• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't cried so much in 11 years. That's when my father died. Palliative care home called me. She has hours to live. Maybe days if we're lucky. Generalized cancer can fuck off. I need some positivity people. Help me.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am so sorry, the only thing I can say is I hope you get to spend some time with her in her last moments and have maybe some solace that she won't be suffering any more. You seem like you love your mom very much and I'm sure she's overjoyed over the time she's had to spend with you your whole life.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry Dullahan Best wishes to you. Hold strong! Remember her and her best moments. That's all we can do sometimes.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
My mom passed away from lung cancer in 2008. It was one of the roughest times in my life but I am glad shes not suffering anymore. Still miss her but the pain is not as great. You will get through this just stay strong and cherish the memories you had.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
I'm sorry you're going through this. Keep strong and stay by your mother's side. Surround her with love and remember her love for you.

Oct 31, 2017
Hey friend, it's awful. Nothing I can say will make it any better now. But bit by bit by bit you'll come back and eventually it will be bearable . Sorry I can't offer anything better. Just know that it's worth keeping going on.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Cherish the fact that she was your mom. You're a lucky person that you had such a wonderful woman to call your mother. The harder it is to lose someone only reinforces how important they were to your life. I'm terribly sorry for the pain you're feeling. It's rough knowing amazing people.

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
My dad beat cancer twice within the last 15 years but today we had to say goodbye to him anyway. COVID19 can fuck off. I feel you man, I am totally devastated, same as my sister and my mum.
My sister said something beautiful to me today: Grief first feels like a rock that is suffocating you, then you chip it away bit by bit over time. And in the end you put the last small piece into your pocket and keep it there for the rest of your life.
Stay strong and cherish every moment you had with her.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry OP. That's heartbreaking. I wish you the best in these hard times.

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
My dad beat cancer twice within the last 15 years but today we had to say goodbye to him anyway. COVID19 can fuck off. I feel you man, I am totally devastated, same as my sister and my mum.
My sister said something beautiful to me today: Grief first feels like a rock that is suffocating you, then you chip it away bit by bit over time. And in the end you put the last small piece into your pocket and keep it there for the rest of your life.
My condolences to you and your family.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry to hear that OP. I hope she is resting and at peace during the process. You should spend this precious time with her if you can. We will be here for you after when you need to grief. Now is the time to be with her.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I'm so sorry. The worse the hurt, the greater the love, so it sounds like you have a pretty incredible family. I'm sure your mom is as proud of you for getting through this as you are of her.

Oct 29, 2017
This is beautiful. Lost a close relative this year. Very true.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My condolences, she sounds like a truly wonderful person.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
This is an incredibly moving sentiment and I teared up reading it. Thank you for sharing it, I will carry it with me.
My sincere condolences to you and Dullahan

Lange

Oct 22, 2020
Canada
You'll come out of this stronger, OP. I'm very sorry, losing your mom is certainly a pain no one should feel.

Fuck this disease.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I lost my mom about a month ago. She had cancer for a while, but it progressed super quick and it turned out it had spread to places we didn't expect. Just a few weeks before she was told that she had another 6 months to a year with no treatment, and longer with treatment.

My biggest wave of grief was when I realized she had weeks, at most, to live. It ended up being less than 1 week. I was upset when she died of course, but that first call learning that she would never walk again (cancer in her bones had paralyzed her), that she would never return home, that she didn't have much time left... I was destroyed that day. I was losing sleep thinking about the pain, physical and emotional, she must be in. I was extremely anxious to just see her as much as possible (I was luckily able to facetime with her a bunch of times and visit 3 times in that last week).

When she was gone, I felt a sense of relief that her suffering was over. And it's funny how your perspective changes. I'm in my 30s and have been fairly close to her my whole life, but now I'm thinking I never really got to know her. Over the past couple of years I had been seeing her more, and in particular it was great to see her spend time with my son (who's just a toddler). But now it feels like she's been ripped away from us, just before things were supposed to get good. She lived alone and didn't have much money, but she was retired now. My sister and my wife and I make pretty good money and wanted to treat her to things she missed out on, like travelling the world and living with more financial security and freedom. Spend time with her grandkids. It's like all the shared struggles we had amounted to... nothing. It's easier knowing she was proud of us and happy with where we were in our lives. But fuck, I wanted to share that with her.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Sorry Dullahan, I remember seeing your post in the Sims 4 thread, sincere condolences, I know there's nothing to say that will make this better, but just know that you aren't alone and if you ever want to talk stuff about the Sims or anything else just to try and take your mind off, you're welcome to message me.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I lost my mom about a month ago. She had cancer for a while, but it progressed super quick and it turned out it had spread to places we didn't expect. Just a few weeks before she was told that she had another 6 months to a year with no treatment, and longer with treatment.

My biggest wave of grief was when I realized she had weeks, at most, to live. It ended up being less than 1 week. I was upset when she died of course, but that first call learning that she would never walk again (cancer in her bones had paralyzed her), that she would never return home, that she didn't have much time left... I was destroyed that day. I was losing sleep thinking about the pain, physical and emotional, she must be in. I was extremely anxious to just see her as much as possible (I was luckily able to facetime with her a bunch of times and visit 3 times in that last week).

When she was gone, I felt a sense of relief that her suffering was over. And it's funny how your perspective changes. I'm in my 30s and have been fairly close to her my whole life, but now I'm thinking I never really got to know her. Over the past couple of years I had been seeing her more, and in particular it was great to see her spend time with my son (who's just a toddler). But now it feels like she's been ripped away from us, just before things were supposed to get good. She lived alone and didn't have much money, but she was retired now. My sister and my wife and I make pretty good money and wanted to treat her to things she missed out on, like travelling the world and living with more financial security and freedom. Spend time with her grandkids. It's like all the shared struggles we had amounted to... nothing. It's easier knowing she was proud of us and happy with where we were in our lives. But fuck, I wanted to share that with her.
My sincere condolences. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so so sorry...

My mom died from cancer this past summer, and watching it progress, slowly realizing there was no way to help it... nobody deserves to go through those moments.

I'm so incredibly sorry, for this to hurt so bad means you've got a wonderful mom through OP. All my best to you both

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
As I also had a mother who died to cancer, I completely know that feeling.

It will take time. Not to forget, but to adjust the best you can. Find a close friend and keep them near you. They'll definitely help you through this.

Nov 24, 2020
Tampa, Fl
I am so sorry, she sounds like a wonderful person. I lost my mom in July, she coded right infront of me and all I could do is watch behind the glass(covid concerns obviously). It gets easier eventually but I still break done at random times. Will keep you in my thoughts.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am very sorry for all the lost moms in this thread. My sincere condolences.