• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
youtu.be

How PS5 Will Play PS1, PS2 & PS3 Games Revealed

Would you pay a monthly fee to stream a legacy PlayStation collection?For more awesome content, check out: http://whatculture.com/gaming Catch us on Facebook...

So, what do you think? I know most Playstation gamers don't care as they are all about the "future of gaming" but some of us may feel this is a deal breaker as we have a lot invested in the PS3/PS2 and even PS1 generations.

I also wonder what this will mean for the ps3 psn digital purchases... If those will emulate on the ps5 and not get delisted that would at least be a start towards compromise..

Well, would love to hear some perspectives

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing if true..I would pay extra for a PS5 capable of playing everything, PS1 to PS4, I have probably over 500 physical games between them.

So.. disappointing..but NOT a dealbreaker.

I'm buying a PS5 for PS5 games.. but I still have my PS3 hooked up.. and wish we had a next gen box that allows me to disconnect it. It's been connected, essentially, since 2008.(between my PS3Phat and PS3 Slim)

As a gesture of goodwill... they better let us use our owned PS3 games from the PSN store on PS5 for free.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Did I miss something? I don't remember them talking about anything but PS4 bc so far.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Could it be that if you insert a disc you own the system recognizes it and plays the game from their servers?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Sony being vague about backwards comp is definitely raising some alarms for me but i'm not yet sure if it's just bad PR or not.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you blame them?

Why spend all the money to develop backwards compatibility that a minute number of PS5 owners are going to actually play. Being able to play your own PS4 games is enough for 99.99% of all the people who are going to buy the console.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't take stock in any information from a source that bases its information on an outdated patent as far back as 2013.

Until Sony actually reveals its actual plans for backwards compatibility on systems prior to the PS4, take anything you read / see online with a grain of salt.

Waiting for an actual official confirmation directly from Sony themselves is the best way to go.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Sony being vague about backwards comp is definitely raising some alarms for me but i'm not yet sure if it's just bad PR or not.

There's nothing 'vague' about Sony's BC.
They promised PS4 BC and that they're currently testing them.
They never promised anything more than that.
There is no 'wink wink PS1/2/3' from them.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
At this point my expectations are in check - as long as it plays PS4 physical fine and adds boost options / at least plays them to Pro standards, then I can deal with it

Anyone expecting the PS5 to run anything more than this physical needs to re-adjust

Sony to be fair haven't elaborated and this is old patent stuff but Is it disappointing compared to MS' more aggressive championing of BC

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
PS4 couldn't play them either though? Ps3 launch edition is the only one that'll play ps3/2/1 games physically as far as I know

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
That's a 2013 patent that was most likely about PS Now. It even mention David Perry who is no longer with Sony.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
PS4 couldn't play them either though? Ps3 launch edition is the only one that'll play ps3/2/1 games physically as far as I know
Exactly, how is this a "deal breaker" for PS5 when it's the current status quo for PlayStation. Last we heard from Sony regarding it was simply that they're only focusing on PS4 BC right now, the door is still open. We have a long console generation before us, best not to write anything off before the system even launches.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Um, was there and expectation that PS5 will be able to play physical copies of PS1/PS2/PS3 games? Lol

The PS4 couldn't play them either.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
People are actually not buying the PS5 because it can't play PS1 discs? Hhaha...I don't think you're ever considering the purchase in the first place if so.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Lol, so many hot takes on a simple patent. Whether the PS5 can play physical BC games or not that won't be covered in this patent so there's no conclusions to be drawn here.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
There's nothing 'vague' about Sony's BC.
They promised PS4 BC and that they're currently testing them.
They never promised anything more than that.
There is no 'wink wink PS1/2/3' from them.
To be fair, even the PS4 BC info is a little vague. I think it's sufficient for this time, but I think we should all be able to agree that PlayStation still has a lot it needs to reveal about what to expect from BC on PS5.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I'm happy that we have this youtuber speaking up so that everyone gets informed how sony handles BC.

EDIT:
/s

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think this is something that would be expected. It's been over a decade since a PS console model had physical backwards compatibility With a previous generation; not to mention Nintendo has also abandoned this concept (for now). That Xbox One can use the disk as a licence is great but it isn't Standard anymore. I think to avoid further disappointment tempering expectations to what we know it has (PS4 back compatibility) is sensible. The patent is old, yet I think value in working on this backwards compatibility absolutely makes business sense at the very least to put behind a subscription - it means there is a sense of customer retention and commitment there even if you aren't making money on individual titles working with the console. It would obviously be great if a console could play all this physical media, but I suspect at least on PS and especially Nintendo's side this won't happen again for their further back generations.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
If Sony has the emulators to run on the cloud, why wouldn't they just also run them locally on the PS5?

Y'all need to relax. We don't know what they're doing yet for BC on PS5 beyond PS4 BC (which we know for sure doesn't require streaming).

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
All I'm saying is that I hope the roles aren't reversed from 2013. I hope Sony doesn't have anti-consumer policies like MS had. And yes, this could potentially be one of them.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I have a fair few physical os2 and 3 games, but I have to imagine this is such a niche market that it barely matters to Sony.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If Sony has the emulators to run on the cloud, why wouldn't they just also run them locally on the PS5?

Y'all need to relax. We don't know what they're doing yet for BC beyond PS4.
Yes, they would since they'd all be running on the same hardware. People are just forming their own narratives at this point. If there's more extensive BC or not we don't know, we just need to wait and see.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
*takes a look at the PS4 library*

...what ?

People are really downplaying how much content there is available on PS4 and will be playable on PS5.
Getting BC for older systems would be great as well but lets not act as if not hundreds of classics were natively ported to PS4 anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Backwards compatability is always disappointing.

Wait until everyone finds out their favourite obscure PS4 title doesn't run on PS5 or that a couple of major AAA titles run worse on PS5.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, even the PS4 BC info is a little vague. I think it's sufficient for this time, but I think we should all be able to agree that PlayStation still has a lot it needs to reveal about what to expect from BC on PS5.

What's vague about it? You can play PS4 games by disc or digitally. Your can install them on the SSD or an external HDD. Games with unlocked framerates and dynamic resolution or patched games will run better on PS5. Some small number of games my not work or glitch. They are currently testing games to find any that have problems. All games certified after July this year on PS4 must be compatible with PS5 to pass certification.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
All I'm saying is that I hope the roles aren't reversed from 2013. I hope Sony doesn't have anti-consumer policies like MS had. And yes, this could potentially be one of them.

I wouldn't put BC in the same category as online check-in DRM at all. BC definitely means more now due to modern entertainment devices being built with features that let users bring old content/apps over, but I still don't feel that it's the same PR disaster at all.

I agree with others that have said that it's becoming a bit concerning to see Sony stay so quiet about this but there's still time left. A simple blog and/or video could change all of this. We'll see how these next few months play out.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
*takes a look at the PS4 library*

...what ?

People are really downplaying how much content there is available on PS4 and will be playable on PS5.
Getting BC for older systems would be great as well but lets not act as if not hundreds of classics were natively ported to PS4 anyway.

They're not downplaying anything. PS3 could play PS1/PS2/PS3 depending on your system, and at *least* PS1+PS3 on all systems. Xbox is poised to support almost the entire history of their platform with the Series X, where licenses permit.

Folks are more than allowed to be disappointed about Sony not doing more to help preserve player's libraries, doubly so when the PS5's CPU should be enough to emulate PS3 if they so chose.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Anyone expecting to be able to play PS1,2,and 3 discs has only themselves to blame for their inevitable upset.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Backwards compatability is always disappointing.

Wait until everyone finds out their favourite obscure PS4 title doesn't run on PS5 or that a couple of major AAA titles run worse on PS5.

Half the games I play on my X1X are BC. Playing stuff like Portal 2, FFXIII and Fable in 4K via BC is an absolute dream.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Can you blame them?

Why spend all the money to develop backwards compatibility that a minute number of PS5 owners are going to actually play. Being able to play your own PS4 games is enough for 99.99% of all the people who are going to buy the console.
This unfortunately.
The majority of consumers invested in the Playstation ecosystem likely don't even own PS1 / PS2 games anymore.

Many of those that do have access to those respective hardware to play said games.

I would love PS3 support but the stupid design initiative for the PS3 makes it a tough investment to justify when next gen consoles are already going to be expensive...

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
What's vague about it? You can play PS4 games by disc or digitally. Your can install them on the SSD or an external HDD. Games with unlocked framerates and dynamic resolution or patched games will run better on PS5. Some small number of games my not work or glitch. They are currently testing games to find any that have problems. All games certified after July this year on PS4 must be compatible with PS5 to pass certification.
I agree with you. That said you forgot the different modes their BC solution has and two of them won't give the improvements you just listed. These modes exist to prevent glitches and games not working, as their BC solution isn't as robust it seems.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Half the games I play on my X1X are BC. Playing stuff like Portal 2, FFXIII and Fable in 4K via BC is an absolute dream.
The Xbox BC landscape is definitely an significant advantage that I feel Microsoft should actually shamelessly bullet point market more often.

For games more than a generation behind however, I hardly see it as a vital aspect for the appeal of a next gen console.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I still have my PS2 Slim.....still have my PS3 Phat(Launch), and PS3 *Slim*.

So I'm good if I need to play my older games that bad.
Anyone expecting to be able to play PS1,2,and 3 discs has only themselves to blame for their inevitable upset.

I'd be disappointed if we can't play PS1 and PS2 games on a damn $500 PS5... I understand if they have issues with the PS3.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
who honest thought PS5 was going to play PS1,2,3 Disc based games considering PS4 didnt !? If your dissappointed your about 7 years late on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.