• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
The line with the 1TB is icing on the cake haha

People here argued "yeah well there aren't going to be any more XBone consoles on shelves, so no confusion" - except when there are

I still maintain they should have distanced themselves as much as possible from last gen, but they did the complete opposite lol

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's unfortunate and I don't think it will be the last if there is stock of old consoles. I still think it's not that difficult, the advertising push is the Series line, nothing else really.

As for the Series brand, it's fine. Low end, high end, maybe a cloud edition one day. Then when new models come out you just say Series X2, Series S2 or Series X 2nd Gen, Series X 2nd Gen.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If you don't know the difference between Xbox One S and Xbox One X you are not well informed.

Well, I had no interested in the Xbox ONE console this gen, so I haven't needed to follow it. I am, however, interested in getting a Series X at some point, and it doesn't change the fact that the naming convention is poor and confusing to a lot of people, even gamers. :/

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I did this myself, it was idiotic but even as someone who has owned at least one of each generation of Sony and Microsoft console I still managed to order a one S instead of a series s!

I knew the difference, of course I did, I just saw the order link the night of launch and clicked through and checked out quickly before I noticed, sorted afterwards but still it's easily done when the boxes are similar and you aren't paying attention!

animalcrossed

Oct 28, 2017
I never understood why people lose their shit about some model names.

Apple does something similar and no one bats an eye (I own an iPhone before someone even tries that)

X,XR,XS,XSM and people are fine.

One S, One X, Series S Series X and its suddenly too much to wrap your head around.

A year later Apple changed this naming scheme, presumably for a similar reason to the confusion over the Xbox naming.
The XR was changed to 11. The XS was changed to 11 Pro.

Meanwhile Series is not inherently better or newer sounding than One and the letter X is not necessarily better than S.

Microsoft really could have just called this the Xbox and Xbox Pro (or Xbox+ or Xbox 4K or any other synonym for 'better'). Heck, just call it the Xbox 6 if you don't want to sound like a lower generation than Sony.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People understand cellphone naming conventions. I don't think Xbox consoles are any more confusing than that.

Do they really though? Most people know you have iphones and androids with no actual understanding of what that means beyond being a "brand". Anything larger is obviously an ipad and laptops are no different from desktops!
The "average consumer" is borderline mentally deficient. I really wish I was exaggerating. Ask anyone with a customer facing job and they'll tell you the same. Average intelligence is just that, average.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe take your own advice
Following me between threads to feel like you've "called me out", good one. If you don't see how calling someone's partner an idiot over something nice they were trying to do and making a cheeky comment aren't the same, then we're not gonna see eye-to-eye on this one.

Good shit.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
A year later Apple changed this naming scheme, presumably for a similar reason to the confusion over the Xbox naming.
The XR was changed to 11. The XS was changed to 11 Pro.

Meanwhile Series is not inherently better or newer sounding than One and the letter X is not necessarily better than S.

Microsoft really could have just called this the Xbox and Xbox Pro (or Xbox+ or Xbox 4K or any other synonym for 'better'). Heck, just call it the Xbox 6 if you don't want to sound like a lower generation than Sony.
I don't think you know how apple's naming scheme works. An S after the IPhone number designates it the speed model, which means it has upgraded internals but is still the same as the iPhone number it belongs to. The iPhone 11 was the next generation iPhone after the XS. Usually Apple releases a new generation every two years with S models in between. They've been doing it for over a decade so I don't think it's confusing.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I had no interested in the Xbox ONE console this gen, so I haven't needed to follow it. I am, however, interested in getting a Series X at some point, and it doesn't change the fact that the naming convention is poor and confusing to a lot of people, even gamers. :/

So are you saying there is still a chance you might accidentally buy the wrong console or?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know anyone that has experienced this because the SS is out of stock everywhere. Guess that means my circles know what they're doing.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly I think the Series S is priced so nice they might as well just stop with the One S anyways, run the stock dry.

I imagine that's what they intend to do, but it's still such early days in the Series lifecycle, that they'll keep selling as many One S consoles as possible until production of the Series S models is more stable

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
The names are straight up confusing for people. Yeah we know the difference, but joe schmo doesn't. Playstation 2. Playstation 5. Easy. Xbox One X. Xbox One S. You swap out the "One" for "Series" and get Xbox Series X. Xbox Series S. What does that mean exactly? It's still Xbox X and Xbox S.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Sony's naming scheme only works for Sony. It wouldn't work for Nintendo because they have too many different product lines. They have their console one, then they had the Gameboy. The DS was technically suppose to be an experiment, which was why it didn't take the GB name, and then it blew up so it became the future. But calling their systems the Famicom 2, 3, 4, 5, etc..would be super boring. Plus NOA changing the name to Nintendo screwed that up

Not to mention PSP -> Vita doesn't follow sequential numbers

This is what could and should have happened:

Nintendo Home consoles:

Japan: Super Famicom, Super Nintendo 2, Super Nintendo 3 ....
World: Super Nintendo, Super Nintendo 2, Super Nintendo 3 ....

Sony Portables:

PSP, PSP2.

Nintendo Portables:

GameBoy, GameBoy Color, Gameboy 2, Gameboy 2 CE, Super Gameboy 2, Super Gameboy 2 Turbo, Mega Gameboy 2 X: Arcade Edition, Ultra Gameboy II Dash plus, Gameboy III, Gameboy 4, etc.

Then, at the very end: Super Nintendo 6 x Gameboy should have been the name of the switch.

Common sense.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't wait to read about all the Christmas day stories.

You just know there are people out there bragging to their friends and workmates how they picked up a new Xbox for their kid and how it was "super easy". How they didn't understand why people were struggling so much...

...only for their kid to open a one s on Christmas day 😂

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the reason MS didn't want to call the second Xbox the Xbox 2 because (Playstation) 3 > 2? I get that they needed to brand their gaming division and they've done a good job of that with Xbox, but let's be real their console names have been terrible since the 360.

And yes, keeping One S on the market at the same time as Series S is confusing.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the reason MS didn't want to call the second Xbox the Xbox 2 because (Playstation) 3 > 2? I get that they needed to brand their gaming division and they've done a good job of that with Xbox, but let's be real their console names have been terrible since the 360.

Yep that's the reason as far as I remember. Don't want to have Xbox 2 vs. Playstation 3. But now they've painted themselves into a corner of names that are less clear about which is the latest. Especially when they release an X and a budget S version of each console. They've released twice the number of next gen console models as Sony, which further dilutes a non-conventional naming scheme.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I had to explain to a parent the difference between series x and one x since I'm selling mine on OfferUp

they thought it was stolen since "the New Xbox goes for $500 but you have it for $200, seems shady"

Microsoft fucked up hard on the name

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017

Has there ever actually been any marketing research that demonstrably shows that consumers gravitate towards products with higher numbers? I've seen it used as justification for dumbass naming conventions, both here and with things like Windows 8 -> Windows 10, but I've never actually seen any evidence that people care how high the numbers are.

Oct 27, 2017
Has there ever actually been any marketing research that demonstrably shows that consumers gravitate towards products with higher numbers? I've seen it used as justification for dumbass naming conventions, both here and with things like Windows 8 -> Windows 10, but I've never actually seen any evidence that people care how high the numbers are.
Doubt it. Probably some exec who felt a type of way and had enough power to force them not to just use numbers. It's the dumbest justification ever. No consumer cares or is directly comparing numbers like that. It's not like people think the Samsung Galaxy phones are more advanced than the Pixels just because they're at like 10+ and the Pixel is at 5.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I had to explain to a parent the difference between series x and one x since I'm selling mine on OfferUp

they thought it was stolen since "the New Xbox goes for $500 but you have it for $200, seems shady"

Microsoft fucked up hard on the name

"Did I say $200? I meant $450."

If Microsoft wants to go with the "Series" convention, I think it's fine. But there'd have been less confusion if they'd called the new models "Xbox Series [any letter that's not X or S]." When you call it "Xbox ___ X," a lot of people's takeaway are just going to be "Xbox X." The "Series/One" is irrelevant.

Again - it's not going to lead to an epidemic of incorrect purchases or anything, but that doesn't mean the name isn't still confusing.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
fzWILvaDZEPcef5IM8YGtxF8zgVA85raOoNQa23-SaGMc9B3iVpjRdUS0RoPU0UGKWOVR-gOZR9BL4PCWqML4Z-ZDE9Y6ZEzuoVY9BKkqyr5_Q

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to believe that NO ONE at Microsoft did not see this coming. It's so funny when these giants makes rookie stupid mistake.

Xbox 5 and be done with it.

I remember I read that they referred to one x as Xbox four internally, So it's only logical to go Xbox 5.

That explanation right there would shut anyone who asks where is Xbox 4 and move on.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to believe that NO ONE at Microsoft did not see this coming. It's so funny when these giants makes rookie stupid mistake.

Xbox 5 and be done with it.

I remember I read that they referred to one x as Xbox four internally, So it's only logical to go Xbox 5.

That explanation right there would shut anyone who asks where is Xbox 4 and move on.
They skipped Windows 9 too.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Yeah It almost happened here with the sister of my wife who was closed to get a One X instead of a serie X, glad I mocked the naming enough to my wife to stop her for making the mistake.

Microsoft was stupid here, no question.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
And to think not long ago mentioning that this would happen people said it was concern trolling.

Oct 27, 2017
This story makes me think about old school brick and mortar video game stores, which had a lot of charm and motivated people working there. I remember buying a Gamecube in 2001 and FFX, and the worked warned me that FFX wouldn't work on the Gamecube. That was professionnal of him.

I'm sure they would've had a field day with the Xbox One / Xbox Series name bungaloo. Now I miss old video games stores ._.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is gonna happen to a lot of people this holiday season. I don't know how Microsoft does not see this problem. Terrible naming on their part.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ooohh it seems the "confused granny" argument was valid all along. Shocking.

This is no doubt another Wii U NAME situation, the naming is just super similar to what came before.

The general public will be confused and if they need to make sure they're buying the right console by asking someone or searching online that just proves this point.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But this forum told me that this kind of thing wouldn't be common.

It's going to be common as fuck come Christmas.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I always felt the naming fomr MS to be confusing.... even as a gamer I have to think a bit about the naming, now its clear that SERIES is the new one, but at the start.... the similar prices also dont help at all!
This remember me of WiiU time, when normal people didnt even understood it was a totally new console.
Expect a lot of wrong christmats gifts this year! :D

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
This forum is trying hard not to insult OP's wife. It's ludicrous that you can still buy new Xbox One consoles with this naming convention.