• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
There are three default difficulty options. 'Normal' is the recommended difficulty, and while challenging, it's not frustrating.
Ori has good checkpoints, for the most part, and immediate reloads, so dying doesn't feel bad.

Awesome. Pretty much what I wanted to hear, in particular with the checkpoints. I'll give it a go.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is Ori difficult? It looks beautiful but I don't do difficult games. I kinda want to play it though.

For reference, people on here said Guacamelee was difficult, and I found it mildly challenging at most.

Its very forgiveable as metroidvania game not like Hollow Knight. It also has frequent auto save so die is not that torturing as you will start again near the dead spot.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
It's a feast for the eyes. Absolutely gorgeous. Add HDR and you're in for a special treat.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Is Ori difficult? It looks beautiful but I don't do difficult games. I kinda want to play it though.
The first Ori isn't too bad but has some fairly difficult (and excessively frustrating) escape sequences.
The sequel is better there, at least on Normal, you should be fine. Ori 2 obliterates everything about 1, I am happy to eat crow about this after being skeptical that the additions would improve it, but they totally do.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Really loved those "not even close" responses. So informative and add so much depth to the discussion.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Hard to think of a 2-d title that looks better. Cup-head has a cute art style that leans on nostalgia but Ori is hands down gorgeous on levels i haven't seen in a 2-d game before.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Ori 2 at 4K / 120fps with HDR is shockingly beautiful. Like you're playing something from the future, honestly.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go with a VanillaWare title - maybe the Odin Sphere Remaster - but WotW is a visual and aural feast.

DeliciousMajesticDunnart-max-1mb.gif
Imagine comparing Ori to this 🤢

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to think of a 2-d title that looks better. Cup-head has a cute art style that leans on nostalgia but Ori is hands down gorgeous on levels i haven't seen in a 2-d game before.

Probably because its a combination of hand painted and 3d elements rather than 2D. The way they light environments is a pretty interesting technique and the animation work is really nice.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Isn't it a mix of both?
It's a 3D game on a 2D plane and it's in and out 3D aspect is why it looks so good. If you open that door then it contends with games like SFV or DBFZ... and Ori looks good but not better than those games.

Cuphead is unsurpassed in 2D animation, but yes Ori 1 & 2 are beautiful games. Odins Sphere and 13 sentinels looks amazing as well.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's a 3D game on a 2D plane and it's in and out 3D aspect is why it looks so good. If you open that door then it contends with games like SFV or DBFZ... and Ori looks good but not better than those games.

That comparison doesn't really make any sense. Those are fighting games with 2 characters locked in a small playable box instead of constantly streaming an ever changing environment which is a visual appeal of its own sort.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Eh?
Personal opinions and all that, but comparing SFV to Ori seems like sacrilege. It's not even a close comparison at all

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
That comparison doesn't really make any sense. Those are fighting games with 2 characters locked in a small playable box instead of constantly streaming an ever changing environment which is a visual appeal of its own sort.
"So Ori and the Will of the Wisp is most beautiful looking 2D game out there"
What doesn't make sense? Either we're talking about all 2D games or not. My comparison boils it down to 3D games played 2D to less complicate the argument. Being a fighting game doesn't mean it can't contend.
Eh?
Personal opinions and all that, but comparing SFV to Ori seems like sacrilege. It's not even a close comparison at all
They're both 2D games, why is this complicated? It's not sacrilege, SFV looks amazing, DBFZ looks even better. Ori looks good but, there's a shit ton 2D games out there that needs respect too and that comes close.
Now if he'd said "2D adventure game" we probably could've close the thread by now (maybe).. but it's "2D game" and I need proof, some videos or something.. lol

Or if this is just another mindless echo chamber then count me out.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to play this on the One S but it was a performance disaster. This was basically the reason I got the Series X, and it's probably the best new game I've played in 2020. Seriously, this game is gorgeous and, more importantly, fun as hell.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Graphics wise Ori 2 is definitely the best looking 2d game I've ever played and that alone makes it worth playing.

Gameplay wise ... eh. Too easy and a bit boring for my tastes.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
"So Ori and the Will of the Wisp is most beautiful looking 2D game out there"
What doesn't make sense? Either we're talking about all 2D games or not. My comparison boils it down to 3D games played 2D to less complicate the argument. Being a fighting game doesn't mean it can't contend.

They're both 2D games, why is this complicated? It's not sacrilege, SFV looks amazing, DBFZ looks even better. Ori looks good but, there's a shit ton 2D games out there that needs respect too and that comes close.
Now if he'd said "2D adventure game" we probably could've close the thread by now (maybe).. but it's "2D game" and I need proof, some videos or something.. lol

Or if this is just another mindless echo chamber then count me out.

You didn't even quantify why you think the fighting games are the best looking, you just asserted it as fact. They're impressive in very different ways so its not easy to compare. "best looking" was subjective to begin with, but you could at least explain why, but like most people its just "nah" and that's it.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's the most beautiful game ever made period. I completed it on XSX recently and it's just astonishing.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
You didn't even quantify why you think the fighting games are the best looking, you just asserted it as fact. They're impressive in very different ways so its not easy to compare. "best looking" was subjective to begin with, but you could at least explain why, but like most people its just "nah" and that's it.
I named off a few 2D games that In my opinion stacks up to Ori and I'm only giving what I get from the thread. The op is only 4 lines long.

But I'll embellish.

The animations in this game are flawless and there's a ton of dope looking content in the game.
mans tons of colors!

DBFZ looks better than the show does and this qualifies as one of the best looking 2D games ever.. a lot of ArcSys stuff looks good.

So basically..

But in all seriousness, I like Ori, and it looks good but there's a lot of other good looking 2D games too. Cuphead is also one of the best looking 2D games ever made.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
agreed OP. Ori 1 and 2 look amazing. Cuphead looks great too but outside that I haven't seen anything come close.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Oh man I can see why people find it beautiful but I can't stand the art style for some reason. Same with Hollow Knight. I really wish I did like it. Clearly a lot of work was put into making the unique visuals a reality.

What I'm holding out for is a 2.5D action platformer like this but using dragon age inquisition's taro-style illustrations.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Huh? I don't understand the people who claim that Ori isn't a '2d game' - Like, what? Asset wise, it's like 99% hand painted assets and the 1% is 3d characters. Comparing that to 2d fighting games where every asset is actually a 3d object is pretty crazy. Ori and the Will of the Wisps uses basically the same technique that games like Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Cuphead, etc. also use, except that we also put a decade of knowledge into it like our rendering system, the shader pipeline, etc. - but ultimately, we laid out hand-painted textures on flat planes in a 3d world, just like everyone else who's making 2d games nowadays.

If you wanna be strict about it, almost no game out there is a sprite-engine game anymore, cause it wouldn't make sense given current hardware.

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
Yeah Ori is really cool
But Vanillaware stuff and specially Rayman Origins and Legends hit different for me

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Ever? I don't know, hard to say. But certainly up there or at the top of the pile for things released in recent years. In general it's just nice to see that 2D gaming remains relatively popular to the point that we are seeing games with a professional budget and talent able to deliver something like this.

I think Owlboy deserves a nod here as well, it's outrageous in terms of detail and animation:

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Huh? I don't understand the people who claim that Ori isn't a '2d game' - Like, what? Asset wise, it's like 99% hand painted assets and the 1% is 3d characters. Comparing that to 2d fighting games where every asset is actually a 3d object is pretty crazy. Ori and the Will of the Wisps uses basically the same technique that games like Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Cuphead, etc. also use, except that we also put a decade of knowledge into it like our rendering system, the shader pipeline, etc. - but ultimately, we laid out hand-painted textures on flat planes in a 3d world, just like everyone else who's making 2d games nowadays.

If you wanna be strict about it, almost no game out there is a sprite-engine game anymore, cause it wouldn't make sense given current hardware.
The strictness comes from the thread and the op. Best looking 2D game ever. 1% 3D or 100% 3D on a 2D plane doesn't really matter in the end as it is fair game, when considering the best looking 2D game ever. I also said when comparing Ori to other games it's the technique you guys use with all its assets that puts Ori over the top of most, imo.

But in this discussion, I feel, all 2D, 2.5D, 3D on 2D planes games of any genre that fits the bill can be in the argument. Why is that "pretty crazy"? :p

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a person who heavily dislikes 2D games, Ori 2 is a masterpiece and a strong GOTY candidate.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Yeah Will of the Wisps is the best looking 2D game, Its really a sight to behold on 4k with HDR. Id love to see more IP's with this quality of 2D graphics.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
"Way more beautiful" in what sense? give something substantial. Gris has some really nice design work and at rare times some traditional animation but its also quite rigid and lifeless with static 2d objects sliding on a plane a lot of the time.
For me, Ori looks CGI/artificial in comparison; the effects and animations look generated/"tweened" rather than organic. It's of course a matter of taste, but I think Gris looks like a work of art, something I could look at in a museum and really enjoy, while Ori looks like a video game. (Which I do enjoy more than Gris, as a video game!)
It's still pretty and impressively made though, and definitely one of the best looking games.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I agree. Ori really is the most visually stunning 2d game if you discard nostalgia.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
love how this game looks, remember it had performance issues by release, now when i check it runs fantastic, even doing a 6k downscale on series x, though would love to experience it on a 120fps display as well.

remember giving up fairly early last time, it was taking some time to get things rolling from what i remember. will do a fresh playthrough some time.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
For me, Ori looks CGI/artificial in comparison; the effects and animations look generated/"tweened" rather than organic. It's of course a matter of taste, but I think Gris looks like a work of art, something I could look at in a museum and really enjoy, while Ori looks like a video game. (Which I do enjoy more than Gris, as a video game!)
It's still pretty and impressively made though, and definitely one of the best looking games.

The background movement is tool/physics assisted, but all the character and enemy animations etc are obviously done with a lot of talent and care. Having hundreds of moving parts to the background layers just isnt possible by hand, and thats why even games entirely based on 2d animation like Cuphead will not even attempt something like that because its kind of insane (the BG are mostly static images in that game).

In the insane sense had they animated all the background elements and plants they would not react the way they do to physical interaction, and that interaction makes the world feel that much more alive (they hand painted how light would effect each layer so they light up as Ori moves around). Like the video posted just before, its really nice models and animations with extra layers of movement on top.

GamerEDM

May 7, 2020
if Im only gonna play one ori game which one should i play? Thanks

Last edited:

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
if Im only gonna play one ori game which one should i play?
Both lol. But seriously. The second one is improved in pretty much all aspects (especially combat), but the emotional aspects will resonate more if you've played the first one. The first game is also shorter, and there are some incredible (and at times frustrating, but the music, omg!) escape sequences that you don't wanna miss out on.
If you play Ori 1, mae sure you use bash as a part of your combat repertoire. It's a super fun mechanic.

But, if you're hell-bent on only playing one game, play Ori 2. It's a masterpiece, and up there with Hollow Knight (but quite different).

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
The background movement is tool/physics assisted, but all the character and enemy animations etc are obviously done with a lot of talent and care. Having hundreds of moving parts to the background layers just isnt possible by hand, and thats why even games entirely based on 2d animation like Cuphead will not even attempt something like that because its kind of insane (the BG are mostly static images in that game).

In the insane sense had they animated all the background elements and plants they would not react the way they do to physical interaction, and that interaction makes the world feel that much more alive (they hand painted how light would effect each layer so they light up as Ori moves around). Like the video posted just before, its really nice models and animations with extra layers of movement on top.
Yeah, I'm not saying it's not ambitious, impressive and made with a lot of care. I just find Gris more aesthetically pleasing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ori 2 is an incredible looking game. Some of the posts in this thread are really strange.

T1sIX8n.jpg

8lpxg5r.jpg

RMWnKeX.jpg

ZJsvpiK.jpg