• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have not heard of this angry black man trope before. With that said, you're coming off as racist to me OP for assocaiting emotions to a race. Yikes..
Call it as it is - a personality trope, don't see the point of adding colour to it.

Come on, the angry black man trope exists and it is a value criticism of the original.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I have not heard of this angry black man trope before. With that said, you're coming off as racist to me OP for assocaiting emotions to a race. Yikes..
Call it as it is - a personality trope, don't see the point of adding colour to it.

When the personality trope tends to be applied to the same race, maybe there's a pattern that's flying over your head. Calling the OP racist for voicing his concerns is ignorant and unfair on your part.

PrismStar

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Weeks): Dismissing concerns around representation; account in junior phase
Nah. He's an amazing character.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Maybe he's just an angry man. That happens to be black? He's built off of Mr T who, is a beloved character created by a black man. Edit: I admired those qualities about Mr T! It's cool to be angry about things that matter!

Black men can be passionate about things without it being racist right?

Also I noticed the op just said actual black civil rights activists don't act that way. Can we look back at the black panthers that protected their neighborhoods with literal firearms while daring the police to step out of line? They stood on street corners ready to recite their rights as American citizens into the faces of pigs that would challenge them on their skin color alone.

Angry black man is a trope, I get that. But angry activist black men? Fuck yes. Very cool.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Yikes.

If you don't know the trope, read about it before being ignorant and calling the OP out for being racist.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I can't believe someone made this post

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Ultimately, the way Barret is portrayed was a conscious creative decision. Could he have had the same arc he has without so thoroughly playing into these tropes? I'd assume so. So it's worth calling into question why he was directed like this.
He was directed like this because of the original game. If he was a built from the ground up for a modern FF I don't think it would have been like this. However FFXIII's Sazh was basically a Barrett clone, so perhaps my point wears thin.

That's a fantastic point. Wouldn't have expected anything less from the deeply thoughtful Austin Walker.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Of course he could have which is why I'm laughing at some of the replies. Actual black civil rights and environmental activist in real life don't run around acting like that yet him playing into obviously racist tropes is "justified". Lmaaaaaaaooooo

I would recommend engaging with the people who aren't being ridiculous.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I see what you mean and the fact that he's gentle with Marlene only adds to the trope

It is an unfortunate relic of 1990's storytelling.

Sash is a way better done character

Sazh is a black man with a big Afro who has a bird that lives in his hair...

And out of everyone, he is the one to feature the absolute least in the two sequels.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of rage this man generates inside me whenever he is on screen is insane. I haven't seen anything this hilariously racist in a AAA game since.... I don't even know when. Who the hell has angry black man and scary black man tropes in their games in 2020? Seriously. SE a global billion dollar conglomerate with all sorts of people working for them so I'm not going to buy the Japan excuse at all.
I think the jist is he hates everyone equally as they have their unwitting part of giving Shinra power, impoverished a huge chunk of Midgar's populace and slowly killing the planet. An activist if you will. Maybe even an extremist.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 month): dismissing concerns around representation, trolling
Just asking: So a character like Barret, same traits, can't be potrayed as black because he is racist? So as soon as devs decide to create a char. like Barret, they have to refrain from making him black, right?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I mean, chicken and egg. Did they come up with the character first or the concept first?

Does it really matter what came first? Writing isn't a "ok we decided this and now we can't change it" thing. they can look at the whole of what they made and realize the issue and change where necessary.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Just asking: So a character like Barret, same traits, can't be potrayed as black because he is racist? So as soon as devs decide to create a char. like Barret, they have to refrain from making him black, right?

I think it'd be smart for Japanese companies like SE to have more minority voices when it comes to character design. It'd help a lot, because as Austin Walker talks about, the design is all over the place and not consistent with specific things that a lot of companies get wrong about black people.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a combination of things. But really it's the bad Mr.T + sunday sermon + RDJ in tropic thunder like delivery that really pushes it over the edge.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
When the demo came out it made me wish he had a British accent or something, like Idris Elba. Some of the stuff they have him saying in the game is cringe.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Man, this shit is wild. You guys don't need to trip yourselves this much to defend everything about FF7R.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Barret fucking screams angry black man trope, it's not subtle at all and his Tropic Thunder voice is the worst part. It was better in the original when he didn't have a voice to sound like a parody.

He's also still has a good character arc and probably the best motivations of any character in the game, he's very likable, but he's painful to listen to.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ ERA. Are some of these replies serious? What the fuck?! This place is so racist sometimes I'm not surprised anymore. Lame as XIII was Sazh was a damn good black character. Barret has always bothered me because of the way he's potrayed. In the original VII even the way he talked was offensive sometimes. This one still has some of the problems that he had.

This is the gaming side after all, why am I not surprised to see certain people tell other people they should get over it or pretend they dont know what the stereotype is?

Anything to defend a game that you like.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel l bad for the VA, he's black and his performance is being called Tropic Thunder. He has some FANTASTIC scenes.

Knightsoftheround

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 7, 2020
I won't comment on the racist stuff as I don't know enough about it so not for me to say anything on it.

What I will say is that I really liked his character and whilst he did so the angry shout thing a lot he did have a lot of subtle moments as well. He was probably my favourite character by the end of the game

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
He might be angry but he does fucking care about the planet and he does have a lot of good personality traits. So that one trait, him being very angry, does make it racist? I don't buy it. He's not angry for no fucking reason or just for the sake of it or for the sake of hitting some tropes.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really shitty post. Yikes indeed.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
What are the drastic changes in the game? I've played through it completely and I only saw added stuff. Everything else was basically 1:1 down to the tiniest details from the original.
What I remember
Shinra are using Avalanche to make the bombs. Shinra Tower is much different too and they removed the scene where the team is captured and Sephiroth kills everyone and there's a a trail of blood everywhere. Red XIII isn't in the same cage as Aeris either. There's also some scenes like like meeting Aeris for the first time which is a quiet scener where she stands out compared to the chaos, and in the new one the whispers crash the scene. Some of these changes are ok and some not so much.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
You might want to review that post of yours...

Why? I'm just asking. I'm not black and i don't know how a black man feels seeing a Char like Barret.

I'm just asking what has to change for a Char. like Barret to be accepted as a black without feeling racist. Or better, is it possible to potray an angry loud man while being black in media?

I'm in no way diminishing OPs concern.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But he's not only a big angry person. He's shown to be a great, caring father that fights for great ideals.

And he's clearly to more socially political character in the game, which is great.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I was very conflicted on this while playing the game. On the one hand, I find he speaks most of the uncomfortable truths about a lot of things and he's a lovable character, but on the other hand, they hung way too much on the initial portrayal of angry black dude and the added fidelity makes it even worse at times. The over the top voice acting doesn't help this very uncomfortable feeling.
It's a mixed bag for me, and I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for having that legitimate concern.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I feel l bad for the VA, he's black and his performance is being called Tropic Thunder. He has some FANTASTIC scenes.

It's not his fault, he did a fantastic job with what he has been given, with given being the part where the problem comes. Again, Barret isn't supposed to talk like Mr.T, this is a liberty the english localization took in the original AND in Remake.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Jesus Christ ERA. Are some of these replies serious? What the fuck?! This place is so racist sometimes I'm not surprised anymore. Lame as XIII was Sazh was a damn good black character. Barret has always bothered me because of the way he's potrayed. In the original VII even the way he talked was offensive sometimes. This one still has some of the problems that he had.

This is the gaming side after all, why am I not surprised to see certain people tell other people they should get over it or pretend they dont know what the stereotype is?

Anything to defend a game that you like.

People that think Sazh is a good character should look at scenes with him in Japanese. He is horrible. SE has a long way to go.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
What? They turned away from the whole Mr. T thing in this game and they did a great job of doing so. Barret has always been angry, but at least they made him more human. More of a realistic character. If you've gone through the entire game, you should know by now that he's a character with many emotions and while a man with a gun for an arm can be fucking terrifying, he has a soft side too. All the stuff with him and Marlene is great. I'm not seeing "racist caricature" at all. The localization team and the writers did a fantastic job with him and he even felt like the main character of the story a bunch of times.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I felt like I was the only one bothered by this.

Yes, he ends up being likeable and whatnot, but could they have just NOT made the ONE black main character super loud and angry?

If he looked like, say Sephiroth, would he still have that same personality?

Also the fact that he's kinda "childlike" in his black or white morality...I LOVED this game but Barrett was a big yikes from me.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Can't imagine there's too many black folks on Square Enix's localization team so this adherence to racial stereotypes is a fucked up non-surprise.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't think he was good at all. The Mr T voice acting didn't help at all. Also hated that he kept deferring to Cloud on missions and getting shushed by even Aerith even though he's supposed to be Avalanche's leader. Even when he tried to get his daughter who was kidnapped he gets shushed by some stranger. This is the progressive change everyone was talking about?