• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Maybe release another graphically sub par console
giphy.gif

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
2019 is likely the Switch's peak year in terms of Hardware sales.

I don't expect Switch sales to crater by any means next year, but a price-cut would do a lot to carry momentum.

Granted, I don't expect Next gen consoles to affect the Switch in regard except mindshare.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really matter what their counter attack is. People who want a PS5/Scarlett are going to buy a PS5/Scarlett.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Nintendo doesn't need to "counter" anything. As long as they keep releasing high quality versions of their IP, the sales will continue to roll in. When you've got people reacting to your products like this, you get to do things at your pace and on your terms:

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
I don't think they need to do much in response to the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett specifically since the stationary systems are selling on different points compared to the portable Switch. Of course, though, in order to remain relevant overall for customers they are going to need to continue with a largely sustained and consistent output of quality games.

I do think, however, that they should ensure they do not wait too long to release a successor to the Switch (by which I mean a Switch 2, which largely follows the same concept at the Switch, but with more horsepower and more novel additions). This is not necessarily in response to the PS5 or Scarlett, but rather that consoles generally start to slow-down sales wise at around the 5 year mark and I would think that Nintendo wants to have a smooth transition from Switch to Switch 2. I feel that their mistake with the transition from Wii was that they waited too long to introduce an HD console. By the time the Wii U came out, the Wii had gone through a steep sales decline and a full drought year, by which point I feel the brand had become somewhat toxic (certainly the Wii U's own less than stellar launch and marketing did not help matters either mind you). Ideally, they should have something around 2021 or 2022 with software ready right out the gate for it. Of course, Nintendo can take a page out of their own handheld playbook and the playbooks of MS and Sony this gen and release an enhanced revision of the Switch that falls in the same generation (although ideally they shouldn't make exclusives for it again like they did with New 3DS and DSi, since it sends mixed signals to customers and third-party developers) and that can help them prolong the systems sales a bit more. I do also believe that a Switch 2 could co-exist, at least initially, with the Switch Lite as the cheaper option (much like the 2DS and New 2DS XL were until the Switch Lite's introduction). This would allow Nintendo to initially support and capitalize on the current Switch userbase by still releasing smaller releases/remakes (where the Lite keeps the old gen alive through the transition) while aiming newer and larger scale projects at the Switch 2 (and presuming the Switch 2 is backwards compatible with the original, these smaller Switch releases would still run on the newer hardware perhaps even with enhancements, thereby reducing the chance that the new platform would go through first-party or second-party droughts).

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda Breadth of the Wild 2 will be their answer to PS5 and Scarlett. They even allegedly scheduled that game for holiday 2020, which is very rare for Nintendo. Usually they release their games when they are ready.

And yes, Animal Crossing, but that game was delayed I think and should have being released this year.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Like many others, I think Breath of the Wild 2 is fall 2020. 3 and a half years is plenty of time for a game that is using many of the same models and the code base of the original.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they care, like at all. It's really not the same market for them.

That said, plenty of things they COULD do:

• Big games (BOTW2, SMO2, big ports)
  • Price drop on hardware
  • Switch pro
  • Nintendo Selects at $40-50
Or go nuclear and follow up this year's GOTY- Ring Fit Adventure 2

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
Price cut and/or bundle game (such as Mario Kart) on the main Switch and Switch Lite. Release a Switch Home Pro version with a maxed out clocked GPU profile.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To do nothing at all. Anything they try would just be overshadowed by next gen. The worst time for something like botw2 would be when the ps5 and Scarlett are releasing.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I mean they could have a big winter release schedule of...

BOTW2
Bayonetta 3
Pikmin 4
Switch Pro
$50 price cut for the Switch Lite & Switch 2.0
etc.

that would probably ease the hit from PS5/NextBox releasing. They probably will end up doing their own thing since it really isn't targeting the same exact market like the two home consoles are.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
BOTW2 if it's ready. Frankly, it might just be wise to avoid the media circus launch timeframe for the new consoles altogether. Release something stellar a month beforehand, ride out the holiday with a price cut, and expect rushed next-gen launch titles to leave a thirst for something meaty early in the New Year. I wouldn't be shocked if they decide to polish BOTW2 for a February or March 2021 release.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Let's hope for some kind of power boost in docked whether it be Switch Pro or a new dock or whatever. Switch is unacceptable as a console IMO, the games look terrible on a big screen. At least bring it up to a standard where it can run games in 1080p ffs.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
BotW 2 is enough honestly, they'll continue carving the perfect niche that is being the +1 part of the "PS/Xbox console +1" equation just by having solid software.

The only potential threat is if either company decides to make their console a hybrid, which seems pretty unlikely.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
A holiday price cut for Black Friday, a pokemon game, and maybe BOTW2

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Next fiscal year Switch will get a lowered pricepoint 249$ / 179$ and during holiday they will bundle in a game with that price and launch a sequel to either SMO or BotW.

As the PS5/Scarlett will probably cost at least 499$, Switch's pricepoint will look very good. So I dont Nintendo has any reason to worry.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Games (new and evergreens)
Price cut

Switch is selling extremely well, so that will be good enough.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I've been thinking about all day and I'm actually convinced myself that for holiday 2020 Nintendo will release either

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2
Super Mario Oddssey 2
Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Remake

or

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2
Super Mario 3D Port
Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Remake

Mario in October, Pokemon in November & Zelda in December. Sounds reasonable to me and boy do I want them also.
I hope its this, i mean 3D world was fun and all but to put that in the fall lineup is the equivalent of a wet fart for mario fans. Not bc the game is bad but its another wiiu port.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes seem like a lock to me for 2020. I mean Masuda(or Omori) basically said that the Let's go Series is done for now. That has to mean that D/P remakes are next, and probably already years in development bc its allot more than touching up gold and silver for the ds. With a 3rd version of Sword and Shield being the 2021 slot( or a sequel like black and white 2)

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
To do nothing at all. Anything they try would just be overshadowed by next gen. The worst time for something like botw2 would be when the ps5 and Scarlett are releasing.

🙄
So the sequel to what is considered by many the best game of this generation will be overshadowed completely by two consoles launching that combined won't sell over 3 million.

BotW2 will be the most anticipated Zelda of all time. I'm willing to bet that it'll sell more units by the end of December than Scarlet and PS5 combined.

Smash sold 5 million in a week. Pokémon sold 6 million in 3 days.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
BOTW2, obviously.

Also I would expect Metroid Prime: Federation Force 2 to show up at some point.

Garyizraw

Sep 14, 2018
Nintendo is kinda in their own space I think the only threat to them is Xcloud or PSNOW honestly but it will take a while for that to get serious traction in this regard

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Just being cheaper already is gonna go a long way, Switch is near or in prime at the moment.

But a price cut on both models, and the second run of their big sellers would help a lot (botw 2\odyssey 2)

Of coursw if they want to go completely balls to the wall, simply put: Mario kart 9. Doubt it'll happen with the way Mk8d is selling though, but you never know