• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 officieal details thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/of...usive-article-ray-tracing-bc-ssd-more.111777/

It's at least getting BC with PS4 games. Presumably they'll just run to PS4 Pro spec out of the box, but what do you think is happening beyond that?

Personally I don't think game publishers are gonna be able to justify a new $40 disc just to bump the resolution from 1440p (what a lot of games are running at now on the Pro) to 2160p, and maybe bump the framerate to 60. 8K ain't happening beyond upscaling -- I think that's just future-proofing to make sure when 8K TVs do come the PS5 won't have to rely on the TV's upscaler. Would a slight resolution bump and some ray tracing added to games like TLOU 2 and Cyberpunk really be enough?

And I really don't think Microsoft will try to get away with that, not for its first party games. Those'll be Next-Xbox-enhanced like another step up from Xbox One X. The question is what would third party publishers do in response? Microsoft will almost certainly give them the option for enhancement patches, but would Sony even offer that option?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I really hope it's patches at this point. In reality it'll probably be a little from column A a little from column B.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
We'll probably get both, but there will be the option of playing the original game or the port (just as we've seen with numerous games on the Xbox One)

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Probably both. It'll be interesting to see where expectations are set for remasters vs free patches. I guess a simple recompile to take advantage of the better CPU (beyond what a boost mode can do) might lie on one end of the spectrum (patch territory), and I guess once you get into heavy asset revisions or rendering pipeline rework, you might be heading into remaster territory.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
This. I think publishers will just have to think of better ways to sell a port.
For example, I fully expect a Final Fantasy XV - Complete Edition with all DLCs with the 4K or 60fps mode.
But you can also play your own copies and hope for the best when it comes to improvements like XB1's BC.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Probably both.

It would be nice if the system itself utilized whatever the hell is in Boost Mode to just leverage the better hardware to make it at least run better.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they add PS3 BC too. I'll also be happy with PS1 and PS2 as long there's proper upscaling/line doubling.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I hope they don't push some we've got ps4's in the cloud so you can play your past purchase on that. Because I can actually see that.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
patches most likely, and they will promote them as ps5 enchanced on the digital storefront

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have such a massive digital backlog on my PS4 that I'm absolutely thrilled we'll be able to simply move that library over.

Any enhancements after that is just icing. :)

Oct 30, 2017
I just don't see paid remasters happening. FauxK -> 4K is a laughable difference to really charge people for. And it's much harder to have someone pay out the ass if they have access to the game already, which is why on PC this gen you either had free updates, much cheaper upgrades or nothing at all.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
For most games it will be like playing on ps4 pro, that is what makes most sense.
Maybe some select (big) games will have patches that allow for further improvements. I wouldn't expect more, except for late gen games that, with ps5 devkits in hands of developers, may include specific ps5 improvements.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most games won't get anything beyond a boost mode boost. Some games will get patched (think big stuff) and some games will get full rereleases (probably just Rockstar).

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I just want better resolution and image quality for Bloodborne. Performance would be nice too but it's not my foremost complaint about it's presentation.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm gonna assume patches, but it'll be a developer by developer basis.

I don't think it's unreasonable for some games to have a small DLC fee for higher fidelity textures or models for some light remastering on the next generation, thought. The work has to be paid for somehow.

But if it's just "we unlocked the framerate and targeted a higher render resolution", then it should be a free patch.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it might end up at what the current situation on PC is -- where you can only justify a paid remaster if it's an extensive asset revision, almost a remake, like Baldur's Gate Enhanded Edition.

I just don't see paid remasters happening. FauxK -> 4K is a laughable difference to really charge people for. And it's much harder to have someone pay out the ass if they have access to the game already, which is why on PC this gen you either had free updates, much cheaper upgrades or nothing at all.

Exactly. The remasters they can justify charging for again on PC are the ones that practically look like remakes.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Sony first party games coming out on PS4 next year (and the popular, still relevant ones from before) will all get free PS5 upgrades. I suspect the same for big service games where player retention is important.

I expect third party single player games will monetize the PS5 upgrade by offering remasters in some cases, and paid upgrade packs in other cases.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't think we'll see Sony mandate either method and most publishers will opt for the remaster route in order to get money out of it.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Remasters of course. Why on earth would devs invest time and money in a free patch if they can sell us remastered game? If done right, I don't mind paying again.
I guess the PS5 will have some internal solution to boost PS4 games, but proper enchantments will require a remaster.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Sony will tell 3rd Party/Publishers that they're free to update their games to make use of power but will then provide the same terrible UHD support they've provided this gen to their 1st Party Output. Then sell a bunch of remasters.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
what im wondering is if enchancements for ps4 games on ps5 are possible without any patch at all. like faster loading times, maybe better frame rate, upscaled resolution etc..

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither. The PS5 sounds more like a PS4.5 Pro, which means it'll make great games look and run better, but won't do much for poorly dev'd muddy, ugly games like Left Behind.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I do hope we get resolution patches, like on Xbox. I'm optimistic - if they managed 4K in the original Red Dead (famously messy code, apparently) then any game can be retrofitted. I'd be happy with a similar boost in Bloodborne.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
If they can add effects like raytracing or AI enhanced textures to PS4/PS3 games through an injector or other software that might be a bigger deal to me than going from checkerboard to native 4k.
I'd like to see some options like : Spider-Man PS4 in options menu : Display settings : Native 4K, Checkerboard + Raytracing etc.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Compatibility out of the gate with the disk/download, but no graphical upgrades unless it's a re-release/remaster

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they do offer remasters.

I do want a port of TLoU2/GoW/Spiderman/RE7/REmake 2 with all patches and DLC on disc.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Can't depend on Devs to do shit. Make it an OS level feature Sony.

So very disappointed with the PS4 Pro.