• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which combo do you think it's most likely?

• PS5 $499 / PS5D $449

Votes: 1,442 35.8%
  • PS5 $499 / PS5D $399

Votes: 1,772 44.0%
  • PS5 $449 / PS5D $399

Votes: 395 9.8%
  • PS5 $399 / PS5D $349

Votes: 144 3.6%
  • Both are the same price but the Digital Edition comes with a game / sub / etc.

Votes: 44 1.1%
  • PS5 $5XX, PS5D: $499

Votes: 230 5.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If PS5 DE is 399, why would sony be so silent about it?, with the $100 dollar difference they shouldn't be worried about anything.

because they were hoping not to have to price it at $400?

same question is if the Series S was $300 why was Microsoft silent about it for so long? heck we didn't even have official confirmation the system existed until now

People said this exact thing about the Series S being $299.

yep, exactly this

Dec 15, 2017
As a pc gamer a 350 USD ps5 digital would be tempting once their BC solution is well detailed.
Having the opportunity to play ps4 exclusives at higher resolutions or framerates would be great. And adding a PSVR2 headset would be the icing on the cake.

I am not willing to spend more than that on a console.

Oct 30, 2017
XSX also has an exotic dual motherboard design and cooling system, which is more expensive than typical (i.e., A few dollars for cooling rather than less than 1 dollar). Also consider that XSX has a proprietary SSD as well, that it is larger than PS5's (1 tb vs 825 gb), and that they are paying licensing/royalties to Seagate for utilising their technology, whereas Sony's in-house process only likely required higher upfront research costs. Sony's PS5 SSD almost certainly costs less than, or at least is comparable in cost to, the XSX's SSD in terms of a per unit cost.This

Both the APU and RAM in PS5, the system's most costly components, are definitely cheaper than those in XSX.

The only cost in the PS5 that will be more expensive than XSX will be the controller and likely only by a few dollars per unit.
Not to mention the potential savings from economies of scale in which Sony is producing 10 million units of the PS5 in the first few months. All of the components are the same.

The Xbox Series will be two different SKUS and in significantly less quantities. I have to imagine that plays into production costs, too.

Oct 27, 2017
Per the originating Bloomberg article, the $450 number would only need to retail at $470 to hit the same margins as the OG PS4 when it launched ($381 BOM retailing at $399). If they have a 499 Disc /449 DE, that basically averages to $475, which is exactly in line with the expectations on pricing to hit similar margins to OG PS4.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-with-playstation-5-price-due-to-costly-parts

So again, I'm not really sure why $599/$549 or $549/$499 is a reasonable pricing guess, given the pricing of the competition and PS5's BOM.
"according to Macquarie Capital analyst Damian Thong."
Imagine if we took all analysts at face value and most the stuff Michael Patcher said was true. Lol

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think they're going to piss off a lot of people. I'm seeing these boxes as $599 and $549.
I was team $499 and $399 before but now I'm not so sure.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
The golden version will sell...

Microsoft can forget having the complete range from the cheapest to the most expensive ;)

It is never about how much anything costs to produce, it's all about what price people is willing to pay.
All versions are not for all customers!

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
With XSS's pricing, they are now forced to release the DE at 399 IMO. That was probably their plan anyway, but it's the only price that feels right. Having the DE at 400+ and the standard version at 100 more would make them more expensive than their direct competitor.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only that makes sense to me now is PS5D at £399 and PS5 £499. I would be floored if PS5D is £349

Oct 27, 2017
"according to Macquarie Capital analyst Damian Thong."
Imagine if we took all analysts at face value and most the stuff Michael Patcher said was true. Lol
This is the best information we have to go by. It is the basis for the whole thread, and while the BOM was an estimate, these analysts have insight into component costing based on the scale of production...something Joe Shmos do not.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how no UHD drive could be a $100 price difference. Microsoft already did this and it was only a $50 difference, unless Sony is willing to sell at a loss.

Because this is not just about the price of the UHD drive. Sony might also want to make people switching to a fully digital PS5 extra appetizing, because with that a consumer is locked into their ecosystem for all future software sales, which brings them in the long run much more profit and is more than worth the initial loss of 50 bucks. And for consumers a 50 bucks difference is not that big of an appetizer when you in return lose an important other option of how and where to buy your games in the future.
On top of that the competitor now has a damn great price point for their cheapest next gen console. Better not have your price too far over that.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I would be pretty shocked if the digital is only $50 cheaper. The value just isn't there for discless. I'd consider going digital only if it's $100 cheaper, but $50? Nah.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
That digital version won't be $100 cheaper. A disc drive is like what $20?

They don't need to push people to buy digital, because it's already happening.

I see either 449/499, or 499/549.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
say you can buy a PS5 at Best Buy for $499. how much does Playstation make from that purchase and how much is Best Buy making?

cause Playstation will be selling some of these directly so they'd be making more from those sales than from other retailers. a digital only console could also recoup $100 price difference after only a few digital game purchases. I think the PS5 Dualsense is going to be very pricey though and idk if that was figured into the BOM from that one report.

I just think PS5 can't cost more than Series X no matter the sku. i also dont think there's anyway they can sell the disc version for less than $499.

Oct 27, 2017
I would be pretty shocked if the digital is only $50 cheaper. The value just isn't there for discless. I'd consider going digital only if it's $100 cheaper, but $50? Nah.
What about $50.00 difference and a pack in bonus exclusive to DE model like a free year of PS+ (retail value $59.99)? This would make sense because it would segue and incentivize online purchases.

This is actually my new guess:

PS5 Disc with Astroboy pack-in digital download: $499.99
PS5 DE with Astroboy pack-in digital download -AND- 1 year of PS+: $449.99

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I think they're going to piss off a lot of people. I'm seeing these boxes as $599 and $549.
I was team $499 and $399 before but now I'm not so sure.
You are raising your estimate from 399 to 549 for the PS5DD edition... because the XSS was just announced at 299?

I don't understand where that $150 comes from.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
499/479. It's either going to be an insignificant difference or a large one lol

Only Sony has a complete timeline view of their digital store metrics. We can't really say there's not enough evidence because Sony has that data.

They clearly think that digital has gotten to a point where the DE is justified and digital is only going to grow further. We (the forum) only have sales data that includes digital in a few markets and that only started a few years ago.

So to go back to my completely baseless guess at the start of this post - disc will be $499, discless will be $479. I don't see why a market leader will devalue their product, I think the 2 versions are purely there to give customers choice.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
$499 and $450

The game of chicken is done now so they need to move along and announce the prices.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for the $449/$499 option, but the more I think about it, it'll probably be $399/$499, and they'll tout that you're not "giving anything up" by going with the digital version besides the drive.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I honestly think Sony is gonna go over $499 for the regular version, and the digital edition being $499.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything other than the disc that the non-disc version lacks? I've seen a lot of estimates that the discless version might be $50 or $100 cheaper, but I think Sony would be taking a bath on it if it's just the disc. I can't imagine that the disc drive costs more than $10 or $20 in hardware, right?

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
If you asked me yesterday I'd have said 500/400.
But with XBOX going for 500/300, they might take a harder look at 450/400 or maybe 450/350 (slim chance).

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
Come on Ms and Sony. SX won't sell for 449 usd. It will be 499 usd and so will ps5 de. Release all you have got and stop the chicken game please.
MS shot now. Sony you are up.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How do you assume that ms isn't eating some of the cost in the series S and the X pricing? It could very well cost that much.
and what makes you so sure Sony isn't willing to eat as much? just to stay in the same price range? No way in hell are they letting xbox series X with its 12TF which is more powerful than the PS5 be cheaper than their console. Being a smart market leader doesn't mean you should be lazy in pricing. I dont see them matching the Series S (xbox played a smart move here, providing a very strong value for buck box), but X would be an easy match in pricing, and if possible I can see them undercut them now the xbox price is out of the bag.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
That digital version won't be $100 cheaper. A disc drive is like what $20?

They don't need to push people to buy digital, because it's already happening.

I see either 449/499, or 499/549.
the drive probably only adds about $10-25 to the BOM but the value of that drive is way higher, having the drive allows you to play PS4 discs, Blu-rays, DVDs, etc. if you want to buy a bluray drive for your computer it's going to cost you at least $50, but if they want to price competitively they could afford to drop the price by $100 cause they can recoup those costs with just a few digital game purchases.

Oct 27, 2017
and what makes you so sure Sony isn't willing to eat as much? just to stay in the same price range? No way in hell are they letting xbox series X with its 12TF which is more powerful than the PS5 be cheaper than their console. Being a smart market leader doesn't mean you should be lazy in pricing. I dont see them matching the Series S, but X would be an easy match in pricing, and if possible I can see them undercut them now the xbox price is out of the bag.
They have done it before?!?

See: Five hundred and Ninety-Nine dollars (2006)

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Really hoping for a $399 digital version. They do that and they've got a sale from me.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything other than the disc that the non-disc version lacks? I've seen a lot of estimates that the discless version might be $50 or $100 cheaper, but I think Sony would be taking a bath on it if it's just the disc. I can't imagine that the disc drive costs more than $10 or $20 in hardware, right?
Disc drive likely costs them $30 but you can add another $10 to $20 for the lifetime associated warranty costs and packaging complexities associated with having a disc drive in the system.

xoxoclvbs

Aug 1, 2020
With Series S and Series X priced at $300 and $500: I'm fully expecting $500 and $400 for PS5 and PS5D. I also wouldn't be surprised with $600 and $500, since we know Sony can't eat it on pricing as much as MS can.

Either way, it can't be only a $50 difference between PS5 and PS5D. They'd cannibalize their own sales (of the PS5D) and ultimately there would be no reason to choose the digital version, even if you plan on staying only digital (this is from someone interested in buying the digital version).

The whole point of the digital console is to make a more affordable option, subsidized by the fact that digital only collectors 1.) buy more 2.) buy more frequently 3.) are now locked into your ecosystem. It's not about the cost of a disc drive.

Last edited:

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see how Sony could shave off $100 by just not including a disc drive. Count me in the 499/449 camp

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I stand by my opinion that there's no point in the digital edition existing if it's only a $50 saving. It's not just about the money made from that customer buying digital only games this generation, but also becoming so invested in your ecosystem that they're never likely to leave. That includes buying games, subscription services, movies and TV shows (no idea who does this but someone must), not just this generation, but future generations too.

It also normalises a digital only console and massively cuts down on used game sales. It's a big win for Sony if you buy one of these consoles. And the lower price just might entice someone who it normally wouldn't.

Exactly. Like, what would be the point otherwise? So many people in this thread are like "Disc drives don't cost $100 lol", completely disregarding the entire strategy of releasing a digital console.

Just like you said: You control the pricing of your software, you get a higher cut of the software profit (for the entire generation), you reduce used game sales, you lock people even deeper into your ecosystem, and most importantly you use this as a justification to position your flagship product as way cheaper than you could afford to do if you only had one SKU.

Charge high for the PS5 ($499), include few months of PS+ or some digital pack-in, then undercharge for the DE ($399), and you drive way more people to the SKU that nets you all those benefits above (and in this case, is close enough to the XSS to dull some of its luster).

I mean anything could happen, but a $50 difference just seems too financially pragmatic, when I think the distinction between SKUs serves a greater purpose than that.

Oct 27, 2017
Oddly enough, I think a lot to it comes down to power consumption and heat. Overclocking a modern GPU is extremely inefficient, both in terms of the nonsynthetic performance gains and the exponential increase in power required/heat output. For reference, the RDNA1 GPUs required a 40% increase in power consumption to achieve a 7% OC. The PS5 has about a 20% OC compared to XSX...

Anyways, that's going to have some sort of affect on chip yields and how large of a cooling solution it'll need. I can't begin to predict how much it'll affect the yields since we only have AMD producing chips at 7 nm and they don't aggressively OC any of them but I'm certain the cooling will have to be more expensive than the XSX. Overall, I'm going to play it safe and predict both versions of the PS5 to cost about the same as the XSX +/- $20 for the Blu-ray drive.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes...by an order of magnitude greater than you are assuming in terms of subsidizing the bluray drive in the PS3.

By some accounts they lost $150 to $200 per unit initially. Losing $50 per unit at the outset is chump change they will make back nearly instantly.
We don't know the pricing of the components fully. We have a mystery BOM from Feb 2020 from a bloomberg article that isn't actually sourced in it, that people assume is exact.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If the digital edition is $100 cheaper, then I'm definitely getting that one. I don't think I've ever used my PS4 disc drive.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
In order to recover the $50 reduction, Sony will need all Digital Edition purchasers to spend $167 more on games than if they had priced the console at $449. Never going to happen.
You think people are going to buy these consoles and not get games? $167 is like two launch games (at $70 a piece) plus a little extra. Then every game after that will have to be digital still, netting Sony even more money over the lifetime of the console. They could price it at like $199 and still make a profit over the lifetime of the console. They won't because they don't have to, but people are vastly underestimating how profitable it is to be the owner of the sole "App Store" on a device.