• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Barret has a very good reason for being so angry, it's all in his backstory. Don't wanna spoil to what it all leads up to but his anger isn't there for the purpose of a trope.

Deleted member 59

I found Barrett in FF7R to be charismatic. Dude would convince me to easily join Avalanche.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why they keep the Mr.T persona in the dub, that was an asspull from the original american translation not how he was supposed to be.

Barret ends up being alright in the second half IMO but it would have been way better if they didn't insist on that on the localization.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Did you actually play the game? He's only really angry at the enemies. Sure he raises his voice at allies but that doesn't mean he's actually angry. Hell even with Shinra employees who directly opposes him, he would compose himself and only shout at them in a way that makes sense for him to do.

Giru017

Oct 30, 2017
Malta
User banned (2 weeks): dismissing concerns around representation
The amount of rage this man generates inside me whenever he is on screen is insane. I haven't seen anything this hilariously racist in a AAA game since.... I don't even know when. Who the hell has angry black man and scary black man tropes in their games in 2020? Seriously. SE a global billion dollar conglomerate with all sorts of people working for them so I'm not going to buy the Japan excuse at all.

Because it doesn't matter if he's a black man, his character IS angry (because of the stuff happening to the planet) and he is PRETENDING to be scary (see his scenes with Marlene, his fear of heights, etc). Barret is a well written character (perhaps the best in FFVII:R), it's easy to see tropes when you look for them, but they've not only been faithful to his '97 character, they've much expanded on his other traits apart from Angry.
That said, yes, the voice acting can be a bit over the top, but that goes for essentially the entire cast and was the direction they were given. I'd recommend watching the interview with John Eric Bentley, the EN voice of Barret, and get to understand HIS motivations, feeling and take on the character before playing the "that's racist" card.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
His backstory kinda makes it natural though. Especially since they are the more extreme version of an already extremist group.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
But I do think it's a japanese thing... just like women in this game are mostly depicted as extra sensual, and verging on virginal, whenever the scenario needs it. It's gross, but I don't think I can expect better from SE. I love FF7 but it's definitely a bit too pervy, and yah, Barrett's characterization is often cringe and makes me uncomfortable. They'll have more chances to balance his personality as we go (I hope). I'm thinking about the Corel flashback. I hope he's not going to remain a loudmouth used for comic relief. It makes him look like a clown.

I'm part of the LGBTQ community and Andrea is also a stereotype of a gay man as per Hollywood's world, which is also often very offensive.
I definitely got gay vibes from Biggs tho.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have any games outlets commissioned any writing on the subject? This definitely feels like a topic I'd like to read a long-form piece on from the perspective of a black games writer, especially comparing '97 Barrett to '20 Barrett.
Waypoint Radio's Austin Walker has spoken about Barret in their podcast. Overall he seems to like the character but also has problems with him being loud and angry.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Urghhh...this OP has been trying to point this out in every single FF7R thread for some reason no matter how many argument people has made against it.

He has an arc and there's nuance to his characterization littered throughout with how he interact with different characters. I feel calling him a simple racist caricature with voice like a Tropic Thunder make it sound like he's angry all the time for no reason and ignore all the characters moments that he has.

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I like Barret and don't mind his voice. The thing that pisses me off is that every black character has to be either this tough scary black man or a comic relief type of joke character. See Naruto where B and the Raikage kinda fulfill both of these stereotypes. And Darui who is neither of those is well liked.

It's the prevalence of seeing it over and over again which annoys me. That black characters are only allowed to live as these one dimensional stereotypes.

FF7R get's a pass from me only because Barret actually has character and depth to him and defies some of these stereotypes. But that's just my opinion.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Barret being angry is like Tifa being all genki. It's all a facade, the way he copes to hide his depression and deep psychological trauma.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know why they keep the Mr.T persona in the dub, that was an asspull from the original american translation not how he was supposed to be.

Barret ends up being alright in the second half IMO but it would have been way better if they didn't insist on that on the localization.
Barret has to be one of the most butchered characters in translation. As someone who's played the original in English and Japanese the English completely ruined his character.

Dude is literally one of the most compassionate, caring characters in the game in the Japanese script.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I think the initial character design and everything about it in the OG is problematic at best. Here, they gave Barret sensitivity and self-awareness in a way he rarely exhibits in the OG. He is well-read, as shown by his knowledge of planetology books. Yeah he can be hot-headed and rash, but just because he's black doesn't mean that's racist. That isn't the only note of his character. He's a good father, and his belief in bettering the livelihoods of the slums and the poor is something I think a lot of us would love ourselves.

His english VA has very strong Robert Dowbey Jr in Tropic Thunder vibes except here it's not a joke or a social commentary.

But playing the full game (not finished yet) the character himself is decent if very cartoonish in his passionate behavior.

The blood of the planet speech during the opening level cracks me up due to how bad and on the nose it is. You kinda kill the metaphor when you explain it right away before the player even has the chance to think about it themself.

His English VA is black, not a white person wearing black face. I really fucking hate this observation. It totally distracts from the conversation.

ThisIsMyLife

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2020
England
In 20 years I've never, ever heard someone say Barrett is racist or it's racist that Barret is how he is?

He's very very passionate about being an eco-terrorist, and yes, sure he has hatred towards Shinra.

Also, OP, have you played the original game? Because he has the best backstory in the whole game.

Oct 25, 2017
His voice direction is absolutely awful in the game.

I need to hear more opinions from black folks on him because my inclination is that SE directed the voice actor to sound like what they think black men sound like, rather than letting the voice actor do work.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Character is very good.
The VO is way over the top in a very bad way, which is unfortunate cause the guy playing him is a good, long time voice actor.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that there's an in-universe reason for something problematic doesn't make it not problematic. Just like how the in-universe reason why Quiet is borderline naked doesn't fucking matter.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, people love these sorts of characters but I for the life can't understand why, they are textbook racist and awful.

I can't say if the character's racist or not until I see his development for myself. In any case, how I perceive it has no bearing on how another person of color might perceive it so even if I disagreed you wouldn't be any less right.

OP
OP
Chief Malik
Because it doesn't matter if he's a black man
Yes it does
planet) and he is PRETENDING to be scary (see his scenes with Marlene, his fear of heights, etc).
typical

easy to see tropes when you look for them, but they've not only been faithful to his '97 character, they've much expanded on his other traits apart from Angry.
That said, yes, the voice acting can be a bit over the top, but that goes for essentially the entire cast and was the direction they were given. I'd recommend watching the interview with John Eric Bentley, the EN voice of Barret, and get to understand HIS motivations, feeling and take on the character before playing the "that's racist" card.
I don't have to look for anything, it's extremely in your face and that man is doing a job and isn't the writers of the game who were obviously mimicking what they seen in blaxploitation films.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I think he is that Mr.T stereotype, but I checked German and Japanese out and he is way less screamy there.

Oct 25, 2017
People defending Barrett's depiction by pointing out that he's angry because of environmental issues or because of his backstory have it backwards. Squaresoft chose to make the angry, passionate environmental activist black because the angry black man trope was already in existence. Drawing on an existing racial trope emphasised that aspect of the character.

I do think they temper it a bit in the remake, especially by fleshing out his relationship with Marlene. But it's still there.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Him having a great arc and being a good character in many regards doesn't preclude him from also being a racist stereotype.
I think he was definitely a racist caricature in the original despite having some good scenes.

They tried to make him a more believable person in the remake, but I'm not sure what else they can do other than replace him with a new character people wouldn't want there. They can try toning down his anger even more, but he has a lot of anger because of Shinra and his past with them, and it'll be weird if it's not there in the remake.

But I do see why stereotypes being so prevalent sucks as well.

Oct 25, 2017
In 20 years I've never, ever heard someone say Barrett is racist or it's racist that Barret is how he is?

He's very very passionate about being an eco-terrorist, and yes, sure he has hatred towards Shinra.

Also, OP, have you played the original game? Because he has the best backstory in the whole game.

You've never heard someone call the OG Barret a racist caricature?

Nice bubble to live in.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Really no element in Barrett's character has to do with his ethnicity.
Not the goofiness, not the anger, none.
And what did in the 90s has now been refined, expanded and made him into a pretty deep and relatable character.

Truly Gargantuan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0 years I've never, ever heard someone say Barrett is racist or it's racist that Barret is how he is?
Even as a kid playing the original I knew Barret had some problematic stereotypes. This isn't a new discussion by any means at all. From the pre-release trailers I had some issues with Barrett's VA. The full game does a good job contextualizing Barret but it doesn't completely wash away the loud & angry & large black man stereotype.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Barret has been seen as problematic since OG FF7. Don't see how you could have followed the game ever and not seen that sentiment.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Barret has to be one of the most butchered characters in translation. As someone who's played the original in English and Japanese the English completely ruined his character.

Dude is literally one of the most compassionate, caring characters in the game in the Japanese script.

Even in the Spanish translation he wasn't Mr.T. I was surprised to see how bad they treated the character in the English localization and it sucks they did the same with Remake.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i didn't like his english voice, too stereotopical (even if he's voiced by a black man)

he sounds more natural in japanese IMO, he just has the voice of a big guy you hear a lot in their media

Oct 28, 2017
What are the drastic changes in the game? I've played through it completely and I only saw added stuff. Everything else was basically 1:1 down to the tiniest details from the original.

Oct 8, 2019

There's also the scene where he finds Marlene, and the scene where his in the destroyed remains of Sector 7 which are some of the best scenes in the entire game.

Barret's a vast improvement over what he was in the original game.

Shit's fucked for everyone, he's the angriest.

Shinra killed his wife, destroyed his town, and destroyed one of his hands. He also thought his best friend was dad, and raised his daughter as his own.

Sky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
UK
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns around racism; account in junior phase
I have not heard of this angry black man trope before. With that said, you're coming off as racist to me OP for assocaiting emotions to a race. Yikes..
Call it as it is - a personality trope, don't see the point of adding colour to it.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you've played the original FFVII, it adds more context. There's a reason he's so angry
He feels guilty as he blames himself for the destruction of his hometown.

I mean sure. That's all in the writing though. Like there's a reason Quiet wears no clothes, but that doesn't make the character not problematic.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
He's got a shitty voice. As I got through the game I was wondering if it would ever grow on me but it didn't. I'm black so when I hear voices like that I do wonder if people realize theres a different between passion and agression and just sounding like Mr. T or some shit. The voice is subpar but at times it fit well when he was being more somber. By the end of the game I tolerated it, but its easily the worst voice in the game for me personally. How he acted was mostly okay, but how he sounded was fucking stupid.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
They should definitely tone down the Mr. T-ness in his pronounciation in my opinion but otherwise the character itself is portrayed amazingly well in the remake.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of rage this man generates inside me whenever he is on screen is insane. I haven't seen anything this hilariously racist in a AAA game since.... I don't even know when. Who the hell has angry black man and scary black man tropes in their games in 2020? Seriously. SE a global billion dollar conglomerate with all sorts of people working for them so I'm not going to buy the Japan excuse at all.

What a load of crap. Barrett is depicted as more than just an "angry black man". He comes across as gruff but he's a strong charismatic leader who cares about his friends and is passionate about saving the planet. The fact that you're taking one facet of him and ignoring the other traits of his personality says more about you than the creators. If you don't like the way he's acted then you're entitled to your opinion but to say he's an "ignorant racist caricature" is being disingenuous at best.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
By the end of the game I thought he was actually probably the best written character, but the first half of the game definitely goes for a minstrel characterization, and yeah, it sucks

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I wish there was more nuance to the direction of his dub, but a lot of POC characters in Japanese media are basically stereotypes. It's not an excuse but, just, not very surprising.
I found him grating at first but he's more goofy now, and I do enjoy his scenes with Marlene.

Truly Gargantuan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have not heard of this angry black man trope before. With that said, you're coming off as racist to me OP for assocaiting emotions to a race. Yikes..
Call it as it is - a personality trope, don't see the point of adding colour to it.
This is ignorant af.
1) What does you never hearing of the stereotype have to do with it? It still exists even if you don't know if does.
2) Calling someone racist for calling out a racist stereotype. This is some classic deflection and is a tactic that is usually employed by a certain type of person.
3) What you're doing is low-key trying to pull an "I don't see color" card which is the highest grade of bullshit.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I thought the same as you OP. I was actually surprised how all in they went with his original "Mr T" influenced characterisation.

However. That's Barrett. That is a big part of his personality from the original game. It wouldn't have felt as genuine without him being like this, but I'm from a White Passing ethnic group (Turk) so I can't talk about what's right or wrong from a position of privilege.

However let's consider that the teacher from the orphanage is Black and she is portrayed appropriately. Same with little Moggie from the Children's playground.

The blood of the planet speech during the opening level cracks me up due to how bad and on the nose it is. You kinda kill the metaphor when you explain it right away before the player even has the chance to think about it themself.
To be fair I think that was fully intentional from the writers, because of how Cloud and Jessie look at each other knowingly while Barrett goes off on his rant.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately, the way Barret is portrayed was a conscious creative decision. Could he have had the same arc he has without so thoroughly playing into these tropes? I'd assume so. So it's worth calling into question why he was directed like this.