• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Generation 1, 2, 3 have been remade so it is logical to expect a Gen 4 remake next. If we're following a pattern here. I think Nintendo should GameFreak next year off as we don't need a new Pokémon every year but that's not how business works.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
There's been enough direct hints that this is the betting favorite, yes

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I think the time and energy that would be spent on another remake could be better utilized making Gen 9 as expansive and fulfilling as my memories of Gen 4 instead.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
You hit the nail on the head, OP.

Should Gen 4 remakes come out next year? No, Gamefreak clearly needs more time to make these games as good as they can be.

Are Diamond and Pearl remakes going to get pushed out the door in 2020 anyway? Probably.

My one hope is that because the new anime isn't directly following the games anymore, it'll change up the Pokemon marketing machine and give Gamefreak some more breathing room between releases.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'll be next year since Game Freak & Co are struggling with HD development and the Pokemon Company is focused on their mobile endeavors

But it'll definitely show up in 2021 or early 2022. That or Sword 2 & Shield 2

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If they're not next it's because Ultra Sword and Shield are 2020 otherwise I think 2021 Gen 4 remakes are very likely. 2021 would be it's 15th anniversary and the series' 25th. It makes too much sense for them to be 2021

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The one good thing about Gen 4 remakes is Diamond and Pearl's main issue was the regional dex, they already had a decent amount of content. So if they still just adapt those unlike HGSS adapted Crystal they'll be top-tier games. Hopefully.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
If they do a gen 4 remake, I wonder if it will be tile-for-tile or if they'll redo the geography to be more natural. Personally I'm hoping for the latter. I hope it looks more like Swsh and less like Let's Go.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't think it'll be next year since Game Freak & Co are struggling with HD development and the Pokemon Company is focused on their mobile endeavors

But it'll definitely show up in 2021 or early 2022. That or Sword 2 & Shield 2

I would personally prefer a direct sequel to Sword & Shield that fixes the issues I have with the game. Mainly how the game wasn't challenging, the plot being non-existent with lack of conflict, how the game holds your hand (especially in the games earliest hours).

I'll give the game props with introducing the Wild Area invoking that sense of wonder of exploring and collecting Pokemon, and I wished the game was more like that.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take a look at the cut Pokemon list and pay close attention to Gen 4.

Yes we are getting gen 4 remake soon.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
2021 or later if they don't want it rushed like Sword and Shield.
This. Just give your games room to breathe TPC/Game Freak. Pokemon titles still continue to sell. I don't understand the rush to get one out every single year. It's really frustrating it leads to rushed products like Sword/Shield.

The battle frontier project has started!

The distortion world project has started!
Like daggers to my heart.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I would personally prefer a direct sequel to Sword & Shield that fixes the issues I have with the game. Mainly how the game wasn't challenging, the plot being non-existent with lack of conflict, how the game holds your hand (especially in the games earliest hours).

I'll give the game props with introducing the Wild Area invoking that sense of wonder of exploring and collecting Pokemon, and I wished the game was more like that.
My favorite part is how the stakes are CONSTANTLY being raised, and everyone just tells you not to worry about it, go fight a gym leader instead.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I am both eager for and scared for the eventual Gen 5 remake. Gen 5 is my favorite gen and I really hope to see it treated well in a remake one day.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
You know what, I'm feeling gutsy. Gamefreak will do Gen 5 next! Why else would the legendaries of Unova be hidden in the game data but not the Gen 4 legendaries? Bookmark this post.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
If they continue following the pattern they've set since Gen 3, yeah.

They always do remakes of a previous Gen when they do a Pokemon game on new hardware.

GBA --> Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald --> Firered/Leafgreen
DS --> Diamond/Pearl/Platinum --> HeartGold/SoulSilver
3DS --> X/Y --> Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
You hit the nail on the head, OP.

Should Gen 4 remakes come out next year? No, Gamefreak clearly needs more time to make these games as good as they can be.

Are Diamond and Pearl remakes going to get pushed out the door in 2020 anyway? Probably.

My one hope is that because the new anime isn't directly following the games anymore, it'll change up the Pokemon marketing machine and give Gamefreak some more breathing room between releases.
are you expecting them to make the remake of gen 4 look like Shield/Sword? Cause I sure as hell ain't overworld wise. I wouldn't be surprised if the camera and world is like pokemon lets go. Don't be surprised if it doesn't have more than 400-500 pokemon

Nov 1, 2017
So... fewer Pokemon than the original, more handholding, idiot-proofed dungeons, D/P regional dex, and no GTS? Sounds great! If we're lucky they'll even hand you a legendary halfway though the game again. :D

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
My favorite part is how the stakes are CONSTANTLY being raised, and everyone just tells you not to worry about it, go fight a gym leader instead.

That really bothered me.

And I swear, if that Hao-clone comes up and handholds me through another tutorial, I'm going to toss him into the nearest wheat field. Really, is it that hard to GIVE players the option to skip the tutorial?

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You'd think so, but I'm not sure if Game Freak are capable of making proper caves like Mt. Coronet anymore. Or interesting routes in general. Pokemon regions have been hallways for the last few generations...

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have been waiting years for a gen 4 remake, so much so that I have already pre-planned a team in the event it happens.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
All sign point to it, IMO.

1) Masuda's comment about no more Lets Go game being in development. We can scratch that one off the list.

2) The rumors we heard about gen 4 pokemon merchandising earlier.

4) Not expecting a third version of sword because: (SWSH spoilers)
Unlike all the other "base" pokemon games, the third legendary already plays a prominent role in the story. So I'm expecting a one and done deal like X/Y.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This, after experiencing the dungeons and routes in recent gens, i don't think i want them to do the remake.
ORAS and Let's Go had the same maps. The world design would be fine in the remakes. They would have to do more work and make an entirely new game to fuck with Sinnoh's map and at that point it wouldn't be worth it

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
ORAS and Let's Go had the same maps. The world design would be fine in the remakes. They would have to do more work and make an entirely new game to fuck with Sinnoh's map and at that point it wouldn't be worth it

So you think the remakes will be very different from Sword and Shield in terms of map design for the dungeons and routes and will be more of a faithfull remake of Sinnoh? I hope so but I'm not counting on that.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So you think the remakes will be very different from Sword and Shield in terms of map design for the dungeons and routes and will be more of a faithfull remake of Sinnoh? I hope so but I'm not counting on that.
Yeah there's no reason for it not to be if Let's Go, the "casualized" version of Gen 1/Kanto, managed to keep the world design in tact.

My issue with Gen 4 remakes would be if they were too faithful. Particularly to Diamond and Pearl which were the issues with ORAS as they ran back ideas and changes that Emerald had. Like the possibility of bringing back HMs are more likely than them making all of Sinnoh hallways

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Hard to imagine Pokemon not coming out on holidays rather than early in the year

I don't expect them to keep western release 'enhancements' such as a spring launch.

I skipped Gen 4. What did I miss?
These:
Contests, following Pokemon, post-game landmass with a bunch of National Dex creatures, Battle Frontier, actual dungeons...

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
whatever happens, gamefreak absolutely needs to NOT release a game next year.

Sw/Sh sold a fuckton, so there's no reason why they shouldn't get longer dev time on the next game.

They've released 4 mainline pokemon games in the last 4 years. what other AAA studio does that???

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I am both eager for and scared for the eventual Gen 5 remake. Gen 5 is my favorite gen and I really hope to see it treated well in a remake one day.

Me too.

I really didn't like what they did with ORAS, so I would say I'm more scared than eager at this point. And that's putting aside the dilemma of whether they're remaking the first game or the sequel. With how GF pretended Emerald didn't exist that leads me to believe they'll adapt B1W1.

In a perfect world, I would want B1W1 remade with all of B2W2's additions.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
whatever happens, gamefreak absolutely needs to NOT release a game next year.

Sw/Sh sold a fuckton, so there's no reason why they shouldn't get longer dev time on the next game.

They've released 4 mainline pokemon games in the last 4 years. what other AAA studio does that???
It's a good thought, and I absolutely agree with you. But Pokemon has sold a ton in the past and has rarely missed a year (2015 is the most recent without a 'mainline' Game Freak entry, I think). They're gonna keep pumping these out and print that money. But man, imagine the world where they don't have to keep to this rhythm...

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It should get one, but they clearly need to step away from Game Freak being involved in the remakes.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Let's go 2! would make for a nice counter to the next gen system launches next year, along with BotW 2

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I extremely hope not given the stat of Game Freak currently. They cannot handle releasing these games every year and maintaining any level of quality.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I hope they do the OST justice and get those jazzy chill vibes perfect.

Don't fuck up Mt. Coronet too GF. Sinnoh is an awesome region. It doesn't need streamlining.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they do the OST justice and get those jazzy chill vibes perfect.

Don't fuck up Mt. Coronet too GF. Sinnoh is an awesome region. It doesn't need streamlining.

Kids getting lost in Mt. Coronet was the reason GF started moving in a more linear direction with their games. There is no way it isn't getting streamlined lol.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Its probably what will come next, though tbh i never really liked Sinnoh all that much, the starters were ok, but i didnt love any one of them and it felt like a substantial downgrade from gen3 where all 3 starters are in my top 3 of their respective type.
At least Shinx will be catchable earlygame again, which would be much appreciated.

Kinda wondering though.
What part of the region could be made into a wild area ish thing ? Love the one in SWSH, and seeing how they itterate on it without waiting for Gen 9 would be nice.

I skipped Gen 4. What did I miss?
A region where if you didnt pick the fire starter(which was the second fire/fighting starter, and vastly inferior to the first one) you options for fire pokemon were 1 legendary, arceus and rotom with their fire forms and the ponyta line.

Yes, im still salty about my favorite type getting shafted even 10+ years later.