• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given that there's no widespread post-launch chaos with the names, I'm not sure why there's such conviction that the naming convention has led to an absolute disastrous situation for consumers.
It's not disastrous but the insane defense you and others sure love to do regarding the naming is insane. It's confusing and threads like this continue to show that.

Yes she is. We have already asked for a refund and as soon as we get it shell order series s.
Awesome, glad your wife is great and you both were able to get it resolved really quickly.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I don't know why people here keep saying this wouldn't be an issue when it clearly is.

Yup. When not buying the wrong console requires the store not carry the older versions or people ask the associate for help clarifying which is which instead of the naming just being distinct and obvious, then it's a bad name.

It's saying something when even gamers sometimes accidentally refer to the old models when speaking of the new ones.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This isn't really a great comparison, because the iPads aren't all distinct platforms.

The Xbox One, The Xbox One S, and the Xbox One X are one family of platforms with escalating performance.

All but one of those have been discontinued and won't be on shelves or online stores anywhere.

Making things more confusing, The Xbox Series S is BC compatible with Xbox One software, but will NOT play Xbox One X versions of those games. Only the Series X can play the enhanced Xbox One X versions of Xbox One games.

...I don't think this detail is something the average Christmas shopper has any interest in.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
its why sony is smart.

its the 5th playstation. Playstation 5. There is no way to confuse that.

Dec 15, 2017
There is not an argument that the name is a catastrophic mess of confusion, because it isn't.

These are isolated cases and while they will happen, they will be a small number overall.

That said, imo there's still no argument for it being an incredibly stupid naming scheme and purposely confusing for no reason at all. Just name it something else ffs, it's not difficult.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's not disastrous but the insane defense you and others sure love to do regarding the naming is insane. It's confusing and threads like this continue to show that.

'Insane'

over diverging opinions on the names of plastic boxes. Really?

There is an argument that the name is a catastrophic mess of confusion, because it isn't.

These are isolated cases and while they will happen, they will be a small number overall.

That said, imo there's still no argument for it being an incredibly stupid naming scheme and purposely confusing for no reason at all. Just name it something else ffs, it's not difficult.

Fully agreed with this. It can lead to confusion for those who haven't kept up with ads, but it's not going to be widespread, and it'll completely fade away when last gen is discontinued.

an avoidable mess, but not catastrophic or Wii-U Esque by any stretch of the imagination.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
It really is unreal how bad it is. I just can't imagine how a company could botch such an easy thing.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair "one" and "series" are different.

With other products, you don't even get that. Which iPad do you buy, iPad or iPad?

I bought the latest iPad this year and it was simple. I bought the iPad.

When they announced the iPad (8th Gen), it replaced the iPad (7th Gen) on the website. You had no choice but to get the new one. Apple doesn't sell the new model alongside the previous model for iPads and Macs. They do for iPhone and Apple Watch, but those get different names so you can tell them apart.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
True. I get the confusion. I'd just advise loved ones to look for Xbox "Series" not "One"

Imagine this conversation:

"hi, I'd like to buy an Xbox for my husband."

"Sure, the new ones are the Series S and the Series X. Do you know which one you want?"

"No, I'm not sure. He does have an Xbox already though."

"Great, is his current Xbox an Xbox One, an Xbox One S, or an Xbox one X?"

"I'm not sure?"

"If he has the Xbox One X he may want to go with the Xbox Series X, and not the Xbox Series S since that one can play Xbox One versions of games but not Xbox One X versions of games if he already has that. If your television is 4K or you are planning a 4K tv purchase, you may also want to consider the Series X over the Series S"

"I'm going to need to come back later."

I used to have identical conversations like this one every year about WAY less confusing platforms than what the Xbox is right now. Your typical holiday shopper HATES industry jargon, doesn't have all of this info and isn't in the mood to discuss it.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Glad you could laugh about it. The name is a mess, and for someone who isn't intimately aware of videogame details and no one at the store asked, this is going to be inherently confusing.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
I never understood the insistence that MS's Xbox naming convention won't be at all confusing to people.

Hell, it's confusing to me.

They're dumb names, man.

Yeah, the two most common arguments I saw were "people don't get confused when upgrading their phones" and "the One S model will be off the shelves when the Series S and X is out so there'll be no confusion". The latter being lousy when it is still out in some countries.

OP, your wife sounds like a great person. I'm glad it worked out.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Not trying to war here, but people said it wouldn't be an issue this early into the gen, but here it is already causing problems. The marketing was good (maybe too good?) and on paper, sure it made sense, but ultimately you're only going to continue to run into these kinds of performance problems as you try to execute more comprehensive tasks. Let this be a lesson for those considering the more accessible S model--also hold out for the Series X-significant other. The S will just let you down.

Hresvelg

Feb 22, 2020
I wish I were joking but I swear I read through your post numerous times thinking "but she got exactly what you wanted???" before I finally got it.

Oct 29, 2017
Ppl are saying how confusing the names are and I can somewhat agree. It's not dead simple but do ppl really think buying the wrong console would actually stop?

OP
OP
Fezan

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Glad you could laugh about it. The name is a mess, and for someone who isn't intimately aware of videogame details and no one at the store asked, this is going to be inherently confusing.

She ordered it online. She is tech savvy just not into videogames.

That's a nice outcome. Why does your title have a sad face in it?
Sadness as it ruined her surprise and I have to wait two weeks almost to get a new console.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I honestly feel like it's somehow worse than the 3ds/2ds naming they've had. At least those are all one generation of consoles and have mostly the same features and power

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine this conversation:

"hi, I'd like to buy an Xbox for my husband."

"Sure, the new ones are the Series S and the Series X. Do you know which one you want?"

"No, I'm not sure. He does have an Xbox already though."

"Great, is his current Xbox an Xbox One, an Xbox One S, or an Xbox one X?"

"I'm not sure?"

"If he has the Xbox One X he may want to go with the Xbox Series X, and not the Xbox Series S since that one can play Xbox One versions of games but not Xbox One X versions of games if he already has that. If your television is 4K or you are planning a 4K tv purchase, you may also want to consider the Series X over the Series S"

"I'm going to need to come back later."

I used to have identical conversations like this one every year about WAY less confusing platforms than what the Xbox is right now. Your typical holiday shopper HATES industry jargon, doesn't have all of this info and isn't in the mood to discuss it.
That's a way to overestimating a store staff.
Mostly they will just ask you expensive one and cheaper one, with one is more powerful other one is less powerful, they are not spend loads of time to explain lots of things nor care about which TV consumer have.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
its why sony is smart.

MS is the one actually smarter. They made OP's wife purchase a discontinued product that MS wants to clear off shelf. Then a possibility of them getting a Series S in the future too!

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
That's sweet, anyway. My partner is not very supportive of my gaming, so she never buys me anything gaming related...

Oct 29, 2017
its why sony is smart.

Unless the parent is like didn't he say he wanted Playstation? Hey look a Playstation on the shelf even if it has 4 in the name lol. I get the sentiment but I guarantee if they made it Xbox 4 ppl will be saying how MS was dumb to be less than 5. MS can not win

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
That's a way to overestimating a store staff.
Mostly they will just ask you expensive one and cheaper one, with one is more powerful other one is less powerful, they are not spend loads of time to explain lots of things nor care about which TV consumer have.

Speaking of my personal experience, guy. I was "store staff" for years both commissioned and later hourly, and there are reasons why you don't just say "go with the cheaper one" or "not care about what tv a consumer has" when selling equipment.

All that does is cause upset calls to management and a lot of returns when the product wasn't what they expected. Just because someone is retail staff doesn't mean they don't have pride in doing their job.

edit: In fact, the last store I was at before leaving retail was DIRECTLY next to a Walmart that sold much of the same stuff we did, but cheaper. When asked by customers who were only concerned about getting the cheapest possible thing I'd tell them to head right over there to buy a product if they were so inclined- but 9 times out of 10 that customer would be right back in 30 minutes because Walmart staff did not care to know the first thing about the product on their shelves and did not give a shit about answering questions.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Our parents bought us Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 for PS1 instead of PS2 one christmas and I think there was some mix-up when I think I asked for Crusader: No Remorse as a christmas present as well, and the game I got that year was definitely NOT that. I don't remember what it was but I was kind of annoyed how they could make such a mistake. 😓

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
With the series x it's not confusing because the one x has sold through. The S there is definitely confusion if you don't provide a picture or carefully check what you're buying.

I think the issue will subside next year as I don't see the Xbox one being sold much beyond this holiday. There won't be much reason to keep it in production once the series can keep up with demand.