• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
My controller arrived today. I paired it via bluetooth (using a USB Mpow Adapter Bluetooth 5.0) and it recognized it no problem. I tried a couple of games and everything seemed to be alright. However, after playing RDR2 for a while the gamepad started to disconnect and I was prompted on screen to press any button to reconnect. After a while I could't even reconnect. The controller was flashing and not responding. I tried the usual stuff, reinstall drivers, tried both Mpow drivers and Windows 10 generic bluetooth driver, but still getting these random disconnections.

And apparently more people are having these issues from what I've read on reddit.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I think going back to Xbox One controllers with bluetooth there have been issues with bluetooth connections; lag, connection issues, audio bugs. Any time I see someone talk about using an Xbox controller on PC, I always see it likewise recommended that they use MS's controller dongle.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There was already a thread about this.

Microsoft has been having Bluetooth issues with their controllers since the Xbox One. I personally have never gotten my own controller working in Windows 10 via Bluetooth. The inputs were all mashed together and banged up. Doesn't happen with any other Bluetooth device (including controllers).

I suggest buying an Xbox Wireless Adapter since Microsoft is apparently incapable of figuring out Bluetooth. The adapter instantly fixed my problem with my Xbox One controller, and my Xbox Series controller is also working perfectly.

SlightlyLive

QA
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
I got mine today, and it pairs fine with Bluetooth but doesn't register in games or the Xbox Accessories app. Plug it in via USB and it works fine. Can't seem to use it wirelessly though, which defeats half of the point. I've had no luck trying to get it to work, with drivers and restarts.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I have been using a Project Scorpio controller on my PC through Bluetooth for quite some time, and it has always had some connection issues, I ended up getting a Dual Sense and trying that and I haven't had any problems whatsoever, so maybe it's an Xbox controller thing? Not sure.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Sucks but doesn't personally surprise me, my Xbox One controller with the official wireless adapter also has connection/weird issues. My PS4 official adapter and controller have been flawless though.

Pat

Oct 27, 2017
Ok looks like I'll be waiting a bit for that then. Not that surprising after the Series Elite 2.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that sounds like the random issues one can get with the xbox one controller connected via bluetooth. I've had random disconnects with it before, performance drops, and random input latency. What is it exactly with these xbox controllers that causes them to exhibit these issues? I don't think any of my other bluetooth controllers have this problem

OP
OP
mario_O

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Sucks but doesn't personally surprise me, my Xbox One controller with the official wireless adapter also has connection/weird issues. My PS4 official adapter and controller have been flawless though.
does this dongle work with the series x, or is there a newer version? i believe this one is a couple of years old.
61WUMB3iS4L._AC_SL1161_.jpg

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Do these connect to the existing Xbox Wireless Adapter?
Bluetooth is a bad idea with Xbox controllers on PC. They seem to cause all sorts of performance issues.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Attach it via usb, open up the Xbox Accessories app, and make sure the controller firmware is up to date.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck 😅

I just bought one to play exclusively on pc, because one of the bumper switches of my xbone controller stopped working.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Do a windows update and re-pair the controller.

After that it should work.

I had the same problem as OP and this worked for me.

SlightlyLive

QA
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
Do I need to have to buy a stupid extra dongle because this controller doesn't work right? What a pile of shit. Updating the firmware hasn't helped my situation either. Works fine when connected. Appears fine and paired in Bluetooth but no games or the app register it.

So an extra dongle for PC is required? And that extra cash for a battery pack. Feels like a next-gen product so far.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Do I need to have to buy a stupid extra dongle because this controller doesn't work right? What a pile of shit. Updating the firmware hasn't helped my situation either. Works fine when connected. Appears fine and paired in Bluetooth but no games or the app register it.

So an extra dongle for PC is required? And that extra cash for a battery pack. Feels like a next-gen product so far.

I was having the same issue. A new bluetooth antenna fixed it for me.

Polaris

Oct 29, 2017
Twin Cities, Minnesota
So it's not just me having these issues then? I got the Elite Series 2 and was really bummed when the inputs were very laggy. I really hope I don't need to buy a dongle to resolve this issue.

Shade Vortex

Oct 28, 2017
USA, WA.
This is honestly the reason I always kept my Xbox Series X controller connected by cable. This is ALSO why I replaced my Xbox One Controller with a Series X controller- because FUCK MicroUSB. It's a POS technology and I'm glad we're finally moving onto USB C.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So the word to get it working with Bluetooth properly and Windows is to update the firmware or using the Xbox accessories app, and then applying the latest Windows feature update? Alrighty then

OP
OP
mario_O

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
So the word to get it working with Bluetooth properly and Windows is to update the firmware or using the Xbox accessories app, and then applying the latest Windows feature update? Alrighty then
Updating the gamepad using a cable with the Xbox accesories app seems to have fixed the issue for me. Yesterday I played for hours with no disconnections. So far so good.

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I feel like an idiot now for assuming a bluetooth controller would just "work" in 2021. Sony's controllers have zero bluetooth connectivity issues, but Microsoft apparently hasn't figured out how bluetooth works still.

Currently running through the gamut of troubleshooting options to see if the random disconnects can be fixed without buying a fucking dongle

Pat

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to buy one and got the bluetooth issue (constantly disconnecting). I updated the firmware and it seemed to work better, but the issue was still there... I returned it.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I feel like an idiot now for assuming a bluetooth controller would just "work" in 2021. Sony's controllers have zero bluetooth connectivity issues, but Microsoft apparently hasn't figured out how bluetooth works still.

Currently running through the gamut of troubleshooting options to see if the random disconnects can be fixed without buying a fucking dongle
It's galling that once again MS can't get something crucial working right in their own operating system, and you may not want to buy their dongle out of sheer spite, which I totally get, but I got one and it's really excellent. Seamless, easy, no messing around with W10 bluetooth or pairing. It just works every time. I'm really glad I got one, even if initially I was against it.

I can only vouch for compatibility with Xbox One pads, but seeing as MS is so *consumer friendly* (unless you're on pc) I have to imagine the new pads work with the old dongles because presumably they have continued to use the same technology.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
I have used these controllers on PC for years (XB1 version and now XSX version) and not had issues. I think the Bluetooth transmitter/receiver on most PCs is pretty average...my Asus motherboard came with an external arial that is definitely necessary with my new case though.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
In terms of wireless reliability I have the 360 wireless with adapter at #1, dualsense with bluetooth at #2 and one/series with adapter in third. One/series controller with a bluetooth adapter I don't advise at all.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The Xbox controllers don't support bluetooth on PC. Microsoft says they do, but the reality is that it doesn't work.

Use the official wireless receiver. It uses the same propietary wifi solution that the Xbox consoles use.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
On the plus side, after installing a windows feature update, updating the firmware on my controller through the accessories app that is surprisingly difficult to search for on the microsoft store, and restarting my pc, my controller seems to have stopped randomly disconnecting. Let's hope it lasts.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Been there, done that with an Xbox One controller on PC and the only solution was that $25 USB dongle.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
On the plus side, after installing a windows feature update, updating the firmware on my controller through the accessories app that is surprisingly difficult to search for on the microsoft store, and restarting my pc, my controller seems to have stopped randomly disconnecting. Let's hope it lasts.

Please, update us in a week if it's truly fixed - I would love to be able to use my Elite v2 over bluetooth.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I recently get a series X controller to use on PC and am having the exact same issue. Waiting on my dongle now :|

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Please, update us in a week if it's truly fixed - I would love to be able to use my Elite v2 over bluetooth.
I'll return with an update if anything changes, but for now I've been playing Dark Souls for the past couple hours with no disconnects, lag or input issues since the troubleshooting.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Same, and the worst part is that it's completely random. I've been playing Death Stranding and sometimes the controller will work fine for an hour or more and sometimes it starts disconnecting within the first five minutes and does so repeatedly within the next half hour or so before disconnecting completely, requiring a restart.

And Death Stranding is one of the worst games to have a controller disconnect on you.

Buying a $20 add-on for a $60 controller isn't an acceptable solution either. It's 2020, Bluetooth has been in products for over twenty years now, there's no excuse for it when every other Bluetooth device I own works flawlessly.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was having this exact problem when I was playing Hades.
I've updated the firmware so I'll see how that goes.