waifu oriented either even if it's a small improvement from 20 years ago... For better or worse these R Characterizationsare indeed a lot like their '97 counterparts.
Shit if anything the more screen time makes it somewhat a flanderization of it. 🙃

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Started playing through OG FFVII after completing Remake and it definitely feels like a missed opportunity. Remake covers roughly the first 4ish hours of the original and hits all the beats that game had. However, it feels odd that rather than have the opportunity to have Barrett grow or change, he remains one note throughout the game and in all the expanded scenes. Hell, Jessie has more of a character arc than Barrett in remake.

I would have been ok with Barrett keeping his original demeanor for the original mission or two (tough guy act for the new guy). But it feels like there could have been a good chance to expand or grow the character, especially with the scenes with Marlene or once there's more trust among the group. Also, his line reading was the most awkward throughout the game and his tone just didn't fit with the text. (Specifically thinking about the ending scene)

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
White dude here so I could be wrong but the Angry Shouty Black Man is the comfy cosy Token Black Man to white people. It's safe and easy and doesn't appear racist because oh look how much emotion they gave him, they gave him a voice, he is powerful and not being oppressed. Hurrah we represented so now we can get on with the White Dude with the Oversized Sword saves the world. Like - Oh shit there is a black man....ah it's okay he is passionate and angry and shouty, whew unclench and aww isn't he adorable. I can see why he would be a racist stereotype but again I am a white dude who did not play FF7 in any form so what do I know.

OP
OP
Chief Malik
No offense but if I was put in a situation like Barrett and had his beliefs then I wouldn't act different. A company is killing the planet by sucking the planet dry. I love my daughter very much and I want to make sure it's in a good place when she gets older. I resorted to terrorism to counter the anti-planet corporation. I mean... the dude has every right to be loud and angry.
Doesn't sound too dissimilar to black activist from civil rights to eco rights yet nobody in real life is speaking and acting like Barrett.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Can I just point out that curiously pretty much every supposed black person who sees nothing wrong with Barret's character has prefaced their post with "As a black man"...

Also, just because some black people are cool with this type of representation doesn't automatically erase everything problematic with his portrayal.

You can like the game and even like Barret while acknowedging that he personifies some harmful stereotypes that they honestly could have down without. He would have been a MUCH stronger character were he more realistic and measured.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Eh, also chiming in as a black guy here, I saw bits of this as I played through the game but I disagree on the whole. He's actually one of the more nuanced and charismatic characters in the game, and often shows a level of compassion that you don't see from the rest of the case which makes him feel quite human.

Yeah, he's a big burly black man who can be angry, but throughout the 18 chapters of the game, the scenes with him raging are mostly relegated to the early chapters. Not to mention, the anger he does have is completely justified when juxtaposed with the way Shinra is portrayed. Discussion certainly isn't without merit though.

I took far, far more issue with his hair then anything else in the game if I'm honest with you. Not sure what Square Enix was thinking there. I know as Japanese developers, their sensitivity and awareness of what is a western-centric issue will be limited, but I've seen other Japanese developers and even Square Enix themselves do black features and hair specifically right many times.

These are the same people that made Sazh, after all. Easily the most realistic character in FFXIII (other than the pet chocobo)
This is how I feel about it too.

At the moment, there's staff communication basically saying this thread is now only about racist stereotyping of black people, and his character does not excuse the stereotype. Makes me feel that people ONLY see his exterior which to me, a lot of scenes in the game show to be a foolish way of looking at the man - that's before you see the scenes that show his mannerisms are mostly for show. He's a big softy with a gun for an arm.

I respect Square for not heavily altering his character because of his earlier representations, instead the new Barrett to me feels like an understanding of how his earlier presentation was actually rooted in that mentality. This game allows us to see how he transcends it to be MORE than just an angry black man.

I just looked through the index of black stereotypes on Tvtropes and man, I'm just glad I don't let that colour my perceptions too heavily because I'm certain he's actually a few more of those tropes.

Uncle Tomfoolery: A stereotypical black guy with the sole purpose of comic relief
Token Black Friend: A black character whose main purpose is to revolve around the non-black main character and/or only add diversity to a work
Salt and Pepper: A duo of one black person and one white person with personalities that are hilariously polar
Malcolm Xerox: Someone who is willing to go to violent extremes for the sake of an oppressed group
Magical Negro: A black character who is both wise and mystic, only existing to give wisdom to other non-black characters
But Not Too Black: A character is black, but their skin tone is very pale, with the unfortunate implication that this makes them "easier to swallow."
Blaxploitation: A genre of film with a hero whose main attributes is the fact that they're black (almost always behaving stereotypically), badass, and fighting against the bad guys pretty violently
African Terrorists: Sub-Saharan African terrorists, often carrying out guerrilla operations and maybe working for someone else.)

but not actually any of them? I just think it's reductive as hell to see things through this website.

Funnily enough there's a black stereotype here that Resetera constantly advocates for, the Black Vikings: A minority character is in a work, but it doesn't make sense in the historical setting.

Don't even get me started on the posts about his hair, lemme go tell my boi that he's negative black stereotype because he has straight hair naturally. (Funnily enough his hairline is more like OG Barrett)

Because Barret falls into several of those tropes, he falls into none of them. He actually has a history and a story to tell that's far deeper than any of those things, and just because he has characteristics that other TV tropes have doesn't make him a stereotype. Some of those are also quite contradictory as well. It speaks of a depth that this thread betrays. I mean, look at any of us on this thread. I'm a white dude who can't dance, plays videos games, and isn't all that athletic, but those things are not what define me. There is more depth to me than that (I hope, at least).

I didn't care for the elevator scene either, but much more because I didn't enjoy the movements of the character, and because I thought it betrayed Barret's character in his quieter moments. It was just poor rendering, but the point of a character arc is to display an initial behavior, then portray some change in them that occurs because of story events or an increased look at the person's life. The very first change we see? Barret picking up his adopted daughter and being a protective father.

Let's call this for what it really was. Barret, as well as Mark from the original Persona, who magically turned black when the game was localized, were parts of various Japanese game company attempts to endear their games to a larger, more varied audience in the West. It came across badly in some cases. The Mark portrayal was particularly bad, and he was better off left in his original form, because the character was written originally to be labeled a bad apple by his teachers and was generally rude and overly aggressive. That was the character they chose to be the black guy. Pretty gross looking back on it now, and when the game was remastered, Atlus did not repeat the mistake.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how Barret should be as a character, with full justification as to how that wouldn't completely change the story and the characters around him, and without making him non-black so as to avoid the stereotype conversation, like Atlus was forced to do with Mark. When you start thinking about it that way, you realize the challenge laid at SE's feet.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
This is the first time I've actually liked Barret.

He has a level of nuance that wasn't shown in his previous incarnations. You can feel the passion he has towards protecting the planet, but you also get a sense of his inner conflict and the pain he's had to endure. His brash nature towards Shinra almost comes across as a defense mechanism since he can't afford to stop and think about them as regular people. I see a passionate person with a lot of personal baggage trying to fight for a potentially lost cause.

I guess "black man who isn't calm" is a stereotype, but I don't think his depiction in the game is necessarily negative. More of a well-realized version of an overly used trope than a racist caricature meant to make a group of people look bad.

Yeah his mannerisms are cliche, but I don't think anyone is coming out of a scene like that with negative emotions or feelings towards Barret. Don't judge a book by its cover and all that.

I do understand the frustration of Square's most prolific black character coming across as a stereotype. A remake of a fan-favourite from 1997 probably isn't the best place to look for drastic change though. Either they turn Barret into a different character, or they do his established character to the best of their ability, which I think is what they pulled off.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Can I just point out that curiously pretty much every supposed black person who sees nothing wrong with Barret's character has prefaced their post with "As a black man"...

Also, just because some black people are cool with this type of representation doesn't automatically erase everything problematic with his portrayal.

You can like the game and even like Barret while acknowedging that he personifies some harmful stereotypes that they honestly could have down without. He would have been a MUCH stronger character were he more realistic and measured.

Can't speak for anyone else, literally trying not to catch a ban for having an opinion.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's so frustrating listening to countless people who aren't black tell me (who is black) about why Barret is a black caricature. How he is "too black", "too loud", "too tropey", the list goes on...

It's just draining and sad that in 2020, people still think black people are either "too black" or "not black enough" and don't realize that people are just fuckin' people and the color of their skin, their accent, their mannerisms, whatever else are just parts of who they are.

I hesitate even posting in threads like this because getting moderated for expressing my disappointment with people telling black people what they can and can't be just feels so helpless, but whatever, if it happens, it happens.

Does Barret SOUND like he's from a blaxploitation film? Sure. If that's what you take away from his character, to me that speaks volumes about you, not him.

Amazing post.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda think it was supposed to be. A bunch of Shinra executives (middle managers, no less - the game distinctly identifies one of them as a middle manager and the other two as his subordinates) making excuses for the company that just blew up multiple city blocks to foment hatred of a marginalized group of people.

Yes, Barret is handling the situation very badly, but Shinra is in no way meant to be sympathetic there.
I just meant his dialogue often sound unnatural like in that scene, and I think it's more noticeable with Barret, even compared to some of the large personalities in the game.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else also notice that the first two Black women we meet are angry? The first one is in chapter 3; she angrily shouts at Cloud that they don't need him when he says the Shinra soldiers are just doing their job. The other one I forget if she's in chapter 3 or 8, but she's a shopkeeper who gives Cloud some attitude for no apparent reason.

like... yeah

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
I hate his voice actor and why did they make a dark skin character look like a tan white guy?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

We have Sazh in FFXIII who is a very calm and collected dude the majority of the time. Likewise we have Marcus in Watch Dogs 2 who is an extremely smart hacker. While the stereotype is harmful, we do have other African American protagonists who aren't a part of it.

Bumpers

Oct 26, 2017
London
With the accusation of 'white posters commentating' I don't think it's surprising I and others have had to disclose our race. Please don't use it as whether it alludes to anything.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just meant his dialogue often sound unnatural like in that scene, and I think it's more noticeable with Barret, even compared to some of the large personalities in the game.

I would argue that's just a consequence of the voice direction in some scenes. See Tifa's "I'M SICK OF THIS" flashback, which sounds like she's stuck in traffic, not enduring her entire family and hometown being murdered.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Threads like these just make me realise how much of a sheltered life I have lead for the last 38 up to this point and how little I have read into media.

I love Mr. T off the A-Team but had no idea there was an angry black man/scary black man trope in media.

is it ignorance? Is it white privilege? I have no clue whatsoever.

ive never really dug deep into anything, just watch it/play it and move on.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I think as someone said earlier. The drastic changes were more so scenario and fleshing out (like the Avalanche crew). But the main crew retain their personalities from the original pretty much. Mixture of 90s game and retaining the nostalgia. None of the big players had any drastic changes at all, at most miniscule, as mentioned with Tifa/aerith. But they're still how they were in the original.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What?

I'm saying that Tvtropes is pointless in these sorts of discussions because there are positive tropes associated with black people on that very same site that I've seen people advocate for. IT'S IN THE POST YOU'RE QUOTING
TVtropes isn't pointless when OP does all the legwork of explaining why they feel how they feel, and uses it as a reference to catch people up in case they couldn't see the stereotype or its prevalence. In the end, using the "tvtropes is shit" argument as a bludgeon means you're telling people to not discuss stereotypes because they're referenced on that site. At best, it's a non-sequitur, because it's not like OP went on that site and looked for things to complain about.

Your Black Viking sidebar still makes zero sense. Who gives a fuck that that trope is "positive".

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is that so weird? After all is there a quick accusation that it's just white people dismissing black peoples feelings

May 26, 2018
I didn't question the interpretation the first time, but back then I was a kid who wasn't even ten yet... I just thought it was funny he seemed like Mr. T.

These days, yeah, he can come across as OTT, though I like the actor. Apparently he is more even-keeled in the Japanese dub?

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): ignoring staff post, dismissive content-free drive-by
The character is fine.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that's just a consequence of the voice direction in some scenes. See Tifa's "I'M SICK OF THIS" flashback, which sounds like she's stuck in traffic, not enduring her entire family and hometown being murdered.
I think they have to be more careful with Barret's dialogue because I think he was even more stereotypical and often incoherent in the original.

"It's cuz of that &^#$# 'pizza"

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
Barret being a good character does not make him less of a stereotype. I don't understand why people keep bringing up his context and character development like that justifies him being a stereotype.