• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
The Truth, and the Anti-Black Violence of My Lies

To an escalating degree over my adult life, I have eschewed my lived experience as a white Jewish child in suburban Kansas City under various assumed identities within a Blackness that I had no right to claim: first North African Blackness, then US rooted Blackness, then Caribbean rooted Bronx Blackness. I have not only claimed these identities as my own when I had absolutely no right to do so — when doing so is the very epitome of violence, of thievery and appropriation, of the myriad ways in which non-Black people continue to use and abuse Black identities and cultures — but I have formed intimate relationships with loving, compassionate people who have trusted and cared for me when I have deserved neither trust nor caring.

George Washington University page

Summary: George Washington University professor has been passing for black for a significant part of her life and profiting off it. Rachel Dolezal was not unique.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
well of course, there's also that teenager ... uhh ...... hip hop...... personality, what was here name..... She had a feud with the Catch me outside girl three or four years ago where she had this video saying "I'M BLACK ... B-L-A-C"

oh jeez but now I just googled it and I guess the catch me outside girl ALSO has a new look

jesus I can't keep up

*EDIT*

Okay so this is off-topic, but I googled bhad babie to find that feud she had a few years ago, and turned up some video where she had a makeover, and one of the comments literally made me laugh out loud. I'm going to spoiler it because people pretending to be black when they're not is a serious thing, and this is not serious, it's a meme about Bhad Babie.

C6g4HTz.png

727FNwk.png

0tq01tc.png

Last edited:

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
well of course, there's also that teenager ... uhh ...... hip hop...... personality, what was here name..... She had a feud with the Catch me outside girl three or four years ago where she had this video saying "I'M BLACK ... B-L-A-C"

oh jeez but now I just googled it and I guess the catch me outside girl ALSO has a new look

jesus I can't keep up

TAP THE BOTTLE BRO!

713ZhdKxnKL._SS500_.jpg

On topic: an acquaintance of mine was tried to claim being part black because she was Irish, ergo Moorish and had curly hair and a big butt.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
There are tons and tons and TONS of people out there who are profiting off of the community, the identity and the diaspora - as well as lots of people who seek to fracture that community/identity/diaspora by microtargeting non-existent "subgroups" within it. Internet made this even easier!

Not even shocked. The reality is, everyone wants to be Black - but nobody really wants to be Black.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely fucked up.

The faculty page linked to isn't from Columbia University, but The George Washington University. I don't think she's tied at all to Columbia University.

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm curious if her scholarship is legitimate, or she was just using her identity to get a pass. I imagine the number of people who can fact-check niche historical central-south African material is pretty low.

I'd love to know the background on this, because this seems like a weird thing to randomly make a confessional Medium post about.

While the apology's sentiment seems genuine, the throwing hands up about "how to cancel" herself seems weird. Are you still employed at an educational institution you got to in part by faking your ancestry? Seems like the place to start.

Also, just from the photos of her.... she looks super Jewish, I have friends who could pass as a sibling. Curly hair doesn't seem like it'd get you that far. Did someone in her class finally just point out the emperor had no clothes or something?

Oct 27, 2017
are people from North Africa considered black? i always thought they were considered vaguely white

I mean, you don't consider someone black or white depending on their nationality. You go to Brazil or any country in Central America and you'll see a variety of skin colors depending on how many ancestors someone has that were European, African, or Native American.

Also, the impact of your skin color can vary a lot depending on the country. But I think her reasoning for switching up her "background" was because she wanted to probably go with the least familiar cultural background to give herself cover. Or she's just weird.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hey non-black folks trying to claim to be black:

Fuck off forever, yeah?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to see people use transracial again--this time to mean multi-racial.

Also, just from the photos of her.... she looks super Jewish, I have friends who could pass as a sibling. Curly hair doesn't seem like it'd get you that far. Did someone in her class finally just point out the emperor had no clothes or something?
I mean, same could have been said for Dolezal, but there were still people shocked when it came out...

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's weird how white kids latched onto blackness like a high school clique; emo kids, jocks, etc.

What's even more interesting is she probably has ran into some shit being a Jewish woman in the Midwest, so I am surprised she couldn't do the math on how fucked up this all is

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm curious if her scholarship is legitimate, or she was just using her identity to get a pass. I imagine the number of people who can fact-check niche historical central-south African material is pretty low.
I have a hard time imagining that her scholarship is legitimate given the extreme lack of respect she's shown by doing this, but in any case, at the very least she needs to step down from her position as associate professor. She says she doesn't know how to fix this, but that would be a good fucking first step.

No problem. Less institutions should use Columbia in their names...

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how white kids latched onto blackness like a high school clique; emo kids, jocks, etc.

What's even more interesting is she probably has ran into some shit being a Jewish woman in the Midwest, so I am surprised she couldn't do the math on how fucked up this all is
There were a couple Indian kids in my high school that would insist they were black despite their obvious Indian appearance and last names. It was weird.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'd love to know the background on this, because this seems like a weird thing to randomly make a confessional Medium post about.

While the apology's sentiment seems genuine, the throwing hands up about "how to cancel" herself seems weird. Are you still employed at an educational institution you got to in part by faking your ancestry? Seems like the place to start.

I'm sure people assumed she was biracial/multiracial and didn't press too much. Lots of biracial/multiracial people may not present as obviously black. Rashida Jones comes to mind as an example.

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Man, this shows how flawed the whole concept of "race" really is. Pretty sure loads of North African people wouldn't be considered "white" by your average "white" American.

i mean the whole race concept only exists socially really, its severely subjective and many ethnicities have been counted as both white or not white in america before; for example, there was a brief time when people from India were considered white in the US in the early 20th century iirc

tbh the premise that someone can choose which race they are i think is actually valid at least in a vacuum, since it is just a social concept and not literal, but obviously thats in bad taste socially and also not something that the rest of the world would probably agree to easily as seen by this thread, and probably plays into all kinds of strange racial dynamics

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe she can get through to others about it and something positive can come from her realizations.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What is it with White people's obsession with trying to be Black
They're legit jealous of our looks and culture, but spend so much time publicly denigrating us for both- among other things- that they know they're not allowed in the club unless they thieve our shit or pull some undercover nonsense like this. People like this are just basket cases.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
Of course she had to be in a position of power or influence so she can show off her "identity" and flounce her victimhood. And write a book about it.

Because what use is there in fetishizing black people's struggle if l can't appropriate it to elevate myself.