• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Runar x Y'shtola is the only straight couple I can stand. Alright I can add the Chais too.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but they don't confirm it so it's 🤷‍♀️

G'raha Tia seems more like you're just his best friend and his hero, but you could read it as a crush if you want I guess

G'raha's almost even more thirsty than Aymeric, felt like he was confessing his love to the WoL more than once during the story lol.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely are. You don't replicate some of the most romantic scenes and couple traits in the series for two characters without there being romance between both.

I wish they would have been more direct about it(I'm still hoping for the festival to recreate the VIII Garden Festival) but overall I knew it was romantic especially with the ending.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
The one sidequest in Southern Thanalan where you chase off people spying on bathing Miqo'te women has the quest giver flirt with you at the end regardless of your gender. If your PC is female she even adds in something like "bet you didn't think I swung that way?" at the end.

Also I've always been under the impression that all the Elezen in the game are bisexual.

Oh yes, I forgot about that one! It's been a long while since ARR.

Lol it's a game where the most explicit romance was between an Elezen and a Dragon. Do we even know if Thancred and Minfilia wasn't one sided?

Thancred and Minfillia is a older brother/younger sister relationship. He's known her since she was a child and protected her since then.

You can read a bit more about his side in the side stories.

na.finalfantasyxiv.com

Tales from the Shadows | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone

Official community site for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd see this story through to completion if the wait time for Eden's Verse Fulmination wasn't like 30 minutes for me...

But yeah most every NPC character in the game is player-sexual and even the ones who aren't could probably be easily shipped with someone of the same gender.

I legit wouldn't be surprised if the last expansion just features dating sim elements to bring everything full circle.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd see this story through to completion if the wait time for Eden's Verse Fulmination wasn't like 30 minutes for me...

But yeah most every NPC character in the game is player-sexual and even the ones who aren't could probably be easily shipped with someone of the same gender.

I legit wouldn't be surprised if the last expansion just features dating sim elements to bring everything full circle.
I would be so down. There's plenty of minor characters that make me go "damn she cute."

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Every opportunity you get to tease Alphinaud about Estinien comes off like he's badly concealing a gigantic crush.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Mega gay, but the baiting is dumb. SE wants credit for having LGBT representation, but doesn't want to rock the boat. They don't get half points IMO. Which is weird because a) gay marriage has been a thing in game since day one and b) there are canonically gay side characters.

One of the more amusing ones is the gay couple you meet in Bronze Lake who eloped... not because they're gay, because that's totally cool in Eorzea, but because they were a Hyur/Miqo couple. Eorzea is hella racist.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yshtola heavy flirts with WoL but I think her and Runar's thing is pretty clear and cut after 5.3.

Part of me feels they went hard with the Runar stuff so people would stop asking them to let players marry Y'shtola in the game. People still ask despite them saying years ago that it won't ever happen because then it ties them up on being able to have any fate for any character. If they decide they want to actually kill a character, they don't want people to be upset they killed their in game spouse

I don't like Runar either but happy Y'shtola gets something out of all the hell she's been through since the end of ARR. And imo if they walk back and add dating sim elements for characters in 6.0 onward or even the final expansion, they would totally backpedal on Runar and that would be pretty shitty. Unless they kept the thing to only minor and side characters which would just annoy most people wanting it in the first place

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Part of me feels they went hard with the Runar stuff so people would stop asking them to let players marry Y'shtola in the game. People still ask despite them saying years ago that it won't ever happen because then it ties them up on being able to have any fate for any character. If they decide they want to actually kill a character, they don't want people to be upset they killed their in game spouse

I don't like Runar either but happy Y'shtola gets something out of all the hell she's been through since the end of ARR. And imo if they walk back and add dating sim elements for characters in 6.0 onward or even the final expansion, they would totally backpedal on Runar and that would be pretty shitty. Unless they kept the thing to only minor and side characters which would just annoy most people wanting it in the first place

Honestly Y'shtola, Thancred, and Urianger are the only major NPCs I never really felt were all that into the WoL. I guess you could extrapolate vague hints but in general she acts way differently towards Runar than the WoL which kinda cemented the latter as being playful teasing and nothing more.

For Thancred I dunno if he has different dialogue for a female WoL but for me he seemed laser focused on Minfilia and random flings, while Urianger has been flying that Moenbryda flag.

Basically if they added dating sim stuff it'd have to be like Harvest Moon where some characters have a "rival" for affections. And considering Runar is a ray of sunshine, romancing Y'shtola would feel very, very mean.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Y'Shtola is a scholar who works 100% of the time, Runar is a religious zealot who never leaves his village, and also they live on different planets. It's a terrible ship.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Lol it's a game where the most explicit romance was between an Elezen and a Dragon. Do we even know if Thancred and Minfilia wasn't one sided?
Pretty sure Thancred himself shut down any romantic interpretation of their relationship. People don't realize it, but Thancred is waaaaaay older than Minfilia and has been looking after her since she was young. He's basically her father figure/older brother.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Thancred himself shut down any romantic interpretation of their relationship. People don't realize it, but Thancred is waaaaaay older than Minfilia and has been looking after her since she was young. He's basically her father figure/older brother.

He's only 5 years older so it's not that huge of an age gap but yeah, he has very explicitly called out his love for her as familial

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Y'shtola, Thancred, and Urianger are the only major NPCs I never really felt were all that into the WoL. I guess you could extrapolate vague hints but in general she acts way differently towards Runar than the WoL which kinda cemented the latter as being playful teasing and nothing more.

For Thancred I dunno if he has different dialogue for a female WoL but for me he seemed laser focused on Minfilia and random flings, while Urianger has been flying that Moenbryda flag.

Basically if they added dating sim stuff it'd have to be like Harvest Moon where some characters have a "rival" for affections. And considering Runar is a ray of sunshine, romancing Y'shtola would feel very, very mean.

Considering Y'shtola is like the number one most requested, especially since Minfillia bowed out loooong ago, I don't see a situation where they would do it, knowing people would just be upset they didn't go all in. which is one big reason I don't think they would ever do it. Characters like Y'shtola and Urianger are not ones who express their real desires and interests that much in comparison to characters like Alisae, Alphinaud, or Lyse. So there's always something they could write to make some sense. But yeah even if I do not like Runar, doing this NOW after she teased to return the sentiments and to one day return to the village would be really harsh. What she just shows up much later and says "sorry, what I MEANT was uhhhh" or something

I am also sure the devs see it this way too. That they either go In or don't at all

Uh, for some reason I was convinced Ascilia was way more younger than him.

Thancred is only 32. Minfillia was 27

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look at wiki
"Japanese video game"

look at the void

Yep, just a another ship bait. Fan arts community catering is serious business.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Urianger's just a big nerd who read too many fairy tales and prophecies so he thinks that's how people talk.

In ARR I was so irritated every time he spoke because I would have to read his text multiple times to understand what the hell he was trying to say.

By ShB I was used to it though.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
How old is Urianger supposed to be?

Not adding his time on the First, 29.

To which he doesn't look old, he just acts old.

In ARR I was so irritated every time he spoke because I would have to read his text multiple times to understand what the hell he was trying to say.

By ShB I was used to it though.

You know, is he that in the Japanese, German, and French versions? Or is that part uniquely in the English version? Cause the Shakesperian way everyone speaks AFAIK is exclusive to the English version to hearken back to FF12/Tactics/Vagrant Story.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
worth noting that y'shtola does lie about her age. she claims to be 23 but she has to be at least like 32
the flavor text and lore book says she stopped showing age at 23. She started with Matoya at age 7 and worked with her for 10 years. Then she joined the archons at some point. If she was 18 before the calamity, she WOULD be 23 in ARR. Its unknown but she could be anywhere from 23-30 not counting her time in the first

there's a hint that all the scions can use magic to halt their aging. Which is why only Thancred looks older now, since he is now unable to use magic since HW

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
They straight up reference Squall & Rinoa's relationship for them, so, without them going "hey these women are lesbian" it's about as confirmed as it can be.

To put it another way, if either of the characters were male, everyone would know they are together, 100%.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
the flavor text and lore book says she stopped showing age at 23. She started with Matoya at age 7 and worked with her for 10 years. Then she joined the archons at some point. If she was 18 before the calamity, she WOULD be 23 in ARR. Its unknown but she could be anywhere from 23-30 not counting her time in the first

there's a hint that all the scions can use magic to halt their aging. Which is why only Thancred looks older now, since he is now unable to use magic since HW

Their time on the First had no effect on their biological ages on the Source.

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
If not mentioned before
Mitron, Gaia's old partner was implied to use feminine pronouns before the sundering, so yeah hella gay

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
They're absolutely gay as hell. FFXIV just has an aversion to explicitly shipping main cast characters together.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Legit cant find the source atm, but i think in Spanish they use feminine pronouns for Mitron and in Japanese they never specify their gender
Oh
The Wiki states that the name in Japanese is Artemishia and Spanish its Artemisia. (As a closer translation compared to Artemis). Doesn't say anything about pronouns so take that as you will.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
English Mitron's definitely male, the Akademia Anyder lore about them uses he/him

It also should be noted that Koji Fox who heads localization is also part of the Lore/World Team as well. While there has been mistakes in the past, it's more often than not good to take it at it's word.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Oh
The Wiki states that the name in Japanese is Artemishia and Spanish its Artemisia. (As a closer translation compared to Artemis). Doesn't say anything about pronouns so take that as you will.
Which is (addding onto this)
A reference to Ultimecia, who was named Artemisia in Spanish and Arutimeshia in Japan, which was likely taken from Artemis, which is what the english uses

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
Oh
Hmmm
20170905_083913.jpg

English Mitron's definitely male, the Akademia Anyder lore about them uses he/him

English Haurchefant is 500% less horny and we all know thats not canon