• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Games as a service seems to be the big pitch this E3. Nearly all the major publishers are offering their latest and greatest AAA titles on Subscriptions. Are you happy with this ?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Publishers stopped selling games. All these ridiculously overpriced CEs must be a figment of my imagination.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if this can be profitable in the long run. Every publisher with their service and with a low price. Only if they fill their games with mtx...that´s the only scenario where this can be profitable.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this could really backfire. You need to deliver to keep me on board every month. I understand having something like Gamepass, but just for Ubisoft for example? I don't know...

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
everyone wants a piece of the cake, as usual, but there is so much cake before t's all gone..much like games as a service only one or at best 2 competitors will win the race and actually be able to profit from the model, for everyone else it will stay a side gig

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly think they're playing a dangerous game. The Netflix model has barely worked for Netflix themselves, and they're the kings in the field, they've had negative cash flow since basically forever. Devaluing the concept of the $60 game is super risky.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fine with me. Pay $15 to play new release game for a month....then unsubscribe. It's actually easier than trying to work the Trade-In Cycle at GameStop.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
I have a sneaking suspicion that if every publisher starts doing this they'll end up in a race to the bottom that could cause major problems for the industry.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
The further we get from a physical release, the less interested I become. The only thing less interesting than a dozen subscriptions to pay monthly for is streaming

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This is terrifying for a lot of developers, specially the smaller ones. Once the public gets used to pay $15 a month for a bunch of games, it's hard to sell them something.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who wants money upfront when you can have a steady income every month for the foreseeable future.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I personally am not a fan of subscription services and would almost always prefer to purchase and own media.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
It's like chasing mmo money round 2. Not surprised in the least as more games adopted a gaas model

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Yeah. I'm on board. The services are way too expensive to keep month to month, but I'll gladly pay $15 for a month long rental of a new game + some back catalog stuff I might want to dip into. I'll buy any game I'll play for more than a month, but that isn't many

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Paying $15 a month for a selection of games you don't control to stream them on servers that are nowhere near you.

Welcome to the new age of gaming.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah pretty sure. It's gonna be hard at some point going back to a €/$60 purchase for one game when you get hundreds to play for €/$15 month.

Gaming seems to go the way of tv and music now. People don't care of they own the stuff, they want to consume it for cheap. Probably will end up like the movie market. You sub to Netflix, but if you really love a movie you buy the Bluray. As long as I have the option to permanently buy any game I want to own I welcome these gaming passes.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I have the option to purchase the game outright so when my subscription lapses, i can still own the game than I don't care.

I think it'd be interesting to have some sort of algorithm that can prorate the cost of the game if I wanted to buy the game even though I know longer want to sub.

For example, if I put 100 hours into Gears of War 5 and then decide after 2 months that I don't care about the games im playing on GamePass so I unsub, but want to keep playing GoW5, can I purchase it for like 20 bucks.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not paying a combined $50 to $100 a month for various subscriptions to cover playing the various pubs' games. That is the fastest path for me to leave gaming entirely, in favor of spending more time on my other hobbies.

Oct 25, 2017
Just the ongoing trend of corporations finding ways to make sure all the money out there is shifting toward them while you acquire nothing of value for yourself. And why get paid once when you can get paid every month ongoing?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how game devs can make money if everything goes subscription, unless all games devs go to just being salary employees of the staff companies and you don't see profit sharing from high selling games as part of game development anymore.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
As a business a subscription model is a million times better than pay as you go. They are loving the age of the sub.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
The Pubs pushing the subs in particular are the ones who struggle to put out high quality AAA games consistently. Xbox, EA, and now Ubisoft. A subscription helps reduce the effects of a bad AAA release. Anybody will try a game for $10+ a month.

We don't see Sony and Nintendo putting their AAA games on subscription, do we?

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this can be profitable in the long run. Every publisher with their service and with a low price. Only if they fill their games with mtx...that´s the only scenario where this can be profitable.
Sadly yeah. I dont see how this is financially viable outside as a service for older games and GaaS - for those it can likely work great though.
For the one-off singleplayer games, it seems dangerous.
People have (wrongly) called out the death of singleplayer games for a long time. Maybe this is the thing that does it.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I love Game Pass but it's just going to end up with every publisher having their own service so eventually the subscription model is gonna suck

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
  • No reaction threads – To prevent clutter we will lock all reaction threads during E3. A reaction thread is a topic about a hot take or some other personal reaction to anything that did or did not happen during E3. Examples include "Why wasn't the Switch 2 announced?", "Did Ubisoft just win E3?" and "I can't believe the leaks were real". These sort of topics can be discussed in news threads and conference threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.