• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game sticks in your mind the most when thinking "this shit is from the future"?

• Daytona USA Arcade

• Soul Calibur DC

• Metal Gear Solid 2 PS2

• Mario 64 Nintendo 64

• Unreal PC

• Crysis PC

• Quake PC

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 25, 2017
IDEALLY I WOULD LOVE TO ADD MORE TO POLL but with limited options, i put the ones that i see most people mention.

So, in your life, which game has been THE one that sticks out, that made you say "wow, next gen is here, i cant believe what im seeing" at that point in your life, more than any other game?

I thinkkkkkk mine would be Mario 64.

Feel free to state your own in a comment and explain why :) Would love to read about more experiences

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Growing up on NES/SNES/Genesis/N64/PS1

I would say both Rogue Squadron 2 on the Gamecube and the opening of Bioshock on the 360 were where my big, jaw dropped, "how on earth is this even possible!?". reactions happened.

Edit: Oh, and the opening of The Silent Cartographer (Halo) on Xbox always got my blood pumping too.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Daytona USA felt like two generations ahead when it came out in arcades.

I was similarly floored the first time I saw Virtua Fighter 3 and SCUD Race in the arcades though. We hadn't even caught up to Model 2 on home consoles yet.

fixing ranger

Aug 24, 2021
VR. I started Half-Life: Alyx, leaned over the fence in the starting balcony, and was absolutely blown away.

GTA2 to 3 was amazing too, but not as memorable.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Looking back with what I know now, I probably should have been struck most by Mario 64 or Quake. But back then MGS2 definitely made the biggest impression on me.

Oct 31, 2017
It may not look like much today, but when Valve first previewed Half-life 2 to the gaming press at the time, it looked like something out of some science fiction.
That said, the game came out two years later when others were almost catching up.

I think that contextually the time I've been the most impressed when I tried something new first-hand was the first time I played Virtua Racing in a cabinet.

Also, yes, the first Crysis remained for a long stretch something that other companies took years to catch up with.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Almost definitely Mario 64 but seeing Unreal on PC for the first time will always stick with me. It looked so advanced, like nothing I'd ever seen before.

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Of the ones in the poll I'd go with Mario. That leap to 3D was one of the biggest transformations in the industry and Mario is the one that impacted most.

The jump to HD was another big one. I remember being floored by Gears of War and Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
No Ridge Racer on Playstation ? Cause that was the mother of next gen wows.
Being unsure Virtua Fighter would be doable on console some weeks earlier and seeing Ridge racer running on a tv was black magic. Tekken to.

I wasn't that impressed by Mario 64 cause i was fantasizing some sort of HD DKC 2d tech so it didn't look that good to me and i played Tomb Raider before so the whole free cam wasn't that new. Also there was plenty bullshit promises before the N64 reveal, including "the tech from Jurassic park and Terminator 2" lol.

Also 2d wise it was DKC on snes (people thought it was the new Nintendo console when it was revealed) and especially XMEN children of the atom in arcade with a surreal gap in animation.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
there's something about, as a kid, walking into that best buy without any prior knowledge of mario 64 as a thing, and seeing it on those nine crts that was mindblowing.

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
Almost definitely Mario 64 but seeing Unreal on PC for the first time will always stick with me. It looked so advanced, like nothing I'd ever seen before.

yeah while mine is m64 i still remember seeing unreal on a friends high end pc at that time and i just could not believe that it was something that could be actually played

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGS2 maybe? Early 3D looked ugly and it was a wow moment for being 3D but the visuals never looked amazing.

Crysis running on a high end rig in 2007 blew my mind.

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
No Ridge Racer on Playstation ? Cause that was the mother of next gen wows.
Being unsure Virtua Fighter would be doable on console some weeks earlier and seeing Ridge racer running on a tv was black magic. Tekken to.

i had it as one of my OG poll options because its definitely iconic but i have limited options in choices to add and it lost to the ones there :( but absolutely agree, for me, RR is definitely up there

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Rogue Leader and Splinter Cell gave me very unrealistic expectations about what to expect from your average GCN and Xbox games.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 2 had ridiculous levels of enemy and world interaction, ridiculous effects and absolutely fantastic gameplay, all at 60fps on PS2.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Walking into an arcade and seeing Daytona for the first time... it's hard to articulate how *modern* it looked.

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
there's something about, as a kid, walking into that best buy without any prior knowledge of mario 64 as a thing, and seeing it on those nine crts that was mindblowing.

that was basically my exact experience except at a different store. but all the crts lined up, nintendo set up the kiosks there i had no idea what was going on but i lined and and then proceeded to try to pick my jaw off the floor for the next...months? until i was able to play it again and then it redropped to the floor

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
OP should have added Gears of War in the poll as well. Shit was incredible back in 2005/6.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crysis back in 2007.

It has shown its age now, but still looks pretty decent. At the time though, nothing could even come close to it.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic Adventure. I saw it running in a shop on a family holiday to the US when I was young and I remember being astonished at how good it looked.

It also felt like a sneak peak into the future because everything came out much later in the UK at that point.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue was incredible when those first shots came out. I couldn't fathom how it was possible.

1469094038-1518065474.jpg

1468874469-1783872460.jpg

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Still waiting for something to come close to that Mario 64 moment, but I don't think we'll ever get it. It was such a strong leap forward experienced by such an enormous amount of people. For something to match it, it needs to be as profound and as ubiquitous of an example.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Personnaly, I would go for the OG Doom. Wolfenstein3D was already quite something but Doom blew me away, even if it ran like poop on our 386.

But from the poll I will go for MGS2, such a big jump and it still looks great. Unreal would be my 2nd pick.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
This. I voted for Unreal even though I know my child brain could barely process seeing a fluid 3D MArio running around. But that was more that the whole game concept was amazing, I had seen 3D games before that and Unreal was that time where I was legit blown away.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So I mentioned in the other thread that Soulcalibur still blows me away today. Soulcalibur came out at a time where it was just not possible for home video games to look like that and the fact that it did defies my expectations even still. I always think when I go back to it that it will not look as good as I remember it, but it does. It still looks as good as I remember it. As a result it occupies this sort of "permanent next gen" spot in my head where it represents both its own achievement relative to its time of release and also the ability for video games in general to exceed expectations of what is possible. It is both a historical example and a permanent abstract example for me.

There have been many games since then where I think "wow, games will never look better than this." But Soulcalibur is the most definitive.

Also, here's a funny little thing: I never remember how Soulcalibur is spelled. Soulcalibur? SoulCalibur? Soulcaliber? SoulCaliber? Soul Calibur? Soul Caliber? I can never remember where the space is or whether its a U or an E or if there's a space or not. I usually just copy whoever I responded to assuming they had it right. This results in me often getting it wrong. I just looked it up though, it's Soulcalibur!

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
When Mario 64 was first shown off I wanted to see it in motion so much I bought an E3 showcase VHS tape off my very poor internet access at the time.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Bioshock on 360 is probably the most memorable, along with HL2 water and physics.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
Gears of War should be there. Also, and this is one I imagine is a lot more specific to me, seeing NBA Street on PS2 on a really nice tv at the time was pretty wow

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy Taxi on DC for me. They swapped out the N64 for the Dreamcast at my local store and we were absolute blown away once we laid our eyes on Crazy Taxi.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
The MGS2 demo (and final game) are still, in 2021, incredibly impressive. Low polygon count, sure, but the rest is just wow.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Also, here's a funny little thing: I never remember how Soulcalibur is spelled. Soulcalibur? SoulCalibur? Soulcaliber? SoulCaliber? Soul Calibur? Soul Caliber? I can never remember where the space is or whether its a U or an E or if there's a space or not. I usually just copy whoever I responded to assuming they had it right. This results in me often getting it wrong. I just looked it up though, it's Soulcalibur!

like Excalibur!