• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
I guess they just rolled out an update where they get rid of the entire list of songs in your library sorted by most recently added (I used this nearly exclusively). They've also made it so that the artist section is ordered seemingly at random instead of alphabetical.

Looking at all the recent reviews on the app store shows a lot of other people feeling similarly. I'm hoping they revert this soon because it feels basically unusable for me right now.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I got the update but the artist section is alphabetical and playlists in library are still sorted by the most recently used. I don't like the design change though.

OP
OP
23qwerty

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
I got the update but the artist section is alphabetical and playlists in library are still sorted by the most recently used.
Do you actually follow your artists? I've never really used that feature so they're all just randomized in my list. I also don't use the playlist feature all that much, preferring to just play from the song list (which is completely gone now)

Skavi

Feb 13, 2018
It's fucking garbage. 2nd worst thing to happen after the lock screen artwork change, though I think that might have been iOS fuckery. Not sure.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Scroll to the top, then click filter. At there, you can choose order alphabetically

Edit: apparently you need to follow the artist in order show up in the list now...? They are trying to push the follow function isn't it

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I hate it too. I have a hard time navigating it now. The old setup was totally fine.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
It's fucking hot garbage. As long as Apple Music still has a student discount I'll be switching over tonight.

OP
OP
23qwerty

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Scroll to the top, then click filter. At there, you can choose order alphabetically

Edit: apparently you need to follow the artist in order show up in the list now...? They are trying to push the follow function isn't it
Yeah I'm not particularly interested in going through and following hundreds of artists spotify, hopefully they revert that. I can live with hiding the song list I guess but I'm gonna need an alphabetical artist list.
I've never even considered switching to Apple Music until now, but I'll give them a few days to fix this.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
it wasn't just IOS, but yeah it absolutely sucks. They keep making annoying decisions that make me want to move to apple music.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks for people that used spotify like that I guess.

I haven't been able to use the Artist/Album/Song shit since I joined up. I instantly hit the maxes on artist/album the first day and they've never upped the limit.

So I just search for whatever album/artist I want to listen to.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
You didn't hear? the latest iPhone update requires you purchase a $300 stand to listen to music.

No the stand doesn't have speakers or charge your phone. It does rotate 90 degrees tho!

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Your saved songs are now in a playlist called Liked Songs. You can still filter the playlist in an alphabetical order, and shuffle them.

The main difference is now that if you save an album, the songs aren't added to liked songs. You have to select the option to like all songs in the album for them to appear in the liked songs playlist.

Here's a thread with a rundown: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/Getting-to-know-the-new-Your-Library/ta-p/4766771
This. I actually really enjoy this update. A lot more streamlined

moeppel

Oct 26, 2017
Your saved songs are now in a playlist called Liked Songs. You can still filter the playlist in an alphabetical order, and shuffle them.

The main difference is now that if you save an album, the songs aren't added to liked songs. You have to select the option to like all songs in the album for them to appear in the liked songs playlist.

Here's a thread with a rundown: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/Getting-to-know-the-new-Your-Library/ta-p/4766771

that is actually a good change. always hated that if I like an album all songs go into the liked playlist.

OP
OP
23qwerty

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017

Well that sheds a touch of light on things, but not automatically "liking songs" when you save an album is a bit shit, as is needing to follow every single artist in your library if you want alphabetical artists.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing changed if you solely listen to custom playlists, right? I haven't noticed anything different personally.

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a visual person when it comes to my music library, so I really dislike the Liked Songs split. Would have rather had the "show complete albums only" toggle they were also a/b testing for a while.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that sheds a touch of light on things, but not automatically "liking songs" when you save an album is a bit shit, as is needing to follow every single artist in your library if you want alphabetical artists.

I like it. There are tons of albums I love to listen through in one sitting, that has several songs I don't really want to get when shuffling my main list of saved songs.

I've also always created playlists with the bands I like with all of their good albums in their entirety, so most of these changes don't affect me.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
this is the smallest thing, but we listen to my phone at work all day (hardwood floor installer) and weve been going through in reverse alphabetical order, and now you cannot reverse alphabet and Im pissed

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017

It's so annoying. I like looking at other albums while i'm in the middle of listening to another, and saving it for later. Now I have to drag the songs over instead of just checking a box.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Shit like this makes me glad that GPM hasn't updated its interface in years lol. Too bad that's being killed.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always love reading the reactions whenever a company touches literally any part of their UX.

Last edited:

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I love that they've gone back to how the liked/starred playlist worked way back when it launched. I very rarely want my entire saved album library on shuffle as there's a bunch of albums in there that I don't want to listen to on a regular basis but want to save for when I want to listen to them.

The method that's just been replaced meant I had to keep a separate Favourites playlist, and I couldn't just like tracks as if I liked one track from an artist it would spam up the album and artist view, where as now I can save the album's I want, follow the artists I want and have a playlist I can quickly add liked tracks to, especially when I do most my listening in the car so can't easily add to a personal playlist on the fly.

Only issue is I'm having to clear out the new Liked playlist as it was filled with all my saved albums.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Wish Spotify could get their apps up to par. I love their service, but using it can be very frustrating.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
This new UI is bad. Almost Apple Music bad. I can't stand Spotify's podcast interface, and it's supposedly something they worked hard on. If this wasn't the only service that worked on console, I'd cancel.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Seriously wtf happened?

How hard was it to realize most people just shuffle all the songs they saved and wanted to keep that over anything else?

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Got a screenshot? I don't see any update in the app store.

edit: scratch that, it updated within the app.

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
23qwerty

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Got a screenshot? I don't see any update in the app store.
It looks like it was an update they rolled out today, because yeah the last app store update was 3 weeks ago or something.
This new UI is bad. Almost Apple Music bad. I can't stand Spotify's podcast interface, and it's supposedly something they worked hard on. If this wasn't the only service that worked on console, I'd cancel.
oof yeah I can't cancel it for Apple Music, I use it too much with chromecast and PS4
Seriously wtf happened?

How hard was it to realize most people just shuffle all the songs they saved and wanted to keep that over anything else?
Speaking of which maybe they should have fixed their abysmal shuffle algorithm instead of wasting their time with this update.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really don't like menus that use horizontal scrolling/carousels, they don't show enough information at once. So much wasted screen space with the section titles.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
everyday i pray that spotify doesnt mess with the web player
i literally never use the app anymore because its unusable now

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I recently switched back to IOS, and I seem to remember being able to shuffle the songs in your 'albums' category, and you can't remove individual songs unless it's in a playlist. The albums you add to your library don't automatically add that artist to your 'artists' list, which is just mind-numbingly bad design. It's so cumbersome.