• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
This is rough to watch, i thoroughly enjoyed my time with pikmin 3 on wii u but i just cannot justify picking up this port at all.

I hope the series can survive this release i really do! Pikmin 4 wouldve been perfect right about now
hopefully thanks to the demo it picks up new fans rather than reselling exclusively to people who already own it

I think without the demo your concerns would have more merit; most people won't spend $60 for a game they played seven years ago

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
For me, the dealbreaker is the price, which I personally think is too much regardless of the quality of the game. That said, the rough image quality is compounded by the fact that it's an RTS-style game with an isometric camera, and the lower resolution and a lack of anistropic filtering just makes the game look extra muddy. For an RTS game, I would've preferred simpler graphics at a higher resolution for the benefit of clarity.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm honestly really vibing with this not-OT

can you imagine if all games got this thread?

So The Last of Us 2 is out.
So Red Dead Redemption 2 is out.
So Super Smash Bros Ultimate is out.

yeah, I know it's because nobody gives a shit about pikmin, but I love how casual this thread is

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really enjoyed the demo as it reminded me how much I like this game, but yeah since I already own it on Wii U I just can't justify the price. Common theme with a lot of first party ports on Switch really, if it was like £35 I'd be interested. I made an exception for Mario 3D but that was 3 games, one of which I hadn't played, and none of which I'd played in ages.

If you haven't played Pikmin 3 it's a different story, it's probably worth it at the current price. The zero effort put into getting it running at native resolution or increasing the framerate is disappointing but is to be expected. It doesn't even need 60fps really but I don't get why they couldn't bump the resolution.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Selling this game for $60 was a mistake. And yes, I know Nintendo doesn't like to devalue their properties and I know there have been more egregious $60 titles than Pikmin 3, but with a franchise with a small and dwindling fan base, they need to make it an easier buy for people. I'd pay $40 for it, but since I completed it on Wii U already, I can't justify paying another $60 for it.

What they really should have done is bundle GameCube ports of 1 and 2 on here. They have a GameCube emulator running on Switch, and hell, they could even use the New Play Control Wii versions.

It's disappointing that Nintendo will probably use the sales of this overpriced port of a 7 year old game to justify ending the series. Hate this shit.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
And yes, I know Nintendo doesn't like to devalue their properties and I know there have been more egregious $60 titles than Pikmin 3, but with a franchise with a small and dwindling fan base,
whoa, are we losing pikmin fans? is it because they're dying off and not being replaced?

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I'm buying it and all of my friends are as well. I'm sure it'll do well, it's just not the type of game that people on here are going to talk about because it's "just a port" and it has "bad resolution" or whatever

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
whoa, are we losing pikmin fans? is it because they're dying off and not being replaced?
hahahaha entirely possible.

I say dwindling because of how long it's been since a new Pikmin release. Fans didn't really flock to the Wii U game and definitely not the weird 3DS spin off.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
what do you mean by this exactly?
The game hasn't been improved too much from its original release. The added content isn't really anything special. It's practically the same game for the price of a new game. It's asinine.

Now I say this as someone who is about to run to target and get a copy lol.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
My copy just got delivered a couple minutes ago. Played this and loved it on Wii U and am excited to revisit it again at some point on Switch. I played a tiny bit of the demo in both handheld and docked and didn't have an issue with the visuals at all. I know a lot of people here are down on this port, but I'm stoked to have it on Switch and think it still looks great.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The game hasn't been improved too much from its original release. The added content isn't really anything special. It's practically the same game for the price of a new game. It's asinine.

ahhh okay yeah, I get what you mean.

yeah, it's been seven years. that's a lot of time. Mario Kart was only three years, Donkey Kong was about four

seven makes this game feel ancient by comparison

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I've got a copy coming today, but I honestly ordered it mainly for my wife (I'll probably play it after she's done). She doesn't show much interest in many games, so when she does, I try to leverage that. She finished the demo of Pikmin 3 and liked it.

I'm much more of a gamer than she is, but a few titles here and there tickle her fancy. I got her a Switch for ACNH, but her interest in that has petered out. So my hope is Pikmin 3 will get her to dust off her Switch.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I've got a copy coming today, but I honestly ordered it mainly for my wife (I'll probably play it after she's done). She doesn't show much interest in many games, so when she does, I try to leverage that. She finished the demo of Pikmin 3 and liked it.

I'm much more of a gamer than she is, but a few titles here and there tickle her fancy. I got her a Switch for ACNH, but her interest in that has petered out. So my hope is Pikmin 3 will get her to dust off her Switch.

Why dont you play it together? =)

Or you arent much of a Pikmin fan perhaps?

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Yeah, but the Switch user base is much bigger so, who knows, maybe it will finally sell well enough? It's weird that even nintendo didn't market the game very well, as if they're just putting it out there to survive.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
Relative to the other Pikmin games, I think this will sell really well. People are spending more money than ever on games due to quarantine and the majority of switch owners didn't have a Wii U, so this is effectively a new game for a lot of folks.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Purchased but probably won't play till January tbh

Loved the demo and it was only £35, wanted to support Pikmin lol

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Why dont you play it together? =)

Or you arent much of a Pikmin fan perhaps?
I do like Pikmin, actually. I may see if she's down for some co-op. I keep forgetting that Deluxe has co-op for the whole campaign.

I had started playing the original games in anticipation of Deluxe, but my play-through of Pikmin 1 stalled temporarily. I got aggravated with the birds that pop out of the ground on one planet, and I'm a day or two behind in terms of ship parts-to-days is concerned as it is.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo knows exactly who the audience for the game is. lol

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Glad to see the game is currently number 1 on the jp eshop. The IP is pretty popular there.
This game is amazing but outside of Japan I don't see much hype around its release.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
ahhh okay yeah, I get what you mean.

yeah, it's been seven years. that's a lot of time. Mario Kart was only three years, Donkey Kong was about four

seven makes this game feel ancient by comparison
Yeah pretty much.
Yeah, but the Switch user base is much bigger so, who knows, maybe it will finally sell well enough? It's weird that even nintendo didn't market the game very well, as if they're just putting it out there to survive.
I'm not sure. I think this game will do 1-2M. Something has felt off about the advertisement/promo for the game and I think the price will hurt it's ability to sell to core gamers unless they are like me and are Pikmin fans
Nintendo knows exactly who the audience for the game is. lol
Suckers like me! lol

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it, was really ready to pass on it as I had it for WiiU but after playing the demo i guess i had forgotten how much i just like Pikmin as a game.

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
I hope people engaging with Pikmin 3 for the first time have a good time!

This is one of the few Wii U ports I can't justify revisiting for the price Nintendo has set. Maybe when I can score it for $20 digital 3 years from now I'll do it. 720p docked? Really?

It doesn't help that the hold Wii U set up of main game on the TV + Wii Remote controls + GamePad as a map in my lap was a god tier way to play and that's not really an option anymore.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm not sure. I think this game will do 1-2M. Something has felt off about the advertisement/promo for the game and I think the price will hurt it's ability to sell to core gamers unless they are like me and are Pikmin fans
I mean, I've never played a Pikmin game but I'm definitely going to buy this one. Although yeah, the price is a bit high. But!... If it sells 2M I think Nintendo will be happy.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
Damn this is full priced? That's bananas Nintendo.
Never tried any of the Pikmin games and always wanted to try them so I will eventually get it but not at this price point.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's my one of my favourite games on Wii U but I can't justify buying it again for full price. I'll pick it up down the line sometime though.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I think the community has been more annoyed and critical for this game being $60 than any other Wii U port, even more than Tropical Freeze. Why exactly? I get it's not a fair price, but neither was any of the previous 8 ports, so why exactly people are agry now and not 3 and a half years ago with MK8DX

Apr 9, 2019
I was very pleasantly surprised by the demo - I never had any interest in Pikmin and suddenly I was trying to get a gold medal in the mission =P . Will be buying it when it's a tad cheaper which often happens a few weeks after launch.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Playing this game Co op with my husband is bliss♥️♥️♥️

Having multiple save slots should have been there for the first release but I'm glad it's here now as well.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this gets a patch to increase the resolution when the Switch Pro comes out. Such a shame that it's running at 720p.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Got this game for free with the deal on WiiU, needless to say not picking it up at full price. Still a good game though, despite not reaching the heights of 1/2.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the community has been more annoyed and critical for this game being $60 than any other Wii U port, even more than Tropical Freeze. Why exactly? I get it's not a fair price, but neither was any of the previous 8 ports, so why exactly people are agry now and not 3 and a half years ago with MK8DX
MK8D was a fairly substantial improvement. It's performance was better, game mechanics were tweaked, all DLC was included, additional new characters and skins were added, and the battle mode was completely overhauled into something good. Aside from that, it's Mario Kart, like the definitive local multiplayer game, they could have taken shit away and it would still be one of the best selling games on Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.