• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
1. Mike, Kevin, and Bill could not come up with anything funnier than what was happening on screen.

2. The actors were really committed, like they were not bad performances it's just what they were doing was shit.

3. No one involved with the script had ever heard, played, or been in the same area code of a super mario game. It seems like they grafted third hand accounts of gameplay onto a YA script that was collecting dust.

According to this documentary, there was a serious breakdown in communication between the directors, actors and producers and the screenplay was rewritten multiple times, even during filming.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Damn there was a youtube vid I watched that had largely the same take. Delved into a lot of the behind the scenes stuff too. Been trying to find it but no luck, I thought it was a GoodBadFlicks thing but it's not showing up in searches.

Basically the movie was about as good as it could have been given all the shit going on with the script rewrites and budgets behind the scenes.
Might have been this:

No I'm pretty sure I watched a GoodBadFlicks episode on this movie. I'm surprised it isn't showing up.

Oct 8, 2019
The main thing I remember about this movie is that a few years later Cowboy Bebop would rip it off for its worse episode

cowboybebop.fandom.com

Monkey Business

Monkey Business was the name for a virus used by the eco-terrorist group Space Warriors. The virus edits human DNA from 98% shared with chimpanzees to 100%, changing the individual's appearance and intelligence. The Space Warriors designed this virus to return humans to an earlier time in which...

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I unabashedly love this film. I love the set design, the characters, and the actors all had good chemistry and gave as good of a performance as they could have with what they had to work with. It was a production nightmare plagued by script rewrites, infighting, actors that were so miserable they would drink on set, etc but it was highly ambitious, and an adaptation as uncontrolled as this of an established franchise will never happen again, which is why I appreciate its existence.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Yeah I knew I was going to get a lot of shit for this like I see in the 4 other replies. That's great if people like these guys but the humor just doesn't appeal for me, with this nor the other films I saw a bit of with their riffs in it. I guess the films just do a better job imo making fun of itself not the guys starting up their routines.
I get it. Rifftrax leans much harder towards insult humor so I can see why it turns people off. Their SMB movie is particularly bad in that they really bag on Leguizano too much. It seems like they NEED to do this for Hollywood movies that have less technical flaws to make fun of. Their obscure VoDs and shorts rely less on that and are more enjoyable to watch IMO. They're more classic MST.

The Super Marios Bros movie is an extremely high-concept, gritty scifi movie about fighting reptilian humanoids in the Hollow Earth. Taken as that, I think it's a brilliant-but-flawed gem of a film that I find very entertaining.

Taken as an adaptation of the Mario franchise, it becomes very obvious why Nintendo is so conservative and guarded about anyone outside the company touching their properties.

This is exactly how I feel about the Mario movie. I spend an absurd amount of time to think about how newer Mario characters/games would be interpreted in this setting.

Leguizano hate aside, I actually really love the Rifftrax for the game references they throw in like during the police car chase how Mike says something like "This gritty reboot of Mario Kart is a little much but hey no more @#$%ing Blue Shell"

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
There's like no easy way to stream this movie. At least not in the US. But I really want to watch it again.
I believe the Rifftrax version is the only legal HD digital version in the US.

I get that Disney gives no fucks about it, but you wouldn't think it would take that much effort to just throw an HD copy onto VUDU.

Maybe it's a rights issue with Nintendo?

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Name.

Mario.

Last name.

Mario.

And you?

Luigi.

Luigi Luigi?

No, Luigi Mario.

Okay how many Marios are there between the two of you?

Three: Mario Mario and Luigi Mario.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
When the Rifftrax was released was the first time I had seen the movie since the 90s. It's a bad Mario movie and it's not the best movie ever, but it's not bad. It's stupid, campy fun. I've seen way worse movies than Super Mario Bros..

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
It's insane how long it actually takes them to put on the Mario outfits. It's like an hour into the movie.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of movie that normally doesn't get made, and later on you hear about the scrapped plans for it and say "man, I would have paid to see that."

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
When the Rifftrax was released was the first time I had seen the movie since the 90s. It's a bad Mario movie and it's not the best movie ever, but it's not bad. It's stupid, campy fun. I've seen way worse movies than Super Mario Bros..
It's not even in the top (bottom?) hundred of worst movies lol

I've seen worse movies just this year already.
This is the kind of movie that normally doesn't get made, and later on you hear about the scrapped plans for it and say "man, I would have paid to see that."
Exactly.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the writer want to make a sequel to this? And they were making it into a comic instead or something?

I should try to watch it again, I don't think I've seen it since it released in theaters.

With Illumination doing the animated movie I wonder which one will turn out being the better Mario flick >__<

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I will go to the grave calling this movie amazing. Everything about it is out of this world lmao

For years I didn't know people actually didn't like it. Only the last few years or so did I realize the hate it gets.

Life was better then.

I always liked the movie because it was so batshit crazy. I wouldn't call it a good movie, but it's definitely an interesting movie.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I sincerely liked this movie. Probably because when I saw it, I knew as much about the Mario IP as the movie production team apparently did.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I'll echo those that said that I too, like this movie. Granted I was a kid when I first saw it on TV, but whenever I knew it was coming on, I would make time to watch it.

I'm older and wiser now, and know it's a bad movie.......

But...... I think I would watch it again. I'd make a movie night out of it with my kids.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I watched it again a couple years ago, and I kind of loved it? It's not a good Mario movie by any means, but it's an inspired, batshit wild type of movie that just doesn't get made anymore. Shame it ended on that set up for a sequel that never came.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Mario bros wasn't my favorite. I was mostly confused by it. I watched it a few times not really knowing what to think. It's not mario, but it's still a fun story, but it's not mario, but Hoskins is fun to watch. I definitely watched and enjoyed the Pest more.

I do think the Mario bros movie primed me for the Judge Dredd movie.

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
I still have the card collection for this movie in a binder. Also, it wasn't that bad. Gun to my head I probably couldn't make a better live action, gritty 90's Mario movie.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
As a kid growing up and learning English, I absolutely loved this movie. I would always utter MONKEY at my parents and friends, lol.

Still waiting for the sequel. You can't end it on that cliffhanger. :(

Dec 30, 2020
By the bye, sometimes I can use Rifftrax to persuade my friends to watch movies they had no interest in previously. They did Casablanca and Charade, and I happily got my friends to watch Casablanca because of it. In the end a friend remarks, "huh! That movie was actually pretty good!"

I wonder if sometimes they pick certain movies in an attempt to expand the palettes of their patrons.

Dec 30, 2020
Watch the rest of the film and come and get him!

I genuinely like Leguizamo. I just want him to win an Oscar, but during his speech obligated to explain The Pest.
...I genuinely liked some parts of The Pest. Especially the bad guy's extremely sheltered gay son escaping with Pest, realizing he fit in with the normal club goers amazingly well, and deciding to just stay with the protagonists.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I unabashedly love this film. I love the set design, the characters, and the actors all had good chemistry and gave as good of a performance as they could have with what they had to work with. It was a production nightmare plagued by script rewrites, infighting, actors that were so miserable they would drink on set, etc but it was highly ambitious, and an adaptation as uncontrolled as this of an established franchise will never happen again, which is why I appreciate its existence.
My thoughts exactly. I hated it as a kid because I was expecting a straightforward adaptation, but now I appreciate how audacious it was. It's a big mishmash of ideas loosely inspired by the backs of some Nintendo game boxes that got put through production hell and end up being held together by some really great set design. (I will go to bat for these wonderful sets every time this movie comes up)

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My thoughts exactly. I hated it as a kid because I was expecting a straightforward adaptation, but now I appreciate how audacious it was. It's a big mishmash of ideas loosely inspired by the backs of some Nintendo game boxes that got put through production hell and end up being held together by some really great set design. (I will go to bat for these wonderful sets every time this movie comes up)
Honestly I loved it as a kid, hated it as an adult during the era of "hate your nostalgia" and have come back to loving how fucking insane the movie.

"No, I believe. I believe"

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Mario Bros movie rules. It's perfectly weird and a lot of fun to watch. Please don't avatar quote me :(