• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Get a new wife.

She sounds sweet. I'd be so smitten by the gesture, haha. I'd probably feel bad to explain it, actually...

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
As latest consoles are all over the news my wife was interested in knowing which console I will buy. I told her since we don't have a 4k TV at the moment I am leaning towards Xbox series s. It has a subscription service which is great for us in tough financial times.

So today I came home from work and there was a present waiting for me. When I opened it it was Xbox one s. She even boasted that it was better value as it had 1tb storage. Then I told her what has happened and we both laughed.

Has anything like this happened to anyone here?

I fear this could happen to me on Christmas day..!!!!

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This will be extremely common during Christmas, there is gonna be a lot of disappointed people.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think its all that complicated but given that you cant find a Series X/Series S Im going to guess that a lot of people who wanted those are going to get Xbox One S/X instead

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why people here keep saying this wouldn't be an issue when it clearly is.

Definitely a problem at launch but since the Xbox One S is no longer being produced, once stock is gone it will no longer be an issue. Inside of a year there will be no more One S systems on shelves. This is probably how Microsoft chose to look at it.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Those are even tough to find. All consoles are sold out where I live. Can't find on Amazon or Best Buy. Xbox One S and PS4s. I see people selling those on eBay well over MSRP.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
For our first Christmas together, my wife (then girlfriend) bought me a Bluray when I had no Bluray player. She was under the impression that 360s could play Blurays because the worker at FYE ensured her that they could. We had a laugh and exchanged it for the DVD version of the movie.

Glad your wife was able to laugh about it.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I went to school with a kid who told everyone he had a commodore Amiga for Christmas as he snuck a look at the box. Turns out it was a commodore plus 4.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Lol it's funny that what she focused on was the 1tb, stinks but I'm glad y'all laughed about it and can hopefully return it of course. This will likely be a small issue this holiday but I don't see it being a big one or one that continues past the holiday.

When MW2 was coming out we all got it for Christmas and one friend got Cod 4, it was hilarious but we all chipped in and got him mw2 since he couldn't return it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Who thought literally no one would accidentally buy the wrong product? You think no one bought the PS4 instead of the PS5 because it was cheaper?
Go and look through the various threads and posts about this and you'll find plenty of people who said that very thing, afraid I'm not your personal search engine. Failing that go and search online for all the people who ordered a One S or One X by mistake when the pre-orders for the Series X/S went live.

By all means prove me wrong but I haven't seen articles where people have pre-ordered a PS4 by mistake instead of a PS5?

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Jokes aside, she sounds like a great woman to try to buy you something for your hobby. I say just explain to her the differences and get it exchanged. I bet she'll completely understand, once you explain the confusing naming scheme.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Sorry, man.

The Xbox naming scheme is confusing, so some consumers, even informed consumers, are going to be confused.

OP
OP
Fezan

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
No one sells the Xbox One S in store, and if you buy them online they cost $100+ MORE than a Series S.**

I can see making the mistake, but you have to go out of your way to do it, haha. Should have told her if it was more than $299, it's the wrong system. One S is going for a stupid amount right now...like $400-$500.

**In the US, is OP from somewhere else? Is there stock still up/allowed in other countries?
Yes I live in Saudi Arabia plenty stock here for all Xbox

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's just the pandemic situation or lack of stock but Xbox One S consoles seem to still sell for a very good price on ebay these days, you would think the price would crater but the price they still sell for seems rather high but fortunate if your trading up.

Oct 27, 2017
A coworker of mine said their room mate did the same thing.

I've heard Digital Foundry folks slip and say Xbox One S a couple of times when referring to the Series S in some of their conversational videos.

The names shouldn't be this difficult.
I've definitely started referring to them as the new big Xbox and the new small Xbox.

It's not a big deal but it also isn't a non-issue.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That is a bummer, but still the gesture is super super thoughtful

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why some people didn't think there would be initial confusion, at least this year, with the naming conventions lol

She sounds awesome though and when you get your actual Series S you can be reminded of that moment together lol

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
There's people at my work that will sell these and they don't know what they all are. With PS5 it's dead clear. But all these S and X it's not that easy when you don't know.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I even made this mistake. At work, I put my name in for a raffle for what I thought was an XSS, nope, it's an XBOS. It's a really easy mistake to make.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3Wr4yrqY5IgwdaoRYyOktomhk9Hhi2FoNh2DnVcHBdjqh6gZKl7eeqCgOgVCBh4OJ8VQv5z1xdbAl9o-CnmeGbUw5kI99WdMYBrPQ7VpPJl2WQ

Their naming sense is atrocious.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
To be fair "one" and "series" are different.

With other products, you don't even get that. Which iPad do you buy, iPad or iPad?

This isn't really a great comparison, because the iPads aren't all distinct platforms.

The Xbox One, The Xbox One S, and the Xbox One X are one family of platforms with escalating performance.

The Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X are a platform distinct from the previous three, and there is software that will only play on these but not the Xbox One Family.

Making things more confusing, The Xbox Series S is BC compatible with Xbox One software, but will NOT play Xbox One X versions of those games. Only the Series X can play the enhanced Xbox One X versions of Xbox One games.

I'm glad I don't work selling electronics anymore, because I would not want to be the salesguy that has to explain that a dozen times a day to christmas shoppers.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
MS did pretty much everything right with this console launch except that naming convention. What a dumb fucking idea.

Yup I like my Series S but I was aware about the rumors since last year. I know very well what is a Series S and I even write One S sometimes lmao
A coworker of mine said their room mate did the same thing.

I've heard Digital Foundry folks slip and say Xbox One S a couple of times when referring to the Series S in some of their conversational videos.

The names shouldn't be this difficult.
I've definitely started referring to them as the new big Xbox and the new small Xbox.

It's not a big deal but it also isn't a non-issue.

Xbox Smoll Edition

OP
OP
Fezan

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Jokes aside, she sounds like a great woman to try to buy you something for your hobby. I say just explain to her the differences and get it exchanged. I bet she'll completely understand, once you explain the confusing naming scheme.
Yes she is. We have already asked for a refund and as soon as we get it shell order series s.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
This isn't really a great comparison, because the iPads aren't all distinct platforms.

The Xbox One, The Xbox One S, and the Xbox One X are one family of platforms with escalating performance.

The Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X are a platform distinct from the previous three, and there is software that will only play on these but not the Xbox One Family.

Making things more confusing, The Xbox Series S is BC compatible with Xbox One software, but will NOT play Xbox One X versions of those games. Only the Series X can play the enhanced Xbox One X versions of Xbox One games.

I'm glad I don't work selling electronics anymore, because I would not want to be the salesguy that has to explain that a dozen times a day to christmas shoppers.
True. I get the confusion. I'd just advise loved ones to look for Xbox "Series" not "One"