• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
They really should have just called it the Xbox Two X|S.

Probably some "marketeer" that thought we couldn't handle Xbox Two v.s. PS5

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who isn't into gaming only understands PlayStation naming scheme. PlayStation 5 is obviously the next after PlayStation 4.

I tried to explain Series S/X after ad for them played to my gf and she just told me "why not name it Xbox 4 or Xbox 5, this is stupid" lol

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I also choose OP's wife!

Btw, OP, a bit OT: Series S aside from the initial price is frankly, a abysmal value for money compared to Series X. If you are planning on expanding your repertoire of titles within the Xbox ecosystem over the coming years, I honestly would bite the bullet & go fo XSX.

Edit: I do not mean to be harsh and I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
People on this forum were swearing that this WASN'T going to happen.

I don't understand why Microsoft couldn't just use 2 different letters

OP
OP
Fezan

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
You should. Hope you are able to get a series s with a reasonable delivery date
Yes sick is plenty here so it went be an issue

On one hand lol.
On the other hand, your wife is so sweet

Yes she is.

That's sweet, anyway. My partner is not very supportive of my gaming, so she never buys me anything gaming related...

She was not in the beginning also as gaming is for kids in our culture but now she just see it as a form of entertainment

Never heard of it but looking at the listing there I can understand the confusion. The retailer though should be making it clear that it's been discontinued like amazon has.

Xbox One S 1TB Console - Xbox One S Edition (Discontinued): Xbox One: Video Games - Amazon.ca

Xbox One S 1TB Console - Xbox One S Edition (Discontinued): Xbox One: Video Games - Amazon.ca

It's a big retailer here in middle East. For series s none of retailer here mention that is discontinued

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Never heard of it but looking at the listing there I can understand the confusion. The retailer though should be making it clear that it's been discontinued like amazon has.

I agree, I don't blame the OP's wife or Microsoft (though it is bad naming), the retailer is listing discontinued products right next to the current with a clear intention to shift what inventory they have left.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
All this time Era discussed grandmas confusing these consoles, little did we expect it'd be SOs confusing them 😂

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Given that there's no widespread post-launch chaos with the names, I'm not sure why there's such conviction that the naming convention has led to an absolute disastrous situation for consumers.
No one said chaos/disasters. It's just a shitty, confusing naming scheme that's causing issues.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Hell, I've been paying attention and an on stock drops like a hawk and I almost did something similar today.

I've been trying to get a series X and had a tweet alert about a half hour ago that they were live on Amazon.

Normally I'd use my bookmarks but I was on mobile so I quickly just typed "xbox series x" into the Amazon app. There it was, an Xbox for $499. In my excitement I added it to the cart. I was just about to click the payment button when I got a call from my son's school. I answered the call, and hopped on my computer to see if I could still pay. I clicked on the bookmark from my computer, saw it was out of stock. But I saw I had an item in my cart still. I clicked on it assuming I'd get an out of stock error at checkout, but nope! I could still buy it.

I wanted to sicker l double-check and make sure I wasn't buying a scam from a 3rd party (like just the box or something) then I realized the whole time it was just the Xbox One X.

So yeah, I can see this happening a ton. You'll see sellers post auctions to trick buyers. Something like "Xbox One X Series" or other nonsense, but the official console names alone will cause this problem.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I really like the 'Series' naming, but going with S and X again was super dumb. Should have been Series 4 and Series 4S or something.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It's a horrible naming convention, sure. However we shouldn't let people off the hook for not listening to what we asked for. Probably only once in my life did I ever get exactly what I asked for at Christmas. Usually it was the "close enough" alternative.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Im not saying how to spend your money, but buying a console during tough financial times would be on the bottom of my list.

Tough financial times doesn't mean you dont spend on leisure. You just re budget according to circumstances. Maybe a 300 euro console with subscription for games makes sense for them but 500 quid and buying 60/70 quid games doesn't.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize that Series x was a next gen system when it was first announced. Just though Microsoft had came out with a new version of Xbox one when I saw the headlines.

Oct 27, 2017
As latest consoles are all over the news my wife was interested in knowing which console I will buy. I told her since we don't have a 4k TV at the moment I am leaning towards Xbox series s. It has a subscription service which is great for us in tough financial times.

So today I came home from work and there was a present waiting for me. When I opened it it was Xbox one s. She even boasted that it was better value as it had 1tb storage. Then I told her what has happened and we both laughed.

Has anything like this happened to anyone here?
further proof that Microsoft have the fucking worst game console naming system EVER! I hope you hugged and kissed your lovely wife for at least trying!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Good that you had a laugh about it :)

My brother in law bought me Transformers on HD-DVD once when I didn't have an HD-DVD player. Again, similar name and at the time was right next to the DVDs on the shelf in the store. He had no idea what HD-DVD even was, and just assumed it was a LE or something :)

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the 'Series' naming, but going with S and X again was super dumb. Should have been Series 4 and Series 4S or something.

I agree but series 4S sounds better than just series 4.

Since Microsoft stuck with X and S again, they are going to find themselves in more trouble next generation again.

They definitely should have had a number after Series.

Oct 27, 2017
its why sony is smart.

its the 5th playstation. Playstation 5. There is no way to confuse that.
literally this... I will be pissed TBH if the next PlayStation isnt PlayStation 6... MS should be ambarassed by their consoles names... it confuses gamers and non gamers alike I dont understand it at all! I wonder how many people get the wrong system every christmas becasue of stupid shitty names for gaming consoles.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
literally this... I will be pissed TBH if the next PlayStation isnt PlayStation 6... MS should be ambarassed by their consoles names... it confuses gamers and non gamers alike I dont understand it at all! I wonder how many people get the wrong system every christmas becasue of stupid shitty names for gaming consoles.
and it's so simple to actually show your product is a "sequel" or an improved version. If it's a sequel, you just have to use the next number in a sequence, if it's an improved version, you use an adjective like "super", "pro"
but thinking about that, I can imagine the Super NES actually caused a lot of confusion with parents

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Seriously. What the fuck was Microsoft thinking, and why the fuck do console loyalists feel the need to defend the worst naming convention since the Wii U?

I'm a hardcore enthusiast on a message board and I still get it confused all the time. Literally have had to break down sentence structure to understand what reviewers were describing when comparing Cyberpunk and it's massive differences running on the Xbox One S, the Xbox One X and the Xbox Series X and the Xbox Series S...

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I had a customer doing an Amazon return yesterday who did the same thing. He was buying it for his son and bought an Xbox One X instead of an Xbox Series X.

He thought he was going to be the Conquering Hero and instead...