• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm on the fence with my washable Christmas themed face masks. I mean... surely I'm not going to need it next Christmas...right?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Store it away with the Christmas decorations.

You should wear them every year when you're sick with the flu or a cold or whatever anyway.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Masks are not going away immediately after the virus is subdued in the same way that life didn't go back to the way things were on September 10th 2001. Public health is now in the spotlight and will continue to be for the rest of our lives. Expect private property and workplaces to mandate them for cold and flu season.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Nah you never know when you might need it plus I don't think anyone will care if you're out there wearing a Christmas themed mask so long as you are wearing one

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, no. Wash them and store them away. Pull them out for the winter season. They should become a normal part of the flu season.

COVID ain't going away, anyways. The vaccine might protect you once you get it but it isn't going to be a 100% thing, and you can still be a carrier for any future mutations of it.

Be responsible.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I got a Halloween mask with bats on it that I still wear occasionally. I figured it's appropriate regardless of the season since COVID came from bats.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I say keep them (though I wouldn't have bought masks for only a month). You can use them next year still if you get sick. Masks really are more about keeping you from spreading than protecting you anyhow, so it'll be something nice you can do for other people if you've got a cold or the flu.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just dump them. Mask requirements will be gone in less than a year.

Have we as a society learned nothing about good cold/flu prevention? Just because mask requirements will likely be gone doesn't mean the need for them goes away. That's the kind of thinking that causes illness to spread to begin with.

We should all be shifting to using masks during cold/flu season. It's courteous and helps prevent the spread of all sorts of viruses.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Keep them, they take up zero space and there aren't any guarantees you'll be vaccinated in 2021.

Once the pandemic is in the rear view mirror, I will probably never go through an airport again without a mask. In retrospect, I've gotten sick in the past every 1/4 times I've traveled through an airport.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Keep! I think its time to start normalizing wearing masks if folks have a cold or whatever in the future.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Keep them in a drawer and use them for household tasks or DIY projects where wearing a mask is beneficial.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Getting a flu shot seems more prudent than clinging to some highly seasonal masks in anticipation of getting sick in between November 21-December 24.

A flu shot doesn't cover all strains. As somebody who gets sick with it every year without fail regardless of getting a flu shot or not, this is the first year where I haven't gotten sick at all because most people are wearing masks.

It's better to take as many preventative measures as possible. And COVID isn't going to go away. It's just going to mutate into different strains just like the flu does. We might stomp out the worst of it but you are taking a big risk going without a mask even after this pandemic is "over".

I personally would rather get my vaccines and wear a mask every year during the cold/flu season for the rest of my life to make sure I don't get others sick rather than take the gamble and get others sick.

A large number of people won't even wash their hands with regularity.

Ugh that is so true.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Just save them. Toss them in with the Christmas stuff and wash them when you pull them out next year. Or just continue wearing them and be festive all year.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
If you throw it away, it's war on Christmas. If you keep it, it's war on American liberty / muh freedoms.

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
Have we as a society learned nothing about good cold/flu prevention?

Nope.

Hell, where I live in the US, people aren't even wearing masks right now. We had to take the cat to the vet last week and while they have a "one person in the waiting area at a time" rule (they just make you wait in your car until you get called in), the entire vet's office was maskless except for me - both staff and other pet owners.

Anyway, wasn't the projected timeline for widespread vaccination something like November next year? And didn't they just announce we are already way behind schedule to the point where it's now estimated to be something like May/June 2022? Why does everyone act like because we have a vaccine available it'll all be over in a couple months - this is going to drag on for AT LEAST the entirety of next year.

Last edited:

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

Hell, where I live in the US, people aren't even wearing masks right now. We had to take the cat to the vet last week and while they have a "one person in the waiting area at a time" rule (they just make you wait in your car until you get called in), the entire vet's office was maskless except for me - both staff and other pet owners.

Anyway, wasn't the projected timeline for widespread vaccination something like November next year? And didn't they just announce we are already way behind schedule to the point where it's now estimated to be something like May/June 2022? Why does everyone act like because we have a vaccine available it'll all be over in a couple months - this is going to drag on for AT LEAST the entirety of next year.

Exactly. This is something we will be living with for a long time. And we still don't know the long-term effectiveness the vaccine, so it's important for us to do what we can to reduce the spread of it as much as possible.

Those people at that office are absolutely stupid considering animals can also catch it and spread the virus. What kind of medical facility are they? I would not trust them to take care of any pet.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I honestly would just save them for for next year even if covid is somehow gone by then (not at this rate). Good to wear while out to avoid the flu and cold and also keeps your face warm when outside.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the secret is is that maybe wearing face masks in public is the correct way to be.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People who are saying ditch it because there will not be mask requirements...fucking hell. What is the harm in keeping a mask and using it when you are ill? Have people learned nothing from all of this?

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Use it if you are sick next Christmas so you don't infect others needlessly with whatever you have.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
Unless your life is based around some sort of weird Resident Evil inventory management system I would say hang on to them until next year.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the fence with my washable Christmas themed face masks. I mean... surely I'm not going to need it next Christmas...right?
You won't be required, but thousands of people in the US alone could be saved each year if people willingly wore masks during flu season.

Be part of a change to save lives, and wear them again next year during flu season to help stop the spread of the flu.